Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

cordless drill/car jack experiment...cordless drill question

Had to do the winter tire changeover the other day. Tweaked back at wheel #3. Figured I should look into a back saving system for the future and didn't wanna spend a bunch of bucks for a floor jack, impact drill, etc...

You tubed ghetto systems for car jacking using a regular cordless drill and attachments to car jack.

Ended up using this system and it worked awesome for my little Toyota Matrix.

Only thing is...the 20V cordless drill had a slight electrical burning smell after jacking the one wheel. I used a moderate speed, reversed it, and went up again at higher speed just for testing sake. High speed seemed easier on the drill.

Is this a sign that the drill is getting wrecked or just working hard?

Name:  P1110706.JPG
Views: 1064
Size:  132.5 KB

Name:  P1110708.JPG
Views: 1166
Size:  127.6 KB

Name:  P1110710.JPG
Views: 982
Size:  108.5 KB
    Master of mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by swissiphic View Post
    Had to do the winter tire changeover the other day. Tweaked back at wheel #3. Figured I should look into a back saving system for the future and didn't wanna spend a bunch of bucks for a floor jack, impact drill, etc...

You tubed ghetto systems for car jacking using a regular cordless drill and attachments to car jack.

Ended up using this system and it worked awesome for my little Toyota Matrix.

Only thing is...the 20V cordless drill had a slight electrical burning smell after jacking the one wheel. I used a moderate speed, reversed it, and went up again at higher speed just for testing sake. High speed seemed easier on the drill.

Is this a sign that the drill is getting wrecked or just working hard?

Name:  P1110706.JPG
Views: 1064
Size:  132.5 KB

Name:  P1110708.JPG
Views: 1166
Size:  127.6 KB

Name:  P1110710.JPG
Views: 982
Size:  108.5 KB
    I have that same drill. That is too much of a load for it. I would look into an impact driver.

Not sure of the brand but junior has a battery powerd electric IMPACT driver to work on the really big electric motors you can walk thru, he said the rechargeable had more jam than all but the most expensive air tools
    Last edited by XXX-er; 10-03-2019 at 08:25 AM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Thanks guys. Just picked up an impact drill/wrench. fyi, 54 bux on sale at Can Tire, 126 dollars off right now. Should be good to go now.

Name:  P1110711.JPG
Views: 879
Size:  76.3 KB
    Master of mediocrity.

Those Jacks are dangerous as the fuck I wouldn't get under the car with one of those might be OK changing tires on a really level surface

Sent from my I3123 using Tapatalk

I used to use the scissor jacks that came with my vehicles for seasonal tire changeover, but after 2 separate jack failures (once the jack tipped over, and once the threaded rod stripped through the threads on the plastic female part and the jack collapsed) I would only use them for emergency roadside tire changes. A floor jack doesn’t cost that much and is much faster and easier to use.

Never go under a vehicle held up by a jack of any kind.

The one time I used a scissor Jack (OEM Honda, late 90s Accord), it broke. Used a bottle jack for the first time Sunday. Seemed better.

For the garage, a floor jack from Harbor Freight is cheap and works great.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Damnit...so lots of downvotes for using the stock scissor jack. I think i'm gonna stick with the ethos of experiment and run the scissor till it breaks, then bottle up.

As a nod to safety, i'll use jackstands to hold the car up in the air.

Thanks TGRers for all the wise feedback; I ain't a car guy...back to my lane with ski gear mods.
    Master of mediocrity.

Mine only bent as I was letting the car down, and didn't shoot out like a rocket. So you're probably good.

Seriously though, I'm seeing a floor jack for $50 at Walmart online. Worth it in the long run if you're not totally jammed on space.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Buy a damn floor jack and jackstands. Harbor Freight is fine for both.

Scissor jacks are sketchy AF, definitely for emergency roadside use only. In your driveway, there's no excuse for not using a real jack.

cordless drill/car jack experiment...cordless drill question

Wait what? That is a shit drill, sure, but too much load? Bullshit. If it spins it it’s fine, especially for a relatively short period of time. I’ve drilled plenty of holes that put more load for longer periods of time than spinning a jack.

As to your janky jack mod... well, buy a floor jack, please. When it breaks bad shit can happen, even if nobody gets hurt, that will probably cost you more than $50 to fix.
    focus.

my tire chain used to swap the snow tires tires i bought from them for free IF they were on rims

but they have stopped that policy so I think its time to buy a floor jack

I've seen people use a power drill to run up/down the scissor jacks on their big fucking trailers

Sketchy as fuck loading up a scissor jack with a car on GRAVEL. At least put a piece of plywood on the ground to spread the load evenly.

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    Sketchy as fuck loading up a scissor jack with a car on GRAVEL. At least put a piece of plywood on the ground to spread the load evenly.
    Enormous risks must be undertaken in the name of science and experiments.

I always jack with plywood underneath but, the drill wouldn't lift the car cause the mechanical leverage or whatever the nomenclature is, wasn't advantageous unless material was removed under the jack.

Now that I have the impact drill thingie, moot point.
    Master of mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    my tire chain used to swap the snow tires tires i bought from them for free IF they were on rims
    Lol... That's the reason for this experiment. Can Tire was gonna charge me 58 bucks for the changeover. Long story short, the day i made the appmnt, because i had can tire tires, changeover was free. By the time i went in for appmnt, there was a 58 buck charge.

Heated words were exchanged, appmnt cancelled, new tools purchased, one customer lost.
    Master of mediocrity.

^^^Same here. I do three cars now and I didn’t buy an impact drill, but I did buy a torque wrench and a new jack for the purpose. I can do one car in about 45 minutes taking my time.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

I have a hydralic bottle jack and the jack that come with the truck, not fitting in the avalable space under the vehical/ running out of reach/ run out of extension/ kneeling in the dirt, either is a hassle to use never mind being more dangerous SO its time to get a real floor jack for the twice a year changeover

Junior and I just put an 800 lb 6 spd manual Trans back in his cumins dodge using a floor jack with a transmission holding attachment, i don't know how we would have done it without a floor jack

I bought the Torin 2.5 ton jack from Walmart for 60 bucks. I’ve had it for three sessions now, still working good

I always jack with plywood underneath
    Quoted for the lulz

^^^ See this is exactly why I post here, and only this.

Thanks guys. Just picked up an impact drill/wrench. fyi, 54 bux on sale at Can Tire, 126 dollars off right now. Should be good to go now.
    Don't use that thing with regular sockets, or if you do, wear eye protection.

Go back to Can Tire:

I bought one of these bad boys back ages ago and still going strong.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/m...-0091047p.html

...on sale right now.

I’d be more concerned about the fucking scissor jack than an impact wrench! Get a cheap floor jack from Harbor Freight or the Canadian equivalent and a torque wrench for putting the lug nuts back on. You turn a cheap impact wrench loose tightening lug nuts and sadness will eventually ensue.
    Damn, we're in a tight spot!

Discount Tire for regular stuff. Roadside assistance for on the road. I have a floor jack but haven't used it in nearly a decade. Ramps for oil change is about it. Anything more involved and I'm paying someone else rather than skinning my knuckles to save a half day's pay.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    Don't use that thing with regular sockets, or if you do, wear eye protection.
    copy that...regular socket returned, exchanged for impact drill socket.
    Master of mediocrity.