Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Prior Skis...whats the goss?

Interested in the prior husume..is the blister hype real?

Seems like a ski the TGR crowd would be all over..

Anyone have any first hand experience?

The Goss is an opera house in SD.

That's all I got.

They are great skis. Heavy damp build in the quad glass.

I think everyone on TGR would probably like them a lot.

The Unicorn rides them.

My wife has a set the women’s version, the Flute. They changed her she skies from her previous DPS’s she is dramatically more likely to let her skis run and carry speed through variable snow. But at 5’5” she still can pivot the 169cm model. Construction seems good.

From that, I would say it looks like they ski how Blister said they would. Funny enough they talk about the Husume being stable and floaty... but on the women’s side they say the Flute is less stable than Line’s and not very floaty... shapes are identical. A good reminder that even good ski reviews are subjective.

IMO, Prior is amazing, but yeah...you gotta make sure the model you choose matches your personal preferences/taste. I posted my general advice on this topic at https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...29#post5484129

See some other past threads at https://www.google.com/search?ei=p0S...4dUDCAo&uact=5

My take:
    1. Prior rules at shaping. Especially good at designing geometry for models that intend to deliver a smoother ride.
    2. Prior rules at blending multiple performance attributes, for the models that they want to be multi-dimensional in performance. Especially good at hitting a good mix of both charging AND surfing in a model, or hitting a good mix of both edgeLock AND drifting in one model, etc.
    3. I don't think of Prior as being the best at any 1-dimensional specialty models, but then again...I heard Prior's racing snowboards win a lot of races...
    4. Prior's builds are already proven longterm for their Quad-glass & Carbon XTC constructions, but I don't think Prior's new-ish metal construction has been proven longterm yet.

- TRADE your heavy PROTESTS for my lightweight version at this thread

"My biggest goal in life has always been to pursue passion and to make dreams a reality. I love my daughter, but if I had to quit my passions for her, then I would be setting the wrong example for her, and I would not be myself anymore. " -Shane

"I'm gonna go SO OFF that NO ONE's ever gonna see what I'm gonna do!" -Saucerboy

Quote Originally Posted by Vitamin I View Post
    IMO, Prior is amazing, but yeah...you gotta make sure the model you choose matches your personal preferences/taste. I posted my general advice on this topic at https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...29#post5484129

See some other past threads at https://www.google.com/search?ei=p0S...4dUDCAo&uact=5

My take:
    1. Prior rules at shaping. Especially good at designing geometry for models that intend to deliver a smoother ride.
    2. Prior rules at blending multiple performance attributes, for the models that they want to be multi-dimensional in performance. Especially good at hitting a good mix of both charging AND surfing in a model, or hitting a good mix of both edgeLock AND drifting in one model, etc.
    3. I don't think of Prior as being the best at any 1-dimensional specialty models, but then again...I heard Prior's racing snowboards win a lot of races...
    4. Prior's builds are already proven longterm for their Quad-glass & Carbon XTC constructions, but I don't think Prior's new-ish metal construction has been proven longterm yet.

I have the Husumes and Overlords both in 193 quad glass and they're absolutely ripping for having no metal.

Can't say enough about them. Overlords are about 2550g per and are straight up murder one. Pry them from my cold dead hands.

193 Husumes are like surfy longboards in the deep and are fine in variable too. Heavy too at just under 2500g per. Perfect complement to the 192 Cochise.

Other bigger skis I have and love right now are the 189 Wren 114 (stiffer) and stock 189 BGs.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using TGR Forums mobile app
    Last edited by bry; 10-03-2019 at 04:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bry View Post
    I have the Husumes and Overlords both in 193 quad glass and they're absolutely ripping for having no metal.

Can't say enough about them. Overlords are about 2550g per and are straight up murder one. Pry them from my cold dead hands.

193 Husumes are like surfy longboards in the deep and are fine in variable too. Heavy too at just under 2500g per. Perfect complement to the 192 Cochise.

Other bigger skis I have and love right now are the 189 Wren 114 (stiffer) and stock 189 BGs.

Just wanted to add here with some more time... that the Husumes were acquired in part to find a new 108ish daily driver beyond the Cochise. I am on my second pair of newest gen Cochise and snow provided, the Husumes will take on more of a DD role this year if things work out.

I've got about 20 days on them between Mammoth and Squaw from late March through May last season and I would say they feel a bit driftier (?)...I don't have to shut them down as much when things get cooking, if that makes sense. They also feel like they ski less centered than the Cochise, relatively speaking...like there's a bit more out in front of me. 188s would have prob been more practical for places other than Mammoth where I get the vast majority of my days. I demoed the 188s first at Whistler...Hope this helps.

Just wanted to add here with some more time... that the Husumes were acquired in part to find a new 108ish daily driver beyond the Cochise. I am on my second pair of newest gen Cochise and snow provided, the Husumes will take on more of a DD role this year if things work out.

I've got about 20 days on them between Mammoth and Squaw from late March through May last season and I would say they feel a bit driftier (?)...I don't have to shut them down as much when things get cooking, if that makes sense. They also feel like they ski less centered than the Cochise, relatively speaking...like there's a bit more out in front of me. 188s would have prob been more practical for places other than Mammoth where I get the vast majority of my days. I demoed the 188s first at Whistler...Hope this helps.

Do they ever leave you feel wanting float wise...? I really like the profile of the ski but I feel like it’s too narrow as my narrow quiver ski and too wide as my wide quiver ski.... Prior guys seem like think the Overlord is a LOT of ski....

Quote Originally Posted by Alyosha_SP View Post
    Do they ever leave you feel wanting float wise...? I really like the profile of the ski but I feel like it’s too narrow as my narrow quiver ski and too wide as my wide quiver ski.... Prior guys seem like think the Overlord is a LOT of ski....
    No. I've skied in a couple feet they've been fine. I'd probably reach for proper pow skis if deeper.

...Prior guys seem like think the Overlord is a LOT of ski....
    If you tell me which bigger/wider/longer skis you've tried, and tell me which ones felt like "a lot of ski" to you,---then maybe I can tell you if you might enjoy an Overlord in 188 or 193. I ski A LOT of different skis, and Overlord is either my #1 fave, or maybe Top5...hard to be precise on that with so many kickass skis available.

"My biggest goal in life has always been to pursue passion and to make dreams a reality. I love my daughter, but if I had to quit my passions for her, then I would be setting the wrong example for her, and I would not be myself anymore. " -Shane

"I'm gonna go SO OFF that NO ONE's ever gonna see what I'm gonna do!" -Saucerboy

Quote Originally Posted by Tailwind View Post
    My wife has a set the women’s version, the Flute. They changed her she skies from her previous DPS’s she is dramatically more likely to let her skis run and carry speed through variable snow. But at 5’5” she still can pivot the 169cm model. Construction seems good.

From that, I would say it looks like they ski how Blister said they would. Funny enough they talk about the Husume being stable and floaty... but on the women’s side they say the Flute is less stable than Line’s and not very floaty... shapes are identical. A good reminder that even good ski reviews are subjective.
    I think I asked you in another thread, but can't fint it.
    How would you compare the Flutes flex to other skis? Which DPS was she on previously? Can you post a couple of pics, especially of camber and rocker with camber compressed

When do the BG's get used in such a quiver?

Quote Originally Posted by VON View Post
    When do the BG's get used in such a quiver?
    I've been using them primarily on storm days, when there's poor vis, and cement. I prefer skis with flatter stiffer tails but the BG tails are a real benefit in these situations.

Honestly it's more of a small collection than a practical quiver. My wife reminds me of this. I've just kept skis I love more than just like, load my roof box with a few pair and go with whatever.

On a pow day when the sun is out and the top is open I have been grabbing the Overlords.

Last edited by bry; 10-07-2019 at 08:16 AM. Reason: Grammar

I'm pretty sold on the Husume's. Just trying to decide on 181vs188.

I am 21yo 6'1 175lbs and pretty athletic(long history of sports).

I am a pretty strong skier(last year was my first year with more than 15 days but I probably got almost 50 days in)

Currently on the 18/19 QST 106 in a 181 which has been fine, but I'm looking for something more confidence inspiring in mixed conditions.

I think I will eventually end up with a Protest for the big days and narrower firm snow oriented ski(maybe the Brahma).

I mainly ski at Crystal.

I'm pretty sold on the Husume's. Just trying to decide on 181vs188.

I am 21yo 6'1 175lbs and pretty athletic(long history of sports).

I am a pretty strong skier(last year was my first year with more than 15 days but I probably got almost 50 days in)

Currently on the 18/19 QST 106 in a 181 which has been fine, but I'm looking for something more confidence inspiring in mixed conditions.

I think I will eventually end up with a Protest for the big days and narrower firm snow oriented ski(maybe the Brahma).

I mainly ski at Crystal.
    I'm on the 188 at Alpental. I'm same height but 20# heavier. Perfect length IMO. Awesome daily driver for PNW.

Prior Skis...whats the goss?

Haven’t skied it but based your post I would absolutely go 188, no question
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

...Just trying to decide on 181vs188.
    Currently on the 18/19 QST 106 in a 181 which has been fine, but I'm looking for something more confidence inspiring in mixed conditions. ...
    Both 181 & 188 Husume will be more powerful/confidence-inspiring than your 181 QST---but hard to know if you'd prefer the smaller jump up in power (181 Husume), or the bigger jump up in power (188 Husume). To harness that payoff of increased power/confidence, the "cost" is you usually must input more muscle/exertion. For "strong" skiers (as you claim to be), the payoff is pretty much always worth that cost. If you get the 188, it might be perfect for you, or it might require more muscle than you prefer in tight spaces. The good news is: If the 188 turns out to require more muscle than you were targeting, you can just step up your game and hit the gym and just change yourself to input the muscle those skis require, and next thing you know, you are slaying with more power than you originally targeted. Sweet. Or, if you somehow just fail on the 188, at least now you learned what you HATE, which would be a super-valuable lesson for discovering your own tastes, and for making you better at choosing skis in the future.

Wren vs Husume as a Whistler DD

Bry et al, New on here. Been lurking for a while and about to pull the trigger on some (more) skis, so reviving this thread; looking for a versatile soft snow Whistler DD (6'2, 210), and between ordering a 189 Wren 108 stiff layup, and a 193 Husume. Was wondering if you'd mind please giving your take on your 189 Wren 114 vs 193 Husume to aid with the decision? Understanding the 108 stiff and 114 aren’t identical skis, it should get me in the ballpark. Haven't seen anyone else with both in the quiver, or a 108/Husume (but appreciate any and all comparisons). Checked out the Blister reviews (and have been all over TGR), but hoping for another data point b4 pulling the trigger if possible.

Scott Andrus spent some time on the phone with me and am leaning ON3P simply because of the wicked customer service, but Prior is local here sooo, ya know, kinda wanna support both.

Current quiver
    -191 Mantra (firm groomer ski)
    -192 Rustler 11 mounted at -2 (-10) (current DD, wicked versatile but lacks top end and a bit wide to DD; whatever I grab will replace this).
    -Sender Squad (still in plastic, likely resell due to progressive mount, prefer -10ish).
    -192 Declivity X (will be DD, mounted at +2 (-10), if I don't buy one of the above, only concern is may be too wide to daily, otherwise probably resell also).

Priority is top end stability due to weight and aggressive nature, but liked how accessible/maneuverable the 192 R11 was in trees etc, and had the ability to carve a groomer, so some versatility for the DD would be the ticket. Plan to head down to Prior to check out the Husume in person this week, but unlikely to wait for the snow to fly to demo as I'd like to have em for opening day, so input would be greatly appreciated.

Lastly, if Husume, 188 or 193 for a clydesdale's DD? The next decision will be Super Goats or Overlords; maybe I’ll make this one easy and grab from whichever company I didn’t grab the DD. Thanks!

I want to try a Husume so bad.

I just sold the 193 husumes and kept the 189 wren 114s.

Liked the 193 husumes, totally manageable and and a killer pow ride but 188 probably would've been more practical for me and what I would grab them for.

the wren 114 slarves way better and the 193 husumes have more of a big dick tail but nothing crazy

I want to grab the overlords or wrens in anything soft and thought of the husumes more for a big ass variable conditions all mountain ski, which the 188 would've been better suited for and a bunch of other skis as well (Sender Squads, K108s, OG Cochise etc etc for example).

I hear you on the sender squad at -8 at the directional mount point but honestly it just works and it's fucking great for a bomber ride.

And I can't say enough about the overlords I have skied them in 193 and 188 and if for some ungodly reason my quiver would have to be reduced to a practical size, they would be a top pick no doubt.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bry; 08-24-2021 at 11:03 PM. Reason: More to add!

Ok, great. Thanks very much for this. Helpful for sure. I am heading to Prior tomorrow morning so will check out the Husume and Overlord in person. Sounds like 188 if Husume, but I'm kinda leaning towards the 189 Wren 108 stiff based on your comments. I like a flatter tail, but as a daily, the shape of the Wren 108 sounds more versatile. Then I can demo a Husume and an Overlord this year and take it from there. Stoked to check out the shape of the Overlord, and based on some reviews I've read, surprised at how well it apparently does on hardpack/groomers for a big pow ski.

Will put more thought into the Senders as well...Kinda like the sound of this.

-191 Mantra 102 (Groomer)
    -189 Wren 108 stiff with P15 and CAST (Daily)
    -188/193 Overlord (The ski I don't need but will love when the conditions are right)

Thanks again and I'll let you know where my money ends up. Greatly appreciated!

Husumes should be better on firm snow than the Wren 108. The Wren 108ti tricked me into thinking it should be a versatile ride because of its relatively modest waist width. I didn't find it to be as versatile as the husumes.

The waist width on the husumes also scales up a mm each length, I believe. Sort of like the Rustler 11s.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Thanks for this! After speaking with ON3P (Scott), kinda felt like like the non metal stiff would be the way to go for their layups, at least for me. Kinda been digging the idea of burlier non metal skis.

Quick question. Any tip dive with the Squads at -2 (-8.25)? I don't mind progressive mounts in 2D, started the R11 on the line (-8) and really liked it there, but once I got it in deeper had to move back as I def like to drive tips. Big GS turns are fun. Starting to think I should mount those and give em a shot. May mount the DXs as well, haha. Otherwise I'll just keep wondering.

Wont be able to demo a Wren up here, but wanna check em out and support ON3P, so may pull the trigger, then demo the Priors (188 Husume/Overlord) and grab em next time they go on sale (assuming I like em, but all signs are leading to I will). Should probably demo the Cochise too. Don't think the K108 will be for me. Thanks Bry!

Both the Wren and Huseme shapes are awesome. My wife has a 169cm Husume that I think is a bit to much ski for her but I still think they’re a great shape. Wren 114 is my favorite ski of all time. Build quality is good on priors and way better than big companies… but the On3p’s are in a class of their own.

Buy the Wrens then figure out some priors early season?