WTB: 26 inch wheel MTB Fork

Looking for an inexpensive > $150, Fork that fits a 26" wheel. Preferably with a 20mm axle, 120mm-130mm travel, 1-1/8 straight steerer ~8 inches long. Got a deal on a P2 dirt jump frame and want to build it up for my teenager. I might take it off jump or two my self.

1-1/8 Straight steerer is going to be your nemesis.

Hope this isn’t too hi-jacky but looking for roughly the same but less travel 100mm-120mm to build up a 26 inch frame in the garage for my long and lanky 10 yo , 15mm through or QR fine don’t have a front wheel yet

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Corner store junkies giving advice

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    1-1/8 Straight steerer is going to be your nemesis.
    The irony of trying to build up the rad bike from 2004 is slowly starting to sink in.

P2s Are rad thougj

I have a couple 26" forks that I no longer need. Don't want any cash for them, just pay cost of shipping ($20) if need be.

Both are on the well used side but were still functioning when I took them off the bike. The fox had no issues, but I went tubeless and switched to thru axle when I picked up new wheels. The Revelation has some pretty bad bushing wear that was freaking me out ahead of a big trip so I replaced it. Both could use a service as they've been sitting in my garage for a few years. Not sure if these can be reduced in travel if 150 mm is too much.

RS Revelation dual air with lockout - 140mm travel, 7" 1 1/8 straight steer tube, 15mm TA, 32mm stanchions. Can't find the axle. This is the unicorn everyone is looking for, bushing damage aside. Should have some life left in it. Thought it was 150mm, but it only measures 140.

Fox RLC 120 something or other - 150mm travel, 8" 1 1/8 straight steer tube, 9mm QR, 32mm stanchions.

Also have a couple parts forks if anyone needs something. Both are pretty much destroyed. Fox 36 170has bushing wear on stanchion and internals are shot. Rock shox pike (140?) has good stanchions but the internals blew up on me. RS is straight tube 7.5" steer, Fox is 7" tapered. Both 20mm. Same deal as above, just pay shipping if you want em. These are going in the trash otherwise.

Think about swapping out the headset to move away from the 1-1/8" straight steerer. The resale on these is higher because they are so rare now.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    Rock shox pike (140?) has good stanchions but the internals blew up on me.
    if op cant put this to use can i get some more info please?
    what blew up internally, air or oil side?
    20mm axle?

i have an old argyle rct that has some small stanchion scratches, needs a new air spring, and a mangled axle, but would love to swap it onto a buddies bike for them if i can track down parts

idk what headset size the p2 has, but if its a 44mm lower you can swap in an external cup that will allow use of a tapered fork

also fwiw im very happy with my circus expert which can be found for 300ish new and available in straight if needed

Not sure what is wrong with the Pike, I'm assuming the internals are all shot. It had been working fine before the final ride. Then during the descent both seals suddenly popped out of the lowers, oil spooged everywhere, and the fork wouldn't rebound. By the bottom it was stuck down at the bottom of its travel, freely moving up/down an inch or two with no compression or rebound at all. I never bothered trying to fix it, just put my backup fork on, sold that bike not long after. I think it is a coil fork, not air. It is one of the first years of Pike fork, maybe 2004, 5 or 6? You'd have to do some research into whether Argyle parts could swap over. Yes it's 20mm axle.

If the parts are no use to forty, I would be interested in trying to rebuild the pike. How complex can a motion control damper be? I have an old chameleon frame kicking around that i would love to get up and running with a good fork.

Nick

I'm out on these. Tempted by the price as I am. Looking for less travel. And hopefully more of a plug and play option. This tapered head set idea I have to look into. But I doubt it is an option.

I'd be interested in the Fox for a project I'm working on...

Quote Originally Posted by edmoloco View Post
    I'm out on these. Tempted by the price as I am. Looking for less travel. And hopefully more of a plug and play option. This tapered head set idea I have to look into. But I doubt it is an option.
    If the P2 has a 1 1/8 straight head tube you won't be able to use a tapered steer tube period. If the head tube is tapered you can use 1 1/8 straight or tapered steer tube fork.

[thread drift]
    I have a fox 36 150mm, 20mm axle with a straight 1 1/8" steer tube.
    It's in great condition with a rebuild that has less than 10 hours on it.

Too much travel for the OP, but maybe someone else reading this thread may be interested.
    [/thread drift]

Quote Originally Posted by nick_B10 View Post
    If the parts are no use to forty, I would be interested in trying to rebuild the pike. How complex can a motion control damper be? I have an old chameleon frame kicking around that i would love to get up and running with a good fork.

Nick
    I think forty had first dibs on it, if not it's yours if you want it. Not sure what motion control is like for repairs. The bigger issue is if it needs parts, are they even available anymore. Maybe on ebay. It was a pretty bomb proof fork if you can get it going again.

beece, PM me your address if you want the fox. Assuming you mean the white one.

If the P2 has a 1 1/8 straight head tube you won't be able to use a tapered steer tube period. If the head tube is tapered you can use 1 1/8 straight or tapered steer tube fork.
    "straight" head tube has multiple sizes, if its a 34mm lower you are correct, but if its 44mm then you can use an external cup that fits tapered bearings and thus a tapered fork, my "straight" dj frame has 44mm top/bottom and i swapped to tapered when blew up the argyle and went to a circus

Nick
    motion control is super simple to work on, and you can still get dampers for like $50 last i checked if replacement is needed

I think forty had first dibs on it, if not it's yours if you want it. Not sure what motion control is like for repairs. The bigger issue is if it needs parts, are they even available anymore. Maybe on ebay. It was a pretty bomb proof fork if you can get it going again.
    didnt catch its a coil not air, doh, shoulda noticed uturn emblem, al stanchion pike and argyle rct swap parts clean, "pargyles" used to be a thing back in the day

but send it off to nick, sounds like he could use it and if its just the motion control will be an easy fix
    nick, if you end up needing help with rebuild of damper send me a pm ive done a bunch of them, also have a bunch of orings and crap floating around from multiple rebuild kits over the years, if you need a small part can easy throw in envelope for ya

op, most air forks (and that pike uturn) can be lowered to 100mm pretty easily, i believe ACH's fox falls into that category assuming its a float and not a coil, and it would be a great fork for a dj

[QUOTE=ACH;5768530][thread drift]
    I have a fox 36 150mm, 20mm axle with a straight 1 1/8" steer tube.
    It's in great condition with a rebuild that has less than 10 hours on it.

Too much travel for the OP, but maybe someone else reading this thread may be interested.
    [/thread drift][/QUOTE
    What are you thinking on price

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7003.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	227.5 KB 
ID:	296199Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7008.JPG 
Views:	39 
Size:	246.0 KB 
ID:	296200Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7140.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	211.3 KB 
ID:	296201Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7142.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	243.4 KB 
ID:	296202

Willing to sell or trade. Im looking for a 25.4 stem and straight steerer 29 qr steel fork.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Interested in the above, will pm

*** if OP isn’t interested, that is

evdog - I just pm'd you

Forty - You have dibs, if you want it to make a coil "pargyle" then take it, let me know, and I won't send evdog shipping money, if not, I'll gladly try to rebuild it. I have another motion control damper on my boxxers that i also have to rebuild over the winter, so i might be taking you offer of help rebuilding motion control either way!

Quote Originally Posted by forty View Post
    "straight" head tube has multiple sizes, if its a 34mm lower you are correct, but if its 44mm then you can use an external cup that fits tapered bearings and thus a tapered fork, my "straight" dj frame has 44mm top/bottom and i swapped to tapered when blew up the argyle and went to a circus

motion control is super simple to work on, and you can still get dampers for like $50 last i checked if replacement is needed

didnt catch its a coil not air, doh, shoulda noticed uturn emblem, al stanchion pike and argyle rct swap parts clean, "pargyles" used to be a thing back in the day

but send it off to nick, sounds like he could use it and if its just the motion control will be an easy fix
    nick, if you end up needing help with rebuild of damper send me a pm ive done a bunch of them, also have a bunch of orings and crap floating around from multiple rebuild kits over the years, if you need a small part can easy throw in envelope for ya

op, most air forks (and that pike uturn) can be lowered to 100mm pretty easily, i believe ACH's fox falls into that category assuming its a float and not a coil, and it would be a great fork for a dj

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    Interested in the above, will pm

*** if OP isn’t interested, that is
    Have at it.

evdog - I just pm'd you

Forty - You have dibs, if you want it to make a coil "pargyle" then take it, let me know, and I won't send evdog shipping money, if not, I'll gladly try to rebuild it. I have another motion control damper on my boxxers that i also have to rebuild over the winter, so i might be taking you offer of help rebuilding motion control either way!
    all yours man, ive already been on the receiving end of mag generosity and would like to spread the love around, my buddy can make due with their current fork, and they are debating picking up a pslope next year so they arent exactly hurting, i will track down an air cart which is what i really need to fix the rct at some point, good luck with damper

chances are good to take the pike and revelation and combine them into one fork for whoever ends up grabbing them.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper