Thread: Better Super 7?

Better Super 7?

My dad is looking to get something to replace is 180cm Rossy Super 7s. Orange ~2015 version, first model after the redesign.

He really likes the skis. Very technically competent skier, but he’s in his 60s now and not as physically strong anymore. Traditional style, shins forward, been skiing 50 years. 5’8 165 lbs.

Likes to pick his way down the hill slowly, doesn’t charge through anything. Really enjoys the super 7s in pow and trees, good on groomers generally. Lightweight is great. Real easy for him to work in tight spots and move quickly. Weak spot is variable and cut up snow in summit county, get tossed around a bit much and aren’t too damp if it gets chunky or icy.

He has some 90mm underfoot Line Prophets that work well on ice, groomer, mogul days so these are for everything else.

Easy choice might be newer Super 7 HD, but not sure if they really improve much on the weak spots of the design.

Praxis GPO in a 182 seems like a good choice. Only potential negative is lack of float over the super 7s I think. Little less playful too. I think if I mounted -1.5cm could work.

Not really sure what else would work for him, I generally like/know about different style of skis and haven’t kept up much with the bigger brand lineups lately. Would appreciate suggestions.
    Last edited by Muggydude; 09-29-2019 at 12:16 AM.

I think the attribute that made the original super 7 likeable was the semi pintail thing it had going on. Most people had never skied that kind of thing. With that in mind and based solely on dimensions, I'd be looking at stuff like that salomon qst 118. There's lots of options out there but look for directional skis with somewhere around 15+mm of taper from tip to tail and a sub 25 but over 20m radius.

Good luck and i hope your old man ends up liking his new skis!

I went from an S7 to Nordica Enforcer 100 and Bibby Pro. Love them both. The Bibby has its sweet spots like charging and powder. Enforcers handle everything well but I prefer them on technical shit over something like the Bibby due to their grippiness.

Enforcer handles the chop better than the S7 in my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Quote Originally Posted by nickel View Post
    I think the attribute that made the original super 7 likeable was the semi pintail thing it had going on. Most people had never skied that kind of thing. With that in mind and based solely on dimensions, I'd be looking at stuff like that salomon qst 118. There's lots of options out there but look for directional skis with somewhere around 15+mm of taper from tip to tail and a sub 25 but over 20m radius.

Good luck and i hope your old man ends up liking his new skis!
    I agree with the above. Said attributes plus a relative tradtional mount point and lowish weight are also found on Head Kore 117, comes in a 180.

I agree that qst 118 and head kore are solid choices. Rustler 11 is solid and 180
    Going off the reservation but maybe get protest in 177. They are $550 right now and way more versatile than 128 waist should ever be. Killer pow ski with camber and handles crud really well

I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Kore 117 isn't all that damp either, compared to heavier skis in that width range, but for its weight it's pretty good, and I think it checks your other boxes pretty well.

Fischer Ranger 115 seems like it might fit too, but I haven't skied those so I can't really comment.

gpo is probably the closest direct replacement. not as playful but better rounded. on sale right now or make a custom one and get literally exactly what your pops is looking for

salomon qst 118
    2nded

edit: or 3rded....or whatever.

Red ones

Better Super 7?

I owned the ski in a 188 and ended up selling it for the weakness you point out. Having said that, they are such easy and fun powder skis...and still handle the rest of the mountain well. I’d worry about many of the other options feeling like too much ski in comparison. Have him try a Rustler 11 on maybe an Enforcer 110? I bet you come back to the updated Super 7, though.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Why not just buy pre honeycomb super 7. Used is $200 local

I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

2021/2022 (13/15)

I think there are a lot of ways you could go from this... what this reads like is ‘floaty and easy pow ski for light snow and moderate speeds for a traditional skier”.

My dad is in the similar ballpark mid 60’s but still skiing a lot. I think Rustler 11’s fit the bill but won’t float nearly as well as the pintail shape.

This isn’t a popular shape here but the the DPS alchemist wailer would be a good bet. It would float as well and hold its composure a little better.

If you wanted to try something a little different Line Pescado’s would be a strong bet. They handle cut of Colorado snow better than Super 7’s and are dead easy pow skis at 5+ mph. They would be a good bet for any day with 3+ inches of new snow.

Keep an eye on weight and turning radius. You don’t want to go to far to the extremes. Also remember skis you like and is likely not what’s ideal for him... I have to work to remember that.

Not really a super 7 but I rode the old version (green top sheet). Started w the Nordic’s enforcer 110
    Last year and love it. Charges like the super 7 but more fun IMO

If you're considering GPOs, definitely consider Billy Goats.
    Same basic dims as a super 7 but none of the problems with "variable and cut up snow in summit county, get tossed around a bit much and aren’t too damp if it gets chunky or icy". These are playful and damp.
    Turn radius is 29m but there's a lot of slarve capability

There's a pair for sale in Bend https://bend.craigslist.org/spo/d/be...960281926.html

Atomic Automatic comes to mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

automatic 117 and wailer 112 are both actually pretty good rec's for this style of ski.

I haven't skied it but would wonder with the Billy goat if it's soft enough for this skier bracket? I thought they pushed the pintail design towards a more chargey style? In all honesty and without having skied it, I wonder this a bit about my previous qst 118 rec...

Definitely agree that paying too much attention to radius numbers on pow skis is silly and misleading. Good pintails tend to push radius numbers a bit higher but behave opposite in pow to how many would expect based solely on radius number. obviously matters on groomers though if skier wants to carve rather than skid.

I have the last year of the first gen S7.

Red and black freaky graphics.

Uncommon aspects include aforementioned pintail, tip tail rocker but fully cambered in between, sidecut and a broad floaty tip. Then a coupla sheets of metal and it became a ski only about 20% of folks liked.

2nd gen Honeycomb skis hit the sweet spot for many more.

It was the only ski I could get to charge in deep, upside down snow that requires tip up but still allows for a forward leaning position. I gotta be forward. Sometimes I suffer for that.

automatic 117 and wailer 112 are both actually pretty good rec's for this style of ski.

I haven't skied it but would wonder with the Billy goat if it's soft enough for this skier bracket? I thought they pushed the pintail design towards a more chargey style? In all honesty and without having skied it, I wonder this a bit about my previous qst 118 rec...

Definitely agree that paying too much attention to radius numbers on pow skis is silly and misleading. Good pintails tend to push radius numbers a bit higher but behave opposite in pow to how many would expect based solely on radius number. obviously matters on groomers though if skier wants to carve rather than skid.
    I agree that the Goat can be a bit much in some circumstances. I'm getting up in years and love my Goats in wide open spaces, but in tight, Colorado trees, they can be a bit much (A-basin trees).

I just picked up a 2nd pair of GPOs (upsizing to 187, eliminating carbon and adding veneer).

With Praxis' restructuring sale going on at the moment, I'd vote for 182 GPOs for him.

If they ever bring back their Spring custom sale, I'll likely order some UL GPOs to replace my current 182s (for touring).

The 187 GPOs might be the ski that convinces me to sell the Goats ... or not.

The last pair of Billy Goats I sold, I regretted, 'coz of how they master the chop.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Better Super 7?

I’ve skied goats, and while they pivot well they definitely felt like the heavy ski they are. Great for strong skiers who like cutting through chop, but I think they’d be too much for my dad to handle (at least they’d tire him out real quick). 179 goats weigh just shy of 1 lb more than the 182 gpo or 180 super 7s

I’d bet a 179 tour layup BG would be great actually though, anyone holding?

I think the backland 117 would be great. I haven't skied it, but if it's anything close to the backland 107 it will be awesome.

The 107 kicks ass for how light it is and it super fun. The 117 is a bunch heavier too so it will probably be a lot damper(but it's not heavy like the BG).

The new mindbencer 116c is also a really fun ski, it looks a bit jibby, but it carves great and is really easy and predictable to ski.

Anyone have input on whether tour 179 BGs would be a good replacement? Not sure if they still might be a bit too heavy and/or not as easy for him to ski

Better Super 7?

Maybe something more like Corvus or tour 179. Saw some in GS

I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?

2021/2022 (13/15)