Jesus Rolls: Big Lebowski "Sequel"

Apparently John Turturro wrote, directed, and stars in this film about his iconic character from The Big Lebowski.

Film is out in Italy now, headed Stateside in 2020.

Everything I have read states that it a remake of the cult '70s French film Going Places and an unofficial sequel to TBL.

Last edited by dookey67; 09-28-2019 at 09:09 PM.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

and Turturro did it in Italian?
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    and Turturro did it in Italian?
    Film is being released in Italy first, so that's why the trailer is in Italian, as per my original post
    Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    ...Film is out in Italy now, headed Stateside in 2020.

Barton Fink was one of my favorite movies. I had to re-update John's filmography.

Man, that guy just fucking crushes. Reminds me a wee bit of William H. Macy for his breadth.

I love foreign films. Women think that I'm highly cultured.
    As much as I want to call this blasphemy, it actually looks pretty good.
    Can't go wrong with that cast and the Gypsy Kings

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.

Sweet! thx for posting. Looking forward to it!

That creep can roll, man.

Is it a foreign film - or was it dubbed in Italian and released in Italy to see how it does?

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Is it a foreign film - or was it dubbed in Italian and released in Italy to see how it does?
    Not much info about it online.

It was filmed in L.A. and NY, so I am relatively sure that it is not a "foreign film".

Also, it seems apparent to me that the trailer is dubbed (watch C. Walken's lips as he "speaks" Italian).

Have not been able to find out info as to why it is being released in Italy now and not stateside until sometime in 2020, but methinks it has to do with distribution rights. It could also have something to do with the producers (i.e. who financed the picture).

Most "news" about the film to be found online is very vague about why it's screening in Italy first.

Also, news items about the film started popping up back in July (not sure how I missed that).

According to Wikipedia (which I take with a grain of salt most times), it was filmed back in 2016...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Jesus_Rolls

Here's some other articles, though most of them just kind of regurgitate the same basic "news", which is par for the course in regards to most entertainment journalism these days.

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/09/je...el-1202176689/

https://www.vulture.com/2019/09/watc...sus-rolls.html

https://www.esquire.com/entertainmen...esus-quintana/

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/8...ebowski-sequel

I, for one, am now interested in seeing the cult French film which Turturro supposedly was heavily influenced by:

"Going Places is a 1974 French comedy-drama film co-written and directed by Bertrand Blier, and based on his own novel. Its original title is Les Valseuses, which translates into English as "the waltzers"[citation needed], a vulgar French slang term for "the testicles".[2] It stars Miou-Miou, Gérard Depardieu and Patrick Dewaere." - Wikipedia summary

Last edited by dookey67; 09-29-2019 at 02:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    I, for one, am now interested in seeing the cult French film which Turturro supposedly was heavily influenced by:

"Going Places is a 1974 French comedy-drama film co-written and directed by Bertrand Blier, and based on his own novel. Its original title is Les Valseuses, which translates into English as "the waltzers"[citation needed], a vulgar French slang term for "the testicles".[2] It stars Miou-Miou, Gérard Depardieu and Patrick Dewaere." - Wikipedia summary

Gerard is a pimp
    https://youtu.be/yMPTNH93mME

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.

Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    All time

English language trailer:

Having seen Turturro's Romance and Cigarettes (which, unlike this new effort, the Coen Bros produced), I'm expecting Jesus Rolls to be interesting and quite possibly something I'll be glad I saw, but odd, that is, odd in the sense that most people are going to walk out of it saying "wow, that was remarkably bad".

Quote Originally Posted by bobz View Post
    Having seen Turturro's Romance and Cigarettes (which, unlike this new effort, the Coen Bros produced), I'm expecting Jesus Rolls to be interesting and quite possibly something I'll be glad I saw, but odd, that is, odd in the sense that most people are going to walk out of it saying "wow, that was remarkably bad".
    My prediction turned out to be overly optimistic. Thank you Coen Brothers for knowing (in The Big Lebowski) just how little Jesus Quintana is just enough.

The Jesus Rolls isn't very good. It starts with a handful of odd comedic scenes (including a shooting scene with Jon Hamm that's played for laughs), which gives the sense that it's going to be like a lame based-on-SNL-sketch movie; The Jesus recycles several of his few lines and shots from TBL. Then it starts to turn sort of serious (but still with this ridiculous Jesus character), and then settles into trying to be a French love triangle (and then some) random (mostly) petty crimes road movie.

It didn't work for me. And it didn't even explain how JQ would later come to be non-incarcerated in time to compete bowling with The Dude and friends (he's freed from prison at the start of the film, for the famous exposing-himself-to-an-8-year-old thing, which it turns out he shouldn't have been charged with, but this movie suggests that he'll be going back into the big house again someday soon). Anyway, avoid.

Quote Originally Posted by bobz View Post
    My prediction turned out to be overly optimistic. Thank you Coen Brothers for knowing (in The Big Lebowski) just how little Jesus Quintana is just enough.

The Jesus Rolls isn't very good. It starts with a handful of odd comedic scenes (including a shooting scene with Jon Hamm that's played for laughs), which gives the sense that it's going to be like a lame based-on-SNL-sketch movie; The Jesus recycles several of his few lines and shots from TBL. Then it starts to turn sort of serious (but still with this ridiculous Jesus character), and then settles into trying to be a French love triangle (and then some) random (mostly) petty crimes road movie.

It didn't work for me. And it didn't even explain how JQ would later come to be non-incarcerated in time to compete bowling with The Dude and friends (he's freed from prison at the start of the film, for the famous exposing-himself-to-an-8-year-old thing, which it turns out he shouldn't have been charged with, but this movie suggests that he'll be going back into the big house again someday soon). Anyway, avoid.

Sorry I left you out to dry bobz!
    I actually suffered through this pointless and uninspired film back in May and was so disappointed in it that I never finished the review I started writing.

I did manage to scribble down 1.5 stars out of 5, though.

Even Bobby Cannavale couldn't save it, which was surprising.

FWIW, Going Places is on Kanopy...
    Last edited by dookey67; 12-23-2020 at 02:03 PM.

I-ight, fwiw, I managed to locate the review I started writing back in May and finished it:

THE JESUS ROLLS
    1.5/5

Not quite sure what John Turtorro was thinking when he decided to make this film.
    He takes a largely minimal, but no less enthralling, character from The Big Lebowski and puts him in a feature length film that contains virtually no bowling and very little exposition into the life and times of one Jesus Quintana. Additionally, the film is rumored to literally be a remake of the 1974 French film Les Valseuses (aka Going Places). Full disclosure: I have yet to see Bertrand Blier’s once reviled now highly regarded film, but the fact that Turtorro references it in the end credits certainly points to this being a remake/rehash.
    So, in short, what we have here is a modern retelling of a somewhat revered cult French film that pretty much only super hardcore cinephiles have seen, using a minor character from a super popular Coen Brothers film. The whole thing kind of feels like JT was just trying to piggyback off the appeal and furvor of Lebowski. And, you know what? He kind of succeeded. I mean that’s the only reason I had this film on my radar. Other than having triumphed at suckering myself (and probably a number of other Lebowski stalwarts in the bargain) into watching the film, there’s little to recommend here.
    From the getgo the film’s actors never really seem to gel with one another, lacking any sort of chemistry, which is a shame considering the cast Turturo assembled. On top of that, the story is a rambling, aimless lark that brings nothing new to the ever popular road trip/buddy genres.
    I will concede that I laughed at a few scenes, usually ones that featured former French ingenue Audrey Tauto, but even her presense in the film felt forced.
    For Turturo, he plays Jesus in a tired swagger, talking like he attended the Marlon Brando Godfather School of Speech. Tautu comes off like a Brooklyn hooker trying to speak French. And Bobby Caqnnavale, who has been stellar in most of his recent roles (Homecoming, Mr. Robot), just seems dazed and confused, as if he has no clue what he is doing in the film or how his character is supposed to act.
    The film also has a problem trying to find a balance between ennui-styled deadpan and over-the-top prefab camp (see Jon Hamm’s cameo for the latter).
    While the music of the Gypsiy Kings populates the film, perhaps Talking Heads’ “Road To Nowhere” would have been more apropos on the soundtrack, or at least playing over the end credits.
    Last edited by dookey67; 12-23-2020 at 02:20 PM.

I have to see it out of principle, but it's so disheartening to read these reviews, especially with a film coming from JT.

It's free on Prime, but not worth watching.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Heh, it's good that I found out about this only here and did not see it by chance personally) Considering how good the original was

Quote Originally Posted by willywhit View Post
    I love foreign films. Women think that I'm highly cultured.

Can't go wrong with that cast and the Gypsy Kings
    Ha
    And word