WTB Touring Setup for PNW/Tahoe Area

Hey all.

Poking around for a used touring setup, and hoping for:

Black Crows Corvus Freebird (183cm)
    Moment Deathwish Tour (184cm)
    Moment Wildcat Tour 108 (184cm)
    4FRNT Raven (184cm)
    Volkl vWerks Katana (184cm)

So long as the setup doesn't have any major damage (edges intact and no core shots please), I could be tempted. Flexible on the binders. Approx 306bsl but prepared to re-mount.

I might consider something as short as 178cm, but I definitely can't go longer than 184cm. I'm 5'8 and 145lbs and though I charge like any other maggot, I gotta set some boundaries when I'm out of bounds.

Thanks!
    Last edited by TWODIEFOUR; 10-04-2019 at 11:20 PM.

GPO with vipec at 307

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

GPO’s are a F N DOPE touring rig!
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    GPO with vipec at 307

Say there...that sounds promising. Care to share? Pics and description of condition? Here or pm is fine. Thx.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0498.JPG 
Views:	124 
Size:	119.8 KB 
ID:	295574

Name:	IMG_0499.JPG 
Views:	118 
Size:	910.9 KB 
ID:	295575

Name:	IMG_0500.JPG 
Views:	122 
Size:	100.6 KB 
ID:	295576

Name:	IMG_0501.JPG 
Views:	117 
Size:	103.1 KB 
ID:	295577

Vipecs are new and mount is 307

I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

2021/2022 (13/15)

Not a bad option. What's the length? How much?

187 and $500 plus ship

I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?

2021/2022 (13/15)

Still on the hunt...bump up the jam!

182 Atomic Automatic 109 w dynafit radical 2.0 w G3 skins.
    Maybe 1 day on them, been hanging on the rack for a while now.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    Hmmm. They might be a bit too light for my taste. I drive some heavier and directional skis to let the weight do some of the work for me in variable conditions. I'll check some reviews of the Automatic 109s to make sure...

My Automatic182cm 109s are within a few grams of my MAP Carbon GPOs (flex 4, nylon top sheet). Both are right at 8.9Lbs.

I'd part with my Autos and Vipec Blacks (mounted for 297 BSL), but I haven't thought about price. PM me if interested and I'll put photos together.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by TWODIEFOUR View Post
    Hmmm. They might be a bit too light for my taste. I drive some heavier and directional skis to let the weight do some of the work for me in variable conditions. I'll check some reviews of the Automatic 109s to make sure...
    Having never skied them - but having extensively toured around Tahoe for 10 years before moving to Oregon - I’ll say don’t worry about the weight on those Atomics and jump all over that.

For 7 years my Tahoe setup was Praxis 180 BC’s (pre-veneer, Carbon with light MAP core, flex 2) with Speed Radical 1.0s. Almost a full pound lighter than the Atomic Automatics. They could have been beefier for wind funked sastrugi and windboard crust, but otherwise they handled the consistent Tahoe ultradeep wet pow, consolidated pow, edgeable chalk, buttered corn, and mashed potatoes totally consistently. And I’m also 5’ 8”.

The only thing is at 18.5m sidecut radius the Automatics might be a bit turny. But you have enough reverse sidecut/taper in the top and tail to prevent unwanted hookup in the mashed muck. And at 8.9 lbs with a Radical 2.0 that’s heavier than my speed bindings, the weight sounds perfect - just heavy enough to give you the minimum damping you need on funk while being light enough to put together some 10 mile 6k vert days out at Carson Pass. 109 underfoot with that tip shape will be just fat enough for the deep days (at your weight) and narrow enough for the not deep days.

That setup could be perfect if the price is right and not too turny for you.

What boots are you gonna drive with?

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Movement Jackal 185, 105 waist, 23M radius with Dynafits...basically new. Bunch of pics out here:

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...s-%96-Near-New

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Having never skied them - but having extensively toured around Tahoe for 10 years before moving to Oregon - I’ll say don’t worry about the weight on those Atomics and jump all over that.

For 7 years my Tahoe setup was Praxis 180 BC’s (pre-veneer, Carbon with light MAP core, flex 2) with Speed Radical 1.0s. Almost a full pound lighter than the Atomic Automatics. They could have been beefier for wind funked sastrugi and windboard crust, but otherwise they handled the consistent Tahoe ultradeep wet pow, consolidated pow, edgeable chalk, buttered corn, and mashed potatoes totally consistently. And I’m also 5’ 8”.

The only thing is at 18.5m sidecut radius the Automatics might be a bit turny. But you have enough reverse sidecut/taper in the top and tail to prevent unwanted hookup in the mashed muck. And at 8.9 lbs with a Radical 2.0 that’s heavier than my speed bindings, the weight sounds perfect - just heavy enough to give you the minimum damping you need on funk while being light enough to put together some 10 mile 6k vert days out at Carson Pass. 109 underfoot with that tip shape will be just fat enough for the deep days (at your weight) and narrow enough for the not deep days.

Thanks for the info/opinion, Schralph. As you can tell from the planks I listed with interest, I'm hoping for a mid-weight, mid-fat ski with stability, a longer turn radius, and either a flat or cambered profile without too much rocker. I ski the Moment Bibby and Line Supernatural 108 for my daily drivers (I have an alpine race background) and want something similar (but lighter) for touring.

For boots: I'm driving Scarpa Freedom RS, and I also have some Tecnica Cochise 120s - basically some 50/50 boots. But they can definitely drive anything I'm interested in.

So I'll definitely consider the Atomics - but have been skeptical of their lighter weight and shorter turn radius, and that people have described them as somewhat unstable in variable conditions...

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    Price? Reply or pm if you like. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    My Automatic182cm 109s are within a few grams of my MAP Carbon GPOs (flex 4, nylon top sheet). Both are right at 8.9Lbs.

I'd part with my Autos and Vipec Blacks (mounted for 297 BSL), but I haven't thought about price. PM me if interested and I'll put photos together.

... Thom
    Price and condition? Reply or pm of you like - thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post

This TGR review on the Atomic 109s was pretty explicit about their instability at speed, so I'm still a bit skeptical.
    https://www.tetongravity.com/story/s...-automatic-109

Quote Originally Posted by TWODIEFOUR View Post
    Thanks for the info/opinion, Schralph ... hoping for a mid-weight, mid-fat ski with stability, a longer turn radius, and either a flat or cambered profile without too much rocker. I ski the Moment Bibby and Line Supernatural 108 for my daily drivers (I have an alpine race background)
    Cool. Just consider that you’re not gonna have the same consistency and supportability in Tahoe 3D backcountry snow that varies with every 300’ of vert, so you’re not gonna be constantly pressuring ski camber and ski tips exactly the same as inbounds. A lot more buttering and smearing and jumping to get tails out of the muck

So you may or may not want something like a Praxis Freeride / Black Crows Corvus that will charge and be more race-aggressive like your inbound skis, and I have friends who do tour on Freerides an Corvus Freebirds ... but also consider that a 183 Praxis MVP in stock flex with Dynafit Radical FT 2.0s or Tectons or Shifts could also be just the ticket for you. The MVPs are stiff underfoot, 24m sidecut radius, generous reverse sidecut zones don’t hook up unintentionally and handle all kinds of snow, super playful (probably more playful than a Bibby) and overall a really versatile setup for Tahoe. But yeah if you don’t like skiing loose skis then avoid the MVP and stick with your originally planned classic shapes.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Thanks for the valuable input, Schralph - appreciated indeed!

Still on the hunt, people. Looking for some mid-fat, directional and chargey touring planks and binders!

Pudgier than mid fat, but... 184 moment bibby tour, kingpins mounted for 305. Everything's in good shape.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Pudgier than mid fat, but... 184 moment bibby tour, kingpins mounted for 305. Everything's in good shape.
    This...sounds very promising. Tell me more please (reply or dm).