The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado

Tick/chigger protective wear

I’m thankful every day that I don’t live in a part of the country where chiggers and/or roaches are a problem, but I’m working in Arkansas in a couple weeks and will be stomping around in the woods a bit checking out the site for a new CX course. I’m looking for a lightweight, tech-style hoodie to keep the bugs off, but I sweat like a whore and want to make sure I get something light. Any input? Hunters, what say ye?

Tick/chigger protective wear

one of those mesh fishing hoodies sprayed with Permethrin

Not 100% applicable but for the sake of the convo, I was doing a restoration on an old house which likely had lead and found those throwaway hooded jumpsuits way cheaper than I would have figured. Tons of options online like $3-$15 or so depending if you plan ahead or need to buy in store/style/qty etc

I thought this was a thread for a poorly thought out brand name relating to impact protection for gravity sports.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    Now we’re talking. Of course, patagucci makes one for $90, but it’ll probably last the rest of my life.

But it turns out hooded rash guards are a thing, seems like that would do the trick and they’re like $20-30 on Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by pfluffenmeister View Post
    I thought this was a thread for a poorly thought out brand name relating to impact protection for gravity sports.
    I’ve always thought the word “chigger” was a poorly thought-out brand name even for a bastard, bitey little piece of shit mite.

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    Ugh, horrible idea. And maybe you were just being funny, in which case that's pretty funny!

I did wetland work in AR for several years and used a headnet once. Total PITA if you are actually doing any type of work. If you're just walking around and want to look like a dork it would be perfect.

I used to treat field pants with permethrin that I sprayed on the exterior only. It has to dry for several hours prior to use. I would tuck pant legs in boots and wear a light slightly oversize cotton or cotton/poly blend shirt with long sleeves and fairly tight cuff (also tucked in). A very light but tightly woven fabric is what I preferred. Spray your footwear as well, I used to just use deet right before heading into the woods for this. If skeeters are an issue, hit a bandana hanging off your back with a spritz of deet or spray your shirt. For headwear I preferred a light solid panel cap or a full brim sun hat if sunny (can spray the brim or bill for skeeters as well)

Don't just plop down on a log or pile of leaves, look for snakes, etc.

The most important thing is to do a thorough tick check after. And chiggers are a funny thing. My wife and I would work in the exact same conditions day after day and she would end up with dozens of chigger bites and I might only have one or two. Activity should be slowing but it is pretty warm in Little Rock right now from just checking the forecast.

Quote Originally Posted by 3PinGrin View Post
    Ugh, horrible idea. And maybe you were just being funny, in which case that's pretty funny!

I did wetland work in AR for several years and used a headnet once. Total PITA if you are actually doing any type of work. If you're just walking around and want to look like a dork it would be perfect.

I used to treat field pants with permethrin that I sprayed on the exterior only. It has to dry for several hours prior to use. I would tuck pant legs in boots and wear a light slightly oversize cotton or cotton/poly blend shirt with long sleeves and fairly tight cuff (also tucked in). A very light but tightly woven fabric is what I preferred. Spray your footwear as well, I used to just use deet right before heading into the woods for this. If skeeters are an issue, hit a bandana hanging off your back with a spritz of deet or spray your shirt. Don't just plop down on a log or pile of leaves, look for snakes, etc.

The most important thing is to do a thorough tick check after. And chiggers are a funny thing. My wife and I would work in the exact same conditions day after day and she would end up with dozens of chigger bites and I might only have one or two. Activity should be slowing but it is pretty warm in Little Rock right now from just checking the forecast.
    Copy, good beta. I’ve got some running gaiters too that should help keep the fuckers out of my pants and shoes. I have a tendency to get murdered by mosquitoes, so we’ll see how it goes. Permethrin and deet are definitely on the menu.

Quote Originally Posted by ZomblibulaX View Post
    Copy, good beta. I’ve got some running gaiters too that should help keep the fuckers out of my pants and shoes. I have a tendency to get murdered by mosquitoes, so we’ll see how it goes. Permethrin and deet are definitely on the menu.
    If you are just casually traipsing around a headnet would be fine. If it's humid at all though, they totally suck especially if you are trying to do any physical work, take field notes, etc. One guy I worked with did wear a very light hoodie over a ball cap for mosquitoes (no net though).

The mosquito activity should be pretty slow, but it did vary some from year to year as to when it tapered off. Late October is when it usually really let up, but some cool snaps before you get there can do a lot to help.

If I were only worried about chiggers and ticks (which is actually the case for me, mosquitoes and gnats tend to leave me alone, but chiggers will bleed me dry), then I would only give particular focus to my lower body. Chiggers and ticks are going to get on you from about the knee down (unless you go lie down in the grass).

Deep Woods OFF! works pretty damn well. Rubber soled muck boots, if you can stand the heat, work for most people. If not rubber boots, gaters. And, if you have the option, do most of your traisping around in the grass when there's still dew on it. In my experience, the creepy crawlies don't move much when it's wet.

Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    Here’s the dumbest person on tgr
    "What are you trying to say? I'm crazy? When I went to your ski schools, I went on your church trips, I went to your alpine race-training facilities? So how can you say I'm crazy?!"

Deep woods OFF is effective stuff (not as good as permethrin on clothing though) and that's what I used as well.

One other bit of advice. If you are with a group, as you exit the vehicle move away from everyone else. Because there will soon be a cloud of aerosol OFF enveloping everything and everyone as the group let's fly with the cans o death. I always tried to keep that crap off my skin and limit breathing it as much as possible.

That's racis...oh CHigger. Nevermind.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

I hear flea and tick collars work well.
    watch out for snakes

This thread: yet another reason to never visit AR (been there once, but only taxi to airport, as my flight out of NOLA got cancelled).

Quote Originally Posted by skizix View Post
    This thread: yet another reason to never visit AR (been there once, but only taxi to airport, as my flight out of NOLA got cancelled).
    Au contraire, Arkansas is a beautiful state from the Mississippi delta to the Ozarks to the Ouachitas. Beautiful waterfalls, incredible bluffs/cliffs, and some truly spectacular wetlands. I really enjoyed getting to know the state. My ex-wife is wrapping up a children's story book about aquatic insects that she started years ago in college. We are planning a celebratory float of the Buffalo River when complete. The Buffalo is spectacular.

That being said, I would never live there again but as far as a tourist destination it's pretty cool. Some really nice state parks with minimal usage and also some really good mountain biking.

Also some great BBQ and catfish, which is probably what I miss most!

Hey ZomblibulaX,
    what part of the state are you going to be visiting?

Quote Originally Posted by skizix View Post
    Yeah well, some wealthy family (I wonder who) has been dumping tons of money in to trails and infrastructure, so there’s work and I’m going. I think it’s pretty cool that the state seems to be largely on board with reinventing their destination imagery and creating something from the ground up.

3Pin, I’ll be in Fayetteville, we’re building out a little cross race. They’re building a new venue out there so it will be cool to scout some tv positions and check the layout before everything starts to come together.

^^ thats cool to hear of billionaires giving back and have also heard good hints about the outdoor recreation there. It’s on my maybe check it some day list.

Quote Originally Posted by ZomblibulaX View Post
    3Pin, I’ll be in Fayetteville, we’re building out a little cross race. They’re building a new venue out there so it will be cool to scout some tv positions and check the layout before everything starts to come together.
    Sounds fun!

Name:  funky.jpeg
Views: 202
Size:  10.0 KB

If you end up worse than this, you better post pics:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Whole Leg.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	295699
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Close Up.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	295700
    Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    Here’s the dumbest person on tgr
    "What are you trying to say? I'm crazy? When I went to your ski schools, I went on your church trips, I went to your alpine race-training facilities? So how can you say I'm crazy?!"

My wife's family had a golden retriever that started peeing in the house suddenly. It turned out that she had diabetes. Get that dog to a vet! Also you can check out Pet Express for info