Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    the new QST 106 ticks all the boxes. it is light years better than the older version with a much more predictable feel while still being fun, unlike many of the more traditional skis out there. definitely a good LCC ski for all but the deepest days.
    bumps are for poor people

Quote Originally Posted by SLCUTAH View Post
    so far the J Ski Metal intrigues me the most.
    I think I thread-killed the JSki discussion with my comments on the the metal. Let me know if you have Q's though.
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...kis-Discussion

Lots of good information from most of you. I was hoping to find the right ski without going the demo route by using this huge data base. Looking at all of the recommendations so far the J Ski Metal intrigues me the most. I agree the best thing for me to do would be to demo a bunch and figure out what I like on my own but that can get time consuming and a bit pricey plus put me well into the season.

When I do get new skis I may just sell my Katana's which have only been mounted once and still in good condition considering they are 6 years old.
    The last few pairs of skis I've bought I've relied on Blister reviews to guide me in the right direction. I've bought 2 pairs I've been very happy with without demoing, after eliminating several other contenders that I demoed.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    The last few pairs of skis I've bought I've relied on Blister reviews to guide me in the right direction. I've bought 2 pairs I've been very happy with without demoing, after eliminating several other contenders that I demoed.
    Last 3 pairs I've bought: no demo. Relied on this place, blister, and various other noise on the 'net (in that order of perceived relevance).

That's because: until this season (first time in 20+ years I'll have an alpine rig)...not much chance to demo the skis in question (or hardly any others) with a tele mount. Plus, tough for me (in CO) to coincide with Moment or Praxis demos anyhow.

First two have worked out superbly well (190 Blister Pros, 185 Enforcer 100's), but haven't skied the Protests (192's) yet. That despite having had them in my possession all last season, LOL - couldn't decide if I should mount them tele or wait until I pulled the trigger on alpine boots/clamps. Which I did in like late May (screaming deals). So alpine it is for the Protests (seriously doubt they're going to suck - can't freaking wait!).

P.S. and YMMV-zone: I bought Blizzard Kabookie's a few years back, largely based on blister's review, the fact that blister called them out as hardly any different from Bonafides, and hearing everybody going nuts for Bonafides, and, well...crazy carver, super fun going fast on groomers (not my preferred venue) but overall I really don't care for them. Can't win 'em all.

P.P.S. Demoing is overrated anyhow. You can't really know if you'll love a ski from a few runs (or even a whole day). I probably would've bought the Bukkake's (haha - Kabookies), after a few runs. Loved 'em at first, then kind of found them utterly...meh (NOT the case with the other skis mentioned).

looking to downsize just a bit and go to something closer to 100-105mm in width, 180 cm in length, 15-20 meter turn radius, and has camber underfoot. Looking at stuff like the Blizzard Rustler 10, Head Kore 105, Nordica Enforcer 100, Volkl Mantra, .... for.
    First off jong, buy your skis at the end of the season for 50% or less. Next, never ask a bunch of other jongs, what ski to buy.

Any of those skis could be a good daily driver.
    Nobody knows how or what, you actually ski.

I have a butt load of skis, ski everyday, ski in/out. I’m on <100mm a lot more than >100mm.
    But I’m old school and a little beat up.

I rarely demo. I pick up a lot of skis,cheap.
    If I don’t like them, I unload them or run them over the rocks.

I have been to exactly one demo in 40 years of skiing. I did not buy anything based on that demo event. I think OP will be fine without demoing.

Although, I am someone who enjoys getting to know the nuances of different skis and adapting my style to the ski. Some skiers want skis that are specific to a certain style of skiing. Regardless, there is so much online feedbnack/info available these days on various skis that it's pretty easy to ascertain if a ski serves the purpose you seek.

Dynastar Legend x106

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Dynastar Legend x106
    That is in fact, precisely the ski the OP asked for. Not sure if it's the best quiver-of-one (if it must be only one), however. Just sayin'...shit days could be relatively un-fun

LP’s and XXL’s were the quintessential Snowbird skis.
    Not always the best for hard days though.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    LP’s and XXL’s were the quintessential Snowbird skis.
    Not always the best for hard days though.
    Still see XXLs in the tram line, but mostly Chams these days. I even got a pair to fit in, like em more than I thought I would!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1722.JPG 
Views:	127 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	295428

Ugliest fucking graphics in my quiver though.

Got to get the red ones.

I think you guys have talked me into a 104-108 waist width...so many choices! So far these are a few I like: ON3P Woodsman, Moment Commander 108, J skis Metal, Nordica Enforcer 104, Head Kore 105, Salomon QST 106, Dynastar Legend 106, Blizzard Cochise ...

I do have friends that work at resorts here in Utah and can get a deals on Atomic, Fisher, Blizzard, Head, K2, Nordica, and Volkl. If I went with one of these brands what would be my best option?

For snowbird, I would go 108 wildcats over commanders. Or full-blown 118 wildcats really (or 116 if you go 180 - just depends on how fast you want to go , more so than body weight I think).

190 bibbys are surprisingly fun in bumps ( if the bumps are not horrendous - not a ton of fun to be had in any case, IMO), and crap conditions. And they kill groomers - kill ‘em! - as long as...speed (more GS than SL turns but... just get that groomer out of the way!).

And of course they will deliver the freaking goods when the big snows come in!

...if in doubt (commander vs wildcat etc), don’t take my word for it...call Luke (or whomever you get on the phone at Moment). They are an especially responsive/helpful/informed bunch of folks

I do have friends that work at resorts here in Utah and can get a deals on Atomic, Fisher, Blizzard, Head, K2, Nordica, and Volkl. If I went with one of these brands what would be my best option?
    Anyone else's troll radar going off?

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Anyone else's troll radar going off?
    Sounds like more of a cash flow issue. I guess. I used to have all the connexes but still couldn’t afford shit. Now I have the cash (relatively speaking) but no deals. Irony of life-changes.

Cochise will be pretty similar to the katana. New Cochise a bit 'edgier', but poorer pow performance.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    dear jong
    $free.99

but you must not 210 the 190
    your new friend,

sfb
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

I have the Nordica Enforcer 104 Free and they are fantastic. Carve very well even on firmer groomers, kill crud, are a blast in the bumps, float well for their width yet fun and forgiving at all speeds. Moved the mount up a few cm to make them more playful. Great everywhere.

That said I’d still be getting wider skis when it really snows like the Wildcat that are a blast everywhere. Much easier to ski than the Volkls but can still charge when you want.

I will be taking my E104 and my Bibby’s for a perfect 2 ski quiver to Utah this year when I go for a month.

I wouldn't go shorter. You may get in deep snow and feel like there just isn't enough ski there. Eat some burgers, drink some beers. Try to break 160lbs.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

This thread has me thinking. Would a ski that works especially well at Snowbird also work well at other UT resorts? Specifically Deer Valley. Or would you recommend I go with a narrower waisted ski. I hear they tend to groom more there than Snowbird.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

^^^ Easy with thread drift buddy.

And for Deer Valley one needs not a narrower, but a more pretentious ski.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    This thread has me thinking. Would a ski that works especially well at Snowbird also work well at other UT resorts? Specifically Deer Valley. Or would you recommend I go with a narrower waisted ski. I hear they tend to groom more there than Snowbird.
    As long as you don't get a Montana ski. You don't wanna get cought in UT with an MT ski. That's not a good time. You might be able to get away with an Idaho ski because all the Mormons spread straight up I15.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by pfluffenmeister View Post
    And for Deer Valley one needs not a narrower, but a more pretentious ski.
    Bomber only!!!
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

I think you guys have talked me into a 104-108 waist width...so many choices! So far these are a few I like: ON3P Woodsman, Moment Commander 108, J skis Metal, Nordica Enforcer 104, Head Kore 105, Salomon QST 106, Dynastar Legend 106, Blizzard Cochise ...

Check out the Ranger 108 perhaps? I've got the older Ranger 106 and no complaints on groomers and deep snow. They're a bit of a handful in the bumps, but that's probably 'cause they're 190s.