Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Opinions on best big mountain ski for me- Snowbird

Looking for opinions on what ski to buy this year, I have skied at Snowbird for the last 30+ years and have a season pass there again this year even though the crowds are now insane. I mostly ski on powder days (Upper Silver Fox, Wilber Bowl, Baldy) but still want a ski that is fast and stable on groomers for the non power days. I'm only 150 lbs, 5' 11" and turn 51 this year, yikes! I currently ski on some 2013 184cm Volkl Katana's (143-112-132 R25.8) but looking to downsize just a bit and go to something closer to 100-105mm in width, 180 cm in length, 15-20 meter turn radius, and has camber underfoot. Looking at stuff like the Blizzard Rustler 10, Head Kore 105, Nordica Enforcer 100, Volkl Mantra, .... Thanks!

*Originally started this thread in the general ski discussion which I deleted. ON3P Woodsman 108 182cm was suggested in my original post which is the type of ski I'm looking for.
    Last edited by SLCUTAH; 09-24-2019 at 05:24 PM.

Rax skis. Exactly what you seek.

Get the red ones.

Funny, Rax is exactly what I don't need...

Have you checked out The Metal from J skis? Would certainly fit your description

Praxis RX
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

Skied 3 days at Alta, Snowbird and Deer Valley last spring. I was expecting low-tide conditions, so brought Enforcer 100's. But alas, it snowed a good bit, woohoo! (hence the Deer Valley day - seemed like a better bet for visibility, on the full-on storm day).

Had great luck with the Enforcer's, in 12-18", but wished I'd brought my 190 Bibby's (actually Blisters - same, and same as current Wildcats). Bibbys (and their other-named twins) are probably your best bet for a 1-ski-quiver, in the continental west, IMO. Big Mountain? Maybe not quite full-on - way more fun though, than a true "big mountain ski", on shit/old snow/bumps days, but can seriously rip (stable AF, especially, uncannily, in deep-ass chop), even on big pow days (I have Protests for those days now - can't wait, but the Blisters have been awesome in 3'+ of fresh).

For someone who has "mostly skied powder days," at snowbird (and for 30+ years), I'd think you'd know better than to limit yourself to something like an Enforcer 100. Great ski for sure, but when the big big dumps come, you'll be wishing you had more underfoot.

Fuck, suck it up and get at least two pairs in rotation. If not, my rec: Bibbys/Wildcats FTW.

I'm having trouble with the concept of 100-105 for LCC & BCC.

Yeah, I'm quite a bit older than the OP and learned how to ski POW on 207 slalom skis, but given today's choices, why go under 11x width?

When the big dumps come, do you really want to bring a knife to a gun fight?

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Corvus or maybe some metal skis

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Seriously, take a look at the dynastar x106. It’s a great ski. Floats well and is super fun to ski. Carves like a mofo on the firm. Gets loose easily when needed. I put a review in the Dynastar thread. I would still keep your Katanas for the deep days. I like longer skis but you may want the 182 even though the 188 skis short.

I am gonna lift the bar, and push you out of the chair.
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Why do you want to downsize? Why do you want a shorter radius? What don't you like about the katana?

Snowbird has a lot of open terrain that favors a long radius ski IMO. I ski the og bodacious for 90% of my Snowbird days and it is very similar to the old katana.

I just picked up a pair of Wrenegade 108s that I'm really looking forward to. I also demo'd the woodsman at Alta last year and thought it had plenty of stability.

I have Bodacious for sale.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7020.JPG 
Views:	201 
Size:	206.1 KB 
ID:	295192

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

^186?

184 Kastle mx98, BMX 105 hp or Nordica enforcer
    ... or the red DPS
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Maybe a Rustler 11 or Enforcer 110? I can vouch for the need to slow down a tad with age...some day all you young bucks will understand.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Moment Pb&j if you want to be in the 100mm range. They are the same shape as the Wildcat.

For what ever reason (likely just my older age) the 184 cm Katana's with their 112 waist width combined with their weight has just become a tad too much for me the last few years, again I'm only 150 lbs. I started skiing at Snowbird in the 80's on 203-207 cm slalom skis like most back in the 80's.

I'm still open to waist widths up around 108 and will be keeping my 184cm Katana's for those epic deep/light days. The J skis Metal looks like a good option, as does the Moment PB&J or Wildcat.

Ain't nothin' bigger than this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    Here’s the dumbest person on tgr
    "What are you trying to say? I'm crazy? When I went to your ski schools, I went on your church trips, I went to your alpine race-training facilities? So how can you say I'm crazy?!"

Something that might work for you is Praxis' new "The Ski".

Atypical for them, they have a 19m turn radius. They evolved from the Rx.

I haven't followed this ski closely, but you might want to hop on the Praxis thread.

Looks like they're $323 off at the moment.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Opinions on best big mountain ski for me- Snowbird

They have a really f n sweet pair on their discount page right now
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

My Wren 113's
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ON3P Wren 113.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	905.9 KB 
ID:	295221

If your only reference point for a wider ski is the katana, (which 1. isn't very wide, and 2. has a very traditional shape) perhaps you should go demo pretty much any modern ski. It sounds like you're setting a bunch of arbitrary criteria based on essentially zero experience.

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    I'm having trouble with the concept of 100-105 for LCC & BCC.

Yeah, I'm quite a bit older than the OP and learned how to ski POW on 207 slalom skis, but given today's choices, why go under 11x width?

When the big dumps come, do you really want to bring a knife to a gun fight?

... Thom
    Skied 12 years in the satch and most of that was on under 110underfoot. I always said its better to be in it than on it.....

Quote Originally Posted by eskido View Post
    They have a really f n sweet pair on their discount page right now
    Great prices on all the stock stuff right now.