Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    If your only reference point for a wider ski is the katana, (which 1. isn't very wide, and 2. has a very traditional shape) perhaps you should go demo pretty much any modern ski. It sounds like you're setting a bunch of arbitrary criteria based on essentially zero experience.
    This makes a lot of sense. You’ll have a much better idea of what you want after spending some time on a ski with a more-modern shape and profile.

Quote Originally Posted by waxloaf View Post
    This makes a lot of sense. You’ll have a much better idea of what you want after spending some time on a ski with a more-modern shape and profile.
    Demo (not rent) from the mountain for a day and swap out skis as many times as you can, just to get a sense of what you like. Armed with that knowledge demo some finalists from a shop that would deduct the demo from the final sale. I really dig the people at Lift House (I think they had the rustlers, Kastle 106s and a few others that might move the needle).

Then come here, tell everyone what you decided.... get lit up by the TGR spotlight of truth and purchase some ON3P Woodsmans or Moment Wildcat 108s.

Soul 7's
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

And once you do buy some new skis, sell me your katanas.

^^The katana was named after a type of Japanese sword used by top samurai. It's not for beaters. Do you have the skiing chops to handle such a ski?

I'd also be interested in the 184 Katanas if one mount and still in good condition.

The OP's been skiing for 30 yrs and can't handle them. What makes you two think you can tame those beasts?

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Skied 12 years in the satch and most of that was on under 110underfoot. I always said its better to be in it than on it.....
    Been skiing here for 45yrs.
    I agree w/ Thom.
    Just sayin'....

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    What makes you two think you can tame those beasts?
    Beaters can dream.

^^Well if you do end up getting those katanas, get a good helmet and one of those POC things for your back.

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    Been skiing here for 45yrs.
    I agree w/ Thom.
    Just sayin'....
    I hear that snow out there is like skiing in 3 ft of duck down. You may need a minimum of 130mm underfoot just to see your knees.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    ^^Well if you do end up getting those katanas, get a good helmet and one of those POC things for your back.

I hear that snow out there is like skiing in 3 ft of duck down. You may need a minimum of 130mm underfoot just to see your knees.
    Spent 30ish yrs "down in it".
    Fuck that.....I wanna surf.

So you're saying it's personal preference?

I'll be damned.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    So you're saying it's personal preference?

I'll be damned.

No.
    Like what I like or you suck

No.
    Like what I like or you suck
    Oh yeah! I stand corrected.

I like the mix the smaller ski provides. Wider tip, smaller waist get the best of both. Some of my favorite days at Alta we on 25+" days and on sub 110 skis. I like their versatility when it's not deep too.
    I went through a quiver stage and have skied up to 150 underfoot (moment comi og), and while fun I got to where I didn't feel like changing mid day as conditions changed so I never skied the quiver.

Different strokes I guess. It's all fun that's for sure.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

I was up above it...
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

115 is the new 100

Amazed at how fatter skis can handle soft groomers these days. Firm and bumps are another story entirely.

OP, you order up some Praxis yet? Get er done!

OP--my experience as I age (I've got 18 years and 30 pounds on you) has been to go lighter, softer, less radius but not narrower.
    And I advise against age-appropriate binding settings. They're why my season ended Feb 16.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    OP--my experience as I age (I've got 18 years and 30 pounds on you) has been to go lighter, softer, less radius but not narrower.
    And I advise against age-appropriate binding settings. They're why my season ended Feb 16.
    I'm thinking of softening things up a bit for my fatties as well. My BGs kick my butt in confined spaces. I love them in wide open terrain, but you can't change skis mid-run.

We're the same age, although I'm a bit lighter, at 165 Lbs.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 01-08-2020 at 12:52 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by SLCUTAH View Post
    but looking to downsize just a bit and go to something closer to 100-105mm in width, 180 cm in length, 15-20 meter turn radius, and has camber underfoot. Looking at stuff like the Blizzard Rustler 10, Head Kore 105, Nordica Enforcer 100, Volkl Mantra, ....
    pretty sure none of those are big mtn skis.

for your category you should be looking at the moment commander 108 (more directional) or wildcat 108 (more playful)

if i skied mostly powder days and refused to buy more than one ski i'd get bibby's, as mentioned below

Every ski is a big-mountain ski, if you're not a bitch.

I have a pair of barely used enforcers for sale. 185cm mounted once for pivots.
    Took me like 10 minutes to figure out how to change this shit

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    I was up above it...
    Kinda like a cloud, I was up, way up in the sky ...
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Quote Originally Posted by SLCUTAH View Post
    For what ever reason (likely just my older age) the 184 cm Katana's with their 112 waist width combined with their weight has just become a tad too much for me the last few years, again I'm only 150 lbs. I started skiing at Snowbird in the 80's on 203-207 cm slalom skis like most back in the 80's.

I'm still open to waist widths up around 108 and will be keeping my 184cm Katana's for those epic deep/light days. The J skis Metal looks like a good option, as does the Moment PB&J or Wildcat.
    Close to 50 and 100+ days at Alta and a handful more at Snowbird and DV. I skied a QST106 on plenty of deep days and occasionally started some of them on a Pescado. The Pescado may not be for me so I’ve added an Enforcer Free 115 during the off-season.

Quote Originally Posted by Abol98 View Post
    Demo (not rent) from the mountain for a day and swap out skis as many times as you can, just to get a sense of what you like. Armed with that knowledge demo some finalists from a shop that would deduct the demo from the final price
    If you pick up a demo from Powderhouse in Holladay you can then trade them out at any of the 4 locations at Alta and avoid paying the higher amount which includes a resort tax.

Lots of good information from most of you. I was hoping to find the right ski without going the demo route by using this huge data base. Looking at all of the recommendations so far the J Ski Metal intrigues me the most. I agree the best thing for me to do would be to demo a bunch and figure out what I like on my own but that can get time consuming and a bit pricey plus put me well into the season.

When I do get new skis I may just sell my Katana's which have only been mounted once and still in good condition considering they are 6 years old.