Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    My Boulder recommendations for eating:

High end: Kitchen, Frasca, Oak, Brasserie Ten-Ten, Riff's, Salt, Blackbelly, Arcana
    Mid range: Centro, Kitchen Next Door, The Post, Under the Sun, Mojo Taqueria
    Cheap eats: Zoe Ma Ma, Illegal Pete's, Southern Sun/Mountain Sun, Cured (sandwiches), Rincon Argentina (empenadas), Tiffin's (Indian)
    Pizza: Pizzeria Locale for neopolitan, Aubrey Jane's Pizza Garage for NY style (great Sicilian slices)
    Sushi: Sushi Zanmai (fun vibe, decent sushi) - sister restaurant next door Amu has great izakaya style Japanese food
    Ice Cream: Sweet Cow, Glacier
    Cocktails: Bitter Bar, Oak, Blackbelly
    Breweries: Oskar Blues, Mountain Sun/Southern Sun
    Happy Hour: Hotel St. Julien patio, Kitchen Upstairs, Bitter Bar
    Breakfast: Lucile's, Parkway Cafe, Brasserie Ten Ten

You're gonna need a reservation for any of the high-end restaurants above and sometimes the midrange; everything else is fine to just walk in. Downtown is always crowded but it's fine if you have a reservation.

Don't listen to the haters, Boulder's still a fun scene. It's very white and rich, but if you can get past that there's still good food and drink, great hiking and outdoor fun, and good people.
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

This is a phenomenal list, actually. I added the Med and Rayback to it, and then filled in more breweries. This list would treat anyone right who is spending time in The People's Republic of Boulder.

Quote Originally Posted by Pegleg View Post
    My Boulder recommendations for eating:

High end: Kitchen, Frasca, Oak, Brasserie Ten-Ten, Riff's, Salt, Blackbelly, Arcana, The Med
    Mid range: Centro, Kitchen Next Door, The Post, Under the Sun, Mojo Taqueria
    Cheap eats: Zoe Ma Ma, Illegal Pete's, Southern Sun/Mountain Sun, Cured (sandwiches), Rincon Argentina (empenadas), Tiffin's (Indian), Rayback
    Pizza: Pizzeria Locale for neopolitan, Aubrey Jane's Pizza Garage for NY style (great Sicilian slices)
    Sushi: Sushi Zanmai (fun vibe, decent sushi) - sister restaurant next door Amu has great izakaya style Japanese food
    Ice Cream: Sweet Cow, Glacier
    Cocktails: Bitter Bar, Oak, Blackbelly
    Breweries: Oskar Blues, Mountain Sun/Southern Sun, Avery Brewing, West Flanders, No Food: Finkel&Garf, Asher, Upslope, Sanitas
    Happy Hour: Hotel St. Julien patio, Kitchen Upstairs, Bitter Bar
    Breakfast: Lucile's, Parkway Cafe, Brasserie Ten Ten

Boulder Mags — local beta

I would also put Via Perla, River and Woods, and Corrida on the high-end, as well as Foolish Craig’s and Thai Avenue on the cheap section.

Pegleg knows his food.

I would also like to repost this because it really is true

Don't listen to the haters, Boulder's still a fun scene. It's very white and rich, but if you can get past that there's still good food and drink, great hiking and outdoor fun, and good people.
    My problem is I'm far from rich, and it's hard to enjoy all the food and drink without the $.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    I would also put Via Perla, River and Woods, and Corrida on the high-end, as well as Foolish Craig’s and Thai Avenue on the cheap section.
    Haven't made it to Corrida yet, but Stupendous Man described it as a "wallet-emptying" experience. I'm looking for an opportunity to have a client dinner there...

And I totally forgot about Foolish Craig's. Haven't been there in years, gotta go back sometime. Used to have great overstuffed crepes.

Also - I forgot about Little Tibet in North Boulder. Best Tibetan food in town (sorry, Sherpas) and it's way up north so it doesn't suffer from downtown traffic and crowds.
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

No love for the Walnut Cafe(s) for breakfast? I'm admittedly not a frequent breakfast goer but I always thought the Walnut was solid no frills.

There is something wrong with waiting an hour to get breakfast, Lucile’s is good but the wait is retarded. The Buff, Dot’s Diner, Parkway or Walnut Cafe are all great without the wait.

Not sure what category, maybe, cold-busting, but Chez Thuy for Pho should be on the list. I always liked Kathmandu for cheap eats too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ULLRismyco-pilot View Post
    But that's about all I got for ya, I generally avoid that town.
    Fer real, I heard through a withered grapevine your noggin would spontaneously combust below 7500 feet…

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Eldo has to be the most overrated chosspile of a climbing area in the country. It's crowded as a motherfucker, and the rock is garbage with loose kitty litter on every ledge and big detached blocks all over the place. I swear some gaper drops a rock on my head every fucking time I go there. Not only that, but the pro generally sucks and all the climbing is off balance and awkward, and all the popular routes are polished and greasy. It has a lot of history, but for actual quality of climbing, there are far better places in Colorado.
    True. Stay away. Everyone please stay away from eldo

Many, many thanks to the Boulder and ex-Boulder Mags who were kind enough to help out. Had a great weekend, did a bunch of the stuff on campus and had a little time to prowl around the town; hope to hit some of the nearby outdoor suggestions during a less programmed weekend. For food, we hit Mateos (great food, location, super friendly service); Lucille’s for breakfast (wait was short, awesome breakfast, was with some former New Orleans folks who vouched for its authenticity); River + Woods (wow, amazing food, service, atmosphere), and was dragged by the kid to Cosmos on The Hill (huge slices of decent pizza for about $3, basically heaven on earth for late night college dining). Also, ducked into Bohemian Biergarten for some worthy pints.

Again, Mags come through. Had some other stuff going on with the kid so having all the food spots locked down ahead of time really helped. If anyone is ever in need of DC or NoVa beta, hit me up.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums