Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Boulder Mags — local beta

Mrs. TR and I are headed out next month to the zoo that is our first CU parents weekend. Any recommendations for cool/fun restaurants, brewpubs, breakfast places away from ground zero Pearl St. Mall? We will be staying near Walnut and 20th and have a car but always enjoy walkable stuff. Feel free to PM. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Just wrapped up 4 years on the frange - many a fond memory of FYIPA and a Christmas style burrito at the mountain sun brewery. Unlimited samples - great hummus too. Just bring cash.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Boulder Tea House when you need to decompress for a minute.

Can someone bump one of the Boulder threads?

I'll throw some stuff your way when I get to a computer.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

“How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Thanks, good stuff in that thread, may be back with some update questions.

Some of the recommendations from that thread are gone, e.g., L’Atelier. You’ll be staying at a good end of town to avoid (most) of the parents weekend chaos, which generally focuses on the west end of Pearl. My suggestions:

Laughing Goat for coffee.

Breakfast: Lucile’s or Le French Cafe

Lunch: Dish or Snarf’s

Dinner/happy hour:
    Mountain Sun- I’ve always found the beer a little overrated, but the food is underrated. A Boulder classic.
    Pizzeria Locale- service seems to have slipped a bit recently, but food still great.
    Mateo- if you want something a touch fancier.
    River and Woods- this place has been the hot shit in recent years, but I’ve been pretty underwhelmed both times I’ve been. Cool outdoor seating if the weather allows.

The bar at Full Cycle (bike shop) usually has a great beer selection and is a cool happy hour spot. If you are a real beer geek then a lot of the best breweries are in the surrounding L-towns and a short drive away (Odd13, Oskar Blues, etc.).

Thirded Mtn Sun....

Is The Sink still around lol?

Well, you're at Walnut and 20th, looking for walkable stuff but not part of the mall? Tall order.

I don't go out much, so my choices may not represent the new hotness, but...

Agree with canyonrider's choices. Lucile's is right in the thick of it, but is so damn good and worth the wait. I prefer Dish over Snarf's, but Snarf's is perhaps more of an institution.

I prefer the Southern Sun and Under the Sun to the Mountain Sun, if you want to drive away from downtown. Same beer and food at Southern Sun (mostly), slightly more upscale food at Under The Sun.

Haven't been in ages, but Arabesque has some good middle eastern.

Dushanbe Teahouse will be a mob scene, but it's a cool spot.

The Farmer's Market on Saturday until 2 is a happening scene (it is where people in Boulder go to see and be seen), with a food court. It's on 13th, right in front of the teahouse.

The Buff has good breakfast, it's walkable and not on the mall, but it will be super crowded too, because it always is on weekends.

Good coffee and fancy foods at Cured. They also have great premade sammiches.
    Last edited by Danno; 09-24-2019 at 09:59 AM.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Boulder Mags — local beta

Canyonrider and danno had some good recs for stuff you could probably walk to on east pearl. There’s some decent stuff around Arapaho and folsom you could walk to: backcountry pizza for a strong beer selection and zolo for lunch/dinner/margs. Rayback collective for food trucks and chez thuy for Vietnamese might be walkable from there.

when is CU parents weekend? Need to know when to be extra nervous about drivers around town and when to not go downtown.

Why do you want to avoid Pearl Street for dinner? The best restaurants are located on or near Pearl, and there are so many to choose from. A few of my favorites are Brasserie Ten Ten, River and Woods, Oak on Fourteenth, and Riff's.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Is The Village still a place? If you want real diner style comfort breakfast that's the place to go.

My Boulder recommendation:

Take the bus to Denver.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    My Boulder recommendation:

Take the bus to Denver.

I work in Denver, I'm here every day. Not sure why you'd recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I work in Denver, I'm here every day. Not sure why you'd recommend it.
    Only because I generally detest Boulder.

Good recs for Boulder.

If you want to get away from the mob, and you like cider at all, you might go to Acreage in Lafayette. Better views than just about anywhere in Boulder, good food and cider (according to my wife- I hate the stuff). Not too busy this time of year.

Also Moxie Bread in Louisville is outstanding for food, bread, coffee. Can be super busy though.

Thanks all for some great recommendations. Was told Pearl would be a mob scene, but if I score reservations, I guess who cares. Parent’s weekend is Oct 4-6, so run for the hills!

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeRidges View Post
    Thanks all for some great recommendations. Was told Pearl would be a mob scene, but if I score reservations, I guess who cares. Parent’s weekend is Oct 4-6, so run for the hills!

yeah, "mob scene" just means "have reservations". It's not like the mall suddenly becomes unpleasant to stroll down (or, in the case of skaredshtles, MORE unpleasant), it just means that you can't walk in to a restaurant at 7pm on Saturday and expect a table.

That’s funny I feel the same way about Denver.

Yeah, Boulder is awful
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2340.JPG 
Views:	88 
Size:	927.3 KB 
ID:	295176

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    That’s funny I feel the same way about Denver.
    I actually do too.

Southern Sun has really good poutine. It's one of my favorite post run meals in Boulder. Rincon Argentino has really good empanadas. Oak is IMHO the best fine dining restaurant in Boulder although admittedly I haven't eaten there in about 18 months. Make a reservation far in advance for parents weekend.

If the weather is good consider hiking up Green Mountain from Realization Point. It's easy and the views are awesome. For a bit more challenge start down at the Greggory Canyon trailhead. Remember to bring cash/check for paying for parking.

For a bit more of a challenge, Bear Peak from NCAR via Fern Canyon and down the West Ridge to Bear Canyon is my favorite hike/trail run in the front range. It's 8 miles and 3k feet of gain. Parking at NCAR is free.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    Southern Sun has really good poutine. It's one of my favorite post run meals in Boulder. Rincon Argentino has really good empanadas. Oak is IMHO the best fine dining restaurant in Boulder although admittedly I haven't eaten there in about 18 months. Make a reservation far in advance for parents weekend.

If the weather is good consider hiking up Green Mountain from Realization Point. It's easy and the views are awesome. For a bit more challenge start down at the Greggory Canyon trailhead. Remember to bring cash/check for paying for parking.

For a bit more of a challenge, Bear Peak from NCAR via Fern Canyon and down the West Ridge to Bear Canyon is my favorite hike/trail run in the front range. It's 8 miles and 3k feet of gain. Parking at NCAR is free.
    Frequent trail closures in and around bear canyon at the moment.

Sent from my Pixel using TGR Forums mobile app