Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

US phone plan for a month ?

Coming from CND to go bike for a month in the US. Have an unlocked iphone, and looking to be able to use my phone for OCt 15-Nov 15th (Utah, AZ, NV)

Will be back into the states again, but its usually for 1-2 weeks, every 2-4 months, so dont want to have to pay for months when I'm not around.

Best provider/plan to use for a short time frame?

CND roaming changes in the US as high, so not doing that.

when I travel out of the US my carrier (Verizon) can give me an international plan by the week/month. Activate when you leave, deactivate when you return. No annual plan needed. Have you talked to your carrier?

Verizon has the best coverage out in rural areas in the western US. They offer prepaid plans that don't require a long term contract.

Google Fi lets you pause service, but I don't know for how long it can be paused. No contract required. Unfortunately, Fi uses T Mobile and Sprint networks, which don't have very good coverage in the boonies. I have Fi because I'm mostly in wifi range and because I like the international roaming (no additional cost for data usage in other countries) - I just put up with the crappy cellular coverage.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by N1CK. View Post
    when I travel out of the US my carrier (Verizon) can give me an international plan by the week/month. Activate when you leave, deactivate when you return. No annual plan needed. Have you talked to your carrier?
    My Carrier is CND is koodo and charges $8/day to use my CND data/number. Its fine for a few days, but not for a month.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Verizon has the best coverage out in rural areas in the western US. They offer prepaid plans that don't require a long term contract.

Google Fi lets you pause service, but I don't know for how long it can be paused. No contract required. Unfortunately, Fi uses T Mobile and Sprint networks, which don't have very good coverage in the boonies. I have Fi because I'm mostly in wifi range and because I like the international roaming (no additional cost for data usage in other countries) - I just put up with the crappy cellular coverage.
    Thanks, I'll look into Verizon

“How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Or one of the MVNOs that uses Verizon's network in the are you are visiting. You can walk into Walmart and get a TracFone SIM and buy units of service. That's not necessarily the best or cheapest provider, however it's an option, and it fits the requirement for a short term plan. A lot will depend on exactly how much data you want to consume.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Or one of the MVNOs that uses Verizon's network in the are you are visiting. You can walk into Walmart and get a TracFone SIM and buy units of service. That's not necessarily the best or cheapest provider, however it's an option, and it fits the requirement for a short term plan. A lot will depend on exactly how much data you want to consume.
    I'll look into that too
    seem to use 1-2G data a month at home, I hope less on the road (busy biking and eating and sleeping)

Walmart has a number of prepaid options and might be your best bet for an "America phone". I've heard Straight Talk uses Verizon's towers and is cheap. Ditto them also typically having the best coverage in the middle of nowhere. Although. Northern Idaho not so much. IDK if anyone really covers Northern Idaho/Western Montana border very well.
    You gonna be traveling around riding? Hit me up if you come through the Missoula area.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Walmart has a number of prepaid options and might be your best bet for an "America phone". I've heard Straight Talk uses Verizon's towers and is cheap. Ditto them also typically having the best coverage in the middle of nowhere. Although. Northern Idaho not so much. IDK if anyone really covers Northern Idaho/Western Montana border very well.
    You gonna be traveling around riding? Hit me up if you come through the Missoula area.
    Thanks, I'm not traveling until Oct 15, so odds are heading right to Utah (warmer) but if the weather holds might come ride in whitefish and make my way down slowly. No real firm plans needed. first 10 days are solo.

Walmart for the camping AND phone win maybe?

For a summer camp, we got our grom a prepaid month from Verizon for 30 bucks. 2gb of data and unlimited calls. Seemed to work well.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mattig View Post
    For a summer camp, we got our grom a prepaid month from Verizon for 30 bucks. 2gb of data and unlimited calls. Seemed to work well.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    seems like a good trade for a grom

oh, wait, you bought that plan FOR the grom, still a good deal.

Winter is scheduled to start this weekend. So enjoy Utah!
    No longer stuck.

Winter is scheduled to start this weekend. So enjoy Utah!
    I know. looking like I might have to go to highwood pass

At Walmart - Tracfone is the parent company. Straight Talk is the one on AT&T towers, and Total Wireless is on Verizon towers.

I'd suggest not porting a number back and forth - my experience porting in/out of Total Wireless was messy and a headache. Perhaps you could set up forwarding in your Canadian number, to send calls to the temporary US number.

Mrs C is still using Total Wireless and coverage is good, for her, on a Android phone. A coworker and son tried using TW on iPhones and complained coverage was poor, in areas where Android was fine. So if you have an iPhone, YMMV - might want to just go to a Verizon store and buy a prepaid plan there. It'll be a little more expensive than TW but you'll get better customer service.
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Not sure when number porting jumped into the equation. Don't do that. The OP is essentially looking for a burner phone.

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    My Carrier is CND is koodo and charges $8/day to use my CND data/number. Its fine for a few days, but not for a month.
    For what it's worth, the max charge for roaming is $100/month on Koodo. So, after 13 days or so it's free. Not the cheapest option but certainly the least hassle.

We use this for Au Pairs who need a US number but have their own phones. $6 for the line then pay as you go, and they use the big networks. If you are going to be using major amounts of data than it may end up more than the unlimited plans, but thought I'd mention it.

https://ting.com/

There are a few things to check- first even though you have an unlocked phone- it may not have all the bands and be allowed on all 4 of the major US towers. If it is a GSM only phone then Verizon prepaid may not allow it because in rural areas you would be either not getting any service (which they would not care) or would be trying to use some other towers roaming (which many prepaid plans also do not allow, but a few do offer roaming.)

If you have your ESN then chat with a few of the carriers before you leave and see if they will allow the phone on their network. Verizon and Sprint are CDMA talk in rural areas still. But Verizon is probably going to be more money even in prepaid but have much better coverage. It may not matter if you are only going to be in one area. On the GSM side you have AT&T and T-Mobile. AT&T in general again is going to be more money but better coverage in rural areas. All have MNVO options that they either own themselves or agreements with the major MNVO companies (America Movil- which has Tracfone, Net10, Straightalk, Total Wireless (all the first 3 have multiple carriers they can put you on if you know the difference in coverage will matter and know the phone) Page Plus- Verizon towers only and 3 or 4 others. As stated they all can be done at a Walmart most of the time (expect a few)...

You may also want to check to see if any of these offerings also have Canada talk- then you could in a pinch still use the US number back at home. You could also do a Google Voice number and put the app on your phone and then use data (either Wifi or cellular data through a prepaid carrier)... Do not have to worry about this option if you message people or get a call it would still get to you either with a voice mail or text message.

Do you have any idea on the amount of data you would need or go through? That will help decide and narrow down the recommendation of some to look at and budget. (Should be under $50 though even for unlimited talk and text and a pretty good size block of 4G data per month... A few of the companies have a 60 or 90 day service offering, but you could be better off turning it on and off as needed with 30 days of service plans.

Some Verizon MNVO tower companies: Selectel Wireless, Red Pocket (they have ebay auctions for their plans regularly and also have AT&T and T-Mobile offerings not just Verizon), Boom US Mobile, and a few others.
    AT&T - Cricket, h2o wireless, Pure Talk, Red Pocket again, and a few others.
    T-Mobile has a bunch also...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...work_operators is a complete listing to narrow down if you do not pick one of the 3 biggest- Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile direct prepaid plans.

Both Walmart and Target have a few dedicated (and not store employees) that sometimes are knowledgeable and helpful. But it is a bit of a roll of the dice as you could also get the slightly above mim. wage store employee that knows very little about the plans and carriers too depending on the time and store you visit.

One other thing to consider, is will you needing to be calling Canada while in the US (to return calls or whatever)? If so that will narrow down a good number of them or else have you looking at which prepaid offerings allow you to add Canada telephone calling as an add on (many times something like $10 per month more)
    Last edited by RShea; 09-24-2019 at 01:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Not sure when number porting jumped into the equation. Don't do that. The OP is essentially looking for a burner phone.
    I agree Mtnlion wants to get a new US number (with a sim only and bring your own device possibly instead of getting a cheap disposable "burner phone" unless his phone will not work on the carrier that has the best coverage...

At Walmart - Tracfone is the parent company. Straight Talk is the one on AT&T towers, and Total Wireless is on Verizon towers.
    Straightalk is available on either the Verizon or the AT&T Network at Walmart or on line directly. And technically America Movil is the parent company of all the Tracfone and sister companies and support and customer service is overseas call centers (Guy is out of Mexico and one of the richest Westerners in the World.)
    Last edited by RShea; 09-24-2019 at 02:49 PM.

^^^ I stand corrected. I thought Straight Talk was AT&T only...

^^^ I stand corrected. I thought Straight Talk was AT&T only...
    They only really tell you based on the color of the package for the sim card and the part number codes. You could get Sprint even (not that you probably would want them as they are all the same money and not any savings). They place each area under a preferred market depending on the coverage for Tracfone products. Not sure on the Straightalk as they only sell through Walmart and not through any cellular dealers.

Now that Verizon uses micro-sim, can you just change sim cards?

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    They only really tell you based on the color of the package for the sim card and the part number codes. You could get Sprint even (not that you probably would want them as they are all the same money and not any savings). They place each area under a preferred market depending on the coverage for Tracfone products. Not sure on the Straightalk as they only sell through Walmart and not through any cellular dealers.
    Interesting
    No longer stuck.

always have ting for secondary.