Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Now that Verizon uses micro-sim, can you just change sim cards?

Interesting
    Yes, you can change sim cards, but again if you do not know how they code them, unless you can order directly or have a person in the Walmart that knows what is what, then you may end up with a another carrier that is not as good of coverage.... And not all phones use micro sims. So they send use the cards with the 3 most popular cut outs- standard sim for hotspots, micro sim and nano sim for newer devices.

Right, but if you got a prepaid sim that uses X networks, would it be big deal to just swap the sim, or would it be so glitchy and costly that you might as well get a Samsung Galaxy on Straight Talk or something like that?
    No longer stuck.

Just an uneducated guess.

Right, but if you got a prepaid sim that uses X networks, would it be big deal to just swap the sim, or would it be so glitchy and costly that you might as well get a Samsung Galaxy on Straight Talk or something like that?
    Let me just explain it to you. The Sim is going to be company specific most of the time. IE Straightalk, or whatever MNVO. But if the company has plans on Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, and Sprint network towers, they could and usually are different Sims based on the codes and network activation. Then each phone of course could require the different sized Sims. So afaik a Straightalk Sim on Verizon is going to be different than a Straightalk sim on AT&T- so it is 4 different Sims for the various carriers. https://get.straighttalk.com/keep-your-own-phone/ If you know your phone works on GSM networks then you could get an AT&T Straightalk Sim, or end up also with a T-Mobile based network Sim from Straightalk. It is easy on the link I provided but not as easy to know if you just walk into a store and not understand how it is set up. If people get T-Mobile sim and end up with coverage issues, then they may blame the phone or the carrier (Straightalk) when they can't make a call (and maybe in fact would be getting coverage with an AT&T Sim)... Tracfone and a number of them work the same way...

Last time I bought a TracFone SIM at Walmart the container was marked as to which networks it worked on.
    And which size SIM slots it worked with. So armed with a coverage map and knowing which bands were needed (and that my phone had those) I got exactly what I needed. I had an urgent need and Walmart happened to have what I needed in stock. Normally I have TracFone ship me one for cheaper. However, the OP is in Canada and I am making an educated guess that he needs to walk into a store in the US.

I was asking about cost and how well it might work given how companies like Verizon kinda lock down the phone, have custom hardware, etc.
    I get the network and tower thing.
    No longer stuck.

Just an uneducated guess.