Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

PSA: 2019 WA employees with new Babies

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image-1.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	190.7 KB 
ID:	294728

If you had a kid in 2019 and took parental leave and came back to work you can actually take a second leave in 2020 with partial pay.

You have 12 months from the birth to use the benefit.

Milk it, this the only time it will happen like this.

https://www.paidleave.wa.gov/workers...SACEgIMTPD_BwE

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Can I adopt a kid, take my family leave, and then return the kid?

PSA: 2019 WA employees with new Babies

Yes.

Just keep the receipt in case they can’t look up the purchase on your rewards card.

Love how we are incentivizing people to have children in our state. I'm all for paying taxes to send your stupid offspring to school, but giving you vacation time is straight fucked.

I do love all my friends children and if you choose to do so that is awesome. We need more normal folks having babies to offset the derps. Taxing me for a vacation I will never take is pretty dumb
    god created man. winchester and baseball bats made them equal - evel kenievel

Yea that makes sense.

This is the only year where you can do what I mentioned because of the overlap and when the program starts and only for the birth of a child.

After that it’s not a vacation fund. It requires medical certification to authorize the time off and pay.

You need to miss 6 weeks for cancer treatment and your out of PTO this helps family’s that may be paycheck to paycheck.

12 weeks of partial pay to care and bond with a new baby is good for everyone in society if you believe the children are the future. In most cases it’s the poor who can’t afford to miss work so this helps middle class.

This will run concurrent with FMLA so no additional time off, just the pay component.

And the US has the absolute worst parental leave benefits in the developed world.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeedashbo View Post
    Love how we are incentivizing people to have children in our state. I'm all for paying taxes to send your stupid offspring to school, but giving you vacation time is straight fucked.

I do love all my friends children and if you choose to do so that is awesome. We need more normal folks having babies to offset the derps. Taxing me for a vacation I will never take is pretty dumb
    If you get sick or injured and cannot work and do not have any PTO (at all or left to cover your time off) this new program will cover you similar to unemployment insurance, which we all also pay into.

Our living expenses are high in this state and many people lose their housing due to injury/illness.

You can purchase private short term disability insurance, but it will cost you a lot more than the tax to cover this..

As for maternity/paternity leave, look at what the rest of the first world countries have...

That bonding period is super important for babies. Healthy mamas and healthy babies have a strong correlation with healthy societies..

Exactly ^

My GF was on maternity leave from Delta for 5 years.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Le Leche has a union?
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Quote Originally Posted by mtngirl79 View Post
    If you get sick or injured and cannot work and do not have any PTO (at all or left to cover your time off) this new program will cover you similar to unemployment insurance, which we all also pay into.

Our living expenses are high in this state and many people lose their housing due to injury/illness.

You can purchase private short term disability insurance, but it will cost you a lot more than the tax to cover this..

As for maternity/paternity leave, look at what the rest of the first world countries have...

That bonding period is super important for babies. Healthy mamas and healthy babies have a strong correlation with healthy societies..
    Not nearly as strong a correlation as children with both parents still together.

What are we doing to help that cause?

Quote Originally Posted by Deebased View Post
    Not nearly as strong a correlation as children with both parents still together.

What are we doing to help that cause?
    I would guess that two of the major stressors that contribute to divorce are stress over raising children and stress over money.

Seems like this aims to reduce those stressors plus provide family bonding time.

How would you suggest the government prevent divorce?

Also, not sure about where your statistics are from.

I have read some articles saying that having divorced parents that act/acted like grown ups and sheltered the kids from fighting and parental alienation and worked together on raising them as a team produced more resilient kids...

Paid? Accumulated vacation and sick? Disability insurance? The internet says delta provides 6 weeks paid and 12 weeks unpaid...

Or she had that many babies and you are adding it all together?

Does she work for Delta in another country?

Delta was sued due to not providing places for women to pump breast milk.. seems like with that much maternity leave available working and pumping would not be unnecessary.

I question this comment about "five years of maternity leave" because it makes people think women will take advantage of maternity leave...

Or that there is plenty of leave available... there isnt.

I highly doubt it was “maternity leave”. Without more details I can’t comment but that’s unprecedented even in Europe, paid or unpaid.

Unheard of in US.

I would guess that two of the major stressors that contribute to divorce are stress over raising children and stress over money.

Seems like this aims to reduce those stressors plus provide family bonding time.

How would you suggest the government prevent divorce?

Government distribution of MDMA in the water supply.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    I highly doubt it was “maternity leave”. Without more details I can’t comment but that’s unprecedented even in Europe, paid or unpaid.

Unheard of in US.

Yeah, even with having multiple children... I cant see it being true and it sucks when people tell lies like these because people believe them.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeedashbo View Post

It's more terrible corporate policies forcing their hand. A woman is not generally ready to go back physically, let alone mentally, 6 weeks after birth, but that's the state of many places (you technically get 12 weeks unpaid, but paying for the birth+3 months of lost wages is beyond most).

Paid? Accumulated vacation and sick? Disability insurance? The internet says delta provides 6 weeks paid and 12 weeks unpaid...

Or she had that many babies and you are adding it all together?

Does she work for Delta in another country?

Delta was sued due to not providing places for women to pump breast milk.. seems like with that much maternity leave available working and pumping would not be unnecessary.

I question this comment about "five years of maternity leave" because it makes people think women will take advantage of maternity leave...

Or that there is plenty of leave available... there isnt.
    For crying out loud, come on now.

This is my friend. I know her. I witnessed her on maternity leave. She had two kids (1995 & 1998) and was off work with her position in place for 5 years. After 5 years she stepped back into her job at the same level she'd been at before. I did not discuss her financial situation with her but suffice to say she was not lacking (yes, she was/is married). She hubs out of SLC. She was on leave to have and raise her children.

Yeah, even with having multiple children... I cant see it being true and it sucks when people tell lies like these because people believe them.
    Fuck you. You really are insufferable.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

For crying out loud, come on now.

This is my friend. I know her. I witnessed her on maternity leave. She had two kids (1995 & 1998) and was off work with her position in place for 5 years. After 5 years she stepped back into her job at the same level she'd been at before. I did not discuss her financial situation with her but suffice to say she was not lacking (yes, she was/is married). She hubs out of SLC. She was on leave to have and raise her children.

Fuck you. You really are insufferable.
    Sounds like they hired her back after 5 years which is way different from "maternity leave".

Fuck you, too.

CAT FIGHT!!!!

There is maternity leave and then there is paid maternity leave.

I know a boomer-aged stewie. Worked a light load of International flights out of NYC until she was 65. I'd kid her about how the stewardesses today are different from back in the "Fly Me" days.

A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

As a boner riddled little creeper kid I’d always take the aisle seat so the stewardesses would brush their asses by my shoulder when they walked by. I’d then take a deep whiff of their perfume and fall in love.

There's a thing that they do that stewies call "crop dusting" as a flight descends.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Bump reminder.

Any moms and pops out there that had a kid in 2019 can get 12 weeks paid leave within 12 months of birth from the state to bond with your kiddo.

This means mom can take 12 weeks and then dad can take 12 weeks separately to give 24 weeks of bonding or take them at the same time (as long as your baby momma doesn’t annoy the crap outta you).

Remember, this is an entitlement so it’s illegal for your employer to deny your leave request.

Coordinating with FMLA these two entitlements can be stacked for baby bonding. 24 weeks with mum, 24 weeks with pop, baby gets 48 weeks (plus the 4 weeks pregnancy disability) so a full year with parents (no daycare bill).

PM me if any yinz need more info.

You can’t apply until 1/1/20

https://www.paidleave.wa.gov/workers...SACEgJZnPD_BwE

Depending on how your employer structured this you may be able to take your PTO and sick pay on top of the state benefit, yes, this means you can actually be paid more while on leave than at work. Employer just has to categorize the PTO/sick as “supplemental” with the state.

So great!!

A guy I work with was hoping to take advantage of this and then he found out it doesn't apply to him because we're union:
    3. You are not a federal employee, employed by an employer who has an approved exemption because paid family and medical leave benefits are provided through a voluntary plan, or covered by a collective bargaining agreement that hasn’t been opened or renegotiated since before October 19, 2017.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    A guy I work with was hoping to take advantage of this and then he found out it doesn't apply to him because we're union:
    Ouch. Yup there are some CBA provisions that exclude certain agreements. When those agreements expire and they renew they will likely include WAPFML.

Doesn’t help him now though.