Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I can only imagine the look on my bosses face if I tried taking this (in CA but we have a similar option). I’m pretty sure my bonus for that year would be zilch.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    I can only imagine the look on my bosses face if I tried taking this (in CA but we have a similar option). I’m pretty sure my bonus for that year would be zilch.
    Gotta love America.

Glad it finally happened, but as neo said that's a stretch for certain types of critical employees to swing. 1k max weekly and only a 2/3 income reimbursement will make it a nogo for some as well. Good that it's flexible enough to accommodate a modified work week though.

loved seeing this email come through last week. good bump

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Seriously? In this day and age that's pretty pathetic.

We just adopted before Thanksgiving and our parent company HR lady sent me a reminder that I get six weeks off. So far it's been one afternoon.

In my narrow experience, if a dude can take six weeks off and not damage the business, something is wrong to begin with. As for gals, I get it. But dudes? Seems a little over the top.

OK, boomer!

i don’t believe i can take away a coherent thought from that second paragraph. impressive.

I took 3 weeks off and it was just about enough. When their that little it’s just suck tit, nap, shit, suck tit, nap, piss, suck tit, shart, cry, nap....sounds great. The baby really needs it’s mom and the dad seems to be a chore bitch mostly (my experience) to help the mom. Now if i could take time off now that she’s 4 it’d be awesome. Kid is a sponge and a blast to hang out with, funniest person I know.

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    In my narrow experience, if a dude can take six weeks off and not damage the business, something is wrong to begin with. As for gals, I get it. But dudes? Seems a little over the top.
    The only thing I can infer with some confidence from this statement is that you think you are FAR more important to your employer than you actually are. With the exception of literally a few hundred people around the world, nobody's role in any organization is truly critical or irreplaceable.

Well, that and the obvious, galling, 19th-century style misogyny, but I guess that's cutting edge shit in Idaho these days.

This seems great if you work for an Amazon or Boeing or something as a cog in a very big wheel. I can't see this working AT ALL if you work for a fast paced small business especially in a management position.

Yes believe it or not there are lots of jobs and people that are highly important to their employer and taking 3 months off would put a large strain on said employer.

I understand that's the reality, but I also think that's one of the things that's the most fucked in this world. Unless you're saving lives, work shouldn't be this important that you can't take some time off for a huge life event such as this. Plenty of other countries do this and they seem to be doing ok, in fact they're the ones typically topping the lists of best and happiest countries to live in.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    nobody's role in any organization is truly critical.
    I think I work somewhere a little more lean on the resources than you. Small to mid sized companies have very little besides critical roles, per Leavenworth's post. Yes, you take off a week or two but six is a long time.

As for mysogony, I appreciate your hard-on for MtnGirl but my opinion is that women have less of a choice because of what the process actually requires of them. Having had two kids, my wife not taking leave wasn't much of an option either time. Not saying it's impossible, but simply more difficult. BOTH of us leaving felt a bit less necessary. I'm not suggesting that they SHOULD take leave as opposed to a man, or anything to that effect. Birth is a serious process and nature demands more of mom than dad in the first few months. Unless you lactate or have a vagina that we don't know about.

You can now safely go back to your social media warrior dance because you obviously don't matter to your employer?

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I understand that's the reality, but I also think that's one of the things that's the most fucked in this world. Unless you're saving lives, work shouldn't be this important that you can't take some time off for a huge life event such as this. Plenty of other countries do this and they seem to be doing ok, in fact they're the ones typically topping the lists of best and happiest countries to live in.
    100% agree.

In the U.S. I feel like there's this perception that you're being lazy unless you're working 50 hour or more per week. WTF is wrong with us?

the world would stop with a 4 day work week, too, right?

In the U.S. I feel like there's this perception that you're being lazy unless you're working 50 hour or more per week. WTF is wrong with us?
    20 hours of actual work, 30 hours of bullshit meetings and surfing TGR, am I right?

Sent from my moto e6 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post
    20 hours of actual work, 30 hours of bullshit meetings and surfing TGR, am I right?
    Yeah, that's about accurate...

PSA: 2019 WA employees with new Babies

Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post
    This seems great if you work for an Amazon or Boeing or something as a cog in a very big wheel. I can't see this working AT ALL if you work for a fast paced small business especially in a management position.

Yes believe it or not there are lots of jobs and people that are highly important to their employer and taking 3 months off would put a large strain on said employer.
    Yup. Thats the rub. The job protection component mirrors FMLA. So if your company has less than 50 people and the employee hasn’t been employed 12 months and worked at least 1250 hours there is no requirement to keep that person employed (all 3 components must be met for job protection)

So small business have a decision to make on a case by case basis. The employee can take the leave but it’s up to the employer if they want to save the job and not replace them.

WA will see an increase in the contingent / part time workforce for sure.

Idaho just got indoor plumbing in the 90’s so you’re good for a while.

For the record at my last company I instituted a policy of mandatory 2 weeks paid leave for paternity/maternity leave for all employees. So I'm not just some heartless aynrandian.

20 hours of work? Fuck that.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Sorry I forgot about the boozy 2 hour "executive lunches".

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    For crying out loud, come on now.

This is my friend. I know her. I witnessed her on maternity leave. She had two kids (1995 & 1998) and was off work with her position in place for 5 years. After 5 years she stepped back into her job at the same level she'd been at before. I did not discuss her financial situation with her but suffice to say she was not lacking (yes, she was/is married). She hubs out of SLC. She was on leave to have and raise her children.

Fuck you. You really are insufferable.
    this all equates to a leave of absence not "maternity leave". Its 100% sure she did not get paid for 5 years and not work.

Call me lazy. By a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    Call me lazy. By a lot.
    Put my name down in that column, too.