Contour Hybrid Mix Skins(what skins do I want for my Backland 107)

I am trying to buy my first pair of skins for my backland 107s and was thinking about the contour hybrid mix.

Are they worth the hype? And what Size is best for a 107 waist 189 length.

https://www.snowcountry.eu/contour-h...RoCdNwQAvD_BwE

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I have a decent variety of skins....G3, Black Diamond, Contours Hybrids, Coltex.

I like Contours the most. The glue is money -- easy to pull apart, not gunking up, sticks when you need it. Nice balance between glide and grip.

They probably wont last as long as my BDs, and the don't glide as well as Coltex mohairs, but they are my favorite.

I am using the Contour Hybrid Mix 135mm skins. The glue is really nice - no sticking to the base plus you can glue the skins together and easily pull them apart. Bought them last season and have nothing to complain yet. Can’t speak for durability tho.

Sweet, is the size range(xxl 185-194) what I should go by and get an XXL? Or is that the actual length of the skin+the end pieces? What lengths did you get for what length skis? Thanks for the help

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Skin length

Quote Originally Posted by bowboybb View Post
    Sweet, is the size range(xxl 185-194) what I should go by and get an XXL? Or is that the actual length of the skin+the end pieces? What lengths did you get for what length skis? Thanks for the help
    Hi, lengths indicate the range of skis the skins will fit.
    Werner

Contour Hybrid Mix Skins(what skins do I want for my Backland 107)

Chipping in another endorsement. I like the contour hybrids a lot, too. Good grip, good glide. Easy to rip and so far no gunk. Used for 2 years.

I have G3 120mm Alpinist skins on my 189 cm Backland 107s. I maintain that you don't need edge to edge coverage the full length of a rockered ski. I end up tapering my skins in the rockered sections anyway to reduce drag when breaking trail. Never used Contours. I like the G3s for their tip attachment more than the skin material or the glue. And they were a screamin' deal on SaC when I got them.

I boiled my thermometer, and sure enough, this spot, which purported to be two thousand feet higher than the locality of the hotel, turned out to be nine thousand feet LOWER. Thus the fact was clearly demonstrated that, ABOVE A CERTAIN POINT, THE HIGHER A POINT SEEMS TO BE, THE LOWER IT ACTUALLY IS. Our ascent itself was a great achievement, but this contribution to science was an inconceivably greater matter.

--MT--

Another happy Contour owner for all the reasons stated above. I've never owned Pomoca to compare against, but I much prefer them to Alpinists and Ascensions.

Curious "fact" ... I found the grip to improve over the first 2-3 tours - quite the opposite from most skins whose break-in profile is for them to begin to glide better after a bit.

With the Contours, the glide was fine from the get go, and grip improved after maybe 10K vert.

Anyone else experience this? Maybe it was just me.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music