Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Plus, you can still steer a larger boat after losing a rudder if you have two motors.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

I was trying to say large outboard with additional kicker. You can get home or at least to protected water. When gas is $4.50 a gallon speed becomes secondary to affordable.

Quote Originally Posted by mattig View Post
    Single OB on an ocean boat? Not my cup of tea, but plenty of people do it and are still alive.
    Hence why I said I'd have a kicker (Not a 9.9, 15-30 hp) so I can always limp back if I lose my single OB.

Aluminum brands that look sick to me:
    Silver Streak
    Crozier Craft
    Armstrong marine
    Seawolf
    Lifetimer
    Coastal craft
    NW Aluminum
    Broadwater

Quote Originally Posted by natty dread View Post
    Silver Streak
    Crozier Craft
    Armstrong marine
    Seawolf
    Lifetimer
    Coastal craft
    NW Aluminum
    Broadwater
    ACI rides a lot better than Armstrong FWIW.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Marinette is my favorite.....love those classic lines.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5E1EB797-11E4-49FD-9235-406D0C609C29.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	536.7 KB 
ID:	295014

Silver Streak
    Crozier Craft
    Armstrong marine
    Seawolf
    Lifetimer
    Coastal craft
    NW Aluminum
    Broadwater
    My accountant has a sea wolf. Beautiful boat. Did not know you were a dentist. Might as well run twins.
    off your knees Louie

I have one of these, built like a tank.

http://www.pacificboats.com
    You Will Respect My Authoritah!

So, looking into Freedom Boat Club; $5,000 to join, followed by monthly dues of between ~$300-$400. So around 10k for the first year of membership. Doesnt look like they have cuddy cabin type boats though and I wouldnt be able to take a boat out to any of the local lakes nearby if I didn't feel like making the ~hour drive to the coast... Hmmmm

5 grand to join seems a little harsh, you might only want to do it for a couple years as a way to learn and see what you like, that's close to 14 grand for two years...I can see it both ways for sure. There's a lot of boats for sale for that money. If you do buy something keep maintenance, winterizing, storing, etc etc in mind, all that costs money.

Garage-able, trailerable, welded aluminum, front helm, open bow sled with a fuel injected 4-stroke and a kicker.

If bought for a decent price, it's hard to lose money on such a thing. After 2-3 years, I made money on mine.

Free storage. Negligible maintenance time/expense. Easy to throw around solo. Salty enough to fish the lower Columbia most days, but svelte enough to use as a gondola for panfish in no-motor lakes.

That's my 2 cents on a first boat. It got me on the water and able to meditate more deeply on what I wanted next for what one year of the boat rape club would cost, and then I got all the money back when I sold it. But maybe there's something I'm missing about the boat club...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

^^^^ reasonable, well thought out process.

UNallowed!

Buy the quad mounted blown out sum’bitches and post pics. Tits required

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    My accountant has a sea wolf. Beautiful boat. Did not know you were a dentist. Might as well run twins.
    Not a dentist (well kinda sorta, but I wear a blue collar instead of the white coat), but I dream big and never had kids so...

Pacific Boats look rad timeo.

Other crazy dreams alu boats:
    https://www.metalsharkboats.com/

Quote Originally Posted by mattig View Post
    Garage-able, trailerable, welded aluminum, front helm, open bow sled with a fuel injected 4-stroke and a kicker.

If bought for a decent price, it's hard to lose money on such a thing. After 2-3 years, I made money on mine.

Free storage. Negligible maintenance time/expense. Easy to throw around solo. Salty enough to fish the lower Columbia most days, but svelte enough to use as a gondola for panfish in no-motor lakes.

That's my 2 cents on a first boat. It got me on the water and able to meditate more deeply on what I wanted next for what one year of the boat rape club would cost, and then I got all the money back when I sold it. But maybe there's something I'm missing about the boat club...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    That's kinda my plan (grew up with a 17' Whaler but haven't owned a boat in almost 20 years), however I want to go a lil bigger and have a cuddy. Still have 4 years before I'll buy, so plenty of time to geek out.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    5 grand to join seems a little harsh, you might only want to do it for a couple years as a way to learn and see what you like, that's close to 14 grand for two years...I can see it both ways for sure. There's a lot of boats for sale for that money. If you do buy something keep maintenance, winterizing, storing, etc etc in mind, all that costs money.
    Lots of people don't want to own, do maintenance, etc. It makes sense to them, somehow. My friend owns Nantucket Boat Club. I think he gets $10,000 per summer season, limited uses. He sells out every summer. Different sort of clientele though.

I think Diamond Joe should look for some older Grady's in the area and start crunching the numbers.

Natty- I started out in a 13 Whaler with a 40 horse Yammi. Moved up to a 21 Mako with a 200 Yammi, Then onto a 34 Intrepid with twin Merc 250's. I think I am done going up in size, but who knows. Still own the Whaler. It is the kids' boat at the lake house in CT that I grew up on.

Spent part of the other day finishing the polishing on one side of the boat. Aquabuff 2000 is amazing stuff if anyone is looking to restore their gelcoat back to like new condition.

You can see the progress in this pic if you look at the top rail- that dull area is what it used to look like. You can also see the difference in the reflection of the dock off the hull, but that was tough to get a good picture of.

It honestly didn't look too bad until I started polishing it. Amazing difference. This is round one. After round 2 I am ceramic coating it with Glidecoat. Supposedly lasts 18 months, and you just periodically spruce it up with a top coat product. I will report back the results if anyone is interested.

If it lasts well in our sun down here, it should last years for you guys that only get to use your boats a few months out of the year.

Other crazy dreams alu boats:
    https://www.metalsharkboats.com/
    You can't not get one of these

I'd like to take this out for test fish in Nootka Sound
    https://www.kijiji.ca/v-powerboat-mo...ationFlag=true
    Name:  $_59.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  92.5 KB

I'm a big fan of Kingfisher boats. Sort of a nice midpoint from a full on working boat and a Crestliner.

Gonna toss the grady gulfstream up for sale. Let a tinkerer try to fix or repower.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

post a link when you do, I'd like to see it. I don't think I'm a buyer but who knows.

warthog post more on the clean up when around to it. Looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Kind of what I was thinking. I could drop 14k on my first boat, but that boat is then an asset that I could sell off in an emergency or conceivably turn around and sell for near what I paid in a year or two. Boat club, just hand over your 14 Gs and hope that you get out enough to make it worthwhile. Also, like I said, I have several large lakes within a 20-30 min drive and I'd like the option of a quick afternoon on the water to be open.

I've definitely factored in winterizing, maintenance/repairs and whatnot. I'm *somewhat* handy with a wrench/paint brush etc so some easier stuff I could def do myself.

Quote Originally Posted by VTeton View Post
    Gonna toss the grady gulfstream up for sale. Let a tinkerer try to fix or repower.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Just so happens I'm in the market! Post up some pics. Or PM

I would never count on being able to resell quickly for what you have into it. It is almost winter i would make some low ball offers.