Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 2nd mate View Post
    The majority of small boats that have cabins just end up collecting your stuff and never get used.
    Not even for fucking.

speak for yourself

edit: which is to say, don't crush my dreams, man

One other item to note I always found boat sex more exciting when it was out on deck as opposed to a small cabin or V-berth.
    Last edited by 2nd mate; 09-30-2019 at 06:47 PM. Reason: boat sex
    A woman reported to police at 6:30 p.m. that she was being "smart-mouthed."

Re: sterndrive, maintenance aside, there's something to be said for never having to worry about a gigantic hole in your boat that sits under the waterline. They'll be happy to tell you all about it on tht all day long.

Lots of people do it and never have an issue. Most even. But compared to an outboard boat with no through-hull fittings, the likelihood of sinking your boat due to a leak is orders of magnitude higher with the I/O.

In general, the safety concern is way overblown on the internet, but still worth considering if you haven't already.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

@DJ: They work fine. Nobody wants them, but as long as you get that discount on the front end you're good.

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    If you need me to take a look at anything and snap some photos, no problem. This is about 45 min. from me, but I am down there almost weekly for work.
    Thanks man I appreciate that
    Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    DJ- these are pretty sweet option to add seating to a rear deck:
    https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-...ng-deck-chair-
    Damn, those are sweet. Got some excellent open deck seating options thanks to you guys
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    @DJ: They work fine. Nobody wants them, but as long as you get that discount on the front end you're good.
    Wait, what? I forget what I asked what works fine? discount on the front end???

Part of the reason I like the I/O is the aesthetics, I'll admit it. I just like the way the boat looks without a big motor hanging off the back of it. I/O looks sleeker. faster... I like having the swim platform on the back instead of a transom and motor too. My buddy has had a 27' Larson for years and loves it and has not had any problems with it, and its in a slip in RI, sitting in salt water 24/7. I would most likely be trailering whatever I buy (at least initially), and it would be getting at least 50% (or more) of its use on lakes and not in the ocean. So I know you guys hate them, and I really appreciate all the advice including the advice to stay away from them, but I don't think I can rule them out. My eyes have definitely been opened to the world of outboards though, and I do like those mid- 90s Makos a LOT. So.... we'll see

Am I right in thinking that I/O's fare a lot worse in the salt? I grew up driving 24' I/O's on a lake and they were generally really reliable. Certainly no leaks.

If you're gonna be running in mostly lakes an I/O is probably fine. But I'd buy one that has only seen fresh water.

biggest danger of inboard gas is explosion. always vent well before starting. your guests will be sitting on top of the engine.i do not know how loud it is but something you should take note of. Also you need special tools to work on the outdrive. Unless you enjoy working on things and are somewhat mechanical repairs can be difficult. If you are not make sure your local shop is. But yes they work are reliable and if you like the boat and is cheap enough would not be a deal breaker on first boat.
    looks like a Hinckley
    https://www.instagram.com/p/B3A86TmI...mpaign=loading
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    and I do like those mid- 90s Makos a LOT. So.... we'll see
    You want mid 80's -'92 Mako with the gas tank already replaced, preferably by a pro. That is a boat that will hold it's value, and it's value will be lowish, depending on the power on the back. Join THT, and look up RAYBO Marine in Long Island. Raybo will steer you right.

Good luck- see you guys in 2.5 weeks. Don't go buying a boat while I'm gone.

FYI- Hull only- slap a nice used 300 on there, or twin 150's
    https://www.boattrader.com/listing/1...andard+listing
    She needs a lot of work, but I bet you could offer $4500 and get it to MA for about $6,000. Hell of a project boat. Absolute beast in seas, killer setup on a big lake. I put a wakeboard tower on my old one- this thing would throw a mean wake.

Here is one done up pretty nice, and close to you. I wouldn't trust those old Evinrudes unless you have a good Evinrude guy nearby. See what the engines are worth, and get with Ice's guy and swap out for some used Yammi 150's or a single 300. Also, those roller trailers are not so good for Mako's. You want a bunk style to avoid pressure points and hull damage- something to look at before buying.
    https://www.boattrader.com/listing/1...dard%20listing

Quote Originally Posted by mattig View Post
    Re: sterndrive, maintenance aside, there's something to be said for never having to worry about a gigantic hole in your boat that sits under the waterline. They'll be happy to tell you all about it on tht all day long.

Lots of people do it and never have an issue. Most even. But compared to an outboard boat with no through-hull fittings, the likelihood of sinking your boat due to a leak is orders of magnitude higher with the I/O.

In general, the safety concern is way overblown on the internet, but still worth considering if you haven't already.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    I thought that was the easiest way to fix a problematic I/O, sink it and collect insurance.

I think he likes stern drives as they are cheaper in the used marketplace, not neccessary because he prefers them.

A 2015 300 outboard would sell for 12k on it's own. Outboards are easier and better in skinny water but as long as the out drive is serviced properly, he shouldn't sink.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    This is what you really want but you can't afford...don't worry neither can most
    https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/bo...971628061.html
    Does it come w the yellow shorts? It's been for sale since the spring. Clearly no hurry there.

Here is the boat for you assuming the engine checks out. Couple questions to ask. Fuel tanks been replaced? Does transom bracket leak? I'd have someone double check engine compression etc. Who are these morons running 60 hours over 11 years? Why buy the boat. I've got 60 hours in aug/sept alone.

Offer 22k if it checks out maybe pay 25k. Ice, up your alley too.

https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/bo...977117713.html

So, a lot of the recommendations you are getting are great for the ocean...

Since this is your first boat, and as you point out you'll want to use it largely in lakes and be able to trailer it:

Pick up a 19-23 ft bowrider for under $12k. No need to worry about an I/O, make sure it's in good working order and enjoy. Use it for a couple of years, stay out of the ocean with it and figure out what you really want to be doing with a boat.

Once you have some time in a boat and know if you'll really use it then upgrade and yeah, if you are all about the "Salt Life" then follow the recs that have been posted on here and get a big salt water outboard.

(again lake boats) Just remember my buddy that new a lot said to stay away from plywood and inboard-outboard, stern-drive, etc. at all costs. He said a lotta times the trim/tilt gets stuck in a particular position and it's expensive as shit to fix that too. both of which were why he liked searay outboards.
    "Can't you see..."

This is a great time to be buying. Look at boats that are still in the water, that you can drive. Drive a bunch and see what you like.
    What will you be doing on the boat?

Quote Originally Posted by oldblue View Post
    So, a lot of the recommendations you are getting are great for the ocean...

Since this is your first boat, and as you point out you'll want to use it largely in lakes and be able to trailer it:

Pick up a 19-23 ft bowrider for under $12k. No need to worry about an I/O, make sure it's in good working order and enjoy. Use it for a couple of years, stay out of the ocean with it and figure out what you really want to be doing with a boat.

And consider a Sea Tow type subscription......

Are outboard motors the new disposable razor blades?

In our defense, he did say he wanted to make trips from Woods Hole to the Vineyard. That can get really gnar.

Quote Originally Posted by VTeton View Post
    Here is the boat for you assuming the engine checks out. Couple questions to ask. Fuel tanks been replaced? Does transom bracket leak? I'd have someone double check engine compression etc. Who are these morons running 60 hours over 11 years? Why buy the boat. I've got 60 hours in aug/sept alone.

Offer 22k if it checks out maybe pay 25k. Ice, up your alley too.

https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/bo...977117713.html

no doubt that is a nice boat. When you are launching people will look at it and think that is a nice looking boat.
    Appears that boat does not come with a trailer. So maybe another $10000 for a trailer. The boat weighs around 6000lbs so is your Tacoma going to tow it?
    No telling why the morons only put on 60 hrs. Maybe the owner found out they get sea sick. Maybe they got the shit scared out of them in some rough seas. Maybe they could not afford to run it or had to work to make payments.
    Everyone has given good advice. Especially the advice on what to look for as far as rot and general wear. My advice is you are buying a toy. I would be realistic on how you plan to use it and what you can afford. A lot of boats never leave the marina. easy to get caught up in boat envy.
    this was my first boat https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198...ridge-3541080/
    Knowing what I know now that 350 with carburetor scares the shit out of me. If any PWS, PNW mags are looking for a boat I think that could be a fair deal. Replace the 350 with a new 4cyl. volvo diesel and you have a really nice trailerable family camping rig.
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    maybe another $10000 for a trailer..
    Umm where you buying trailers? I will sell you a trailer for $9,000.

Glad you survived the Bayliner.

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    Umm where you buying trailers? I will sell you a trailer for $9,000.

Glad you survived the Bayliner.
    I went with a maybe. Did quick search didnt see prices. But looks like you can get one between 4 to 6 so maybe not a deal breaker. If you want to bring a new triple axel to cordova ak for $9,000 it will sell. Have fun in europe.

Good times

facebook.com/watch
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

btw the Qualified Captain insta feed is pretty good if you are interested in marine carnage and stupidity

For Ice & Diamond Joe
    1997 Grady White Gulfstream 232 with a Honda 225 Outboard

The Grady White 232 Gulfstream is probably the most proven walk around ever sold. This boat features a 2008 Honda 4 Stroke with about 850 Hours. Newer VHF with DSC, radio and 2016 Garmin 9" Chirp GPS/Fish finder. Boat has plumbed head with holding tank. Sink/Wash down. Bimini Top. Fuel tank replaced around 2010. Cosmetically she will need some TLC. But overall a wonderful value and a steal for someone who does not mind doing a bit of work.

The Honda is currently throwing an alarm and mechanic tried flushing out with muriatic acid with no success. motor runs great at lower speeds. It might be a sensor as overheat light never comes on. I would assume it needs some significant love or replace it with a new engine, I'd recommend a new 300 if you plan on running it fully loaded as its the biggest 23 ft boat I have ever seen.

Asking $17,500. Boat can be seen in the water for the next week or so. We bought a new boat in August.

[Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3872.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	297377