Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    This is what you really want but you can't afford...don't worry neither can most
    https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/bo...971628061.html

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    This is what you really want but you can't afford...don't worry neither can most
    https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/bo...971628061.html
    that thing is just pimp. The woodwork is unreal. I don't often have to take 10 of my friends on a cocktail cruise around the harbor, but when I do, I want that boat.

Would be a better boat with a cummins. As for the inboard bravo 3. I do not know about the hull but looks like a lake boat to me. Someone already pointed out problems with outdrives. I had one lots of maintenance. Water in unit , u joints, bellows cracked always seem like something to fix. Inboard gas has safety issues should be taken seriously. I would stick with a quality hull and outboard.

I thought Hinckley just made sailboats. That thing is sweet. A bargain if I had the $.
    Uno mas

Hinckley makes beautiful power boats too. In the ad foggy linked, the boat behind the guy is also a Hinckly, Picnic Boats they call those. They are just too fucking nice. I'm pretty sure the one past that is a Hinckley too but it's pretty far away.

Looks like a fancy lobster rig
    Uno mas

Exactly . They're based on them and it's kind of a nod to their Maine heritage etc.

Boat I was asking about was a Larson Hampton 235, also looking at a Sea Ray 200 Overnighter, which I'm thinking might be a good choice for a first boat.

Ice, both boats have new(er) engines. The Larson was repowered in 2015, the SeaRay last year. I just learned about Marine Surveyors, so I'll look into that. The SeaRay is so cheap that I might not have the opportunity though... Foggy, thanks for those suggestions but none of those have the seating I'm looking for on the deck. In fact, none of those boats had ANY seating other than captain and mate chairs. They all had the open deck/fishing style deck that I don't want.

Truth be told, I will probably be taking my boat out on lakes more than the ocean. I have several big lakes within a 20 minute drive, while the closest ocean boat ramp is an hour away. If I'm being honest with myself, it WILL be used more on lakes than in salt water, which I have only just finally admitted, but I would like to be able to take it out in the Atlantic sometimes too.

DJ when you look at boats with an open rear deck think about bean bag chairs. They make some really nice ones for boat use, they last a long time and they're not expensive. You can move them around, add or subtract them. They're not like the old ones you're thinking of, this is just one style:

They're more comfortable than the seating on most boats and they may open some options for you. Plus you can just take them out if some day you want to take some guys fishing.

Hmmm that is excellent advice I was not aware of those.

I thought the only option on an open deck was, like, folding chairs. which are obviously not that comfortable. Thanks mang! Putting open deck boats back on my list so where would you look for options for boating bean bag chairs?

but I would like to be able to take it out in the Atlantic sometimes.
    That is just not the same thing as passages out to Block and the Vineyard. Get a lakeboat and take it in the salt as conditions allow. So, people don't really sit next to the engine when you are underway. If you give up the cuddy cabin, you can get forward seating. In Florida, they call it a bay boat. Any who, I hope it goes well for you. My only advice is that you need to like owning a boat in addition to liking boating. I like working on boats, always have. If you can't imaging a Saturday working on the boat, don't buy a boat.

I mean here's one company, they have a good reputation: https://e-searider.com there's a bunch more. I can't really vouch too much for any particular brand, I just don't know enough, but I have heard good things about e-sea rider (among others).

Think about reading/joining this forum: https://www.thehulltruth.com/northeast-33/ It's part of thehulltruth.com, which is a big forum but that part is focused on the nNortheast. There's a busy boats for sale forum on thehulltruth also. The people are crabby fucks but there's good info too.

I am going radio silent until the 17th of Oct. On our way to Yurp on Tues.

Only thing I can say is don't be in a rush. That is a sure way to end up with a money pit. Research the boats that fit your needs, and wait for the right fit. You went this long without a boat, and Winter is coming.

As far as surveyors go, on boats this low priced, most people don't bother. That said, I did it on a 20 Mako I was looking at. $400 bill, and the best money I ever spent. He showed me exactly why I didn't want that boat, and I learned everything to look for. If you don't want to go that way, research the common issue with the make of boat you are leaning towards. Get a sea trial, crawl around the boat- look in every hatch, bring a small hammer or non metallic type hammer and tap the stringers and transom. Knock on the transom at different heights- it will sound hollow at the bottom of the transom if there is water damage. Lots of people add transducers and stuff without properly sealing them.

If you forego the surveyor and do the research and feel the boat won't sink or blow up, at least have a mechanic test compression on the engine. Also, look for boats with easily accessed gas tanks. Changing out a 30 or 40 year old marine gas tank is a big enough PITA without also having to cut the floor to do so.

Foggy- There is a guy you might know from T-ville (Ryan F- older brother is Matt) that is based in Nantucket these days. He has that exact Hinckley. Dude is building spec homes out on Nantucket with some land he bought off my sister's friend in the 'Bury. Owns a couple businesses out there too. Just killing it with the stupid $$ out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If you can't imaging (MOST) Saturday(s) working on the boat, don't buy a boat.
    FIFY

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    The people are crabby fucks but there's good info too.
    Understatement of the year. It is like if Hugh started a boating forum. Hmmm. Maybe that's where he went?

Thanks fellas

I'm definitely looking forward to having a boat to work on on off days!

Have considered a bowrider but considering that most trips will be just my wife and I, I like having a head and a place to get out of the sun. and a place to fuck.

We refer to that as the stabbin' cabin. You will need to learn these terms to get your boating cert.

It's the implication.

https://youtu.be/-yUafzOXHPE

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    ...so where would you look for options for boating bean bag chairs?
    I should have added, West Marine. A lot of people hate on that company but other than price (they're not the cheapest, for sure) I don't really get it. They're kind of like marine superstores, they have a lot of shit in those stores including at least a few bean bag chairs usually. Some of the stores are older and smaller but the new ones are big and pretty nice. Plus they have a decent online store. https://www.westmarine.com

Just go here for any of your repair and accessory needs.
    https://www.marine-surplus.com
    This is hands down the best place around here. They get all the surplus from the boat manufacturers down here, like Chris Craft.

If you need me to take a look at anything and snap some photos, no problem. This is about 45 min. from me, but I am down there almost weekly for work.

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    Just go here for any of your repair and accessory needs.
    https://www.marine-surplus.com
    This is hands down the best place around here. They get all the surplus from the boat manufacturers down here, like Chris Craft.

If you need me to take a look at anything and snap some photos, no problem. This is about 45 min. from me, but I am down there almost weekly for work.
    I don't know if the new Christ Craft are great boats, but they sure are pretty to look at. Like those Hinckleys...floating works of art.

Speaking of pretty boats, what's up with the Scandinavians? They're putting out some really nice looking boats (Nimbus, Windy, and (my favorite) Cormate T27 come to mind).
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Are outboard motors the new disposable razor blades?

DJ- these are pretty sweet option to add seating to a rear deck:
    https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-...8aAra3EALw_wcB

I had an older larson for about 12 years, solid boat with an EVENRUDE 115 no problems pretty much ever.

Have always heard good things about searays as well. expereince with these is limite to fresh water lakes. YMMV.
    "Can't you see..."

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    Ok so the Mako got sold need the collectives advice on this boat: Seller dropped the asking price from 15k to 12 today
    Attachment 295745
    Repowered in 2015 at 1500 hours with New Mercruiser 383 Stroker w/EFI($11,000 installed). New transom assembly and lower unit on Bravo 3 in 2018($6,000 installed). Custom 40" swim platform added in 2016($1,600 installed). Has full covers with good plastics and bimini. Had new moring cover made in 2014. Weekend Cabin sleeps 2 adults and 5 gal pump out head. Load Rite trailer. Calls only 617 xxx xxxx(leave message) Beautiful, fast, small boat.

What questions should I be asking here? What should I be looking out for?
    I won't leave the stern drive thing alone( yes I am THT like Iceman). Please don't do it. Maintenance on these is a nightmare and finding a good mechanic is like scoring a pow day at Black Mountain MA. Repair costs can get crazy $$$ fast. The resale value of this type of boat is not good. There is a small market and most boaters steer clear of an I/O when looking to buy. For this kinds of money a 20ft grady with and outboard would be better, that is if you really plan on using the cabin. The majority of small boats that have cabins just end up collecting your stuff and never get used.

It's worth getting a survey before you buy.
    A woman reported to police at 6:30 p.m. that she was being "smart-mouthed."

Just don't do the stern dive. Don't do it.