Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    You can't not get one of these

Right?! Ha

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    Just so happens I'm in the market! Post up some pics. Or PM
    If you do it, my guy is pretty awesome, he's a Yamaha certified master mechanic, runs his own shop with super low overhead (you'll believe that if you ever see the place, it's on a farm in Westport) and usually has a couple used engines for sale. Yamaha only though.

Yamahas rule

Odd situation but after I sell the Grady White, I need another boat to replace it so to speak. Basically I need something this is a close to zero maintenance, as cheap as possible and small. Thinking 13'-18' Whaler. I may not put the boat in the water. just need it registered. debating between a total junker under 1K or something that could hold its value while being cheap and usable for friends but under 10K. the 13-17 whalers have external gas tanks and likely no concerns, the 18' is a but more work but could actually be run in the ocean. Any suggestions?

Are outboard motors the new disposable razor blades?

Cir late 80s 18’ Whaler Outrage might be able to be found for around $10k. Sweet boats. Big difference between the 17’ and 18’ hulls, the 18s tend to be much wider and handle a lot more power.

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    I would never count on being able to resell quickly for what you have into it. It is almost winter i would make some low ball offers.
    Just gotta be patient and keep an eye out for someone dropping a boat on CL that's obviously a few k under market. Happens all the time with aluminum boats and 4 stroke outboards. I'm sure it happens with glass boats too, but that's not where my personal experience is.

That said, I'd agree that one should never count on such things.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    Cir late 80s 18’ Whaler Outrage might be able to be found for around $10k. Sweet boats. Big difference between the 17’ and 18’ hulls, the 18s tend to be much wider and handle a lot more power.

What you you prefer, late 80s early 90s 18ft Outrage or the newer 1996 19' outrage? I guess resale is better on the older boats than the ner 19 design....

https://boston.craigslist.org/sob/bo...985155573.html

https://boston.craigslist.org/nos/bo...984007883.html

Are outboard motors the new disposable razor blades?

Personally I prefer the older ones but that’s likely because I like the vintage thing, that’s when they were still made around here, and that’s what most of my friends and fam always used so it’s nostalgic. Those vintages seem to hold their value. The hulls are super durable with minimal maintenance. Fantastic beach boats.

But I think the ‘95 is more capable offshore and has generally better/ more modern performance at the expense of drawing a little more water.

Get a good deal on either and I can’t see how you’re doing it wrong

Older 21' Mako but allegedly everything works and motor runs great.. cheap enough that I could repower it if it doesnt... Transom kinda scares me though, its so low! any kind of following wave would swamp you I would imagine..
    Name:  mako.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  48.7 KB
    https://boston.craigslist.org/nos/bo...982057577.html

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    If you do it, my guy is pretty awesome, he's a Yamaha certified master mechanic, runs his own shop with super low overhead (you'll believe that if you ever see the place, it's on a farm in Westport) and usually has a couple used engines for sale. Yamaha only though.
    Thanks Icemang I will definitely keep that in mind. What does knowing you get me? Free reach around with every boning?

Well, not free, but he does have low overhead.

VTeton,

I have always loved the ride on the old 18 outrage, just not the layout for more than 2-3 people. If I were buying a boat for just me +1, I would not hesitate with one of these. I am on CL Boston/Cape just about every day creeping around and they come up fairly regularly. I am planning on a small boat for the kids in 2-3 seasons once the big brother is legal. Scanning for a 13,,15 or Montauk I can pick up for about 5k. For a family of 4 you can find all sorts of cc boats that are easy on the trailer, less then 10k(way less in some cases) and can get outside the islands on a fair day. I was able to be very patient when I bought a 22cc a few years ago, I checked out 15-20 before I found the right one. For what you are looking to spend you could easily find a great condition Montauk with a minty motor. Perfect for where I live on the northshore. Easy to unload if it didn't work out for you at little or no loss financially.
    A woman reported to police at 6:30 p.m. that she was being "smart-mouthed."

Older 21' Mako but allegedly everything works and motor runs great.. cheap enough that I could repower it if it doesnt... Transom kinda scares me though, its so low! any kind of following wave would swamp you I would imagine..
    Name:  mako.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  48.7 KB
    https://boston.craigslist.org/nos/bo...982057577.html
    Those old cut transoms were designed that way to drain the water quickly. It works, but most people are used to euro transoms that keep your feet dry, but lose you space. It is a trade off. They usually come with a flip up water blocker that fills the space, but takes up walking room. Most of the Mako guys I know redo those transoms and add scuppers. It is doable on your own, but requires a bit of knowledge. They usually use Nidacore. There were tons of tutorials on Classicmako.com, but I just heard they were hacked and held for ransom, so nothing there for now.

That is a pretty good price. Consider the engine is probably junk though, it is underpowered. 200 -250 will move that boat right- it has a 20 degree dead rise hull- requires a bit more to plane and cut through the waves.
    If you check it out:
    1993 was a weird year for Mako- Their facility was wiped out in Hurricane Andrew, and they went public to fund their builds in another facility. I know very little about that year, but it is pretty well known in the Mako community to only look at 1992 or older boats. That may just be the old school guys talking, but later years, like 1995 and on the quality dove when Tracker took them over.
    Look closely at the wiring. some of them are a total mess. You will know. If everything is clean lines and labeled, it was redone. Rats nest, run.
    Also, trim the motor up and hang off the engine and bounce a bit- if the transom flexes more than a little deflection, it is wet.
    If you see small/medium cracks where the transom meets the hull, don't worry too much. If those cracks get much larger when you hang on the engine, worry.
    Also tap the stringers where they meet the ransom. If they sound like hollow wood, they are. They should sound solid throughout. Not a deal breaker, but a lot more transom and glass work.
    Last edited by warthog; 09-26-2019 at 05:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by VTeton View Post
    Odd situation but after I sell the Grady White, I need another boat to replace it so to speak. Basically I need something this is a close to zero maintenance, as cheap as possible and small. Thinking 13'-18' Whaler. I may not put the boat in the water. just need it registered. debating between a total junker under 1K or something that could hold its value while being cheap and usable for friends but under 10K. the 13-17 whalers have external gas tanks and likely no concerns, the 18' is a but more work but could actually be run in the ocean. Any suggestions?
    Old 13 Whalers with newish engines go for about $3500 and up. Nice solid boats that are indestructible, but they hold their value really well.

Last one, promise-

ICE- I spoke to my friend. 2870WA Pursuit. Brand new 2015 Yamaha 250's with 3-4 years left on warranty. He has barely run them, like less than 100 hours I think, so he is looking to see if Yamaha will restore warranty back to original, but he is 50/50 on whether they will play ball. He needs to put about 50 hours back into it to wire up the console. All the wiring is done, he just hasn't reattached everything. Trailer, Full cover, Hard Top, tons of rod holders, etc.
    He is probably looking in the $90,000 range once the work is finished, which might be a little high, but new engines. I am sure some negotiating could be done on my boat. He really likes bourbon. Negotiate after bourbon for best results.

Not his, but same idea-

Well, not free, but he does have low overhead.
    almost spit beer onto my computer

@ warthog: Thanks man. Those look pretty sweet, and from a quick look through listings he's probably not too far off on the price. Sounds like he's not chomping at the bit, which is good for me, my issue is that the freaks who resurfaced a year after the listing expired saying they want to make an offer on our house have vanished again. Don't know what's going on with that, it seemed like a solid thing a few weeks ago and now nothing. So I'm not ready to jump as quick as I thought.

Hopefully they're just getting their financing together but I have no clue. It would be weird if they vanish, they went to all this effort to track us down and get our phone numbers and leave messages and then they talked to my wife twice, but who knows. I keep thinking they'll call any minute but maybe they never will. If they don't we're gonna re-list the house in January and I gotta wait until that resolves itself.

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    Those old cut transoms were designed that way to drain the water quickly. It works, but most people are used to euro transoms that keep your feet dry, but lose you space. It is a trade off. They usually come with a flip up water blocker that fills the space, but takes up walking room. Most of the Mako guys I know redo those transoms and add scuppers. It is doable on your own, but requires a bit of knowledge. They usually use Nidacore. There were tons of tutorials on Classicmako.com, but I just heard they were hacked and held for ransom, so nothing there for now.

That is a pretty good price. Consider the engine is probably junk though, it is underpowered. 200 -250 will move that boat right- it has a 20 degree dead rise hull- requires a bit more to plane and cut through the waves.
    If you check it out:
    1993 was a weird year for Mako- Their facility was wiped out in Hurricane Andrew, and they went public to fund their builds in another facility. I know very little about that year, but it is pretty well known in the Mako community to only look at 1992 or older boats. That may just be the old school guys talking, but later years, like 1995 and on the quality dove when Tracker took them over.
    Look closely at the wiring. some of them are a total mess. You will know. If everything is clean lines and labeled, it was redone. Rats nest, run.
    Also, trim the motor up and hang off the engine and bounce a bit- if the transom flexes more than a little deflection, it is wet.
    If you see small/medium cracks where the transom meets the hull, don't worry too much. If those cracks get much larger when you hang on the engine, worry.
    Also tap the stringers where they meet the ransom. If they sound like hollow wood, they are. They should sound solid throughout. Not a deal breaker, but a lot more transom and glass work.
    This is why I love this place. Fucking SKI FORUM I'm getting solid boat buying advice

Thanks mang

This is why I love this place. Fucking SKI FORUM I'm getting solid boat buying advice

Thanks mang
    Well, the skiing here in St Pete is not so good, and I LOVE boats. My last one was a 21 Mako, and I researched them for about 4 or 5 years before I pulled the trigger on one. Loved that boat, it was just too small for my family, and my wife got sick of what she called "Sanford and Sons" every time we went out to the islands and beaches with all our shit.

So, I know Makos inside and out, and can steer you on that make for sure.

Oh, and that boat will crush it going out to MV and Block. Especially the WA with the extra weight up front. If you get caught in seas, it will handle it. I have had mine in 4-5 ft seas. It is NOT very comfortable, but you will get home.

Hope I can help.

@ warthog: Thanks man. Those look pretty sweet, and from a quick look through listings he's probably not too far off on the price. Sounds like he's not chomping at the bit, which is good for me, my issue is that the freaks who resurfaced a year after the listing expired saying they want to make an offer on our house have vanished again. Don't know what's going on with that, it seemed like a solid thing a few weeks ago and now nothing. So I'm not ready to jump as quick as I thought.

Hopefully they're just getting their financing together but I have no clue. It would be weird if they vanish, they went to all this effort to track us down and get our phone numbers and leave messages and then they talked to my wife twice, but who knows. I keep thinking they'll call any minute but maybe they never will. If they don't we're gonna re-list the house in January and I gotta wait until that resolves itself.
    I explained your situation, and kinda covered how I "know" you. He is in no rush. Doesn't even have it listed. He set it up as his ultimate dive boat, and then stopped diving. Next time I am over at his lot I will try to snap some photos. If you don't make a move for 2 years, I bet he'll still have it.

Ok so the Mako got sold need the collectives advice on this boat: Seller dropped the asking price from 15k to 12 today
    Name:  larsonhampton.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  26.0 KB
    Repowered in 2015 at 1500 hours with New Mercruiser 383 Stroker w/EFI($11,000 installed). New transom assembly and lower unit on Bravo 3 in 2018($6,000 installed). Custom 40" swim platform added in 2016($1,600 installed). Has full covers with good plastics and bimini. Had new moring cover made in 2014. Weekend Cabin sleeps 2 adults and 5 gal pump out head. Load Rite trailer. Calls only 617 xxx xxxx(leave message) Beautiful, fast, small boat.

What questions should I be asking here? What should I be looking out for?

It looks like a pretty cool boat, what make/model is it?

You seem to like the stern drives, so I'll leave that alone, but you'll want to know how many hours are on the engine, and you'll want to check it over mechanically (or get it checked out by somebody). There are peoplewho make their livings assessing the condition of boats, they're called Marine Surveyors, not sure what they charge but it's probably worth it, you don't want to walk into a money pit situation like hidden rot or something like that.

Why's he selling it?
    Can we go for a ride?
    Can I get my surveyor on it?

I'm sure there's stuff I'm not thinking of right now.

edit: spelun
    Last edited by iceman; 09-29-2019 at 05:50 PM.

DJ, others have you covered on makes, models, specifics. I've been around boats most of my life and spent decades out on the Sound, around southern New England and up and down the east coast. I'll tell you this...coastal boating is no joke. If you are honestly only gonna go out on the calm days and stay in the bays, something like a Larson is OK. Don't underestimate a sea worthy hull. There is just a huge difference. I can't remember where you live (what port/boat ramp) but generally I'd say look for the best cuddy/outboard boat you can afford.

Bravo 3 drive is the shit, had one on a boat once, great take off to plane quick. Suffers a bit top end.

All I got