Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Are outboard motors the new disposable razor blades?

Went for a lunch time walk along South Lake Union where all the yacht brokers are and noticed this escalation of engine numbers. All at the same broker on similar sized boats. WTF could you possibly need four 330 engines for? I mean I guess if you are Iranian navy or Somali pirates and you want something ultra fast to ambush tankers.

Two engines are awesome!
    Name:  2motors.jpg
Views: 1332
Size:  145.4 KB

No, that boat sucks! You need three engines to do anything fun
    Name:  3motors.jpg
Views: 1288
Size:  156.9 KB

Fuck that! I've got FOUR OUTBOARD ENGINES! You need to buy me right now!
    Name:  4motors.jpg
Views: 1250
Size:  216.6 KB
    "Great barbecue makes you want to slap your granny up the side of her head." - Southern Saying

^^^ all the rage last few years. Lake of Ozarks, for years it was multi V8's under deck, blown 502's crazy stuff, long cigarette go fast. Last few years all the rich guys are getting the center console multi outboard motors.

Just a new shiny toy, my buddy is making a fortune selling them back in MO. When a bigger one comes out with larger motors or more of them, he just has to place a few calls to Chicago and St Louis and pretty much those guys knock down the door to have the better boat to show off. They need something to hold their big belly, gold chains and strippers for party cove.

You need several because on any given day only half of them will work..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Is this like the LED light bar phenomenon of the marine world?

4 350s is old news. Gotta run 4 627s!!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

It's pretty crazy considering a Yamaha 350 goes for about $35K.

But the cool kids are sporting 7 Marine 627's, they go about $90K each. 627 HP each, yikes.

I just saw a thread on THT where the guy was asking what center consoles he should be looking at in the $300K-$350K range. His main use? "Sundays with the wife partying at the beach".

shrug.

edit: beaten to the punch on the 7 Marines ^^

Those 7 Marine 627’s are badass. Got to hear one run out of the water while in Florida in July. I’ll admit, it gave me a woody.

Was out a couple weeks ago and a guy had this fountain. Quad 400s, can hit 92mph. He had a massive TRUMP 2020 "No More Bullshit" flag.

https://youtu.be/LAPmY8kleJg

Yeah but the center console guys are still looking up at the Sportfishers than the real rich guys own. I like Jarrett Bay

TGR won't let me embed the picture of the drugboat running 8 250's on the back.

Used prices on express and sportfishers are dropping. Buddy just unloaded a sweet 36' Albemarle for a new 30' grady white freedom.

Young family will get more use out of the Grady. We have a lot of skinny water so I enjoy a 15" draft and outboards.

This gus plans to break 50 knots on his 90' when he gets bigger engines. He sits on a nearby dock a lot in the summer.

https://www.jarrettbay.com/carolina-...achts/hull-62/

I was in Bali 2 years ago and I only seen 1 inboard, everything had as many engines as would fit across the stern on the " fastboats " as they called them used for water taxis
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

When you see a guy take 3K gallons of diesel at the dock you know what kind of game they are playing. But yeah, ain't really a runabout. Prolly just go Yellowfin 24 for those duties.

Quote Originally Posted by LegoSkier View Post
    Went for a lunch time walk along South Lake Union
    For the local Bollywood crowd?

There are a lot of young Indian guys running around in bad taste super cars or pimped Wranglers...

They probably aren't wearing socks either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by hawkgt View Post
    ^^^ ... They need something to hold their big belly, gold chains and strippers for party cove.
    Tell me more about this party cove you speak of...

Can you imagine the massive smokescreen if you were running quad Evinrudes?
    I still call it The Jake.

Not a fan of Jimmy Buffet's music but he likes really nice boats and he owns a bunch. This newest one is a Freeman 42 (catamaran) hull, finished with a custom-designed pilot house by Merritt. Kind of the best combo you could have if you wanted exactly this, which nobody else did until now. It's badass to me I must admit. I'd take the tower off.

In this case the multiple engines are kinda called for if you wanted outboard power, it's a heavy big thing and you don't want to be late for something if you're Jimmy Buffet I guess.

https://www.offthehookyachts.com/blo...jimmy-buffett/

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Not a fan of Jimmy Buffet's music but he likes really nice boats and he owns a bunch. This newest one is a Freeman 42 (catamaran) hull, finished with a custom-designed pilot house by Merritt. Kind of the best combo you could have if you wanted exactly this, which nobody else did until now. It's badass to me I must admit. I'd take the tower off.

In this case the multiple engines are kinda called for if you wanted outboard power, it's a heavy big thing and you don't want to be late for something if you're Jimmy Buffet I guess.

https://www.offthehookyachts.com/blo...jimmy-buffett/
    I'm amazed that Merritt agreed to that project. Most custom builders will try to do whatever their customers ask for, but not Merritt. Roy Merritt's just as likely to respond to your special request with "I don't think I want to do that."

^^^ all the rage last few years. Lake of Ozarks, for years it was multi V8's under deck, blown 502's crazy stuff, long cigarette go fast. Last few years all the rich guys are getting the center console multi outboard motors.

Just a new shiny toy, my buddy is making a fortune selling them back in MO. When a bigger one comes out with larger motors or more of them, he just has to place a few calls to Chicago and St Louis and pretty much those guys knock down the door to have the better boat to show off. They need something to hold their big belly, gold chains and strippers for party cove.
    Ok I need to know more about this party cove thing-

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    No Roger, No Rerun, No Rent

Quote Originally Posted by The Suit View Post
    I'm amazed that Merritt agreed to that project. Most custom builders will try to do whatever their customers ask for, but not Merritt. Roy Merritt's just as likely to respond to your special request with "I don't think I want to do that."
    Maybe ol' Roy's a parrothead?

Freeman wont build a pilot house for anyone but Buffet.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Maybe ol' Roy's a parrothead?
    Probably. He's picky about customers, too. He was all about building a boat for Alan Jackson, but he wouldn't build one for the Fendi (fashion) guy.

I’ll buy a couple of those low hour 300s. When they upgrade to 425s
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

^^^ They need something to hold their big belly, gold chains and strippers for party cove.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	party cove.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	886.8 KB 
ID:	294646

Redneck Riviera for sure. Lots of giant offshore boats on display on a midwest lake every weekend in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by bluespark View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	party cove.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	886.8 KB 
ID:	294646

Redneck Riviera for sure. Lots of giant offshore boats on display on a midwest lake every weekend in the summer.
    As a professional mariner that pic is giving me serious anxiety.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer