Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    um wut
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

this is the boat I would buy in the 25" range, for sure.

http://www.albemarleboats.com/25-express-edit
    Will you put it in a large bottle on your mantle?

If you ever look at the used market, let me know. My Yammi mechanic buddy sees everything. You would be amazed at the deals he gets, and he knows the engines are solid, because he maintains them. If a customer skips too many maintenance appointments, he fires them.

He has an absolutely mint 28 Pursuit hull with brand new , like less than 50 hours, Yamahas on it. I think it needs very basic stuff to get it perfect inside and out. I think he wants $70,000 for it with trailer.

Pursuit is another make in the same realm as the boats you are talking about. Same parent company as Tiara, same quality builds.

I love those Steigers. Probably the best looking thing to come out of Miami since J Lo.

This thread, for the first time ever, made me realize how rich you guys are. Holy shit.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

$500 a month. Ooof . I've been thinking o moving it from a slip to a mooring, it would cut the rent in half but I'd need a dinghy.

I qualify for a free mooring but has to be no more than 100" from shore and it's shallow as shit there. Still pondering it though.
    I have trouble sleeping at night when the boat is floating. Just seen too many go down due to faulty sumps. Plus I hate bottom paint. That said, free mooring would get me over it quickly. That's what insurance is for. Could you just buy a SUP to get out to it? They make some pretty cool water monitors now that will ping your phone if the boat is taking on water. Might be a wise investment on a mooring.

^^^ I am going to get that ap, ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    This thread, for the first time ever, made me realize how rich you guys are. Holy shit.
    well it's not expensive to have a fantasy

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Having a nice boat is cool, but not nearly as cool as having a really good friend with a nice boat..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Yeah, no shit. Most of these boats are just pipe dreams. I pull up at the beach next to $500,000- $800,000 boats that do the same thing as mine. Just a matter of priority and perspective I guess.
    Check out the airplane thread and get back to us.

My wife would have us move to Vancouver Is in a heartbeat. Then I tell her I would have to give up my sled, and buy a boat. Nothing fancy, just something around 19ft with ~100hp outboard, 8hp kicker, dual electric downriggers, and of course all the salt fishing gear (that I don’t already own).
    Name:  8BB1E1C0-5C86-415A-89DD-B32DEAAB9C7A.jpeg
Views: 380
Size:  44.1 KB
    After joking with our guide this summer’s fishing trip, and late night brandies with my dad, she realizes how much more affordable it is to live in the interior and just visit the west coast a couple times a year. And we have much better skiing here.

As for inboard vs outboard, dad’s old 22ft campion (early 80’s?) with 275hp inboard only has value in the motor for parts, and the trailer. Since the collapse of the gerrard fishery on Kootenay Lk, he only uses his 16ft with 30hp honda(?) on the west arm for kokanee and regular rainbows. So much easier to work on the outboard, and that inboard on the big boat just takes so much of the fishing real-estate away from the back. But designs on oth hull and engine have come so far. Some beautiful eye candy on these pages.
    Last edited by BCMtnHound; 09-22-2019 at 06:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    If you ever look at the used market, let me know....

He has an absolutely mint 28 Pursuit hull with brand new , like less than 50 hours, Yamahas on it. I think it needs very basic stuff to get it perfect inside and out. I think he wants $70,000 for it with trailer.
    man. what model and year, do you know?

I'll find out- pretty sure it is a 2870, but not sure if it is a CC or a cuddy/express style.

thanks.only interested in the cuddy/express but appreciate the effort.

Ice, want a 1997 Grady White Gulfstream that's ready for a repower? I think it may only need a sensor but mechanic cannot figure out how to fix it. You can come put around in it. Cuddy cabin. Motor is a 08? honda 225... ot gonna win a beauty contest.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Toss a 300 zuk on there and rip around

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Man you guys are killing me. want a boat so bad

Wife said not till the house gets sided, walkway gets done and those 5 big trees come down. Well guess what, house is sided, walkway is done, and wood is stacked. Currently taking the USCG Boat skills seamanship & navigation classes cuz I don't know jack shit about boating.

Want a 20-25 foot, cuddy cabin that I can fish off of, but also get away with wife, and entertain friends & family. Drooling over this but it'd require a loan;
    Attachment 294877
    https://boston.craigslist.org/sob/bo...983527036.html

thinking of maybe getting my foot in the door with something like this:
    Attachment 294879
    https://boston.craigslist.org/nos/bo...983432119.html

any sage advice from the TGR boat gurus?

Are outboard motors the new disposable razor blades?

Completely different boats, obviously. Where would you use it? What for? See what the CG class instructors think about starting out with a boat like either one of those and see what they say. They feel pretty large and/or powerful for a newbie to me, but I don’t know much.

This is the one I’m looking at. $80k then I’ll need a $60k halibut permit. Any of you dentists want to invest in a charter boat?
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    Completely different boats, obviously. Where would you use it? What for? See what the CG class instructors think about starting out with a boat like either one of those and see what they say. They feel pretty large and/or powerful for a newbie to me, but I don’t know much.
    How are they completely different? One is 22ft the other is 23. Both have cuddy cabins. Deck layout and hull design is a little different, ones an outboard and ones I/O, but outside of those differences they seem pretty similar to me.

CG guys so far are basically stressing not being an asshole, on the boat ramp, underway, wherever. Lot of common sense stuff that might not be common sense for a lot of the "I'm the only person in the world" douchebags that are everywhere. I guess I'm not a TOTAL noob, I have gone out on a buddies 29 foot Larson several times, felt pretty comfortable piloting that thing around.

[QUOTE=Diamond Joe;5761086]How are they completely different? One is 22ft the other is 23. Both have cuddy cabins. Deck layout and hull design is a little different, ones an outboard and ones I/O, but outside of those differences they seem pretty similar to me.

CG guys so far are basically stressing not being an asshole, on the boat ramp, underway, wherever. Lot of common sense stuff that might not be common sense for a lot of the "I'm the only person in the world" douchebags that are everywhere. I guess I'm not a TOTAL noob, I have gone out on a buddies 29 foot Larson several times, felt pretty comfortable piloting that thing around.[/Q
    No pictures of the engine. It probably is fuel injected but still a 23 year old marine engine. Unless it has been repowered i would not bother with it
    Not a boat you want to be putting money into.
    off your knees Louie

Are outboard motors the new disposable razor blades?

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Pontoon boat. Platform with shade. Stupid as fuck though. And don't get caught in any weather.
    No thanks. Here’s a recent local:
    https://www.delaware-surf-fishing.co...-1566151461-2/

Actually my wife wants one as a “party boat.” I do not.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

jgb@etree Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    Yeah, make sure you have time to actually use the boat before buying it. I bought a new 24' cc (robalo r242) 3 years ago. Spent a bunch of extra dough getting it outfitted to my exact specifications. Year 1, I probably got out 50+ times. I'd be rocking gore tex ski gear pounding thru waves in April & November. Had a lot of fun. Year 2, I made it out ~30 times from June to September. This year, I made it out.........twice. Who knew that a kid on 2 competitive summer club lax teams would take up so much time?!

Approx $5k in annual carrying costs (slip, maintenance, winter storage) means it cost me $2500 per outing, ignoring the initial cost of the boat.

I probably should have taken a clue from the pair of wrapped jetskis that have been sitting behind my garage untouched for the past 4 years. Have I mentioned what happens to free time after having a kid yet?

I regret neither the child nor the boat purchase, but it would be nice to find some free time!

Man you guys are killing me. want a boat so bad

Wife said not till the house gets sided, walkway gets done and those 5 big trees come down. Well guess what, house is sided, walkway is done, and wood is stacked. Currently taking the USCG Boat skills seamanship & navigation classes cuz I don't know jack shit about boating.

Want a 20-25 foot, cuddy cabin that I can fish off of, but also get away with wife, and entertain friends & family. Drooling over this but it'd require a loan;
    Attachment 294877
    https://boston.craigslist.org/sob/bo...983527036.html

thinking of maybe getting my foot in the door with something like this:
    Attachment 294879
    https://boston.craigslist.org/nos/bo...983432119.html

I would pass on both of those. Hydra Sports are known for porpoising. They just ride weird, and are pretty wet boats. If you are serious about it, I would look into a local/national boat club. They are a little pricey to get into, but you can use them anywhere they have a base. They will teach you how to operate the boats if needed, and in your area they should have a wide array of different boats for you to try out.

If you are dead set on ownership, and you really want a nice boat for reasonable money, go on ClassicMako.com or ClassicSeaCraft.com. Both of those makes are extremely solid hulls, and most anything for sale on their classifieds will have been re powered. Great way to learn what you want for cheap, and then step it up later.

JGB is right. If my kids played soccer or softball, I would never get out. Luckily, they dance, so THEY are always at the studio, but I am only required to be at comps 6 weekends a year. You know why dance is so expensive? Because it's worth it. Lots of free time.

Here is an example of Cuddy Makos that I would consider, if I was still looking.

This 284 is an amazing hull. Maybe not for beginners, but that beast will knock the snot out of snotty seas. This example is probably due for a repower, which would drastically change the $28,000 price.
    https://www.boattrader.com/listing/1...nced%20listing

These are nice, but a little small for me for a cuddy, and the beam is too small, I think.
    https://www.boattrader.com/listing/1...nced%20listing

How are they completely different? One is 22ft the other is 23. Both have cuddy cabins. Deck layout and hull design is a little different, ones an outboard and ones I/O, but outside of those differences they seem pretty similar to me.

CG guys so far are basically stressing not being an asshole, on the boat ramp, underway, wherever. Lot of common sense stuff that might not be common sense for a lot of the "I'm the only person in the world" douchebags that are everywhere. I guess I'm not a TOTAL noob, I have gone out on a buddies 29 foot Larson several times, felt pretty comfortable piloting that thing around.
    Not trying to be combative, but that’s like saying all skis with the similar dimensions will perform similarly. Those boats are very different, they’re built for different purposes. One is built to fish. The Hydra Sport appears far more seaworthy than the other hull, yet Hydra Sports are not regarded to be as seaworthy as a Mako, Grady White, Parker etc.

Good advice from Warthog and Jtree. Consider the boat club option to see if you enjoy / have time for the lifestyle, and it’s always nice to learn with someone else’s equipment. But I have no idea what happens when you ruin a prop, scratch the hull etc. If you’re anything like me and most boaters I know, you will probably have this happen as you get to know your local waters.

Maybe we need a boat advice thread

Thanks guys. I DO have time to go out on a boat, which is a big part of the reason I want one. No kids!! Plus I work a job where I (could) have 6 days out of every 8 off.

Warthog, I'm gonna look into boat clubs, thats good advice, thanks. That was mentioned by my CG instructors also. Those Makos look more fishing specific. I'm thinking, fishing would be done, but I would aslo just be cruising around with friends and family, so having good seating options is important. (Which it seems like fishing boats don't really do) Thats why I was looking at Larson Hamptons and Sea Ray Weekenders.. Making the wife happy is important, and she doesnt give two shits about fishing. She just wants some nice comfortable lounge-type seats to lie in the sun. So I need to find a balance of boat, where I can fish, but there is good seating for wife and when I take my parents (or inlaws) out cruising the coast.