Dropping chain off chainring

Anyone have any thoughts on how to prevent continually dropping the chain off of the front chain ring? My kids bike (24" DB) came with a chain guard but all that did was make it extremely hard to to the chain back on the chain ring once it fell off and didn't prevent it from coming off in the first place so I removed it. It happens about 4 times/ride on any real trail ride and frequently when he just goes up a curb riding to school.

I took out 2 link from the chain thinking it would add more tension but it hasn't made a noticeable difference. Should I take another 2 links out and see if that improves or are there any other suggestions (besides buying a real chain guard which I may end up doing if that's what the only answer but thinking there has to be an alternative).

Thoughts?

Make sure the chain guard is properly positioned. Could be that it just isn’t where it needs to be.

Other than that you’ll have to either replace it with something better or go to a narrow wide chainring I believe.

Narrowwide + clutched derail if its 10 speed.....

If its not 10 speed ....

you can try to sandwich to chainring between two cheap bashguard much larger than the chainring. IE use a bash for 36 on 32 tooth chainring, but I do not know what size chainring size you have...

http://n-gear.com/whatis.html

I used these on a few bikes switching to a single front ring and bash guard.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Narrow-wide works well even without a clutched derailleur, particularly for short range derailleurs and a properly sized chain.

Use this method to check chain length without removing the chain.

Only 8 speed so clutch derailleur is out but will look into jump stop as the pricing is right then maybe move on to a narrow-wide if it doesn't work (after rechecking chain length).

Thanks to all for the input.

My wife runs a narrow wide on her old school 9 speed XT, never drops the chain.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Narrow wide only works with a single narrow wide chain ring, if you got 2 front chain rings it will only shift into exactly 50% of the teeth.

You might rig s front chain guide out of an old front der
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Bike only has 1 chain ring so no issue there but may consider the front der rig if jump stop doesn't solve the issue.

You gotta have a narrow wide chain ring otherwise it's not narrow wide it's just one chain ring

If you look at a real narrow wide chain ring every other tooth is either narrow or wide so the chain only fits in every other tooth right ?

If you could put a front der on the seat post ( used would be fine) and rig the cable so the der stays in one spot it could guide the chain

Also look at an envy inner plate, it goes on the inside of the chainring and keeps the chain from falling inwards

Quote Originally Posted by rudy View Post
    Bike only has 1 chain ring so no issue there but may consider the front der rig if jump stop doesn't solve the issue.
    If it's like most cheap-ass 24" kids' bikes, I suspect it'll be difficult to find a narrow-wide ring that is compatible with the shitty crankset that usually comes on kid-bikes.

You ^^ are probably right

Fun I fact; you can run a 10spd chain and mech with an 8spd casstte/ shifter.
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

Have you checked that the chainring is straight and there aren’t any bent/broken teeth? Also check the bb is tight. Inspect the chain to check for twisted links.
    Do all this ^^^ before going down the crazy drivetrain rabbit hole that just erupted.
    Most kids bikes have weird components that are best repaired with a tap from a mallet, tweak from a crescent wrench or replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post
    Have you checked that the chainring is straight and there aren’t any bent/broken teeth? Also check the bb is tight. Inspect the chain to check for twisted links.
    Do all this ^^^ before going down the crazy drivetrain rabbit hole that just erupted.
    Most kids bikes have weird components that are best repaired with a tap from a mallet, tweak from a crescent wrench or replacement.
    IDK how we're ever gonna be the next Empty Beer if you keep bringing rational thinking into it every time. SMH

Wallstrasse 28, Hessen, 35321, Laubach, Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by rudy View Post
    Anyone have any thoughts on how to prevent continually dropping the chain off of the front chain ring? My kids bike (24" DB) came with a chain guard but all that did was make it extremely hard to to the chain back on the chain ring once it fell off and didn't prevent it from coming off in the first place so I removed it. It happens about 4 times/ride on any real trail ride and frequently when he just goes up a curb riding to school.

I took out 2 link from the chain thinking it would add more tension but it hasn't made a noticeable difference. Should I take another 2 links out and see if that improves or are there any other suggestions (besides buying a real chain guard which I may end up doing if that's what the only answer but thinking there has to be an alternative).

Thoughts?
    This topic is 8 months old I think you have solved your problem in this time period. However, if you can't then I will suggest you read this article first.
    I had the same problem as you but now i know how to solve this.

Regards
    Alex