Question Dynastar Slicer / Menace - Anyone Skied Them? Thoughts?

Reducing and restructuring the quiver and looking for a ski that's a little more relaxed than what I'd normally ski (Legend Pros, Pro Riders and WC GS). Something a little more manageable at slow speeds when I'm out with our little kids. I can get a reasonable price on last years Dynastar Slicer 181, however, the only thing I am somewhat hesitant on is the size as the 187 isn't available. On the flip side, compared to what I'm used to a 181 seems like it would be pretty nice when maneuvering around kids, carrying all our gear.

Other than Blister's review of the 181, which makes it sound as if this is a good fit for my purposes, there's not a ton of reviews out there. Anyone have experience with this ski?

Lots of people over on PugSki like it.

So it's probably a pretty relaxed ski.

I owned one from several years ago. Easy to ski and great for what you described. I liked the shape and just wish it was a bit stronger.

I’ve skied both the 187 and 181. Both are great skis. It’s a very refined design. Fun on groomers while still providing enough power and stability to get out and party in soft chop or firm off piste. It’s a solid resort fun ski.

Got a pair of last year’s Slicer Factory in 181cm myself for a Spring/Low Coverage ski as the $325 US with Attack2 13 Bindings mounted was too good of a deal to pass up. Tried them years ago and liked them so a safe purchase.

Weighed mine at 2141/2137g so the same weight as my 184 2018 Bibbys with a slightly softer but similar flex pattern. Mounted mine 2cm forward of the 7.75cm back “all mountain” line to make them a bit more playful.

SkiEssentials and Skis.com have reviews of the Slicer and the Menace 98 which all match the review of BlisterGear. Fun, easy to ski with enough backbone and weight to be pretty stable at speed through crud. A very good deal if you get Slicer top sheets.

Dynastar Slicer / Menace - Anyone Skied Them? Thoughts?

I skied the 187 extensively last season in March and April. Probably 20ish days. They rip. I love my Pro Riders and OG LPs too. The Menace is much more playful and forgiving but will not let you down when you need to lean into them in afternoon chop.

One thing to keep in mind is, according to the Dynastar rep, the 187 features a solid wood core because it’s the “one the pros ski.” Upon handing the demos to a friend of mine who struggles to really drive a ski, he warned “this is not a toy.” YMMV

I’m planning to keep a pair in the quiver.

Edit to add some old pics of the Menace and 186 LP

There’s a menace behind there:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6265.JPG 
Views:	70 
Size:	682.0 KB 
ID:	294681. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6266.JPG 
Views:	98 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	294682

Profile:

Name:	IMG_6263.JPG 
Views:	63 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	294683

Family shot:

Name:	IMG_6264.JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	280.4 KB 
ID:	294684

Thanks for the input...it sounds like what I am looking for.

jackattack, I wish Dynastar still made the raceroom LPs 186/194...the LPR Factory is pretty sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by Colorado_Freeskier View Post
    Thanks for the input...it sounds like what I am looking for.

jackattack, I wish Dynastar still made the raceroom LPs 186/194...the LPR Factory is pretty sweet.
    yes, a thousand times yes.
    that being said I think the Slicer has been in the line now for 12 seasons? How's that for paying of a mold? It is the sleeper ski of all time.
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

Pulled the trigger on the Slicers and have a pair of PX 15s waiting.

Was lucky to find a gaper on craigslist with a pair of 186 LPs last year...he skied them lightly for a few days and sold them to me for $250-300. Skis are like new. Also have the LPR Factory, a pair of LPR 184s and their FIS WC GS, so I could use a playful ski especially as I'm not hitting the gym since having kids.

Quote Originally Posted by waxman View Post
    yes, a thousand times yes.
    that being said I think the Slicer has been in the line now for 12 seasons? How's that for paying of a mold? It is the sleeper ski of all time.
    I think it was first in shops for the 10/11 season as the sixth sense slicer, so almost a decade.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    I think it was first in shops for the 10/11 season as the sixth sense slicer, so almost a decade.
    could be, i had them early due my former job. still going strong
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

Mold would have really paid for itself if it didn’t come out right as Dynastar completely pulled out of the freestyle/free ride market. The Rockered Huge trouble/sixth sense was another highly underrated free ride ski which didn’t get enough traction.

Dynastar Slicer / Menace - Anyone Skied Them? Thoughts?

I really want to try these