Page 13 of 39 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
    Came here to post that. Super glad Richards was finally shown the door and is no longer EP.

Quote Originally Posted by geomorph View Post
    https://twitter.com/James_Holzhauer/...709874177?s=19

James Holzhauer has a spicy Twitter feed.
    JH getting a lot of grief for not speaking his mind earlier. He probably didn't want to burn the bridge as that would have very likely meant no invites to future all-star tourneys.
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

Jeopardy thread- LETITSNOW

new song and the new episodes with Mike Richards hosting- weird!
    I thought it was still reruns for a bit but got a surprise this evening with a newbie
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by babybear View Post
    I thought it was still reruns for a bit but got a surprise this evening with a newbie
    Did not hear the new song, was out in the kitchen fixing dinner. But then had to go out and see whom was the host. After hearing Buzzy again in the reruns of the 2021 TofC last week, if I do not sit in front of the TV and watch him he started to sound a bit better as a choice.

It was painful tonight hearing the champion go through the 13 syllable word category, did not think they were going to have enough time to have a final Jeopardy as slow as he was with responses.

Quote Originally Posted by babybear View Post
    They had taped their first day before he threw in the towel and was shown the door. So I think we have to endure him for 1 week but that’s it. Shame they couldn’t have scrapped those episodes. I cringe at the thought of a new song and hopefully that goes w MR
    Last edited by mcski; 09-13-2021 at 11:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    They had taped their first day before he threw in the towel and was shown the door. So I think we have to endure him for 1 week but that’s it. Shame they couldn’t have scrapped those episodes. I cringe at the thought of a new song and hopefully that goes w MR
    They likely can't scrap them since the contract with the contestants probably makes that very complicated.
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

Ken Jennings will return as host for the remainder of the year. Long live the king/goat

In other news, MRs last show will be tomorrow. If he says see you next week at the end of the episode, I will take an extra serving of schadenfreud

cool yeah I figured he might show up in the early episodes but I guess I must not have been paying attention because I was surprised that the new season was starting this week.

The thing is is that he does a pretty good job. But I can't get past his douchey behavior.
    I like seeing Ken come back. maybe after the Mike Richards debacle, Ken's twitter posts won't seem as bad lol
    skid luxury

Punky's going to share the hosting with Jennings
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

You mean Blossom lol

B-Bear agreed. If he wasn’t such a clearly conniving douche, MR would have had a good host gig at some point.

Although for just straight skill as host delivery, I think Faber was the best as a total host package
    Last edited by mcski; 09-16-2021 at 06:54 PM.

Cannot believe 2 contestants got "Slower than molasses in January" wrong.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Cannot believe 2 contestants got "Slower than molasses in January" wrong.
    You say that because it's a common phrase in your neck of the woods or because it's the logical answer?

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    You say that because it's a common phrase in your neck of the woods or because it's the logical answer?
    I thought it was common but maybe not? I say it all the time esp. when I'm talking to my horses/donkeys.

Historically speaking - Slow As Molasses In January

It was a balmy 43 degrees Fahrenheit (6 degrees Celsius) in Boston when the Great Molasses Flood happened on Wednesday, January 15, 1919 . On that day, the low-lying section of Commercial Street between Copps Hill and North End Park was flooded by the contents of a 58-foot tank that had contained no less than 2.5 million gallons of molasses . The container stood just behind the Boston and Worcester freight terminal.

When the tank split wide open at around 12:30 p.m. that day, a 30-foot tidal wave of molasses tore the steel supports off the nearby elevated train structure. In the end, it was determined that the molasses of the Great Molasses Flood ran at between 25 and 30 mph (40 to 48 kph).

That being said, the expression “slow as molasses in January” is an Americanism for someone or something that is painfully slow. Due to the high viscosity of commonly available molasses at room temperature, the liquid pours quite slowly.

In the 1941 movie Gone with the Wind, Scarlett O’Hara chides Prissy for being as “slow as molasses in January.”

In the King Vidor movie Hallelujah released in August of 1929, you hear “You’re slower than cold molasses in winter time” just over an hour into the movie.

Thirty-four years before that, John Adrian wrote a piece for the Detroit Free Press on July 11, 1886 that discussed Milwaukee (WI) in a 182-word article. His words certainly painted quite the picture of Milwaukee in 1886! Part of his review included:

The city is also noted as being somewhat of a slow town. While we brand the villain who says so, we must admit that its street cars are slower than molasses in winter and are as scarce as hen’s teeth.

And 14 years before that review, the Chicago Daily Tribune ran a story on December 28, 1872 about the secret investigation of the Credit Mobilier scandal. The newspaper reported that:

Most of them had the matter under advisement for seven or eight months before they could satisfy their consciences as to the moral bearing of the transaction, showing that the average Congressional perception of right and wrong is much slower than molasses in January.

In the records of the Supreme Court of Louisiana, there is a case dealing specifically with molasses in the month of January in 1840.

That defendant’s molasses was contained in two cisterns, a large and a small one; that in December 1839, Stansberry, the overseer, told defendant that if something was not done with the molasses it would be lost, because the large cistern, which was under ground, would not stand the pressure upon it, being nearly full. To this the defendant answered, that he was waiting for the plaintiff to send him some casks, and was expecting them daily. A few days after, in the beginning of January, a message was brought to the defendant and the overseer, that the cistern had bursted and was leaking. On reaching the sugar house they found that the large cistern had given way, that the molasses was oozing out of the cistern, and the water outside, running from above.

While there is still no printed reference to being “slow as molasses in January” in 1840, one can determine from how the case was argued that the molasses that leaked out of the cistern in January did so very slowly.

Somewhere between 1840 and 1872, the expression “slow as molasses in January” became part of the English language.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Well there you have it. Undoubtedly the contestants don't have horses or donkeys, or if they do they don't talk to them.
    I've certainly heard slow as molasses, just not the January part. But I live in California, molasses flows just as well in January as in July--better than July in SF.
    While we're at it, how long does molasses last. We have not one but two bottles. I don't know for sure how old they are but must be at least 15 years because that's about how long it's been since my wife baked anything. (Not refrigerated, obviously.)

While we're at it, how long does molasses last. We have not one but two bottles. I don't know for sure how old they are but must be at least 15 years because that's about how long it's been since my wife baked anything. (Not refrigerated, obviously.)
    Dunno. Molasses never sticks around in my house that long as it is a key ingredient in several of my favorite baked goods.

Levar Burton no longer interested in being permanent host, says he got alot of other offers as a result of his guest stint, so good for him https://www.newsweek.com/levar-burto...y-host-1630069

also, I just remembered a dream I had last night, that I discovered my old skis were broken so I needed to buy new ones- winter must be coming!
    Last edited by Tele 'til You're Smelly; 09-17-2021 at 10:16 AM.

Matt Amodio has quietly passed James for number 2 in wins and is not at 35 and ~1.4m in winnings. Very impressive

I'm waiting for all the morans to claim the second place dude got robbed tonight because they wouldn't take his "biathalon" for biathlon. First of all they were right to not give him that since it adds a syllable, second he was getting second place no matter what.

He was def getting second place so it didn’t matter, but i could have seen that answer go either way since spelling generally doesn’t matter. I was a little surprised. I have been spelling it wrong too
    Last edited by mcski; 10-08-2021 at 12:44 PM.

I believe they were sending a message to all the sportscasters and the general public who have been adding a syllable to decathlon, etc, since the ancient Greeks. Like AD said--misspelling is ok, but not when it changes the pronunciation. Thunburg is ok, Thurnberg is not.

Matt's obviously really good with the buzzer and confidant enough to ring in before he's recalled the answer. How long has it been since a match was decided in Final Jeopardy?

And don't get me started about ath-a-lete.

Loved that question, because I've thought it was "biathalon" my whole life until yesterday. Glad it didn't make a difference in the result though- would have been harsh to not win because of that!

How long has it been since a match was decided in Final Jeopardy?
    there was a game a couple weeks ago where one of the female challengers would have won if she had gotten final jeopardy right, if I recall (she was within half, bet enough to win, and Matt got it wrong too)

One answer tonight was "Ironman" which one of the losers got. Then, as Mayim was telling him he was right he slipped in "triathalon". Lucky for him she didn't catch it or chose to ignore the mispronunciation.

One answer tonight was "Ironman" which one of the losers got. Then, as Mayim was telling him he was right he slipped in "triathalon". Lucky for him she didn't catch it or chose to ignore the mispronunciation.
    Yeah that was pretty funny considering that guy had to be in the audience for the "biathalon" game. Old habits die hard.