Page 1 of 39 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Jeopardy thread- LETITSNOW

Good start to the new season as we bid adieu to the old thread

Jason is on a tear and it's almost easy to forget since he got split by the summer reruns - altho as previously discussed it allowed him to pick up on the James strategy

also heard this morning that Alex was back in chemo (tear)
    skid luxury

I'll take The Rapists for $500, Alex!
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Youre mother’s a whore, Trebek.

What is “this new thread is annoying and shouldn’t be necessary”?

. . . and I just NOW got why the title of this new thread has "let it snow" appended to it (hadn't watched the clip). I look forward to the months and years ahead when people come to the thread for the first time and the clip is buried on the first page, and eventually get their own "aha!" moment

Alex getting teary last night and the producers leaving it in- could this TOC week be his last on the show?

Quote Originally Posted by Tele 'til You're Smelly View Post
    Alex getting teary last night and the producers leaving it in- could this TOC week be his last on the show?
    I don't think so. They've got a lot more in the can already.

I've got a gripe about this ToC and it's that they let Emma in. I understand why they'd want her in, but she shouldn't have qualified per the usual standards. They actually left a five time winner out to put her in (she only won three games). The standard has always been that winning five games automatically qualifies you and number of wins is always the first criterion for selection.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I've got a gripe about this ToC and it's that they let Emma in. I understand why they'd want her in, but she shouldn't have qualified per the usual standards. They actually left a five time winner out to put her in (she only won three games). The standard has always been that winning five games automatically qualifies you and number of wins is always the first criterion for selection.
    I hadn't thought about that. From the Wikipedia ToC page:

Larry Martin, winner of the 2018 Teachers Tournament, died in January 2019, eight months after his win.

On rare occasions, the Jeopardy! staff will invite another contestant for the Tournament of Champions who would not have qualified under traditional circumstances. Emma Boettcher, notable for her upset of James Holzhauer, was invited to fill Martin's spot in the 2019 Tournament of Champions despite only winning three games, in part because of her overall score. As part of the conditions of the wild-card, contestants who had finished ahead of Boettcher were placed in the pool for the 2020 Tournament of Champions.

Well Emma came in a close 2nd to James in the ToC, actually beating him in day 2- she belonged there!

I don't think there was ever any question that she belonged in the ToC due to her skill, the problem was her actual performance on the regular shows didn't warrant putting her there.

Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

Cool! Jeopardy is the gift that keeps on giving for these guys. I think I'd put my money on James, but it will be fun to see.

obviously I'm very, very excited about this GOAT tourney

but about tonight's game- they didn't get the Tom Hanks question?? come on!
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post
    obviously I'm very, very excited about this GOAT tourney

but about tonight's game- they didn't get the Tom Hanks question?? come on!
    I had the same reaction- but then I remembered it was taped well before all the publicity around Hanks doing the Mr. Rogers movie- not knowing he was doing that, I might not have immediately recognized him in the makeup for the role either

I heard there was some kind of buzzer issue during the Mr Rogers clue and that's why no one buzzed in. That would explain it.

Ya, the outrage was quickly explained that it was actually a buzzer issue but they just had them play on under no harm, no foul response rule. But it wasn’t like they were a bunch of doofuses that didn’t recognize Hanx. But it made a good headline so someone ran with it.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Cool! Jeopardy is the gift that keeps on giving for these guys. I think I'd put my money on James, but it will be fun to see.
    I will be super annoyed if Fucking Brad wins again. I’ll be rooting for Ken, but think James will likely win. Even Ken says he’s just not as quick as he was 15 yrs ago. Which is kind of weird to think of it that way - like an athlete past his prime

Yeah, I'd love to see Ken take it. Should be interesting. Brad and Ken both know James' strategy and that will help them. It will be interesting to see who has the best buzzer skills. The key will be getting those daily doubles and leveraging them as much as possible.

I wonder if the Jep team will start ramping up the DDs in level of difficulty and obscurity to level out the game winning bets with more risk. Currently, after seeing James play it seems foolish not to bet huge unless it’s a category you are really weak in. The DDs are generally always easier than the Final.

Name:  le tits now.JPG
Views: 4839
Size:  36.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    The DDs are generally always easier than the Final.
    do the stats back that up? I haven't noticed that myself.

I just read that when everyone missed the softball Tom Hanks question Monday, it happened because the buzzers weren't enabled. Judges decided no harm, no foul, play on since all were impacted equally. Anyway, that's why they were all standing there looking puzzled, not because they didn't know the answer but because they couldn't ring in.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Christmas show: Kristin may not have been the greatest contestant ever, but damn she was a looker:
    https://www.jeopardy.com/contestant-zone

Check out her Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kristinbutz/?hl=en

thank you