Page 20 of 39 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by babybear View Post
    I’ve never seen Citizen Cane- it’s $3.99 to rent- is it worth the watch?
    Or am I good now that I read the synopsis and can answer Jeopardy questions about it
    I’m sure it’s not for everybody. Young people might not be interested in it. But it’s a classic that I think everyone should watch at least once.

After all, it is freaking Orson Wells himself!

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    And once again, I can’t figure out the betting strategy of either Mattea or the other player. The other player didn’t simply bet everything, but bet some smaller amount. And then Mattea bet JUST ENOUGH to lose by $1! If she would have bet less, she would have won. I can’t figure out how they both decided to meet at that number?
    She talked about her strategy on a recent Jeopardy web site interview (after one of the days she had exactly double what her opponent had going into Final Jeopardy.) She at that time bet $1 so she would have not ended in a tiebreaker. If she got it wrong, and the other contestant got it wrong then she would win, if she got it wrong, and the other contestant got it right, she said the best person that day would win.
    https://www.jeopardy.com/jbuzz/strea...eason-winnings

"While staying calm, cool, and collected has proven to be a successful strategy for Mattea, so has wagering wisely. During Mattea’s seventh and 17th games, she placed $1 wagers during Final Jeopardy! to avoid having to go into a tiebreaker.

“I figure bet a dollar, if we're both right, I win,” Mattea said. “If we're both wrong, I also win. And you know, if the other player gets it right, I get it wrong and I end up losing, well then, the best player won that day.”

So that is her thinking and wagering strategy.
    Last edited by RShea; 05-07-2022 at 09:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I've noticed her hands, too.
    I think it is her shorter fingers compared to her palms now that you brought it up, (not that she can do much about that ) - Kelly Clarkson also has shorter fingers...

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I'm impressed not only by Mattea's knowledge of Americana but by her knowledge of boomerana. Citizen Kane was obviously a pre boomer film but we watched a lot of 30's and 40's films in the 60's and 70's. I don't get the impression 20 somethings are watching that old stuff as much as we did. That FJ was a snap for me.
    Wonder if that was her parents influence- growing up they would expose her to boomerana (as you call it...)

And once again, I can’t figure out the betting strategy of either Mattea or the other player. The other player didn’t simply bet everything, but bet some smaller amount. And then Mattea bet JUST ENOUGH to lose by $1! If she would have bet less, she would have won. I can’t figure out how they both decided to meet at that number?
    Mattea bet enough to win by a dollar if the other player bet it all and was correct. It was the other players bet that was the interesting one; she essentially bet on Mattea getting it wrong.

And what's with people posting the results the same day. As soon as you say spoiler alert people know what it means. Or in my case I saw it inadvertently after I posted my previous post. And what's the point of posting it. People who have already seen the show know, people who haven't don't want to. Banning offense IMO.
    My thinking was that people had already posted that since GMA had already announced she was done, the spoiler could have been that she won...so not exactly a dead giveaway.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsAugustWest View Post
    My thinking was that people had already posted that since GMA had already announced she was done, the spoiler could have been that she won...so not exactly a dead giveaway.
    The GMA spoiler was on here, it however was not clear as to how many more shows (in this case a day of tapings and a four wins before the Friday loss) So if I had not been in this thread, I probably would have not heard about the GMA appearance. Since I knew she was done, it was each day this past week wondering when her streak would end...

Quote Originally Posted by Tele 'til You're Smelly View Post
    While I agree people should wait until the next day- why not just wait til you've watched today's show to look at this thread? I never do.
    I noticed there was some activity in this thread yesterday and suspected Mattea might have lost, but I certainly wasn't going to look at is until after I'd seen the show.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Mattea bet enough to win by a dollar if the other player bet it all and was correct. It was the other players bet that was the interesting one; she essentially bet on Mattea getting it wrong.
    Yeah, I finally figured that out. Interesting, but I think suboptimal betting,

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    The GMA spoiler was on here, it however was not clear as to how many more shows (in this case a day of tapings and a four wins before the Friday loss) So if I had not been in this thread, I probably would have not heard about the GMA appearance. Since I knew she was done, it was each day this past week wondering when her streak would end...
    The show is taped typically a couple months in advance of when it airs.

Quote Originally Posted by Tele 'til You're Smelly View Post
    While I agree people should wait until the next day- why not just wait til you've watched today's show to look at this thread? I never do.
    So you're suggesting that I should assume that someone on TGR couldn't wait to be the first to post some bit of news. You have a point.

That's one of the most obscure FJ questions I can remember and it just happened to come up when an Atlanta resident was playing. (Or maybe it's obscure for a west coast resident who never has to fly through Atlanta.) And the weird betting wound up with the champ losing by a dollar. Forgive me if I'm skeptical that it was all coincidence. Anyone know about the "21" scandal.

So you're suggesting that I should assume that someone on TGR couldn't wait to be the first to post some bit of news. You have a point.

That's one of the most obscure FJ questions I can remember and it just happened to come up when an Atlanta resident was playing. (Or maybe it's obscure for a west coast resident who never has to fly through Atlanta.) And the weird betting wound up with the champ losing by a dollar. Forgive me if I'm skeptical that it was all coincidence. Anyone know about the "21" scandal.
    At the very start of that particular episode Ken Jennings decided (likely scripted) to say that the questions for each scheduled episode have been written months in advance.. Ya, why did he happen to mention that then? Because he knew the Final Jeopardy question favored one of the contestants right??
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    At the very start of that particular episode Ken Jennings decided (likely scripted) to say that the questions for each scheduled episode have been written months in advance.. Ya, why did he happen to mention that then? Because he knew the Final Jeopardy question favored one of the contestants right??
    Ken might know it, but the contestants don't. They randomly pick from some number of question sets before each episode. The contestants are also randomly chosen (other than the champ, obviously) from those who are in the studio for that day's taping.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Ken might know it, but the contestants don't. They randomly pick from some number of question sets before each episode. The contestants are also randomly chosen (other than the champ, obviously) from those who are in the studio for that day's taping.
    Ken was likely preempting the suspicions already knowing the Atlanta contestant might have an edge on the final question. Foreshadowing. but intended to quell accusations of things being rigged..

I thought he said that because the previous night the FJ question was Canadian. Or is my memory faulty?

I thought he said that because the previous night the FJ question was Canadian. Or is my memory faulty?
    I thought the previous FJ question was Citizen Kane. Regardless of the reason.. it was timely with the final coming up later being totally a softball for the Atlanta contestant.

Jeopardy thread- LETITSNOW

He said the same thing a couple days back after there was a Canadian question that favored Mattea

She was a good champ. I found her weird hand gestures mesmerizing

Hard to believe Ken always led going into final. I had a feeling mattea was gonna lose w the score going into final, but I didn’t expect the question to be so esoteric

It was a few games previously when the answer was “Oh Canada!”.

It was a few games previously when the answer was “Oh Canada!”.
    You hardly had to be Canadian to get that one. Thanks for the memory check.

The show is taped typically a couple months in advance of when it airs.
    I know that - not any news at all. They also can't reveal any outcomes before they air as part of the contract.

So I also watched GMA interview and it was talking only about the close win by the $1 on day 17 and her Canadian highest winnings and longest streak of wins by a Canadian...

Both times at some point in the 2 shows he stated that the FJ questions were random and they are picked before they even know the contestants type of speech. Either in the lead into the FJ or sometime in the show.

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    Both he and Mayim have too much personality IMO--some people like, some are turned off. Alex's strong point was that he was bland without being dull. As much media attention as he got in the last few years of the show you never really paid him much attention during the episodes. I skip Ken's intros and I've always skipped the contestant interviews, but I do like his occasional offhand unscripted remarks and that he is somewhat lenient on things like forgetting to put the answer in the form of a question.

the linked article said Ken J is going on hiatus- here is a somewhat more readable website discussing it- https://tvshowsace.com/2022/05/08/je...-mayim-bialik/ Says he'll be back on before the end of the season, which is late July.

I hope he’s back. I think he has been getting better and better as a jeopardy host at blending into the game as he has got more experience. Blossom seems to be moving in the other direction and is much more intrusive