Page 8 of 39 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    A blogger called The Jeopardy! Fan posted a series of tweets that began by giving him the benefit of the doubt, but then ultimately concluding that he probably did it on purpose: https://twitter.com/_thejeopardyfan/...rc=twsrc%5Etfw

It might cost him his winnings- I know you don't get the winnings until after the shows air (which is weeks after they are taped), and my understanding is that they have almost unlimited discretion to not pay them out if you do something bad (including reveal the results of your match, but I bet there is a clause about things like this too). Certain amounts cannot be bet in double and final jeopardies, including $420 and $666, and there are some white supremacist numbers too on the banned list

He even replied on Facebook to the effect that he showed one finger after winning one game, two after two, and three after three, and nothing more should be read into it. To me the fact that he didn't specifically renounce it is all the proof I need. If I inadvertently flashed a symbol like that I'd be pretty strident in my apology afterward.

These people want to have plausible deniability. Fuck him.

AC by a very, very wide margin the best host. IMO as good as anyone ever. But, he has much better things to do.
    "Can't you see..."

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Tucker View Post
    as good as anyone ever.
    woah there now.
    swing your fucking sword.

I really liked AC when he did that show The Mole. Joe Buck? I'll find something else to do, fuck him.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

AC by a very, very wide margin the best host. IMO as good as anyone ever. But, he has much better things to do.
    Yes, he's been great, but I agree he's probably not interested in the permanent job.

But, man, say $10 million a year for about 40 days of work has got to be pretty compelling!

He's the smoothest, most comfortable, most boring host so far. He doesn't take anything away from the show (Dr. Oz) or add anything to it (Rodgers). And I like AC as a journalist--one of the few CNN people I can stand.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    He's the smoothest, most comfortable, most boring host so far. He doesn't take anything away from the show (Dr. Oz) or add anything to it (Rodgers). And I like AC as a journalist--one of the few CNN people I can stand.
    these are my exact same thoughts, thank you

as to the other matter, the latest is that he now says "I assure you I am no friend of racists or white supremacists": https://www.tmz.com/2021/04/29/jeopa...nds-disavowal/

Quote Originally Posted by Tele 'til You're Smelly View Post
    as to the other matter, the latest is that he now says "I assure you I am no friend of racists or white supremacists": https://www.tmz.com/2021/04/29/jeopa...nds-disavowal/
    i mean, come on, the dude is just holding up a 3.

What kind of weirdo holds up a three by showing just their last three fingers? Just about anyone would use their middle three, unless they were intentionally trying to signal something else...

There's more evidence (admittedly circumstantial) that there was more to it than merely "holding up a three." Someone on a Facebook Jeopardy! group I'm a member summarized the evidence:
    I posted this in a subthread (specifically about Snopes) but I’m going to bring it out here as it outlines the evidence as I see it. If you have other points, feel free to leave them in the replies.
    1) He has donated for the past five years to a candidate associated with this ideology
    2) His public posts were full of references from his friends and family to his wearing something associated with this ideology, which he has been photographed doing
    3) His friends and family defended him with racist and anti-Semitic insults, and he said nothing
    4) Until this morning, his cover photo was of Frank Sinatra making the OK sign
    5) He could have but didn’t disavow white supremacy in his explanation
    6) The Jeopardy! Fan Twitter account Snopes relied on as an authority in the matter has long since said that it now believes there was nothing innocent about the gesture
    7) The gesture is identical to how the three percenters perform it and not even slightly similar to how he made his 1 and 2
    The reason people like him use this gesture is because other white nationalists recognize it and those who aren’t savvy to it look past it. We cannot do that.
    I still maintain it just doesn't pass the sniff test.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    What kind of weirdo holds up a three by showing just their last three fingers? Just about anyone would use their middle three, unless they were intentionally trying to signal something else...
    I remember some refs used that in wrestling to indicate 3 points. I think use all 3 reasonable ways to show 3 on my hands, though I probably do the thumb, pointer, middle most often. Pretty sure I picked that up from my friend's german dad in elementary school. It's less awkward then pinning the pinky down.

Not that I'm defending this, I just saw your first question and figured it was worth responding to. That's the problem with people trying to co-opt normal gestures.

I agree that yesterday afternoon, it was looking bad for him. But most recently, he has said “I reject and condemn white supremacy and all forms of bigotry for the evil they are,” and added, “I deeply regret this terrible misunderstanding,” and Snopes has taken the position that he did not intend to make the white power symbol: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/je...-hand-gesture/

There's more evidence (admittedly circumstantial) that there was more to it than merely "holding up a three." Someone on a Facebook Jeopardy! group I'm a member summarized the evidence:

I still maintain it just doesn't pass the sniff test.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BDB_yCvuTlE

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Maybe he's innocent or maybe he just want to be sure he gets his money...

Maybe he's innocent or maybe he just want to be sure he gets his money...
    Shit. I was ready to roll my eyes at this, but if The AD is on board with the idea, then maybe there's something to it.

My daughter just turned 6 and mostly watches jeopardy by deciding who she is rooting for. She didn't like the guy and is usually a good judge of character. Maybe I need to listen better.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

most boring host
    As compared to who?
    "Can't you see..."

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    i mean, come on, the dude is just holding up a 3.
    5 if you're in France. (I found out the hard way that they go by the last finger shown. Hold up 2 fingers the way we do in America and it means 3--as if you were showing the thumb. Although maybe having 3 glasses of wine for my wife and I wasn't exactly the hard way.)

As compared to who?
    All the other ones.

Maybe the reason for the guests hosts' delays in saying right or wrong is that they're waiting for someone backstage to tell them right or wrong through their earpiece. I never noticed a delay with Alex--but occasionally he would reverse a ruling which I don't recall the guest hosts doing. So maybe Alex didn't rely on a backstage judge on the fly.

Maybe the reason for the guests hosts' delays in saying right or wrong is that they're waiting for someone backstage to tell them right or wrong through their earpiece. I never noticed a delay with Alex--but occasionally he would reverse a ruling which I don't recall the guest hosts doing. So maybe Alex didn't rely on a backstage judge on the fly.
    I think that's right. After he had been doing it long enough Alex must have had had a very good idea of what would be accepted. I don't know if it's just me but toward the end when he'd make a ruling that I thought would be overruled, he wouldn't actually be overruled so much, and I wondered whether the judges figured they might as well defer to his ruling when it was close.

Also, it's interesting to realize how well Alex had proper pronunciations down- the guest hosts, including AC surprisingly, struggle with some of them compared to him.

Also, it's interesting to realize how well Alex had proper pronunciations down- the guest hosts, including AC surprisingly, struggle with some of them compared to him.
    i've noticed this as well. makes me appreciate alex all the more.

He was merely referencing The Tight Butthole,mang. C'mon

Outer Banks is not Hatteras ? since when ?

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.

What is "Utah, get me three"?

I like Bill Whitaker as host.
    "Let's be careful out there."

This NYT's editorialist has liked Ken Jennings, Aaron Rogers, and Katie Couric best: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/05/a...-new-host.html

This NYT's editorialist has liked Ken Jennings, Aaron Rogers, and Katie Couric best: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/05/a...-new-host.html
    I'd disagree with the final analyses on that opinion, but some of the points and comments in the article do make for a good read. Maybe it is the women's view and rating of the hosts- Mars vs Venus scale of what they like...