Page 18 of 39 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast

Jeopardy thread- LETITSNOW

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    It was in the front page of CNN yesterday before the show aired on the west coast.

Pretty annoying. I was watching thinking “how will she blow this lead?”

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Ya I was scrolling and saw a picture on my feed of glasses guy just as Jeopardy came on and didn’t even need a headline after that. I was glad she played well and lost only because of her achilles heal final history

Odd though I got the impression she totally killed it on most of the other geography questions..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    It was? I look at the NYT website pretty religiously and didn't see it. I was pretty amazed I didn't get spoiled before the show.
    Could've been WaPo. I'd better go back and check--maybe I need to resubscribe to the NYT and cancel WaPo. That would be good, because of the xword.

Amy-killer bald glasses guy didn't know the Bette Midler question? Disappointing. You want to see a giant killer win at least one more after.
    Last edited by Tele 'til You're Smelly; 01-28-2022 at 10:59 AM.

That game was a huge let down. Bring back Amy.

That Final Jeopardy clue was ridiculous (Gilbert Stuart). I doubt all three of the GOATs would have gotten that one right.

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Odd though I got the impression she totally killed it on most of the other geography questions..
    I think she killed everything but still got a disproportionate amount of finals wrong. It was a little weird

ya Gilbert Stuart? Without even a hint on painting makes that a real trivia stretch. I really think the new regime has increased the trivia difficulty. There have been quite a few esoteric questions that would have been unlikely to be used previously

That Final Jeopardy clue was ridiculous (Gilbert Stuart). I doubt all three of the GOATs would have gotten that one right.
    Who knew Gilbert Stuart was Irish?

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Who knew Gilbert Stuart was Irish?
    Apparently he wasn't. He was American, but had gone to England and then Ireland to flee debtor's prison. That made it even more cryptic. WTF?

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    I think she killed everything but still got a disproportionate amount of finals wrong. It was a little weird
    true in the second half of her run, but she got almost all of them right in her first half (I think Ken jinxed her- he remarked on it right before her final jeopardys started to fall apart). She and other long-running champs have talked about the pressure of playing a long time- I think it messes with you after a while.

Apparently he wasn't. He was American, but had gone to England and then Ireland to flee debtor's prison. That made it even more cryptic. WTF?
    Ken threw that one in there to derail Amy, knowing that the only way she was going to be beaten was in FJ, and not knowing she would have already lost in taping earlier that day. It's pretty clear Ken doesn't want his record broken.

I don’t think Ken was worried his record was actually in danger yet. The grind of tapings must be pretty exhausting and eventually is gonna balance the buzzer experience advantage.

No back to Blossom after weeks of Ken is really bugging me now

This current guy w the HAIR went to the same school as me. Will have to see if we have any friends of hair cutters in common

The girl challenger has all the energy of Aubrey Plaza’s character on Parks n Rec

The girl challenger has all the energy of Aubrey Plaza’s character on Parks n Rec
    God, you're right. That's exactly who she was reminiscent of!

The final yesterday (which no one got) was one of the hardest I can remember: "Mimicking her style, a 1912 rejection note read: “Only one look, only one look is enough. Hardly one copy would sell here. Hardly one.” Correct response: Gertrude Stein. So you had to have read her enough to recognize the writing style- yikes.

I got that one easily. But then Gertrude was the one who convinced me I had no future as a writer. She was a lot funnier than people think.
    And if the only line of Gertrude Stein you know (like 99.999% of the English speaking world) is "A rose is a rose is a rose" that should have been enough.

I thought Friday's (Gilbert Stuart) was much harder.

I thought Friday's (Gilbert Stuart) was much harder.
    I never met the man but he did a nice painting of my grandfather. I never knew the Irish connection.

Quote Originally Posted by Tele 'til You're Smelly View Post
    The final yesterday (which no one got) was one of the hardest I can remember: "Mimicking her style, a 1912 rejection note read: “Only one look, only one look is enough. Hardly one copy would sell here. Hardly one.” Correct response: Gertrude Stein. So you had to have read her enough to recognize the writing style- yikes.
    I thought it was actually kind of easy considering the timeframe they posted. Even not remembering anything about her writing from my Lit studies the timeframe really only fit her as the only writer that could match up w the quote

I thought it was actually kind of easy considering the timeframe they posted. Even not remembering anything about her writing from my Lit studies the timeframe really only fit her as the only writer that could match up w the quote
    I said Dorothy Parker, although she would have only been around 19 at the time, so probably too young.

What's with all the attorneys?

Funny this thread got bumped. I wanted to find it. How long has Mayim Bialik been hawking snake oil on TV???

Anyone watch tonight? Win number 12 for Mattea and she was the only person who even got to play Final Jeopardy!

The next Tournament of Champions should be exciting.

Ya! I saw the neg scores as the questions were running out and was kind of rooting for a solo matea final. those two knuckleheads didn’t even try to answer the final question and just took the L. lol

Mattea is entertaining, especially the way she answers some of the obvious questions. I keep getting distracted by her tiny hands, I noticed now I can't un-notice.

Quote Originally Posted by weibo View Post
    Mattea is entertaining, especially the way she answers some of the obvious questions. I keep getting distracted by her tiny hands, I noticed now I can't un-notice.
    I've noticed her hands, too.

She's 23 apparently. Kid's got some serious knowledge. I think what's going to hurt her in the tournament is her relative timidity. She never goes all-in.