Page 14 of 39 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
    Matt’s Run is done. Very impressive streak. He was a bit off today and opponent got the daily doubles. Both the challengers seemed pretty strong. Sad to see Matt go

Yeah, I didn't expect him to lose like that. Today just wasn't his day.

nothing against the guy, but I'm glad he's done- it was getting old imho how he would just roll over his competition. Last night's game was fun!

in case you are wondering, here's how he rates in the different GOAT categories (James H has the 10-highest single game winnings ever- wow): https://www.jeopardy.com/contestant-zone/hall-of-fame
    Last edited by Tele 'til You're Smelly; 10-13-2021 at 12:45 PM.

Matt was on Good Morning America middle of last week and my wife said.. He must have lost or he wouldn't be in New York right now. She made a fine point..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Jeopardy thread- LETITSNOW

James H has 5 (FIVE!) games where he won OVER 100K in a SINGLE game. I remember his big wins but that really stands out. Everyone has an off day, but how the hell did that guy ever lose if not on purpose???
    Last edited by mcski; 10-12-2021 at 11:11 AM.

Matt was impressive for sure, especially since he was dealing with different guest hosts and all of that drama, too.

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    James H has 5 (FIVE!) games where he won OVER 100K. In a single game. I remember his big wins but that really stands out. Everyone has an off day, but how did that guy ever lose if not on purpose???
    well his was a high risk, high reward game, so it's not surprising he lost when he did. If he had played the Ken Jennings style he probably would have lasted longer (and like Ken, made less)

I think Matt threw it. No way did he not know that the Alps aren't in Poland. And he didn't suddenly forget how to hit the buzzer. I think he had had enough. Computer PhD from Yale--1.5M is going to look like chump change in a couple of years.

Ya, it’s one thing to get the country wrong but Poland seems an inconceivable answer for a guy like Matt. Not that he had a chance to win at that point anyway being so far down

speculations abound that he took a dive: https://www.newsweek.com/jeopardy-fa...dy-phd-1637904

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I think Matt threw it. No way did he not know that the Alps aren't in Poland. And he didn't suddenly forget how to hit the buzzer. I think he had had enough. Computer PhD from Yale--1.5M is going to look like chump change in a couple of years.
    I could possibly imagine this happening on a Friday game, but why would he throw it on a Monday? They tape a week's worth of shows per day, after all. He's not going to bother getting to the studio and running through all the preliminaries and then just throw the first game of the day. I also can't imagine there's anyone who wouldn't take an average of $40k for a half hour's work.

I'm thinking James H definitely took a dive. Maybe Matt just had a sick weekend and was just not feeling great so just worked the one last show instead of the whole day of taping?

I do not see how he could have throne the game in just final Jeopardy- considering he was in 3rd place going into it and would have had to have the other 2 get it wrong. He maybe did not have his game that day, or the categories were not with him, or he just did not want to continue on and he did not perform his best in the first 2 rounds and allowed the others to go ahead of him in money going into Final...

I love how people say he threw it because he didn't bet it all in final. 1st and 2nd were tight- of course you don't bet it all. Your only hope is that they both miss it and bet most of what they had...

Ya, it’s one thing to get the country wrong but Poland seems an inconceivable answer for a guy like Matt. Not that he had a chance to win at that point anyway being so far down
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    I love how people say he threw it because he didn't bet it all in final. 1st and 2nd were tight- of course you don't bet it all. Your only hope is that they both miss it and bet most of what they had...
    Yeah--I've seen a number of 3rd placers win in Final when the other two were close and both bet the max. I base my feeling on how he played in the first two rounds. How does a guy with 30 something games under his belt get consistently beaten to the buzzer by not one but two newbs. And he missed a lot of easy clues.

Yeah--I've seen a number of 3rd placers win in Final when the other two were close and both bet the max. I base my feeling on how he played in the first two rounds. How does a guy with 30 something games under his belt get consistently beaten to the buzzer by not one but two newbs. And he missed a lot of easy clues.
    Here's the current champion (the John C Riley look-alike), who beat Matt, saying no way Matt took a dive: https://www.newsweek.com/jeopardy-ma...ampion-1638203

I could see throwing it by chilling out on the buzzer, and maybe he did that consciously or just tiredly, but no self-respecting trivia nerd would intentionally give wrong answers (not to mention that probably breaks their rules and you'd risk not getting your winnings). Maybe buzzing in on ones you didn't really know and guessing. The world may never know . . .

I'm sticking with hungover..

Quote Originally Posted by Tele 'til You're Smelly View Post
    I could see throwing it by chilling out on the buzzer, and maybe he did that consciously or just tiredly, but no self-respecting trivia nerd would intentionally give wrong answers (not to mention that probably breaks their rules and you'd risk not getting your winnings). Maybe buzzing in on ones you didn't really know and guessing.
    I think Matt has already said that he buzzed in lots of times before he's sure of the answer and hoped he could come up with it on the fly. I think he just ran into bad categories for him combined with just an off night with the buzzer. I think it also helped that the two other contestants were both good. I don't remember him having to face two legitimately good contenders before the game he lost.

How about that Terrence Trent-Darby like challenger that John C Reilly faced last night? I kind of wanted him to win because he was so freakin weird

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I don't remember him having to face two legitimately good contenders before the game he lost.
    You gotta wonder how many really good contestants got crushed by Matt, James, or Ken who would have otherwise won a few games themselves.

New rug:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1634240330.809088.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	384.4 KB 
ID:	389024
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

John C Reilly’s doppelgänger lost after a very impressive 12 game/250k run

I don’t see the lady that beat him having much staying power

John C Reilly’s doppelgänger lost after a very impressive 12 game/250k run

I don’t see the lady that beat him having much staying power
    I was glad to see Jonathan gone--he had a face you wanted to punch. And that was no lady, that was Bill Gates in drag. She only lasted one game, too bad, she was inoffensive.
    Name:  bill gates in drag.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  37.3 KB

John C Reilly’s doppelgänger
    That’s a better reference- i kept calling him “seth rogen’s cousin” but I think John C Reilly is closer

that was Bill Gates in drag
    Name:  bill gates in drag.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  37.3 KB
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by babybear View Post
    That’s a better reference- i kept calling him “seth rogen’s cousin” but I think John C Reilly is closer
    My wife thought he looked like Fortune Feimster.