Page 5 of 39 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    at least 100 Courics

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    What I heard is that Couric will be the next interim host after Jennings. I don't think they'll make a decision on a permanent host until after this current season ends.

I'd think she'd do a good job and I can imagine there'd be some pressure to install a woman as the permanent host.
    I hope they see how the interim hosts do before they announce a permanent one. Couric is polished for TV and I can see her do really well. This week is definitely bittersweet.

Those Trump fuckers tried to ruin my country yesterday AND had the gall to cause Jeopardy to be pre-empted, which is arguably just as bad.

There is a new ABC Prime time show called The Chase. Was on last night (guess it was on the Game Show Network and originally from GB) - Ken Jennings against 2 other contestants. Jeopardy‘s James Holzhauer, Ken Jennings, and Brad Rutter take turns serving as the Chaser. Ken was on last night with the other 2 sitting aside and occasionally commenting on the action and money.

Last night of original Alex's shows tonight as we all know.

How did everyone think Ken Jennings did hosting the first Alex-less Jeopardy last night? Overall I think he did well. He was very quick, but in some ways that's good because hopefully fewer clues will be left on the board. He just seemed slightly anxious, but I think he'll mellow out with experience. He certainly doesn't have the voice Alex did, and that could ultimately be his downfall. The show could decide to pick a professional for that reason.

Yeah that was my thought exactly- lacking a nice sonorous voice, but otherwise he did great.

I hope the new permanent host is allowed to help usher in some rule changes. I think I'd like to see it tried anyway where the lower-$ clues have to be cleared before you can choose a higher-$ clue. And I know it's heresy but get rid of the "form of a question" schtick- it made sense long ago when it really was answers and questions (rather than questions without question marks we are forced to call "clues"), but no longer

Quote Originally Posted by Tele 'til You're Smelly View Post
    Yeah that was my thought exactly- lacking a nice sonorous voice, but otherwise he did great.

I hope the new permanent host is allowed to help usher in some rule changes. I think I'd like to see it tried anyway where the lower-$ clues have to be cleared before you can choose a higher-$ clue. And I know it's heresy but get rid of the "form of a question" schtick- it made sense long ago when it really was answers and questions (rather than questions without question marks we are forced to call "clues"), but no longer
    I don't know if I agree with the rule change re: making players clear the lower dollar clues first. I'd have to think about it more but it takes some of the strategy out vs just pure knowledge which could end up being a bit more boring

I liked Ken- agree he was nervous and anxious but that will come as he does more. He was close to tearing up at the beginning- as we all were- but get that man a beta blocker for sh*t like that, please!
    But yeah- Katie Couric probably has a better voice than his nasal-y high voice. although I'd be a fan of the placement if he were to get the torch

Just read Aaron Rodgers will be a temp guest host too
    skid luxury

I like Ken, but wouldn’t hate to see an unknown get the job if it’s a good fit. Alex’s voice just WAS jeopardy. I think for the show to maintain its “comfy” feel in everyone’s nightly routine they need a more soothing voice than Jennings.

I’m in the contestant pool for another few months so I’ll do my best to adapt to whoever they pick!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dude chill its the padded room. -AKPM

Quote Originally Posted by Tele 'til You're Smelly View Post

I agree to a point... I think they should slightly alter some things to pay respect to Trebek, but also to bring Jeopardy into modern times. The producers should move away from the mid-round interviews after the first commercial break. With Trebek they were still awkward, but with Jennings they feel forced like he's just going through the motions. Get rid of them altogether, and open up more time for actual game play. The intros at the very beginning are plenty.

First night I was ready to throw Ken under the bus. Then I realized how frightening it must have been standing there in Alexes' shoes when the light came on. He has really calmed down and is doing a good job, quick with a quip to keep it interesting. I wouldn't mind if he became the permanent host at this point. Not sure about Katie, even though I had a crush on her during her morning show days, it seems like an odd fit for her.
    As far as the order of clues called goes, the original rule was top to bottom and was changed over time. I think it would be boring to go back to that or even dropping the form of a question.
    I like the interviews segments because they give us a glimpse of the actual person. The second interview covers something of interest to the contestant and sometimes changes my view of them. The $8 final wager made me laugh and I wouldn't have received that gift without the additional interview. Some of you think eliminating these parts of the show would add more time for questions. Rarely are there questions left except when there are contestants that seem clueless, like one of Alexes' last show, are you thinking another column of answers?
    The new champ is good but too conservative in FJ.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

did you all catch the "H&R Block" answer/question in Final Jeopardy last night? Pretty hilarious https://popculture.com/tv-shows/news...-during-final/

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    I agree to a point... I think they should slightly alter some things to pay respect to Trebek, but also to bring Jeopardy into modern times. The producers should move away from the mid-round interviews after the first commercial break. With Trebek they were still awkward, but with Jennings they feel forced like he's just going through the motions. Get rid of them altogether, and open up more time for actual game play. The intros at the very beginning are plenty.
    Here's a different take on the interviews. https://www.newyorker.com/culture/cu...dy-contestants

I really don't like Ken. His vocal tone is off putting. It was pace and tone but he seems to have pace figured out a bit better. His tone grates on me and sometimes sounds condescending to the players.

Quote Originally Posted by weibo View Post
    I really don't like Ken. His vocal tone is off putting. It was pace and tone but he seems to have pace figured out a bit better. His tone grates on me and sometimes sounds condescending to the players.
    I think it's impossible to not sound a bit condescending when you're telling someone they're wrong. I recall people saying the same thing about Alex.

He certainly doesn't have an announcer's voice, but it doesn't bother me. I think he's doing a good job. I'd like to see a few others, but if Ken ultimately gets the job I'm happy with that.

Doesn't sound like he has a real job so he might be available long term. I think they'll go with a more telegenic host, I'm betting on a woman.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Doesn't sound like he has a real job so he might be available long term. I think they'll go with a more telegenic host, I'm betting on a woman.
    He has been a bit of a celebrity doing Game Show appearances and probably does not have to work on projects after his Jeopardy winnings. As I mentioned he has been on The Chase, but the schedules could probably easily work because of the way they do Jeopardy taping of many shows on the same day back to back.
    Last edited by RShea; 01-22-2021 at 06:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Here's a different take on the interviews. https://www.newyorker.com/culture/cu...dy-contestants
    Regardless, they're still awkward and mostly uninteresting, especially with Ken at the helm. I'd rather watch another commercial in most cases.

i'm looking forward to the aaron rodgers hosted shows.
    swing your fucking sword.

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    i'm looking forward to the aaron rodgers hosted shows.
    I wanna see Cheech host. Marin is a master. comedy and acting chops.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2020/1...r-full-circle/

go, Essay
    Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.

Too bad Grouch isn't still with us. A smart ass host who teases and heckles the contestants would be a nice change, since no one is going to be another Alex Trebek.

The blond lady from last week was nerdy hot.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    The blond lady from last week was nerdy hot.
    I thought she was a brunette, won a couple days in a row... I said the same thing to a buddy last night.

I should have checked here first.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by willywhit View Post
    I wanna see Cheech host. Marin is a master. comedy and acting chops.
    I agree Cheech would be great. Probably a little old to consider him for the permanent gig, though.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    I thought she was a brunette,
    Could have been. I don't really remember. Kinda looked like Elizabeth Shue with glasses.

Loved the tie and tie-breaker tonight. Current champ is not very cuddly, but he came to win.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    Could have been. I don't really remember. Kinda looked like Elizabeth Shue with glasses.

Loved the tie and tie-breaker tonight. Current champ is not very cuddly, but he came to win.
    there's a website that has all the intel for every show, including pics, etc. I'll see if I can find her.
    tie breaker was cool tonight. Brian Chang is kind of a tool, and a lawyer. I don't tend to make fun of speech impediments but he kinda sounds like Jimmy.

Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.