Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Yeah, there are! That Victor airport is a bit of a model for my dream set up. There is another fly-in community between Clifton and Delta that is pretty sweet. I want the shop/hanger/apartment with the paramotor/ultralight field out back. Again, my wife isn't into it as a primary residence. I am considering operating it as a rental property (VRBO getaway/ranchette) and or contractor storage initially. I've got my eye on a couple parcels.
    Airbnb for traveling pilots and/or enthusiasts could play well. Imagine being able to fly your little cessna or bonanza or whatever up to Victor, park it in a hanger and stay in the airbnb 2br/2ba in the back. Hangar full of pool tables, pingpong, planes, a helicopter, trampoline, whatever. Ski Jackson or Targhee with a short dive.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Yeah, there are! That Victor airport is a bit of a model for my dream set up. There is another fly-in community between Clifton and Delta that is pretty sweet. I want the shop/hanger/apartment with the paramotor/ultralight field out back. Again, my wife isn't into it as a primary residence. I am considering operating it as a rental property (VRBO getaway/ranchette) and or contractor storage initially. I've got my eye on a couple parcels.
    Roommate's dad had a place up there. It was a pretty sweet setup. 3-4 beds, kitchen, fireplace, hot tub, and a big hanger with some flying toys in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    If it flies, floats, or fucks, rent it. Cheaper in the long run.
    Wish you told me that BEFORE I got married.

Here's a pic from yesterday morning. It's always exciting when one of these guys screams into the pattern.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0796.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	294722

So the airport is actually in Driggs, not Victor. I bought a piece of land for a hangar, and I'm finding the hangar part is a little more anonying than I had anticipated. A local steel company quoted me like $200k just for the slab and bare shell (50x50x24). I considered that a no-quote. Thankfully, the girlfriend is able to be my project engineer, so I'm doing a much cooler structure for way less money.

MEL/INST is a nice tool in the box, but I don’t have the passion.

FIL is a 10k Hour aviation nut. Hanger with apartment, PA-24 and every toy imaginable.
    89 years old, still has medical.

Quote Originally Posted by mangle View Post
    Here's a pic from yesterday morning. It's always exciting when one of these guys screams into the pattern.

So the airport is actually in Driggs, not Victor. I bought a piece of land for a hangar, and I'm finding the hangar part is a little more anonying than I had anticipated. A local steel company quoted me like $200k just for the slab and bare shell (50x50x24). I considered that a no-quote. Thankfully, the girlfriend is able to be my project engineer, so I'm doing a much cooler structure for way less money.
    Nice! And Warbirdies has a great happy hour, especially when one certain badass skier-chica is working. A client of our private car service is building a hanger in the Alpine airpark. Also has a house in the Sporting Club so likely has a different budget to work with...His pilot is stoked as he's going to build a tiny condo in it for him to use...Both pilots I've hauled from that airport were a bit sketched landing there, not a lot of Plan B's...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

I started last July and passed my private checkride in November. I was planning to do an instrument this summer until the FBO lost an engine in the plane I had been renting and would have used. This month, I’ve been flying a Husky and working on my tailwheel endorsement.

Our little airport is a whole lot of fun. We have a 7300’x100’ runway with a 2000’ grass strip off to the side at 6300’ and right next to the mountains. There is a fleet of privately owned jet warbirds. Yesterday, there were two L-39s and an A-4 flying around.

Strangely enough, you can buy hangar lots (no lease from the municipality) and you can build an apartment inside a hangar.
    Can you actually rent the Husky and go somewhere or is it dual instruction only?

Quote Originally Posted by idahospud View Post
    Can you actually rent the Husky and go somewhere or is it dual instruction only?
    Husky is dual only. Insurance and all that.

I've got a few hours in a Husky flying around AK. Pretty incredible, and humbling to fly over massive mountains and glaciers in a flying lawn chair. Friend who owns the Husky has floats for it too. He uses it for hunting on islands around his home and straps the deer to the floats to fly them back home.

I’m a big fan of the Husky. It’s way more fun to fly than a 172. I did my first few wheel landings Thursday. Bringing the tail down on rollout is exciting when you’re holding aileron and rudder for a crosswind.

A crying shame! There's a place here that's got a Super Cub with the same rules. It's always struck me as a nice way for the guy who owns the place to help offset the cost of indirectly owning such a cool plane.