Thread: SRAM RED Road Q

SRAM RED Road Q

I know road riding isn't popular here but thought I'd ask just the same.... Does anyone here have experience with SRAM RED on their road bike? Thoughts? Shimano is all I've ever ridden but I'm looking at a bike equipped with a sram red 10 speed set up. Haven't test ridden it yet.

Thanks.

"Some folks may have the luxury to hold out for “the perfect.” But a lot of Americans are hurting right now and they can’t wait for that." - Hillary Clinton

Used red for years. Really liked it and the more mechanical feel with a hard click that you get with every shift. Will take awhile to get used to up and down on the same side but it’s no biggie.

^^^Agree. I think the Shimano brakes are a little better.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

I like it. Had sram 2x10 on my first road bike and swapped my cx bike from shimano 2x10 to sram 1x11. First click goes down the cassette, go past that click to the next one (or two, or three) to go up to easier gears.

Didn't notice much change in braking from rival levers and force calipers to my current dura-ace levers and calipers.

Didn't notice much change in braking from rival levers and force calipers to my current dura-ace levers and calipers.
    I made the choice to go with Dura Ace over RED on looks, feel and reviews. RED brakes may actually be better. I do like the black of DA better, though.

I’m thinking maybe hold out for 2x11? Thanks for the feedback.

I tried double tap and didn't like it and sold the bike. Dura Ace is what I run these days. Campy was the best when I had it but not cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post
    I’m thinking maybe hold out for 2x11? Thanks for the feedback.
    Not a bad idea, 11s is what, 6-7 years old now, so a 2x10 bike is older than that. I don't know what you're looking to spend but like 1000-1500 gets you a pretty nice used road bike. Or even something brand new. My lbs was just doing something like 50% off all in stock 2018 or older road bikes. That's like $1000 for a caad 12 with ultegra.

Even a 2-3 year old really high end road bike isn't going to be that much. I paid like 1/3 of retail price for my then 2 year old road bike.

I'd hold out or upspend or whatever for eTap. I love everything about it.

Quote Originally Posted by jamal View Post
    Not a bad idea, 11s is what, 6-7 years old now, so a 2x10 bike is older than that. I don't know what you're looking to spend but like 1000-1500 gets you a pretty nice used road bike. Or even something brand new. My lbs was just doing something like 50% off all in stock 2018 or older road bikes. That's like $1000 for a caad 12 with ultegra.

Even a 2-3 year old really high end road bike isn't going to be that much. I paid like 1/3 of retail price for my then 2 year old road bike.
    I think the frame is 2-3 years old, looks sparkly new. The SRAM looks to be minty as well. Did they stop selling the 10 speed when the 11 came out?

My favorite way to buy. Find what your're looking for, used by someone that hardly used it, for a fraction of the price. Probably msrp'd $4-5k, he's asking $2500. Was thinking of throwing $2k at him with the idea of meeting somewhere in the middle, but, I'll probably pass on this one and look for 11's.

@Plugboots, I'm sure there's some nice technology out there but I am old school when it comes to one of the greatest inventions this planet has ever seen .

Side rant: wtf is going on with people spending $8-$10k+ on a (road) bicycle? You need to be preapproved to test one out? Meet with the finance guy who will offer terms?

You can have it built to your spec.

Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post
    I think the frame is 2-3 years old, looks sparkly new. The SRAM looks to be minty as well. Did they stop selling the 10 speed when the 11 came out?

My favorite way to buy. Find what your're looking for, used by someone that hardly used it, for a fraction of the price. Probably msrp'd $4-5k, he's asking $2500. Was thinking of throwing $2k at him with the idea of meeting somewhere in the middle, but, I'll probably pass on this one and look for 11's.
    I think the last year of sram red 10 speed was like 2012 or 2013. So that's kind of old stuff, sure the frame is that new? does it have nice carbon wheels? I got a pretty good deal from the owner of my bike shop, but still 2500 got me a 2 year old hi-mod cannondale supersix evo with 2x11 dura-ace di2 and decent wheels.

The other thing is an older rim brake road bike has pretty limited tire clearance A tire that actually measures 26-27mm is about all that will fit in my frame and I find myself wishing for a little more room. Up to date road wheels and tires wind up more in the 28-30mm range and tubeless. That makes long days and the occasional dirt and gravel a lot more comfortable.

For 2000-2500 I think you can get a lot nicer and newer bike.

I don't know your size but here's some stuff on pro's closet

https://www.theproscloset.com/produc...56cm-bike-2018
    https://www.theproscloset.com/produc...ike-2017-large
    https://www.theproscloset.com/produc...bike-2018-54cm

Or offer that guy more like 1500.
    Last edited by jamal; 09-18-2019 at 10:54 AM.

I’m running the axs mtb version and really like it. Batteries last forever on a charge. Probably longer on the road version as they use the same battery