Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    I’m interested in the current 189 Friend, as a replacement for 2013 Obsetheds.

Quote Originally Posted by AEV View Post
    I’m interested in the current 189 Friend, as a replacement for 2013 Obsetheds.
    I will say this - coming off of that Obsethed, that Blackops 118 is quite incredible. Just as playful (if not more), more stable at speed, and better in every condition of snow.

My only two complaints are: top sheets chips pretty easy, and I wish the tails were a tad more tapered to allow slashing more easily.
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

www.experiencedgear.net

Quote Originally Posted by rfconroy View Post
    I will say this - coming off of that Obsethed, that Blackops 118 is quite incredible. Just as playful (if not more), more stable at speed, and better in every condition of snow.

My only two complaints are: top sheets chips pretty easy, and I wish the tails were a tad more tapered to allow slashing more easily.
    I want to try the Black Ops too. The 184cm true length is a bit short for me. I would still like probably, but waiting for 190cm length.

I was riding Wildcat/Bibbys for a while, and they’re great, but they aren’t as playful as Obsetheds are.

The Blister (Cy’s) review of the Friend says it’s as stable and the old Bibby, and more playful. Sounds like the new 189 Friend could fill the spots for Bibby/Obsethed

Quote Originally Posted by AEV View Post
    I want to try the Black Ops too. The 184cm true length is a bit short for me. I would still like probably, but waiting for 190cm length.

I was riding Wildcat/Bibbys for a while, and they’re great, but they aren’t as playful as Obsetheds are.

The Blister (Cy’s) review of the Friend says it’s as stable and the old Bibby, and more playful. Sounds like the new 189 Friend could fill the spots for Bibby/Obsethed
    Welp - if you're in the Seattle area and have a BSL around 305 I'd let you take some laps on both the Friends and BOs, assuming I've still got them by next season.

www.experiencedgear.net

Welp - if you're in the Seattle area and have a BSL around 305 I'd let you take some laps on both the Friends and BOs, assuming I've still got them by next season.
    My foot is too big and I rarely go up that way, but thanks anyway

What size Obsethed were you riding?

If I am remembering correctly I was on the 179CM obsethed which was about ~2-3CM shorter than my 186 BO118 in actual length

www.experiencedgear.net

I ain't AEV, but I'd take you up on that BO demo. Happy to reciprocate.

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    I ain't AEV, but I'd take you up on that BO demo. Happy to reciprocate.
    Shoot me a PM this upcoming fall/winter, we'll get this done!

www.experiencedgear.net

If I am remembering correctly I was on the 179CM obsethed which was about ~2-3CM shorter than my 186 BO118 in actual length
    I was on the 189, and I'm still thinking the 186 Blackops will be as stable

Long shot: I’ve got a random itch to scratch for more J Skis and can’t find anything online. If anyone has a lead on a pair of 184cm Allplays with the Bob Ross topsheets from last season, PM me please.

Alright, couldn’t find the old Bob Ross Allplays. But I did snag some used 186cm Metals last week. Ever since the 2008-2014 period when I skied metal Katanas and Rossi Sickles at Alta and the Bird, I have wanted to try a Sickle type ski with a titanal layup like the Katana.

I’m sure there are a few other examples outside the Metal (Gunsmoke, Mothership, Hotshot… what am I missing?) but not many.

The J Skis family resemblance of the Metal to the revised Vacation is still strong. The Metals have a wider, less tapered tip but a similar shaped tail. The Metals definitely hand flex stiffer than the Vacations tip and tail, and stiffen up sooner than the Vacations as you move towards the bindings. The extremities of the tip and tail on the Metal flex softer than the Sickles however.

Going to mount them up around -4 cm of true center, will report back once I have some days on them.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5416947C-8788-47C3-965D-84E860D4ECF7.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	539.6 KB 
ID:	391598

Quote Originally Posted by DGamms View Post
    Alright, couldn’t find the old Bob Ross Allplays. But I did snag some used 186cm Metals last week. Ever since the 2008-2014 period when I skied metal Katanas and Rossi Sickles at Alta and the Bird, I have wanted to try a Sickle type ski with a titanal layup like the Katana.

I’m sure there are a few other examples outside the Metal (Gunsmoke, Mothership, Hotshot… what am I missing?) but not many.

The J Skis family resemblance of the Metal to the revised Vacation is still strong. The Metals have a wider, less tapered tip but a similar shaped tail. The Metals definitely hand flex stiffer than the Vacations tip and tail, and stiffen up sooner than the Vacations as you move towards the bindings. The extremities of the tip and tail on the Metal flex softer than the Sickles however.

Going to mount them up around -4 cm of true center, will report back once I have some days on them.

Metals are quite possibly the best all round ski I've ever used. I think you'll really enjoy them

Sent from my SM-G960U using TGR Forums mobile app

Has anyone tried the redesigned Masterblaster 99mm wide? Looking to pick one up.

Blister has their flash reviews up now for the new Masterblaster and Fast Forward. Any bigger dudes on the east coast getting early season icy fake snow laps on either of them? I love the blister guys but I need to know how these skis handle someone who is 200 lbs on a sheet of ice.

Quote Originally Posted by CouloirInTheLines View Post
    Blister has their flash reviews up now for the new Masterblaster and Fast Forward. Any bigger dudes on the east coast getting early season icy fake snow laps on either of them? I love the blister guys but I need to know how these skis handle someone who is 200 lbs on a sheet of ice.
    6'2", 200+, east coaster.. Can confirm Masterblaster can handle it all confidently

Thanks. What size are you on? This year’s MB or older?

Sickles were first pair of skis I truly fell in love with. I want to say the Metal is better in every way, but that could be recency bias speaking. Regardless, love mine dearly.

Yeah, I’m excited to get a few more days on them. So far they feel about as I expected coming from the Vacations: a bit heavier, a bit more damp at speed in variable, a bit stiffer (and a bit harder to butter, but still doable), a bit slower to spin.

Hoping to A/B them vs the Sickles at Alta later this year, still have my 12 yo 186cm Sickles in the rotation…

Yeah, I’m excited to get a few more days on them. So far they feel about as I expected coming from the Vacations: a bit heavier, a bit more damp at speed in variable, a bit stiffer (and a bit harder to butter, but still doable), a bit slower to spin.

Hoping to A/B them vs the Sickles at Alta later this year, still have my 12 yo 186cm Sickles in the rotation…
    amazing. i parted with mine a couple years back for a song. they are with a good buddy who only owned backcountry skis and wanted something for inbounds

I had a pair of the last edition of the Masterblaster. I liked them and skied them for a couple of years. They are a tad on the soft side and ski short. So go up not down if you are between sizes on Jskis. I had a pair of the last iteration of the Metals for 3 days of skiing and sent them back. The tail was way to soft for my liking. Perhaps that has been addressed. Again they also skied short.

Quote Originally Posted by Quandary View Post
    I had a pair of the last edition of the Masterblaster. I liked them and skied them for a couple of years. They are a tad on the soft side and ski short. So go up not down if you are between sizes on Jskis. I had a pair of the last iteration of the Metals for 3 days of skiing and sent them back. The tail was way to soft for my liking. Perhaps that has been addressed. Again they also skied short.
    J Skis are playful first, chargers second (even the Metal), so that makes sense. What did you end up on

Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    J Skis are playful first, chargers second (even the Metal), so that makes sense. What did you end up on
    The JSkis were part of a bigger quiver. Currently from narrow to wide Fischer RC One 86 GT (175), Praxis #4 9D8 (185), K2 Mindbender 108TI (179), Praxis #4 RX (184), ON3P asym Billy Goat (184).

I would like to give the Fastforward, Masterblaster and Hotshot a try but I think unless I really intend to buy I don't want to order and send back as I think that is taking advantage of JSkis. It will be interesting to see what people think as more real world reviews comein.

Anyone in here have any time on Slackers? Just picked some 188s up off here to use as an easier 50/50 daily driver type ski for days in tighter terrain/trees/pillow zones.

Waiting on Tectons to mount them but the hand flex feels nice. I thought they would be a bit of a noodle but they are quite stiff underfoot and further into the tail than I expected. Tips are a nice medium flex up through the rocker line with a smooth transition into underfoot.

They measure around 2000g on my scales as well which seems about right for something that can handle double duty. Hopefully I can get on them soon and update with some thoughts as reviews on them seem limited.

Just got done with Day 1 on some new-to-me The Metals 187s. If Hotshots are improved versions of those, I'm sold! And now I'm intrigued on everything J skis, especially The Friend.

I wanted a more playful softer ski for hardpack days, as my 191 Blizzard Rustler 11s and my 191 K2 Mindbender 99ti were good but not great on firm days. The Metals are kinda weird/unique at first but they are different in a really fun way AND damp enough to haul ass on groomers and hardpack. I mean really haul ass. And surprisingly also do short turns on groomers, on hardpack bumpy narrow awkward rounded chutes. I'm impressed. Skied a few inches of pow on them and could see the slarvy/surfy potential there too. Didn't hit any cliffs because I'm afraid my old ass would break in these firm conditions.

I completely disagree with some (not all) reviews of The Metal here, but I would need to see these people ski to understand where they are coming from. Maybe the honeymoon will wear off and I'll get critical at some point but bottom line - these are a great compliment to what I already own, I am not saying they are not going to be my "do-it-all" everyday ski.

Agreed, the suspension on the Metals is excellent. I think maybe the old titanal Katana is the only ski I’ve personally tried that feels close in terms of muting out rough snow at speed. But the Metals are different from the OG Katana given the Metals more forward mount point, shorter turn radius, increased tip/tail taper, and their relatively softer tips/tails.

Overall, I’m really enjoying mine for all mountain skiing. Playful charger for sure.