Page 164 of 165 FirstFirst ... 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 LastLast
Results 4,076 to 4,100 of 4118
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Fernley? Sun Valley? Dayton?

no clue. I've only been to the area once as an adult. I was on a bus trip and just walked around near the bus station for a few hours. All I really remember is that it was sunny AF and watching some dude kayak under a bridge in the middle of town. I'm just looking at it because I left Denver when the pandemic started and don't really want to move back. I have an Ikon pass thanks to this forum, and ski a lot of backcountry, so I'm basically looking at Front Range-ish, SLC, or somewhere near Tahoe. I'm leaning towards SLC or Reno because the skiing is closer to town than in Denver, and I can't find even slightly reasonable rent in any of the mountain towns in Colorado. The pandemic killed my career, so I'm probably looking at a ski or bike related job while I try to learn a new set of skills like web dev or something I haven't figured out yet. I'd very much prefer to be in a small mountain town, but it is what it is.

^^ You don't know where your job offer near Reno is located?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

IDK the 7th is looking like a good option for an early season stonegrind.
    Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    Claiming my limb now: skiing my driveway on the 16th. On snow. Should we start a pot?

^^ You don't know where your job offer near Reno is located?
    pretty sure it fell through, as keeps happening these days. In the last few months, I've had several job offers, which were then rescinded due to changing budgets, decisions to downsize the company, etc. Or they've been put off perpetually due to resignations in HR or other things.

Small mountain town, Ikon Pass, touring = Mammoth/June, IMO
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by blackalps View Post
    pretty sure it fell through, as keeps happening these days. In the last few months, I've had several job offers, which were then rescinded due to changing budgets, decisions to downsize the company, etc. Or they've been put off perpetually due to resignations in HR or other things.
    Argh. Frustrating.

If you have any questions about living in / near Reno, shoot.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    do tell. I'm all ears.

Argh. Frustrating.

If you have any questions about living in / near Reno, shoot.
    thanks. it is frustrating. I was 90% sure I had a remote job making around $90k a couple weeks ago, had three rounds of interviews that went really well. They set up a zoom meeting to talk through their offer. An hour before the meeting, they cancelled and said "we've decided to slow down our hiring process, but you're still our top candidate." followed up a week later telling me still their top candidate and wanted to make sure I was still interested. I looked at the job listing again a few days ago and they had edited it to not be a remote position anymore, so I think they probably just changed their minds on having it remote and consider me a remote only candidate. Irritating.

anyway, I have lots of questions at the moment, mostly just trying to figure out from afar if I'll like it or not. Might fly out there this week and check it out, might just get in my truck and drive and pick up my stuff from Denver and figure it out when I get there.

Yeah blackalps, come be my neighbor. I'm ditching Denver as well.
    ((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

Quote Originally Posted by thefrush View Post
    Yeah blackalps, come be my neighbor. I'm ditching Denver as well.
    :hifive: is this the frush that either does or used to mod the co backcountry fb group?

I was 90% sure I had a remote job making around $90k a couple weeks ago,
    This is the bootfitting thread, but I know little of that topic, so here goes. Pretty sure 90k is way better than any bootfitter or ski/bike tech job. Assume they are honest that you are their top candidate. Try to make it work. Take some of that "new start in Reno" boldness/initiative and apply it to getting that job, or at least get the project. Find out what their hangup is and see if there's a way to satisfy it. An old co-worker left his job at the salt mine, and hired back as a contractor. He found some contracting-as-a-service company that handles HR/benefits/etc, and hired back at the same salt mine on contract, for more take home money and no boss.

A little bit of legwork now, and you could be in a great remote job when snow flies. Second the idea to consider Mammoth. They've been smoked out by a wildfire for a month - maybe some local left and has a place for you.

do tell. I'm all ears.
    for starters Reno is neither a mountain town nor a small town. It is a small Denver. For Tahoe, there is touring on the North Shore, but it is better and much more vast here on the south (they'll try to claim Jakes as North or West Shore but get a map dammit ;-) ).
    Getting from north to south isn't easy when you want to in the winter so you'd need to be North shore for Ikon Pass. North shore also has the small mountain towns (Tahoma, Tahoe City, Carnelian Bay, Alpine Meadows and Olympic Village). If you can score a place in your price range that's the best, but it's not in mine as someone moving new to town).

Mammoth June has the Ikon Mountains, fantastic touring and the small mountain feel (especially June)

Quote Originally Posted by LongShortLong View Post
    This is the bootfitting thread, but I know little of that topic, so here goes. Pretty sure 90k is way better than any bootfitter or ski/bike tech job. Assume they are honest that you are their top candidate. Try to make it work. Take some of that "new start in Reno" boldness/initiative and apply it to getting that job, or at least get the project. Find out what their hangup is and see if there's a way to satisfy it. An old co-worker left his job at the salt mine, and hired back as a contractor. He found some contracting-as-a-service company that handles HR/benefits/etc, and hired back at the same salt mine on contract, for more take home money and no boss.

A little bit of legwork now, and you could be in a great remote job when snow flies. Second the idea to consider Mammoth. They've been smoked out by a wildfire for a month - maybe some local left and has a place for you.

sorry, I thought it was the Tahoe thread. I'm aware of the salary difference, I usually make around $85k but have been a ski/bike tech between career jobs, and made around $16/hr. Like I said, my career and my entire industry tanked in the pandemic, and won't be coming back until the pandemic is under control. Either way, it doesn't matter because I looked this morning and they took the job posting down. I'm about 95% sure they hired someone local. They're in Albany, there's no way I'm moving back to the east coast. I'd rather live in my 4runner and bump chairs than be stuck out there again. anyway, it's a moot point. moving on to other options.

for starters Reno is neither a mountain town nor a small town. It is a small Denver. For Tahoe, there is touring on the North Shore, but it is better and much more vast here on the south (they'll try to claim Jakes as North or West Shore but get a map dammit ;-) ).
    Getting from north to south isn't easy when you want to in the winter so you'd need to be North shore for Ikon Pass. North shore also has the small mountain towns (Tahoma, Tahoe City, Carnelian Bay, Alpine Meadows and Olympic Village). If you can score a place in your price range that's the best, but it's not in mine as someone moving new to town).

Mammoth June has the Ikon Mountains, fantastic touring and the small mountain feel (especially June)

yeah I don't think Reno is a small mountain town. I was saying that the mountain towns don't seem feasible right now so Reno is a compromise. At least it's smaller than Denver. Good to know about the touring. I looked on all the usual sites and didn't see any rentals available anywhere near Mammoth or June, will definitely keep that in mind, though.

I'd rather live in my 4runner and bump chairs than be stuck out there again.
    in mammoth that's actually an option with all the BLM land around. A cold option though

yeah i'm not entirely serious. I've slept in my 4runner to catch pow days at JH, Alta/Bird, etc. It's doable if you sleep fully clothed and have a lot of layers and blankets, but not something I'd want to do long term.

Wait there’s jobs that pay $90k and you don’t even have to go to work??

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Blaster View Post
    IDK the 7th is looking like a good option for an early season stonegrind.
    Pretty sure the 7th is a dusting up high at best, with a few sprinkles lower. Still not convinced either. The pattern is very disorganized.

In the interest of unjinxing the season, I am going dry until it snows 6" at my house. I didn't know that October was a whole month devoted to teetotalling but it was definitely dry and I'm starting now (maybe exceptions for special events). #NoDrinkingSierrasUntilSnowInTheSierras
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    Pretty sure the 7th is a dusting up high at best, with a few sprinkles lower. Still not convinced either. The pattern is very disorganized.

In the interest of unjinxing the season, I am going dry until it snows 6" at my house. I didn't know that October was a whole month devoted to teetotalling but it was definitely dry and I'm starting now (maybe exceptions for special events). #NoDrinkingSierrasUntilSnowInTheSierras
    Wouldn't it be easier to just wash your car every day and post sexy pics of women who don't know their picture is being taken?

Lol at calling Alpine Meadows a "town"

More like a community.

I would think if the resorts get/stay open, there will be a lot of mediocre job openings in the ski towns and at the resorts from the lack of j1/h2b workers coming this season.

The Official 19/20 Tahoe Ski Snowboard Thread. Plus bonus Bootfitting Recs!

Quote Originally Posted by Robojerry View Post

Skin cutting at Bobo’s.

Quote Originally Posted by heckacali View Post
    Lol at calling Alpine Meadows a "town"

More like a community.
    my bad. Alpine Meadows is a 'community' with a small mountain.

Quote Originally Posted by splitter View Post
    Skin cutting at Bobo’s.
    what kind of technical and/or religious education is required for that?

Quote Originally Posted by Robojerry View Post

i mean, if you consider sitting in front of a computer 40+ hours a week in your house with someone keeping tabs on you through various video/chat services and having to show proof of your productivity "not going to work", then yes.

my bad. Alpine Meadows is a 'community' with a small mountain.
    Yes. Alpine Meadows sucks, stay away.
    All the really good skiers should go to Squaw.