Page 26 of 165 FirstFirst ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast
    vail is NOT opening the wood slowly. it simply isn't happening. comparing what happens there to what happens at rose is redonk. rose is next to a major market with plenty of people willing to drive there to ski a green run. rose can use cheap electricity to make snow. kirkwood isn't and can't. the backside will open by mid month just like it always does. for now they have 6 and 10 completely open. Pretty much the best gig going.

although
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by dhklauer View Post
    Anyone have info on this?
    Snowmobiling is not a crime.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    vail is NOT opening the wood slowly. it simply isn't happening. comparing what happens there to what happens at rose is redonk. rose is next to a major market with plenty of people willing to drive there to ski a green run. rose can use cheap electricity to make snow. kirkwood isn't and can't. the backside will open by mid month just like it always does. for now they have 6 and 10 completely open. Pretty much the best gig going.

although
    My theory is that Vail can hire better data scientists than Rose. Those scientists analyzed all that wonderful data that Vail collects and determined that putting money into opening Kirkwood early doesn’t make financial sense. I would bet that if Rose had the same quality of data and data scientists they would come to the same conclusion about Mt. Rose, especially with the Reno area growing so fast and Mt. Rose having the highest base elevation in Tahoe.

Oh and an impressive run under the gondy. While it was thin at the bottom there was more snow than I thought. Gotta get out there but on travel...

The Official 19/20 Tahoe Ski Snowboard Thread. Plus bonus Bootfitting Recs!

Mt Rose snow scientists are second to none

them’s fighting words
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

One of Gimpy from today

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1057_crop.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	1,007.1 KB 
ID:	305558

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    Mt Rose snow scientists are second to none

them’s fighting words
    Damn straight! Rose hires snow scientists and Vail hires data scientists. Unlike Vail, I wouldn’t be surprised if Mt. Rose couldn’t tell you how much vert you did in a day or how many lifts you rode. And that’s just the data that Vail collects that they choose to share with their customers...

Uniform silky wind buff was found on mellow S facing terrain. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03274.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	305561

Quote Originally Posted by hercule33 View Post
    Damn straight! Rose hires snow scientists and Vail hires data scientists. Unlike Vail, I wouldn’t be surprised if Mt. Rose couldn’t tell you how much vert you did in a day or how many lifts you rode. And that’s just the data that Vail collects that they choose to share with their customers...
    Fuck you.

My friend was the snow scientist at kirkwood and is now the snow scientist’s boss. Several people on the forum know him.

Quote Originally Posted by hercule33 View Post
    My theory is that Vail can hire better data scientists than Rose. Those scientists analyzed all that wonderful data that Vail collects and determined that putting money into opening Kirkwood early doesn’t make financial sense. I would bet that if Rose had the same quality of data and data scientists they would come to the same conclusion about Mt. Rose, especially with the Reno area growing so fast and Mt. Rose having the highest base elevation in Tahoe.

Oh and an impressive run under the gondy. While it was thin at the bottom there was more snow than I thought. Gotta get out there but on travel...
    I hate Vail as much as the next guy, but you need to let it go. Seems pretty obvious they've done a solid job with Kirkwood so far this season (if you want to bitch about early closures we are all with you). And you can't compare opening that mountain to Mt. Rose - the terrain is a hell of a lot more complex and there's simply more to manage and prepare.

Also: don't confuse / conflate the assholes in Broomfield with the people actually doing their jobs at the resort.

^^^^^This. KW has opened this season as well as it has in the last 18 years. It snowed, they opened. 6 opened a few days later. Then 10 and 7. Fucking awesome. Backside is cool and all, but there are plenty of winter days I never even bother leaving 6,7,10. You don’t need it. Hey will
    Probably have it opened for this weekend. On schedule. Boom.

the best part about the backside is the 45 minute lift line and no cell service to warn anybody away

BACKSIDE'S OPEN!!

KT opens tomorrow (upper portion looked caked) but decent slide debris all the way down Chute 75.

Took the Tram and Silverado down low needs more snow to get that cat track put in down to the lift but the upper portion looked dreamy.

it's interesting that SAC is calling the buried SH an "unusual storm slab." I hope peeps are reading the text of the report. hopefully the lingering instability stops lingering soon; however, these little storms this week may not be that great as resolving the current SH problems....

it's unusual because we don't usually deal with buried surface hoar 'round these parts. I think it's more of a problem up north since they stayed a little colder with the last storm whereas it got rained on more down here (and the sac guys haven't been finding it). The current surface hoar forming should get eaten by the rains come friday if the high temps and humidity haven't from thursday.

it's unusual because we don't usually deal with buried surface hoar 'round these parts. I think it's more of a problem up north since they stayed a little colder with the last storm whereas it got rained on more down here (and the sac guys haven't been finding it). The current surface hoar forming should get eaten by the rains come friday if the high temps and humidity haven't from thursday.
    Except we've kind of been dealing with it somewhat regularly the last few years so it doesn't feel all that unusual anymore. 2 years ago it happened three separate times in one month, IIRC.

I agree, anything tallac and north is essentially north lake/truckee.

I would have thought that they'd be calling it a PWL, but maybe it requires more time and reactivity to be considered "persistent."

geographically, you don't even get Homewood, but we let you have it anyway.

maybe once it survives a second loading it becomes persistent?

KT laps today made a great start to the season.

Sent from my SM-N960U using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Except we've kind of been dealing with it somewhat regularly the last few years so it doesn't feel all that unusual anymore. 2 years ago it happened three separate times in one month, IIRC.
    Given the valley fog in the 89 corridor and in truckee in the evening post the last couple AR events seeing these SH problems shouldnt be surprising...

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Fuck you.

My friend was the snow scientist at kirkwood and is now the snow scientist’s boss. Several people on the forum know him.
    Dude, take it easy. It was a joke. I was referencing Vail and the folks at Broomfield not Kirkwood. No doubt Kirkwood has some good snow scientists but sans Vail, I doubt they would have access to good data scientists. Difference is that data scientists deal with maximizing profits not improving skiing. That was the point that I was trying to make.

The Official 19/20 Tahoe Ski Snowboard Thread. Plus bonus Bootfitting Recs!

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Also: don't confuse / conflate the assholes in Broomfield with the people actually doing their jobs at the resort.
    I don’t think I have. If you read my previous posts they complain about Vail (read Broomfield) rather than Kirkwood. Even on the the Kirkwood snow scientists topic, I referenced Vail rather than Kirkwood.

But just in case it wasn’t clear from my previous threads, my issue is with management at Broomfield Vail, not the Kirkwood or Heavenly employees. Each of my complaints are things that Kirkwood or Heavenly employees don’t have much control over. Last time I checked a snow scientist at Kirkwood does not determine Kirkwood’s operations budget or how long a Kirkwood season lasts. Not much that Heavenly employees can do if Vail decides to slash its budget so much that they have to cancel shuttles. And the only data scientists I have seen at Kirkwood have been clients with either a lift ticket or a season pass.

If you don’t notice Vail’s corporate cuts to Tahoe resorts over the last 5 years, more power to you. I could be wrong but my experience at Vail resorts has steadily gone down and I am pissed because I actually enjoy skiing Heavenly and Kirkwood but I can’t justify buying a pass with the crappier service. Your may feel differently and that’s fine but that does not mean that I am not entitled to my opinion.

+1 on the great skiing history
    -1 for all the times they outskied me on ancient equipment dammit

Vail postponed opening days at Heavenly til the 27th and Northstar til the 29th. That means Ikon has three (or two) California resorts open for two weeks before vail opens any.
    that's why I thought it was weird Vail would announce the postponement the night before a potential storm. Kind of proves it was just about the numbers. They're gonna look pretty stupid if they get over 6" with two more days of almost 24 hour/day snowmaking conditions and still can't open.
    and the idle snowgun right in front of Heavenly's east peak camera for the last hour isn't a good look.
    For those that will ask what evidence of Vail’s (read Broomfield) cost cutting that pissed me off take a look at these posts from 11/20.

patrol staff availability in the spring could affect operations.... some patrollers guide in the spring before their summer jobs start.

nothing i say should ever be taken as evidence of anything other than the fact that i have a keyboard

nothing i say should ever be taken as evidence of anything other than the fact that i have a keyboard
    Lol. Touché.