Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Results 126 to 150 of 198
  1. #126
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    1,801
    Damn guys, you really should be focusing on leaf blowers. LEAF BLOWERS - so many pollutants. https://ww3.arb.ca.gov/msprog/offroa...article_inline

    Emissions are significant. Today, operating the best-selling commercial lawn mower for one hour emits as much smog-forming pollution as driving the best-selling 2017 passenger car, a Toyota Camry, about 300 miles – approximately the distance from Los Angeles to Las Vegas. For the best-selling commercial leaf blower, one hour of operation emits smog-forming pollution comparable to driving a 2017 Toyota Camry about 1100 miles, or approximately the distance from Los Angeles to Denver.
    And they are loud as fuck. You can hear those little bastards from a couple miles away. F those things and your clean yard too!

    ETA this:

    In the early 2020s, however, total smog-forming emissions from small engines are projected to exceed those from passenger cars in the South Coast Air Basin [LOS ANGELES!!!] because passenger car emissions will continue to decrease.
    I don't think sleds - whether plastic or metal snow ponies - fit in this category, but damn.
    sproing!

    FS: crampons, lightweight winter down sleeping bag, and stuff https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...ost?highlight=

  2. #127
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Tahoe-ish
    Posts
    725
    Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    That's not an argument. You don't ski much on rose but your solidarity is needed and is an investment for the future. Your South Lake access and OSV conflicts will come along soon enough. Speaking of which, there is a Tahoe Backcountry Alliance meeting and greeting Wed, 6:30-8:30, at Alpenglow in Tahoe City. See you there.

    I ski in the Rose area quite a lot, actually, but I don't ski on ILP because I don't like to cross tracks and I'm willing to walk for 45 minutes to avoid having to do so. ILP is a junk show like Powderhouse & Jakes, and when signing up for skiing those places one must simply accept that.

    You won't get any satisfaction asking me for solidarity when your argument is that motorized recreation is an invalid form of public lands use. You know that I own 4 off road motorcycles, yes? I wish that sleds and motos were quieter, and will be really happy when a legit electric dirtbike comes along, but the reality is that driving from the Bay Area to ski on lifts powered by electricity produces at least as much carbon as driving from Reno and riding a sled for a few hours. How about you rail against lift-served skiing? Oh, you do a lot of that...nevermind.

    We're all fucking the planet from both ends, and only massive structural change will slow it down. They sold us a lie in the past couple of decades that we could save the planet with virtuous individual choices, but all that did was cause infighting like this and take the focus away from the real issues.

    I'm going to skip the meeting at Alpenglow, which is a 90 minute drive from my house. Kidwoo can use the carbon I've saved for some high marking.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

  3. #128
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    141
    Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    I ski in the Rose area quite a lot, actually, but I don't ski on ILP because I don't like to cross tracks and I'm willing to walk for 45 minutes to avoid having to do so. ILP is a junk show like Powderhouse & Jakes, and when signing up for skiing those places one must simply accept that.

    You won't get any satisfaction asking me for solidarity when your argument is that motorized recreation is an invalid form of public lands use. You know that I own 4 off road motorcycles, yes? I wish that sleds and motos were quieter, and will be really happy when a legit electric dirtbike comes along, but the reality is that driving from the Bay Area to ski on lifts powered by electricity produces at least as much carbon as driving from Reno and riding a sled for a few hours. How about you rail against lift-served skiing? Oh, you do a lot of that...nevermind.

    We're all fucking the planet from both ends, and only massive structural change will slow it down. They sold us a lie in the past couple of decades that we could save the planet with virtuous individual choices, but all that did was cause infighting like this and take the focus away from the real issues.

    I'm going to skip the meeting at Alpenglow, which is a 90 minute drive from my house. Kidwoo can use the carbon I've saved for some high marking.
    ^^^^^This^^^^^

  4. #129
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    121
    If you look at the terrain around the meadows, relay peak , and rose knob there is a lack of good north facing bowls that have more consistent vertical than 800 feet. The best most sustained pitches are around Relay, Tamarack, and a few less than perfect Incline peak lines. Never skied Incline peak much because it was private and basically it sucked, still does but crowds push you to places that you would normally not go. Rose Knob is good but needs a good snow pack, have to get it mid winter for pow, is best in the spring. Mt. Rose proper, fun but windy as fuck and only gets good in blue moon. Some good north facing lines north of that but need a sled or lots of time and motivation to get back there. For a large area, it skis pretty small. South and west shores clearly have the superior terrain but maybe not the snow quality.

  5. #130
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Da Norf Lake
    Posts
    1,444
    Uh yeah. Ski tour and bitch online. That's what I do. Thank you all for a completely perfect internet argument in that: positions were hardened, feelings hurt, and nothing accomplished. See you tomorrow (bring your leaf blower)


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

  6. #131
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    141
    Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    ...and nothing accomplished.
    I don't really see it that way. You were claiming issues with snowmobiling due to pollution and user conflict. What was accomplished was that people made the valid point that driving around to backcountry ski or ride chairlifts also pollutes. And that Chickadee Ridge, the area you were concerned about opening to snowmobiling because of conflicts, has been open all along.

    At the TBA meeting tomorrow night, I hope someone is passing out free bumper stickers:
    Name:  coexist-768x241.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  24.3 KB

  7. #132
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    521
    Man, its page 6 and early October and insults are already being hurled. This thread gon' be spicy if it doesn't snow this year.

  8. #133
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Truckee, CA
    Posts
    5,721
    Quote Originally Posted by gnarbro365 View Post
    Man, its page 6 and early October and insults are already being hurled. This thread gon' be spicy if it doesn't snow this year.
    Dude, it has already snowed a few times this season!


    Me'n Vets schussed a swatch of snow out Blue Lakes way this past Saturday.
    Our engines were 2 Stoke (one on each foot).
    We probably could have carpooled from the 88/89 interchange, but I did pick up several pieces of trash and hauled them out to dispose of properly.
    Snow was pretty damn bueno all things considered.
    Powdork and his posse had turned the swatch into a funky fun mogul field.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG4751crcr100519.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	2.65 MB 
ID:	296966

    #blizzardskis
    #tecnicasports
    #LiveTheMoment
    Last edited by dookey67; 10-08-2019 at 10:41 PM.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

    http://www.blizzardsportusa.com/

  9. #134
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    768
    Quote Originally Posted by gnarbro365 View Post
    Man, its page 6 and early October and insults are already being hurled. This thread gon' be spicy if it doesn't snow this year.
    Totally agree. Let it snow already so we can bitch about the 10 hour drives to Tahoe and Mandan being open only to locals

  10. #135
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    521
    Quote Originally Posted by hercule33 View Post
    Totally agree. Let it snow already so we can bitch about the 10 hour drives to Tahoe and Mandan being open only to locals
    LOL! Burn!

    Fortunately (or unfortunately?) I wonít have that problem this year. You can find me bitching about a commute in the PNWet thread.

    Iíll still check in here for the spice, though. And probably to post 300+ hr forecasts...

  11. #136
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Sonoma & Truckee
    Posts
    11,073
    Damn, do we need to start posting food pictures?

  12. #137
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    521
    Maybe just some stoke from last year?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6400.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	1.52 MB 
ID:	296998

    Look at that! Even some snowmo tracks where they shouldnít be

  13. #138
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    91
    Quote Originally Posted by gnarbro365 View Post
    Maybe just some stoke from last year?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4977.jpg 
Views:	425 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	297005
    Did someone say sand harbor laps? where switch to the road can work

  14. #139
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Da Norf Lake
    Posts
    1,444
    When I say I would rather not have motos all over incline lake, that is a specific concern and I am looking for help and input making that situation better (yes, for me, but why assume I'm not interested in anybuddy else's happiness?) What I did not do was ask who is the bigger polluter or what tactics can be used to avoid crowds and adapt to changes that others impose. My concern is that Incline Lake lake is a very attractive area to beginner sledheds and skiing ILP will involve an exhaust-filled start, from booting up in the parking lot until you get across the lake. I would rather not have to keep an eye on traffic as I cross the lake and start my tour with the anxiety about getting hit. It's about the experience I'm seeking and I already choose where I go based on the experience I want. Now somebuddy is proposing to change that area. When you respond with how there's pollution over there or how I could just go away, you're not hearing me and we talk past each other. That's how this felt so unproductive. I'm hoping for dialogue, not sanctimony or defensiveness.

    Quote Originally Posted by SDW View Post
    Chickadee Ridge, the area you were concerned about opening to snowmobiling because of conflicts, has been open all along.
    This is inaccurate. That was Redsmurfer who misunderstood the map. Here's me getting it wrong: the change on Chickadee is actually a restriction on machines because the affected area is proposed to go from all days of the week to odd only.

    Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    your argument is that motorized recreation is an invalid form of public lands use.
    I'm confused. I don't think I ever said that verbatim. If I did, it's not really my sentiment. I think the situation at present is fine in the Rose area. I would prefer no expansion of 'bilers into the ILP approach. I assume there were moto folks who suggested the opening during the comment period and I'm wondering what makes that area attractive.
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

  15. #140
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Squaw valley
    Posts
    2,572
    Maybe because of the 1h1/2 approach, but i ski the stuff west of relay peak often and most of the time there's nobody there, which is baffling because the terrain is really good.

    Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

  16. #141
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Trouserville
    Posts
    14,462
    Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    I am looking for help and input making that situation better
    Then submit a comment stating your support for keeping chickadee ridge managed as-is, along with keeping incline lake as is. Since they're somewhat comparable terrain, there needs to be some mellow stuff open for storm day and beginner access like you said.

    Might not want to use this term in your letter however

    Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    snomosexuals.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

  17. #142
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Reno, eNVy
    Posts
    376
    Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    My concern is that Incline Lake lake is a very attractive area to beginner sledheds and skiing ILP will involve an exhaust-filled start, from booting up in the parking lot until you get across the lake. I would rather not have to keep an eye on traffic as I cross the lake and start my tour with the anxiety about getting hit. It's about the experience I'm seeking and I already choose where I go based on the experience I want.
    Totally agree. Its a super nice spot to hang out, gear up, not be hassled, etc. Feels like you're already in the wilderness (even though you're not)

  18. #143
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    521

    The Official 19/20 Tahoe Ski Snowboard Thread. Plus bonus Bootfitting Recs!

    Braaap!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5499.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	297028

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5501.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	297027

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5989.JPG 
Views:	61 
Size:	211.6 KB 
ID:	297030

  19. #144
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    768
    Quote Originally Posted by gnarbro365 View Post
    LOL! Burn!

    Fortunately (or unfortunately?) I wonít have that problem this year. You can find me bitching about a commute in the PNWet thread.

    Iíll still check in here for the spice, though. And probably to post 300+ hr forecasts...
    I will miss your stoke but at least you did leave Tahoe on a high note. Lol, looking forward to your 300+ hour forecasts.

  20. #145
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    135
    Quote Originally Posted by Redsmurfer View Post
    I agree Lepistoir, opening the incline lake area and the chickadee ridge is going to lead to a lot of conflicts and make a bad situation even worse. You really think they will stay in the flats around the old reservoir and plus you are going to hear them all day buzzing around from just about any place in watershed. Low, warm snow years are always going to concentrate everyone in that area, leading to a massive cluster fuck. The future does not look bright.

    Just another nail in the Tahoe coffin for me, grew up in Incline, 47 year on- and off- resident, and still own property. Sad to say been thinking about selling and looking for a new spot. Ski resort consolidation, traffic from the bay area and in the basin, huge growth in Reno and Carson, Truckee area development, rising snow levels, social media dumb fucks, HOAs and fucking airbnb all suck. Now taking away any nearby small areas of quiet winter recreation, I need to get over the emotional hurdles, take the $$$ and run. My last winter likely.
    It's not a done deal. Plenty of time (November 19th) for public comment regarding the OSV maps. I encourage all that see issues, even seemingly small ones, submit a comment. Personally, the Incline Lake area and Chickadee is a bad idea and I echo the sentiments that it'll create a lot of user conflict.

  21. #146
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Da Norf Lake
    Posts
    1,444
    Tahoe sports hub deals right now :

    G3 empire carbon 115 $99
    A steal! 7/10 shape and i think one mount only



    Blizzard rustler 11 188 $199
    Great deal again!
    One mount




    Armada invictus 108 188 $99
    Two mounts
    8/10



    Dynafit Chugach 181 with ST 2.0 on demo track and skins $499



    G3 synapse carbon 92 170 and Look HM 12
    8/10
    $499



    G3 Sendr 112 181 with ion LT12 and crampons plus bonus ski strap
    $599



    Faction thirteen 194 w/ beast 16
    $500




    TONS of pow skis with bindings for
    $500
    $400
    $300!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

  22. #147
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    the Low Sierra
    Posts
    12,197
    gTF0 with youíre fkn spam jong

  23. #148
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    775
    Always some diamonds in the rough over there. Got some almost new G3 Findr's there with one telemount for $150 two seasons ago.
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

  24. #149
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Da Norf Lake
    Posts
    1,444

    Tahoe Backcountry Alliance meeting Oct 2019

    Security on hand because apparently some dick thought the appropriate way to deal with their problems was to make a threat to Alpenglow/Brendan. What's your deal, dude? You do know that TBA started mainly because parking was disappearing making winter trailheads disappear and not to try and eradicate snowmobiles from the whole earth, right? We're advocating for our sport to the powers that be and I know there are motorized rec groups doing the same thing. We're going to have to figure out how to get along and share or split up the areas that we have. TBA is not the reason the FS is closing hell hole. That's environmental/endangered species. And it sucks to lose that terrain. It's great for machines, not great for muscle-powered skiing, and closing it pushes sleds into the remaining areas. It creates pressure to open other areas previously restricted to human-powered rec. I can't say any solution is going to make everybuddy happy. That's why it takes all users speaking up and participating. Intimidation and threats are absolutely not going to help preserve plowed parking that both groups use (Castle Pk sno-park?) even if we use it to access separate areas. It's really hard to move a bureaucracy and coordinate all the different agencies already. Without user groups working out differences so we can speak clearly to the powers that be about what we are looking for, we're all getting stuck with whatever they hand down. Stop throwing tantrums and get involved.

    By the way, there was mad free beer, a sick spread of poke, wonton, cheese, sausage. Way more than the 20+ of us could eat. Big ups to the sponsors, donors, caterer, Alpenglow sports and the all-volunteer staff of TBA.

    The FS proposed plan comments are open. Get your thoughts to them. The Incline Lake proposal looks like mainly a way for sleds to get from the Relay side to the Chickadee/Tyrolean side. That makes sense to me and a good idea -with proper management to prevent conflict down on the ILP approach and parking issues. Maybe a flagged route?
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

  25. #150
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Truckee, CA
    Posts
    5,721
    Got all Harold and the White Crayon yesterday (10/9/19) up on Lola.
    Conditions were Bluebird, yet brisk.
    firm icy snow dotted the trail along with inch thick breakable crust in spots on the upper part of the trail.
    In terms of the skiing, the snow was variable, ranging from creme brulee to Idaho Spuds to speed sheen and speed crust.
    There were two sets of previous tracks up there that I am guessing were from the weekend or last week and looked like they were laid down by a snowboarder and his dog.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3605.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	1.66 MB 
ID:	297177

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3731.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	818.4 KB 
ID:	297178

    #blizzardskis #tecnicasports #LiveTheMoment
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

    http://www.blizzardsportusa.com/

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •