Page 131 of 165 FirstFirst ... 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 ... LastLast
Results 3,251 to 3,275 of 4118
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I would hate to live in a world where there were enough cops to enforce all the rules. That's why it's up to the rest of us to deal with assholes like you before you hurt someone riding where you don't belong.
    I have a friend who was a facilities manager. He refused to put up signs for restrictions he couldn't (or wouldn't) enforce. Related to that ... when coming into town from the rec center direction crossing 80 have a look at how many signs there are. It's nuts. Almost like being in Germany again.

People don't obeys signs. They are just suggestions. Freedom...

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    4 Time Balboa Open Champion

Quote Originally Posted by skysos View Post
    I love e-bikes and ride them in Tahoe. There are lots of us who live here and ride e-bikes. People who want to become citizen cops and enforce rules that authorities are not interested in enforcing are dicks. Of course nothing, and I mean nothing, will ever convince you to not be dicks about this, so I'm just going to point out that you are being dicks.
    I don't shy away from human conflicts. I am one who starts them when I see a problem. Don't just hide on the internet and complain on some facebook group. Do something at the time. If people start having a bad time then maybe they won't come back.

I love e-bikes and ride them in Tahoe. There are lots of us who live here and ride e-bikes. People who want to become citizen cops and enforce rules that authorities are not interested in enforcing are dicks. Of course nothing, and I mean nothing, will ever convince you to not be dicks about this, so I'm just going to point out that you are being dicks.
    Just stick to your moped trails and there won't be any issues.
    No kick turns
    No mercy

Regarding e-bike bans in the TNF...the signage needs to become more clear about what is okay and what is not. The Legacy trail in Truckee and the River/Lake trail system around North Tahoe are posted for No Motor Vehicles. But if you read the fine print online or on the maps, Class 1 and 2 e-bikes are permitted on those trails. It's easy to see that might confuse people that then see the same No Motor Vehicles sign at the trailhead of a single track.

I am not suggesting that the e-bike ban should extend to those paved trails. I am suggesting that signage be more clear on all trails. More importantly, rather than banning e-bikes, let's ban the behaviors that cause problems. Setting a reasonable speed limit would be a good idea, in particular on a paved trail. I have no problem maintaining 20+ mph on the paved trails, but I don't. I self limit myself to 10mph, or less as the situation requires. Those fuckers in lycra riding 25mph on road bikes with AirPods in on a conference call are the bigger menace.
    Fuck those fucking motherfuckers!

http://www.unofficialalpine.com

Quote Originally Posted by Truckee Joe View Post
    I don't shy away from human conflicts. I am one who starts them when I see a problem. Don't just hide on the internet and complain on some facebook group. Do something at the time. If people start having a bad time then maybe they won't come back.
    You should come on down to Santa Cruz and go for a surf. We have plenty of people who feel like you and would be happy to show you a bad time. Localism at its finest.

Not here for the emtb debate. But just pointing out that your threats of slashing someone’s tires is against the law. Perhaps a more important law than trail designations. If we all acted like you, more people would be getting seriously hurt in this country. Your kind of lucky none of those enumerated you assisted we psychopaths.

Quote Originally Posted by Truckee Joe View Post
    Well I live here so I'm definitely coming back. I run into someone who wants to educate me about 2-3x a year. 2 of the 3 interactions last year were on the same day on legal trails, which basically convinced me that people are dicks and they are going to be dicks even if the rules allow me there.

Some people on e-bikes might just have a reason they are on an e-bike other than laziness, and those types of interactions are just another punch in the face.

As you all know there are almost no motorized trails in the Tahoe basin, and what is allowed often is overrun with OHVs which produces bottomless moondust. So I can throw the bike on my truck and drive for an hour through endless tourist traffic to ride the only large trail system that is open to me at Lake Tahoe Nevada State Park, or ride on local trails right from my door and not bother anyone. There are 3 people on my street with e-bikes so I'm definitely not alone out there.
    "Holy Cow!" someone exclaimed from the back of the stationwagon.

Well I live here so I'm definitely coming back. I run into someone who wants to educate me about 2-3x a year. 2 of the 3 interactions last year were on the same day on legal trails, which basically convinced me that people are dicks and they are going to be dicks even if the rules allow me there.

Some people on e-bikes might just have a reason they are on an e-bike other than laziness, and those types of interactions are just another punch in the face.

As you all know there are almost no motorized trails in the Tahoe basin, and what is allowed often is overrun with OHVs which produces bottomless moondust. So I can throw the bike on my truck and drive for an hour through endless tourist traffic to ride the only large trail system that is open to me at Lake Tahoe Nevada State Park, or ride on local trails right from my door and not bother anyone. There are 3 people on my street with e-bikes so I'm definitely not alone out there.
    Says the silicon valley tech bro who is now living in the second maybe third home at Tahoe during the pandemic. Happy your breaking the rules up there instead of causing grief in the Mid Penn open space. feel free to never come back.

e-bikes will take over the world. I am also a fan, sometimes, but if its not a allowed use I will tell you. "Police are just there to take the report, not to stop the crime." a cop told me that once and its just a rule to live by.

I must have missed something. How does someone riding an ebike affect your day again?
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

It strikes me that locals can sometimes be "the canary in the coal mine". Up here they identified traffic issues, rental accommodation issues, crowding of recreational facilities. Some of us actively engage civic leadership and get suppressed for our "localism/NIMBYism". In one infamous encounter a friend was told "to move to Sierraville". And so Tahoe gets loved to death. As goes Tahoe City so goes the rest of the region.

To help alleviate the prolific butthurt happening here, here's a pic of my Dad's signed Greg Beck poster from 1975.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200729_135818.jpeg 
Views:	84 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	336321

Sounds like I should cancel my Truckee AirBNB for a weekend e-biking trip from the bay area. It's a shame, I was really looking forward to riding those unsanctioned trails people talk about. Guess I'll just go shred Steamer Lane on my wavestorm instead.

(I guess I should add the /s because who knows these days )

there needs to be more specific signage. No motor vehicles makes it sound like no motorcycles, atvs, etc. at least thats what i always infer from that. if ebikes arent allowed.......it should say no ebikes.
    personally idgif about ebikes. the way i see it......ebikes allow people to just ride from their homes with no driving to the trailhead and no car shuttling. so usually,....when u see someone on an ebike.....thats ones less car on the road and one less th parking spot needed

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    there needs to be more specific signage. No motor vehicles makes it sound like no motorcycles, atvs, etc. at least thats what i always infer from that. if ebikes arent allowed.......it should say no ebikes.
    personally idgif about ebikes. the way i see it......ebikes allow people to just ride from their homes with no driving to the trailhead and no car shuttling. so usually,....when u see someone on an ebike.....thats ones less car on the road and one less th parking spot needed
    I think a lot of those signs were put up before ebikes became a thing. they run off electricity instead of gas but they are still motorized so i don't really see the grey area on it. also you are kidding yourself if you think they don't drive them to trailheads. personally i hate the things, they allow gapers that would never be able to ride a trail very far to get easy access. i especially hate when i am riding up a trail and an ebike comes up on my ass expecting me to pull over when there is no chance in hell they could have caught me on a real bike. and then i have to pass them on the downhill cause they usually suck at riding anything technical. and no i am not jealous, i have plenty money to afford a new ebike, but i come from a time when you tried to make your bike lighter and your legs stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsmurfer View Post
    Says the silicon valley tech bro who is now living in the second maybe third home at Tahoe during the pandemic. Happy your breaking the rules up there instead of causing grief in the Mid Penn open space. feel free to never come back.
    Nope. I own one home and it's in Tahoe. I live here full time. I split time between the Bay and here for 15 years prior to that. I'm guessing that doesn't meet the criteria to be considered a local, and I'm not saying I am one -- I'm just saying I live here. I don't think I've ever met the criteria to be a local anywhere anyway.

I chose to get involved and have worked with Mid-Pen on e-bike advocacy. I was at a couple of board meetings and spoke in favor of the pilot program for e-bike access that was strongly favored by the rangers. Because a bunch of us showed up and spoke, we were able to sway the board members to allow the pilot program. Covid delayed that until next year's budget, but it is (slow) progress and I think you will see a change there in the next couple of years. There were about 20 people who spoke in favor and the only against opinions came from horse people, hikers, and environmentalists. If you are against it, I strongly encourage you to show up and voice your opinion the next time it comes up on the agenda. It's good for the board members to hear all sides of an issue.
    "Holy Cow!" someone exclaimed from the back of the stationwagon.

Quote Originally Posted by davjr96 View Post
    Sounds like I should cancel my Truckee AirBNB for a weekend e-biking trip from the bay area. It's a shame, I was really looking forward to riding those unsanctioned trails people talk about. Guess I'll just go shred Steamer Lane on my wavestorm instead.

(I guess I should add the /s because who knows these days )
    We also have unsanctioned bike trails that some people will tell you do not permit emtb, but fail to mention they also do not permit biking of any sort on as they peddle away.

I see as many looks on evoked as I see on peddle bikes around here. Also see as many rippers on evoked as I see on peddle bikes. I see more ducks in the water than on trails tho. So if that is your goal, go for it.

Btw, plenty of guys here ripping on wavestorms and gettin waves. Even at the slot. Better to show up on a late 70’s yellowed neater board to really emphasize kookdom.

I chose to get involved and have worked with Mid-Pen on e-bike advocacy. I was at a couple of board meetings and spoke in favor of the pilot program for e-bike access that was strongly favored by the rangers. Because a bunch of us showed up and spoke, we were able to sway the board members to allow the pilot program. Covid delayed that until next year's budget, but it is (slow) progress and I think you will see a change there in the next couple of years. There were about 20 people who spoke in favor and the only against opinions came from horse people, hikers, and environmentalists. If you are against it, I strongly encourage you to show up and voice your opinion the next time it comes up on the agenda. It's good for the board members to hear all sides of an issue.
    The retired always get their voice heard, because they have nothing better to do during the daytime hours and aren't working providing any good's to society anymore. The loudest bark always gets heard, that is how government works.

Quote Originally Posted by truckeelocal View Post
    I have a friend who was a facilities manager. He refused to put up signs for restrictions he couldn't (or wouldn't) enforce. Related to that ... when coming into town from the rec center direction crossing 80 have a look at how many signs there are. It's nuts. Almost like being in Germany again.
    There may be a lot of signs in Germany but we never got lost driving there and most definitely never missed an autobahn exit. France otoh . . .

There may be a lot of signs in Germany but we never got lost driving there and most definitely never missed an autobahn exit. France otoh . . .
    Lots of visitors seem to get confused here, e.g.
    • Stopping at the entry to Old Town (where there isn't actually a stop sign)
    • Ignoring the two lanes at the 89/80 traffic circles
    • Riding e-bikes on trails marked as "closed to motorized vehicles"
    • Driving crazy speeds in chain control
    • Ignoring requests not to come up while a deadly virus is active
    • Wearing masks during encounters with other members of the public

All, except the first, are signed. But it's the nanny state and rules are made to be broken (or ignored). Apropos of nothing but I did get mighty lost on the Peripherique.

Quote Originally Posted by truckeelocal View Post
    Lots of visitors seem to get confused here, e.g.
    • Stopping at the entry to Old Town (where there isn't actually a stop sign)
    • Ignoring the two lanes at the 89/80 traffic circles
    • Riding e-bikes on trails marked as "closed to motorized vehicles"
    • Driving crazy speeds in chain control
    • Ignoring requests not to come up while a deadly virus is active
    • Wearing masks during encounters with other members of the public

All, except the first, are signed. But it's the nanny state and rules are made to be broken (or ignored). Apropos of nothing but I did get mighty lost on the Peripherique.
    I love to sit in the front window of Bar of America in the afternoon and watch folks try to negotiate the 3 way stop/1 way no stop at DPR and Bridge St. Especially entertaining when the cars coming up Bridge turn west into a setting sun.

Full Belly Deli sells a T-shirt ... "Locals don't stop". It benefits High-Fives. I'm a Moody's person myself after B-of-A instituted the "No Dogs" silliness for a while. I'll note that having 3 pedestrian crossings and a couple of gas stations adds to the carnage.

I want a T Shirt that says "WTF is Truckee Way?"

The driveway patch

Name:	IMG_1281.JPG 
Views:	124 
Size:	290.2 KB 
ID:	336373

Name:	IMG_1295.JPG 
Views:	119 
Size:	471.9 KB 
ID:	336374

Name:	GPTempDownload.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	336375

Name:	GPTempDownload.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	712.0 KB 
ID:	336376

This will be my last ski for a bit. Next time out will be on a knew knee with a 10-20 year lease.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

I love to sit in the front window of Bar of America in the afternoon and watch folks try to negotiate the 3 way stop/1 way no stop at DPR and Bridge St. Especially entertaining when the cars coming up Bridge turn west into a setting sun.
    There was talk last year of changing that intersection for safety reasons but I guess in their review it turns out there are actually very few accidents there, which was surprising.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.