Page 115 of 165 FirstFirst ... 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 ... LastLast
Results 2,851 to 2,875 of 4118
    Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    It rained perhaps all of 7-minutes at my abode yesterday late afternoon/early evening, but mostly it just thundered like a mofo for about an hour. There were dark clouds checkerboarded throughout the T/D area, so methinks the rain was spotty and spread out.
    You can actually still see droplet marks/impressions in the patina of pollen on my deck this afternoon.
    FWIW, heard from a reliable source that it hailed rather intensely in Sierra Meadows last evening...
    buckets of rain and hail at my house yesterday at the base of corral loop. zilch nada nothing on the trail. and i swept my deck i'm not a fucking peasant. ;-)
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    My buddy works in marketing over there, and when Ron Cohen came up from Mammoth, he said something to the effect of "WTF? Why no bike park here?" I'm surprised they cannot figure out that one out. Seems like an easy money maker especially with all the high-end rentals of bikes and helmets and body gear, etc. I figured they'd run it with the Funitel (alternating loads of bikes and people), but I guess the tram would work too. I just hate that tram lol.
    It does seem like a no-brainer. Tack on an extra $100 - $150 to the IKON pass for MTB access in the summer (which would include Mammoth as well) and they'd make a ton of money selling over-priced food and beer. I'm not a huge fan of lift served MTB because part of the whole experience for me is getting into shape, but I'd definitely go at least several times or more each summer / fall... especially on those days after a big ride when your legs are tired but your hands / arms feel fine.

Also, would people please wear their fucking masks? Dear god it's out of control. People get near a lake and for some reason it's suddenly a free for all whether you're inside or out?

If you’ve ever ridden northstar on a weekday you’d see sometimes the employees outnumber the riders even though they’re the only show in town. DH vs XC riding is analogous to DH vs XC skiing.. works different muscles but still a workout.

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Yep, as I understand it (long before my time in California, let alone in Tahoe), Squaw had a big MTB scene including lots of races and events in the late 90s. Not sure what happened, but they did reopen in 2010 and what Shred Baron said happened. I'd guess that map is from 2010, but not sure.

here's some stuff I found:
    1999 World Cup DH MTB race highlights (whoa): https://www.vitalmtb.com/videos/feat...3429/sspomer,2
    http://62.50.72.82/english/mtb/world...ts/dh5_ven.htm
    Course Description:

My buddy works in marketing over there, and when Ron Cohen came up from Mammoth, he said something to the effect of "WTF? Why no bike park here?" I'm surprised they cannot figure out that one out. Seems like an easy money maker especially with all the high-end rentals of bikes and helmets and body gear, etc. I figured they'd run it with the Funitel (alternating loads of bikes and people), but I guess the tram would work too. I just hate that tram lol.
    Seems like running the Funitel and Big Blue would offer up tons of options for biking. I can think of a ton of fun potential flow trails from the road back to base of blue. Short climbs up the road to access more DH sections.

Quote Originally Posted by LegoSkier View Post
    FWIW, I rode there once back in the 90s. Took the "F" road basically riding from high camp up to the top of Siberia then back down. Then rode the "A" trail all the way down to the bottom. Fuck if that was a bone jarring experience on a fully rigid bike. From what I remember there wasn't much in the way of bike specific trail construction. Just basically like hiking trails they took the bigger rocks out of (or at least tried to).
    Essentially how I remember riding it as a kid w my Dad in the mid 90's. We were actually just talking about this the other day and we both recall lots of loose shale and other rocks on non-suspension bikes.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Seems like running the Funitel and Big Blue would offer up tons of options for biking. I can think of a ton of fun potential flow trails from the road back to base of blue. Short climbs up the road to access more DH sections.
    Don’t ever expect the Funitel to run for summer operations, aside from short term things (4th of July skiing, or wanderlust type stuff). The entire summer is required to do all of the required maintenance, and some portions of the work require it to be down for a month plus. It has a bit to do with the fact that it abides by the stricter maintenance standards from the manufacturer than US code requires, so not analogous to any gondola in the country.

(Source: was a mechanic for the funi for about 4 years)

The Official 19/20 Tahoe Ski Snowboard Thread. Plus bonus Bootfitting Recs!

^^ Interesting. Obviously most of us know you know your shit when it comes to lift installation and ops. That’s also comforting to hear about standards.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

I've been hitting this zone the past two days (Friday and today).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4674.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	332856

Interesting to note is that I attempted to access this area last Saturday (June 20th) and got skunked by too much snow on the access road.
    FWIW, last Sat, the bowl far looker's right went from the summit down to treeline; that is how much it melted out in just 7 days!
    At any rate, I skied the small remaining snow on the looker's right, as well as the entire left side (East facing aspect) of the ridge.

The east ridge was the best line and best snow; soft and smearable with minimal suncups, but some interesting runnel gutters that made for a semi-obstacle course slalom.

Name:	IMG_4668.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	1.57 MB 
ID:	332857

This whole area is above the PCT on the section of trail between White Rock Lake and Perazzo Canyon

Friday's Soundtrack:
    Straight Freak Ticket - Love Battery
    Live at Irving Plaza 4.18.06 - Shooter Jennings and the .357's

Saturday's Soundtrack:
    No Witch - The Cave Singers
    Words From The Genius - The Genius (aka The GZA of Wu-Tang Clan fame; this was debut album before forming the Wu).
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

A heads up for all y'all Donner Summit recreationists- news from the Summit. Per the flagman stopping traffic at the Rainbow Bridge parking this last week: Weekdays starting July 6th until October- Old 40 will be closed from Donner Lake to (either) Donner Ski Ranch or Rainbow Br. parking. A federal grant is paying for construction of bike lanes on both sides of Old 40. So tree falling, blasting, grading etc. on both sides require closing the road. They are using excavators, air hammers et all to widen the road above the bridge currently.

The flagger told us anyone sneaking into the area during blasting operations would get a "substantial fine" and that vehicles found in the closure area would be towed without attempts to find the owner.
    Weekends will resume open season, it's been a bit of a zoo up there.
    Q- Is it legal to have a Sprinter without a Yeti sticker on it? Inquiring minds etc.
    "if you plant ice, you're gonna harvest wind..."

Sprinters don't even need yeti stickers. They have norcolds

Thanks for the report wolfy, that’s helpful. I knew that work was coming but not when it was starting what with COVID etc..

For a new name for SV, call it Shane’s Valley.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    I think he was just saying they weren't being counted in our case results because they would get tested back in the bay area if at all.
    Who knows, maybe that's not true. My daughter was coming back from Santa Barbara for a week starting next week. But with the uptick in cases she doesn't want to risk seeing her parents. She and her boyfriend of 10 years, who is a pharmacist there, can't get tested there because they aren't available for those without symptoms like they are here.
    And heads up. El Dorado county hasn't reported since Thursday. Since then there have been reports of numerous cases including an outbreak at Harrah's. Motel 6 is closed for two weeks and their employees are self quarantining after a guest tested positive.

edit-the Harrahs thing is as yet uncorroborated but the source should be in the know.
    Last edited by powdork; 06-28-2020 at 04:12 PM.

I had an Epic Pass and a Homewood Pass last past season. Thinking about doing the same again except I’m not feeling confident that their lifts will run all season, like this year. Almost surprised that they are selling passes again.

Quote Originally Posted by Shred Baron View Post
    Don’t ever expect the Funitel to run for summer operations, aside from short term things (4th of July skiing, or wanderlust type stuff). The entire summer is required to do all of the required maintenance, and some portions of the work require it to be down for a month plus. It has a bit to do with the fact that it abides by the stricter maintenance standards from the manufacturer than US code requires, so not analogous to any gondola in the country.

(Source: was a mechanic for the funi for about 4 years)

Wow, wild. Too bad!

Also...

We are excited to let you know that hiking and biking will be available at Northstar this summer. The bike park will open on July 10 with access via the Big Springs Gondola and Zephyr Express. Riders of all ability levels will have access to trails that suit their skills, and we anticipate having sections of Livewire, Tryumph and Coaster available on opening day. Hiking and scenic gondola rides will be offered starting July 3, and hikers will also have access to additional trails via Zephyr Express on July 10.
    We look forward to guests having the option to take advantage of our great hiking, biking, and golfing activities while enjoying the outdoors here at Northstar.
    For more on our commitment to safety and our expanded summer operations, visit:
    http://news.northstar.vailresorts.co...-to-safety.htm
    sproing!

If I could just mix up the last two posts, and have a bike park at Homewood that would be awesome.

Tahoe is going to become such a covid shit show inside of two weeks. I’m pretty relaxed outside but is it really that hard to put on a mask when going inside?
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Anyone holding epic brand summer lifts passes they want to off load. Might be near Nstar with a gravity bike in tow. Would like to ride some lifts. Looking for me and a friend.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Tahoe is going to become such a covid shit show inside of two weeks. I’m pretty relaxed outside but is it really that hard to put on a mask when going inside?
    Just made an appointment with the knee doc to start the wheels for a replacement with the hopes I can get it done whilst being paid during the next lockdown (very travel related relatively high contact business so it seems likely). And I've already reupped to about 3 months of tp, pt and 2 months of food, less if I have to share with the dogs.

edit-yes, the dogs wipe their asses now. It's a covid thing since other dogs are always sticking their noses up there.

Definitely get any elective/preventative work done ASAP ...... just in case (I'm betting on it) things deteriorate in the Fall (or August) and we're locked down again.

Just made an appointment with the knee doc to start the wheels for a replacement with the hopes I can get it done whilst being paid during the next lockdown (very travel related relatively high contact business so it seems likely). And I've already reupped to about 3 months of tp, pt and 2 months of food, less if I have to share with the dogs.

edit-yes, the dogs wipe their asses now. It's a covid thing since other dogs are always sticking their noses up there.
    Good luck.

I assume you tried hyaluronic injections?

Had then twice a year for almost 20 years and i can ski, bike etc without pain.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

No. Insurance wouldn't cover it and Doc wasn't a fan. I can still bike ski and climb with pain but working is becoming a problem. It gets super stiff after standing still for less than 3 minutes, and the number seems to be dropping quickly. It's actually the first I've heard of it but we discussed synovial fluid which is where it is found. Seems like just the supplements could help.

No. Insurance wouldn't cover it and Doc wasn't a fan. I can still bike ski and climb with pain but working is becoming a problem. It gets super stiff after standing still for less than 3 minutes, and the number seems to be dropping quickly. It's actually the first I've heard of it but we discussed synovial fluid which is where it is found. Seems like just the supplements could help.
    You can get a prescription from a doctor, buy it in turkey on line for 150, then the injection labor is covered by insurance

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

I’ll inject it for you for free powdork, I’ll just google how to do it.

With Covid cases ramping up Probably likely elective surgery’s will be stopped again, anyway best of luck

Did a little 4x4 action out in the Silver Peak area yesterday.
    When I got up to the peak itself I was semi-skunked in that there were only a couple of slender side-hilly swatches.
    So I hiked around the peak and out towards Squaw, ending up skiing a small patch of snow on the peak that is due east of Granite Chief.

Name:	IMG_4681.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	333177

I skied the sliver of snow on Silver Peak on the hike out.

Name:	IMG_4689.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	2.06 MB 
ID:	333178

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Made what will undoubtedly be my last hurrah at BWC for the season today.
    Things melted out a ton since I was there on the 22nd.
    Pretty much every line I skied last week was gone.
    I had to settle for these:

Name:	IMG_4695.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	1.71 MB 
ID:	333179

Name:	IMG_4698.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	1.76 MB 
ID:	333180