Page 51 of 165 FirstFirst ... 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,275 of 4118
    .sustained winds over 160 for an hour with gust to 209. dropping now though

edit- the NWS-Reno is saying that 209 gust at Kirkwood, if verified, would be a new record for Cali
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

hankey, thank you for laying those nice skintracks out of deadwood canyon, they came in handy yesterday. Was eyeing your nice turns down the backboard... Didn't know they were yours at the time.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200208_141243.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	1.54 MB 
ID:	314722

Name:	IMG-20200208-WA0006.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	85.9 KB 
ID:	314723

Name:	IMG_20200208_152644~2.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	1.97 MB 
ID:	314735

Exited a little later than planned

Name:	IMG_20200208_180434.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	314725
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200208_152644.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	1.93 MB 
ID:	314724  
    Last edited by emcee; 02-09-2020 at 11:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    .sustained winds over 160 for an hour with gust to 209. dropping now though

edit- the NWS-Reno is saying that 209 gust at Kirkwood, if verified, would be a new record for Cali
    Wtf. That is mount Washington quality

I would call bullshit but I guess not

Name:	86A8DEEA-BCFE-4B68-981C-EA4453A6A94B.png 
Views:	100 
Size:	297.3 KB 
ID:	314734
    . . .

Alpine had a gust of 199 a few years ago that holds the current record.
    The anemometer that recorded that gust only went to 199 it also broke that night.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

kw had a 208 last week
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

KW closed for day...cos of wind...

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using TGR Forums mobile app

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

On big years, KW has groomed that section near All the Way back to Waterfall.

Same goes for Eagle Bowl and hell, they used to groom Thunder Saddle...has that been done lately?

Squaw yesterday wasn't too bad...expectations weren't high that's for sure. However, gorgeous weather doesn't hurt and the groomers were on point. Found some wintery snow in the shade of Broken Arrow which then transitioned into some fun in the corn. The only real issue is the snowpack isn't very deep over there so some bushwacking around some of the steeper zones. Finished the day with some Oly Lady laps which was good to jar your spine. Some wintery snow in the shade but hit or miss with the really firm stuff, Skier's right Red Dog face was incredibly tasty down to Squaw Kids all day long.

A few thoughts on the KW winds: These winds look much more 'legit' than the 207 mph gust recorded earlier this week because the other sensors are working. Previously, the wind speeds were roaring but underwent a rapid acceleration from locally-validated speeds (+/- 50G100) to G190s-207 and coincided with other observations going down (temp, rh). This is a classic (i.e., a first order) way to flag bad obs in many datasets.

Name:  chart_chair6kw_wspd.png
Views: 940
Size:  48.1 KB
    Name:  chart_chair6kw_tmprh.png
Views: 938
Size:  66.2 KB

Given the possibly spurious results earlier in the week and data outage, and in the interest of investigating suspicious data, I would be concerned that the sensor may not be calibrated correctly after this first event, especially given the lack of other locations observing anything close to similar wind speeds (in both wind events). Regional gusts are in the 125 mph range. I don't think Kirkwood has other sensors to compare against, there may be one on top of Chair 10 or on the shack, but sheltering could be an issue from Thimble Peak. The Chair 6 obs are in a great location.

Of course, if the data is correct, this provides a great question of why are winds SO bad through the Carson Pass region and not other gaps in the Sierra in the last week?

Absolutely nasty positively tilted trough over the west coast, a classic NE'erly producer with Rossby wave breaking (overturning of potential vorticity, which should increase with latitude, a common player in many extreme weather events) to blame!

Name:	gfs_pv330K_namer_2.png 
Views:	896 
Size:	240.6 KB 
ID:	314762

For comparison, the big NE'erly tree knockdown wind event in Nov 2011 pinned the Mammoth sensor at 185 (max setting at the time).

Food for thought on a blustery day.

In other news, lovely February corn harvesting late this week

Name:	IMG_0286.jpg 
Views:	925 
Size:	1,007.3 KB 
ID:	314763

Name:	IMG_4220.jpg 
Views:	962 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	314764

Name:	IMG_0222.jpg 
Views:	976 
Size:	2.28 MB 
ID:	314765

Was diggin in the crates and found this shot of the wizard ca. 2008 Kirkwood shot (same guy as above turning past the tree). whee!

Name:	_MG_1315.jpg 
Views:	939 
Size:	992.5 KB 
ID:	314766

Crazy wind in East Bay. Never seen this strong for this long.

Quote Originally Posted by 2_1_3 View Post
    A few thoughts on the KW winds: These winds look much more 'legit' than the 207 mph gust recorded earlier this week because the other sensors are working. Previously, the wind speeds were roaring but underwent a rapid acceleration from locally-validated speeds (+/- 50G100) to G190s-207 and coincided with other observations going down (temp, rh). This is a classic (i.e., a first order) way to flag bad obs in many datasets.

Name:  chart_chair6kw_wspd.png
Views: 940
Size:  48.1 KB
    Name:  chart_chair6kw_tmprh.png
Views: 938
Size:  66.2 KB

Given the possibly spurious results earlier in the week and data outage, and in the interest of investigating suspicious data, I would be concerned that the sensor may not be calibrated correctly after this first event, especially given the lack of other locations observing anything close to similar wind speeds (in both wind events). Regional gusts are in the 125 mph range. I don't think Kirkwood has other sensors to compare against, there may be one on top of Chair 10 or on the shack, but sheltering could be an issue from Thimble Peak. The Chair 6 obs are in a great location.

Of course, if the data is correct, this provides a great question of why are winds SO bad through the Carson Pass region and not other gaps in the Sierra in the last week?

Absolutely nasty positively tilted trough over the west coast, a classic NE'erly producer with Rossby wave breaking (overturning of potential vorticity, which should increase with latitude, a common player in many extreme weather events) to blame!

Name:	gfs_pv330K_namer_2.png 
Views:	896 
Size:	240.6 KB 
ID:	314762

For comparison, the big NE'erly tree knockdown wind event in Nov 2011 pinned the Mammoth sensor at 185 (max setting at the time).

Food for thought on a blustery day.

In other news, lovely February corn harvesting late this week

Name:	IMG_0286.jpg 
Views:	925 
Size:	1,007.3 KB 
ID:	314763

Name:	IMG_4220.jpg 
Views:	962 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	314764

Name:	IMG_0222.jpg 
Views:	976 
Size:	2.28 MB 
ID:	314765

Was diggin in the crates and found this shot of the wizard ca. 2008 Kirkwood shot (same guy as above turning past the tree). whee!

Name:	_MG_1315.jpg 
Views:	939 
Size:	992.5 KB 
ID:	314766
    you spark my curiosity - you seem to know what you’re talking about

our winds topped out at about 90 this morning at Bear Valley
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. hankey View Post
    Wobby, that looks awesome! Is the location something you can share?
    Its the Santa Rosa Range...shhhhhhh

NWS is now calling KW’s 209mph gust “questionable at best”
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

dayum lotta action here for a sunday afternoon. what....is it windy out or somethin? my girls soccer team that usually takes the winter off, actually had a home outdoor game last weekend here in slt and has had games elsewhere most every weekend in carson/reno/sparks. they usually dont ever play outdoors till april earliest
    all good court i got a tube from kent/wattabike and redid my skins to use yesterday after my g3 skin glue debacle. was hoping those wouldnt see any action again till spring but..... cest la vie. honestly, i usually avoid the echo corridor on weekends but decided to brave it yestetrday. holy shit that scene is nuts and reminded why i usually avoid at such times. dont see how there arent accidents there every weekend. the sledding thing is a spectacle. the fox n hound down my street charges $40/hr to use their parking lot for sledding
    tbc - its better then it looks on the avy path entrance/exit compared to the pullout start across from sierra. we were going to finish a point to point near where you were but the snow was so smooth n buttery on the ascent we had to adjust our plan

Quote Originally Posted by MashedPotatoes View Post
    maybe my 4th time. I blame my kids.

it's the area just lookers left of All The Way on the face proper. Where people normally drop in just at the end of ridge to skip most of the traverse track. You know it.

I don't ever remember them grooming Eagle, that would be nice with the sun..
    Yeah, never seen that groomed before. Damn.

Eagle is great. They had three routes they would groom in big years if the snow turned. It was not often, but so nice in spring. Just had the steep firm wall groomer to ski down to it first. Seen some long falls on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post
    On big years, KW has groomed that section near All the Way back to Waterfall.

Same goes for Eagle Bowl and hell, they used to groom Thunder Saddle...has that been done lately?
    I e only seen thunder saddle groomed top to bottom maybe two times. The main exit will get groomed after slide debris gets in there these days, but have not seen it done otherwise.

I'm coming out to the Tahoe area the beginning of March with some buddies. Staying in South Lake Tahoe but will have a car and are planning to ski Kirkwood and Heavenly since we have the Epic pass. Any recommendations on stuff to do in the area or tips on when to ski KW versus Heavenly would be greatly appreciated by this jong.

Also praying for some snow before then but the forecast is looking fairly dry in the near term.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Yeah, never seen that groomed before. Damn.

Eagle is great. They had three routes they would groom in big years if the snow turned. It was not often, but so nice in spring. Just had the steep firm wall groomer to ski down to it first. Seen some long falls on that one.
    Best corn of my life was in Eagle Bowl. The Wall wasn't groomed. People were falling and sliding all the way to the bottom but if you could make it over to Eagle there were no bumps or tracks, just pure smooth corn--the kind where you look back up and there's no sign you had just come down it. It hadn't been groomed either. It was in early March as best as I can recall. after the Sacramento valley flood of Feb 1986.

Quick plug for Doug at Tahoe Sports Hub. Came through Truckee last week and bought a pair of Intuition Pro Tongue inners. Doug did a great job. Paired with Superfeet green my feet were warm and comfortable all day. I was impressed that we got the bake perfect in one try. Doug if you read this enjoy the Dale's Pale and keep on giving Truckee a first rate boot fitting experience!

The road from the Echo snow park to the lake had lots of tree debris on top of the snow from the big wind event. Guessing it could be a general issue in forested areas, might keep it mind for route selections till the next snow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ridge_skier View Post
    I'm coming out to the Tahoe area the beginning of March with some buddies. Staying in South Lake Tahoe but will have a car and are planning to ski Kirkwood and Heavenly since we have the Epic pass. Any recommendations on stuff to do in the area or tips on when to ski KW versus Heavenly would be greatly appreciated by this jong.

Also praying for some snow before then but the forecast is looking fairly dry in the near term.
    March is too far out to forecast. Could be ugly, could get some snow. Ski Heavenly if you want some views of the lake. Otherwise, Kirkwood. If it does snow, don’t hang around nursing a hangover—get to the lot. Lots of people in a 4-hour radius love to ski and the lots park out.

Hit Divided Sky on the way back from Kirkwood.

What is divided sky?

Asking for a friend

^^^a local bar in meyers that becomes the crowded sky when they have music