Page 24 of 165 FirstFirst ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    Status report?
    Getting her back this evening. That was rough. Super-obvious advice: Get your snowblower serviced in the summer.

Fingers crossed stagecoach does NOT open tomorrow. Too much low hanger skinner pow left to turn loose the hounds.

I guess I have different expectations from ski resorts and the company's that run them. What has been bugging me over the last few seasons is that my experience at their resorts has been slowly getting worse. The difference is not dramatic but a subtle difference I noticed over the last 5 years. This, plus some other factors, have made me put money where my mouth is and not buy an epic pass for the last two years, instead I purchase buddy passes and purchase ski tickets at other resorts. I have not regretted my decision and while this is 100% anecdotal evidence based on my tastes, in this case the customer is always right. You may have different opinions.

What was surprising to me was that last year I wondered if I should have bought a pass, especially with the great season that we had however I was really happy that I didn't. For the four or five days that I skied at Tahoe Vail resorts, I was as disappointed more than ever with their operations. I know that four or five days is a small sample size but it was enough to convince me not to buy a pass this year and considering what Vail is doing with Kirkwood I have not yet regretted my decision although I am very disappointed. It is rather bittersweet.

And to clarify, what really bugs me about Vail is the sneakiness. While I was upset that Kirkwood closed "early" last season, I defended Vail because customers knew the closing dates months ahead and they didn't advertise staying open "as conditions permit." But everything from free cookies/shuttles disappearing from Heavenly sans any notice to Northstar parking rates being announced after a lot of passes were already sold has pissed me off.

And for the record, if Vail decided to save on operational costs and save the environment for next season by not opening Kirkwood until it got natural snow, I wouldn't have a problem with that if Vail announced the change this season before people bought their passes.

SB opened Lincoln in the early afternoon today because of (my guess) skeleton crew.

I bet kirkwood doesn’t open 4 for a few more weeks. Weed whacking (I’m totally serious about this!) And the gnome hiding

Jeff’s Line. That’s a fun run at low tide. Some large boulders in the gut are fun to hit mid run with speed.

Ski school and Norms are also super fun at low tide.

you can get back to early December lift openings now...

That split boarder shot is awesome

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

That's the definition of dawn (or dusk?) patrol! Looks like it was an awesome day

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    Rumor is stagecoach will open tomorrow. With coverage so good on upper Nevada I would think it would be easy to open California, unless they don’t want to spend the money yet, or they have not staffed up yet.
    Possibly. However i made turns on the face on November 27th and went back 3 days later after Heavenly reported another 11" on their snow stake (and I watched it fall at work in Stateline). My tracks and skintrack were exactly the same. Point being the Cali side likely isn't doing as well as Nevada.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by splitter View Post

you can get back to early December lift openings now...
    Great photo and another big reason I didn’t get an epic pass. I mean, stay out of Tahoe backcountry, Vail is doing a great opening terrain. Nothing but avalanches and buried weak layers out there...

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    SB opened Lincoln in the early afternoon today because of (my guess) skeleton crew.

I bet kirkwood doesn’t open 4 for a few more weeks. Weed whacking (I’m totally serious about this!) And the gnome hiding

Jeff’s Line. That’s a fun run at low tide. Some large boulders in the gut are fun to hit mid run with speed.

Ski school and Norms are also super fun at low tide.
    The weed whacking isn't a requirement if they get enough snow, but they have done it before. They'll open it around the 15th, like always. The hotels really start to fill up around the 19th. Everything is dead until then.

Quote Originally Posted by hercule33 View Post
    Great photo and another big reason I didn’t get an epic pass. I mean, stay out of Tahoe backcountry, Vail is doing a great opening terrain. Nothing but avalanches and buried weak layers out there...
    so are you saying that can't be done by someone with an epic pass?
    you know hating on vail is kinda my thing, but even i am finding this sort of weird.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    so are you saying that can't be done by someone with an epic pass?
    you know hating on vail is kinda my thing, but even i am finding this sort of weird.
    No, I am saying that these days I prefer the backcountry to resorts, although I still enjoy resort riding. That isn’t directly a result of the Epic Pass but rather a personal realization after trying backcountry skiing. I was trying to be sarcastic with keeping people out of the Tahoe backcountry, but I guess I failed.

there is literally nothing you could say while quoting that picture that would keep people out of the backcountry

there is literally nothing you could say while quoting that picture that would keep people out of the backcountry
    "Ebola falling out of the clouds."
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

The Official 19/20 Tahoe Ski Snowboard Thread. Plus bonus Bootfitting Recs!

Glad you liked the photo. All it took was some calories, coffee, and an offering to the p-Tex gods.

Last edited by splitter; 12-06-2019 at 08:11 AM.

Possibly. However i made turns on the face on November 27th and went back 3 days later after Heavenly reported another 11" on their snow stake (and I watched it fall at work in Stateline). My tracks and skintrack were exactly the same. Point being the Cali side likely isn't doing as well as Nevada.
    Even coverage heading up the gondy looks like shit below 8500, guessing the top of gunny up is looking pretty good.

Cool pic splitter!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by splitter View Post
    Glad you liked the photo. All it took was some calories, coffee, and an offering to the p-Tex gods.

Free bc gear? Discount stud finder? Cool!

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using TGR Forums mobile app

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Sweet pic, splitter.

Yea, there’s a dramatic difference in snow quality above gunbarrel. Even the snow quality from carson pass vs Kirkwood was huge.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1059.JPG 
Views:	136 
Size:	534.1 KB 
ID:	305003

Name:	IMG_1058.JPG 
Views:	137 
Size:	658.5 KB 
ID:	305004

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

For the "never tried Mt.Rose" peeps.
    Now on Friday afternoons, you can get Tix for $49! (excludes usual blackout days).

Also saw AM has new Tree Cirque lift open.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using TGR Forums mobile app

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Still fun pow up high today, ready for the refresh to roll in though

Name:	BCXJ1384[1].jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	323.8 KB 
ID:	305079

heads up

the gas station in Kirkwood will be closed this weekend

fuel up
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    "Ebola falling out of the clouds."
    Depends. What’s the moisture content? I prefer my Ebola to be blower.

In case anyone is wondering, Mammoth is worth the drive right now. Even more terrain open than I expected. Storm rolling in shortly...
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Snow was holding up well today away from the ridges anyway

Name:	953AEA5A-52B7-4B86-9D99-688C2620750E.jpeg 
Views:	127 
Size:	251.8 KB 
ID:	305102

Name:	49A47E10-3BE1-48E7-9873-637CE637884B.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	641.6 KB 
ID:	305101

Name:  7E589C03-5A19-4A93-B3F6-DF9DC0773756.jpeg
Views: 619
Size:  108.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by hercule33 View Post
    Pretty sad that Kirkwood doesn’t have the whole mountain open by now. Shows you where Kirkwood is on Vail’s priority list. On a brighter side, Carson Pass backcountry must be fat. Wonder who will get the first descent of the season on Crescent.
    Everyone should check out Josh Daiek's instagram. Holeee fuck that could have been worse
    https://www.instagram.com/joshdaiek/?hl=en

Wow that is scary. Check out this SAC report too.

https://www.sierraavalanchecenter.or...1215/round-top

Stay safe out there in the backcountry especially with the new snow coming. And thanks for the stoke powdork.