Page 128 of 165 FirstFirst ... 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 ... LastLast
Results 3,176 to 3,200 of 4118
    Quote Originally Posted by HJ5 View Post
    Keeping up with the trails thread, I celebrated end of self-isolation and a negative COVID test from my partner by taking a run on the Dry Pond loop down here. At the Thomas Creek parking lot, there was a guy idling his four wheeler at the trailhead sign. Dude was wearing green sweatpants, a t-shirt, and running shoes. Expecting the worst, I asked him what he was looking for and sure enough he goes "Do you know if you can ride four wheelers on this trail?" (obviously, trails in Galena Creek Rec Area are only open to mountain bikes, hikers, and horses). In the nicest way possible, I told him to stick to the god damn designated Forest Service roads, jesus christ please for all that is good. He was so desperately oblivious that I couldn't even be mad at him in the moment. Oh and he added that his wife had looked for places for him to ride on All Trails. Holy hell.

It's getting hot AF running down here now, but all the hikers in Reno have fled to Rose Summit/Tahoe Meadows so I'll take the heat for quieter trails. There's also just something special about running in the heat, totally exposed to the sun and elements. Maybe it's just heat exhaustion.

Also, if the climate crisis has slipped your mind, it was as hot in NYC today as it typically is in the South, right around 100. And if you talk about heat index, it was comparable to Vegas in NYC these past couple days. On top of it hitting 100 in Siberia last week. Jet Stream is doing some wonky things now with all this extra heat.
    My favorite thing in that area is when I catch up on foot to an uphill mountain biker, wobbling and ready to fall off. I am not at all fast running, but damn I feel fast when I catch a bike. Happening more than ever w/ all the new entrants to the sport

Small world. I also just got done self isolating after a negative test and run in that area a lot. There's something special about charging uphill when it's 100 degrees outside. Some days it's like you can smell the heat in the warm dust and drying pine needles

Quote Originally Posted by truckeelocal View Post
    I was being a little facetious given that it's leaning at something like 15 degrees. I didn't know they were going to allow access.
    And to another point made above ... anyone ANYONE who uses trails should go out and build/maintain trail first. Why ? Because they don't know how much thought and effort go into (most) (legal) trails. For example they wouldn't cut trail (unless it's snow covered).
    I haven't seen the hotel, only pictures. It was built without a foundation. The Trust poured footings and lifted the thing onto them. I believe they're still working on it.

I am certainly not advocating that people go out and cut trail on their own. If someone identifies public land they think deserves a trail they should contact the agency about it. If the agency is agreeable, round up some folks to volunteer labor to work under the supervision of the agency. If the land is private try approaching the owner about letting you build trail or contact a local NGO like the Land Trust about purchasing the land and building trail, again under the guidance of someone who knows how to route and construct trail properly. Obviously a lot of hard physical and bureaucratic work and it won't happen overnight but wishing on TGR that someone will build trails isn't going to make it happen.

The Official 19/20 Tahoe Ski Snowboard Thread. Plus bonus Bootfitting Recs!

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Speaking of bay area entitlement. Are there any other trails you've never built that youd like to contribute to the overpopulation and potential demise of?

Jesus crist dude. Just shut your word hole. Just because other people are idiots doesn't mean you have to join the club. Funny how those who do the least amount of work, and hence have the least amount to lose, always want to tell everyone else how to address the hard work they were never a part of.
    I'm going to take a deep breath here.

So the information I posted has been WIDELY distributed in recent days on both Facebook and Instagram. A few of the sources saying stay the fuck off these specific trails so our access doesn't get screwed up are the people maintaining them - I literally copied and pasted. So with all due respect, go fuck yourself. If you're so wired in, take it up with them since you should know who I'm referring to. Most are aware enough to realize that those bay area morons can look at maps on a computer and see all of that shit right there, fully labeled and documented.

The town I'm from most people don't even consider part of the bay area... so nice try there, asshole. Kevin, I sure as shit hope you're at least born and raised in the Truckee area with the amount of localism bullshit you sling around. And yeah, some of the other aforementioned trails recently mentioned in this thread I actually have put time and effort into. And back in Sonoma county I've helped build "backcountry" trails out at Annadel and elsewhere that see heavy traffic and yet I don't go swinging my dick around like I own them.

You can take your assumptions and shove them straight up your ass.
    Last edited by TahoeJ; 07-29-2020 at 08:50 AM.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by gnarbro365 View Post
    Man, its page 6 and early October and insults are already being hurled. This thread gon' be spicy if it doesn't snow this year.
    LOL! Burn!

Fortunately (or unfortunately?) I won’t have that problem this year. You can find me bitching about a commute in the PNWet thread.

I’ll still check in here for the spice, though. And probably to post 300+ hr forecasts...
    Maybe just some stoke from last year?

Attachment 297027
    Somethings never change. I miss Tahoe despite you guys trying your best to make me not.
    Last edited by gnarbro365; 07-28-2020 at 10:21 PM. Reason: em-fa-sys

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    Heavenly Valley will not have NSP volunteer ski patrol next season.
    The decision was only for heavenly?

Quote Originally Posted by gone2alpine View Post
    I'll take on this responsibility at the north end of the lake. Figure 8's for days in the double double roundabouts at 89/80!

Well...not true figure eights because that would not end well....
    who's got kings beach?

web cam flash mob
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    The decision was only for heavenly?
    yes
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    I'm going to take a deep breath here.
    Like a 4 year old just screaming to hear himself.

I am one of the people who built some of those trails you self important dipshit.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Heyo Fellow Mags! Me and the gf will be in south lake in few weeks and she wants to do a moderate hike to ideally see a good waterfall, any suggestions? I’ll pay ya in beers

Send a PM if it’s low key and you want to keep it off the radar from general masses

Cheers 🍻

eagle falls, cascade falls, lilly lake falls (might be too late in season), horsetail falls
    go early to get a parking spot.....its a tourist shitshow here these days

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Like a 4 year old just screaming to hear himself.

I am one of the people who built some of those trails you self important dipshit.
    I know. Maybe you should talk to your friends who were going around posting exactly what I copy & pasted. Also maybe stop making assumptions about someone you don't know. Dipshit.

Like I said, I've built trails and seen them get completely blown up. It happens and it's not because of mentioning their names on obscure internet forums or social media, it's because of Strava and mapping apps.

Every time you open your mouth stupid shit comes out of it

let me get this straight. you go and build trails not on your property or on government property that are not sanctioned or approved by any body, people find them, ride them, and post about them; then you go and call them out as entitled dipshits and newbies and tell them to shut up. You guys are definitively taking the high ground and a bit clueless about foreseeing the ramifications of your own actions.

Strava does suck and even more so are the douches that use it and developed it.

🍿🥤

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    lilly lake falls (might be too late in season)
    Ha I made the mistake of heading out on the boat on a Saturday recently. Trying to leave The marina reminded me of trying to leave a concert or sports event in a big city, total gridlock. Guessing completely backed up bumper to bumper to lily lake only to find no parking on a single lane road then turning around. Did not move one inch for like 20 minutes.

FOR THE SAKE OF WINTER, WE MUST STAY VIGILANT
    29 July 2020
    Open Letter from Vail Resorts CEO Rob Katz to Communities, Guests and Employees

What will the 2020-21 ski and snowboard season look like? We are still in the heat of July – still celebrating the successful opening of our resorts for summer – and that is the number one question we are getting across our 34 North American resorts. What lies ahead for winter? We remain optimistic that we’ll have a great ski season. And we are actively preparing our resorts to ensure our employees and guests have a safe and enjoyable experience this winter amid the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. But we also know that without strong, healthy communities, none of that matters.

We often talk about how our mountain resorts and communities are joined at the hip. We operate in the same ecosystem, we need each other to succeed and survive. The importance of this partnership was evident in the collective effort it took to safely reopen for summer. But that was not the end of the race – it was the beginning. For the sake of winter, we must stay vigilant with safety as our number one priority – now and through the entire winter season. There are two things we collectively must keep top of mind:

1. We cannot get complacent. With the recent COVID-19 resurgence in the United States and around the world, we need to assume that we will still be dealing with the impacts of the virus throughout the winter season. Even if new COVID-19 cases decline – nationally or locally – we must assume the virus will reemerge. We cannot relax restrictions or protocols. We cannot get caught trying to play catch up to the virus during the ski season. We have to remain out front in our approach. Exacerbating that reality is the fact that each one of our communities is a destination for visitors from countless other cities. This is our greatest strength, but it can also be a weakness. We cannot only look at the COVID-19 data in our local communities. By welcoming people to our resorts from other locations we need to realize that we will be taking on their COVID-19 experience as well. Therefore, for us to be successful we need to enforce protocols and procedures now that can work all season.

2. Safety is not optional. At Vail Resorts, we are strong advocates for face coverings and believe that in public gathering spaces – indoors and outdoors – everyone needs to wear a face covering at all times. There should be limited exceptions in areas designated for eating and drinking, but just as other tourist destinations have required, we must ensure that face coverings are not optional if you are walking around with a drink or snack in your hand. We also believe that physical distancing between unrelated parties is a must – which means events or other public gatherings that don’t allow for 6 feet of distancing should be restricted or limited. This goes for gatherings in town and on the mountain. We need to accept that this will likely be the reality for the full season. We are certainly not experts on infectious disease and cannot dictate the local regulations of our communities, but these are simple measures that will contribute to our collective success. And they need to be executed now, so they become ingrained well before the ski season begins.

To our guests, visitors, employees and residents: We need your support, compassion and understanding that staying vigilant in our communities now, and in the months ahead, will help us all have a successful winter. While we cannot completely control the behaviors of visitors, we are committed to enhancing our communications to our guests to ensure they at least understand our expectations of them when they come. We all know enforcement can be a challenge, but with repetition and local alignment, we can ensure people comply and respect this approach to safety.

COVID-19 has significantly impacted every one of our mountain resort communities. The closure of our resorts in March came with a heavy financial and human cost to our company, as well as to so many businesses and people throughout the towns, cities, counties, provinces and states where we operate. In the midst of these challenges, it has been inspiring to see how everyone has come together to support one another and help chart a course forward. We cannot lose that momentum.

All of us want to protect our local economies and our communities. All of us want a great ski and snowboard season. To make that a reality – all of us must remain vigilant. Together, let’s set a tone and demonstrate that we are leaders in offering the safest and most enjoyable experience, anywhere in the world.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Wow... this is worse than the year it only snowed twice - was that 2012 or 2013? at least that year, the GSA graced us with his presence. this is just a train wreck....

at the very least, here's something jaw dropping to look at....

The K-12 dude. You make a gnarly run like that and girls will get sterile just looking at you - Charles De Mar

Quote Originally Posted by Piggity View Post
    Heyo Fellow Mags! Me and the gf will be in south lake in few weeks and she wants to do a moderate hike to ideally see a good waterfall, any suggestions? I’ll pay ya in beers

Send a PM if it’s low key and you want to keep it off the radar from general masses

Cheers ��
    One of the traditional activities for newcomers to the South Lake Area is to get stuck climbing Horsetail Falls (it's a trail, sort of) and need to be rescued. Or fall. You can skip the beer. (It's not actually hard but scary for some people and people do have to be rescued once in a while, hopefully not anyone who calls themselves a mag or their gf.)

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I am certainly not advocating that people go out and cut trail on their own. If someone identifies public land they think deserves a trail they should contact the agency about it. If the agency is agreeable, round up some folks to volunteer labor to work under the supervision of the agency.
    If only it were that easy. Figure 2-3 years of planning and reviews with the agency (assuming they're even interested in the project), possible public hearings depending on the agency and land involved, NEPA EIS or CEQA EIR ($$$), etc.. Then clearing or routing around major obstacles and flagging the route. Then the actual trail building - figure 30-50 feet/day/person for a hand cut trail (full bench cut to USFS spec) with an experienced crew, depending on soil and terrain. For 10 miles of trail that's 1000-1800 worker days - hope you have some dedicated volunteers. Or do machine built, faster but requires paying for the machine and possibly an operator, more $$$. Plus you still need a crew to hand finish after the machine does the rough cut. Oh, and you have liability insurance for that volunteer crew don't you?

TDLT has spent over 10 years planning and building the Donner Lake Rim Trail - and they're only half done (mostly the part they own).

Good thing the CCC didn't have to worry about a lot of this - there would be a fraction of the trail that's available today.

Quote Originally Posted by teledad View Post
    If only it were that easy. Figure 2-3 years of planning and reviews with the agency (assuming they're even interested in the project), possible public hearings depending on the agency and land involved, NEPA EIS or CEQA EIR ($$$), etc.. Then clearing or routing around major obstacles and flagging the route. Then the actual trail building - figure 30-50 feet/day/person for a hand cut trail (full bench cut to USFS spec) with an experienced crew, depending on soil and terrain. For 10 miles of trail that's 1000-1800 worker days - hope you have some dedicated volunteers. Or do machine built, faster but requires paying for the machine and possibly an operator, more $$$. Plus you still need a crew to hand finish after the machine does the rough cut. Oh, and you have liability insurance for that volunteer crew don't you?

TDLT has spent over 10 years planning and building the Donner Lake Rim Trail - and they're only half done (mostly the part they own).

Good thing the CCC didn't have to worry about a lot of this - there would be a fraction of the trail that's available today.
    Thanks for expanding on what I said. I didn't mean to imply it would be easy. But without considerable citizen effort it won't happen at all. The guvment has other things on its mind and other things to spend money on these days and for the foreseeable future.

Trail building for non motorized use should be exempt from CEQA (class 4) and excluded from NEPA, IMHO.

If a landowner is aware trails are being built on it and they are ok with it, it should be perfectly understandable for the builder or anyone riding it to need to keep it on the low....how do you guys not understand that more traffic = more deforestation and pissing landowners off...do you guys know how many random people view this site? You have no idea the amount of traffic this website generates...there’s a reason how if you google the trails you mentioned that you have to do a good amount of research to actually find it.

The Official 19/20 Tahoe Ski Snowboard Thread. Plus bonus Bootfitting Recs!

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Trail building for non motorized use should be exempt from CEQA (class 4) and excluded from NEPA, IMHO.
    Good luck with that. Ha. You can technically get away with an initial study so long as no one appeals or files / threatens suit, but we know how that goes.

The only unsanctioned trails I’ve taken part in building we had permission per se but they were technically unofficial to avoid the red tape (and prohibitive cost). “We’ll look the other way.” There’s a lot of that going on because the process in most parts of this state is so over the top ridiculous.

Private landowners IME are mostly concerned about liability. If a trail was built “illegally” on their land they can’t (or aren’t as likely) to be held accountable if something bad happens. Maybe that’s true, maybe not, but that’s the perception.

Anyway I already removed mention of those Martis trail names and wouldn’t have done so in the first place if I hadn’t already seen that being posted all over social media, etc. - I got the impression they were more concerned about riders interfering in this case than trying to keep the names on the downlow. Also, and I know this may sound crazy, but asking nicely instead of slinging a bunch of shit and jumping to conclusions with personal attacks goes a long way.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Wonder why there’s an IMBA quote in there. They have nothing to do with mtn biking.