Page 104 of 165 FirstFirst ... 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 ... LastLast
Results 2,576 to 2,600 of 4118
    thanks for the pix gimpy. its cool to see those heavenly lines with no tracks or avi mitigation. the few times i've hit them totally untouched i've been in too big a hurry to take pictures

Just do what the town/city/county you are going to recommends regarding visiting and travel.

As far as a crystal ball prediction as to when or what? No friggin clue.

Oh boy, the memories of Killebrew to Mott laps. Heavenly would get a ton of flack back in the day and I was like WHAT??? That zone is pretty pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Gman View Post
    Hypothetical question for the group. When do you think it's okay for non tahoe area residents to visit again? With a vaccine for covid-19 likely 18+ months away, are people planning on not going to tahoe until a vaccine is released? I'm not even talking about travelling just for skiing but rather visiting. It seems to me that shelter in place will gradually be reduced but that we're going to be living with this for a while. I'm curious to hear what people's thoughts are on this. From a personal standpoint, I'd love to spend some time in Tahoe in July but don't want to be an additional burden on the local community.
    I've got a place in kirkwood and I've been trying to stay sporting: going up only for longer periods of time (reduce overall travel) and bringing literally everything I need with me from home (groceries, supplies, etc). The only person I see is Dave walking his dog with coffee in the morning, and the marmots pissed that I'm schralping by while they try to sun on a rock.

The Official 19/20 Tahoe Ski Snowboard Thread. Plus bonus Bootfitting Recs!

How has it been lately? I was thinking of holing up at our friends place for a week soon. Same deal. Figured there might be some okay snow left. Need to grab a few things I left up there in March. So want to lay as well if it’s nice.

Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post
    Oh boy, the memories of Killebrew to Mott laps. Heavenly would get a ton of flack back in the day and I was like WHAT??? That zone is pretty pretty good.

I was at heavenly two years ago touring a family around. We got a lap on Pipeline and they went to lunch. I was planning to hit Dipper to the top of Stateline then lap Mott while they waited in line at East Peak. Got over there and the gates were closed. Mott broke down. So sad.

That is by far my favorite zone at Heave, but there are plenty of fun zones when the snow is cold and loaded.
    Last edited by Ottime; 05-12-2020 at 02:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by emcee View Post
    I've got a place in kirkwood and I've been trying to stay sporting: going up only for longer periods of time (reduce overall travel) and bringing literally everything I need with me from home (groceries, supplies, etc). The only person I see is Dave walking his dog with coffee in the morning, and the marmots pissed that I'm schralping by while they try to sun on a rock.
    It should be pretty clear by now that travelers from the bay area and second homeowners is not how the virus is spreading. Nevada County, which includes Truckee has no new cases in a couple of weeks. Tahoe Forest Hospital and the grocery stores seem to have no more difficulty handling things than normal. Bringing food for a short stay is probably a good idea. Outdoor recreating is clearly not how the disease is spreading. Driving in your car doesn't spread the virus, unless someone in your car that you don't live with has the bug and gives it to you.

OTOH we know of a couple who are locals, acquired Covid 19 early in the pandemic but trying to travel internationally, stayed home until symptoms gone and then started shopping etc, and just tested positive. Apparently never had a negative test, just decided it was ok to go out when they felt well. Wouldn't be surprised to see some cases due to that.

What's important is keeping bars, restaurants, churches, etc etc closed, not people traveling to shelter at home and in the outdoors.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post

What's important is keeping bars, restaurants, churches, etc etc closed, not people traveling to shelter at home and in the outdoors.
    Meanwhile, after sitting alone in my 1 bedroom bay area apartment for the past 9ish weeks I still can't go to a state park but they are opening up restaurants soon . I'm hoping to get really lucky and catch a Sonora pass BC day some point before all the snow melts but that hope dwindles with every new announcement. The problem is for some reason all my non outdoorsy friends (aka most of the non TGR world unfortunately) think going outside is more dangerous than the grocery store and there is no political pressure to reopen because nobody is going broke because I can't camp 50 miles from the nearest town.

PS Thanks all for the stoke above it made me happy some are still able to get after it I'm a kick ass indoor bike trainer rider now though.

It should be pretty clear by now that travelers from the bay area and second homeowners is not how the virus is spreading. Nevada County, which includes Truckee has no new cases in a couple of weeks.
    I'm definitely curious to see how things develop over the next few weeks as shelter in place orders are relaxed. There has been a noticeable increase in people around the basin as the weather has gotten warmer.
    No kick turns
    No mercy

This past weekend was pretty packed in Santa Cruz. Highway 17 and 1 surely suggested a lot of traffic into town each day and out of town each evening.

Alpine County still doesn’t want you in KW
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

It should be pretty clear by now that travelers from the bay area and second homeowners is not how the virus is spreading. Nevada County, which includes Truckee has no new cases in a couple of weeks. Tahoe Forest Hospital and the grocery stores seem to have no more difficulty handling things than normal. Bringing food for a short stay is probably a good idea. Outdoor recreating is clearly not how the disease is spreading. Driving in your car doesn't spread the virus, unless someone in your car that you don't live with has the bug and gives it to you.

OTOH we know of a couple who are locals, acquired Covid 19 early in the pandemic but trying to travel internationally, stayed home until symptoms gone and then started shopping etc, and just tested positive. Apparently never had a negative test, just decided it was ok to go out when they felt well. Wouldn't be surprised to see some cases due to that.

restaurants are opening in NV county probably tomorrow or Thursday. we'll see how that goes in about 2 or 3 weeks....

If they spread the tables out and take proper precautions, a restaurant doesn't necessarily need to be any more dangerous than a grocery store. But we'll see. If it was just local community it would probably be fine, but that will attract the tourists. I have the exact same concerns here in Sonoma, as we are about to do the same... and we're much closer to SF and people do day trips all the time.

I agree. In either circumstance, all it takes is somebody who is infected and not wearing a mask to cough... say because they “swallow down the wrong pipe,” or, at a restaurant, because they ate something spicy to spread a lot of virus spittle.

I think some of the requirements for mask wearing in restaurants and retail stores will result in more people wearing masks in g

something that the County is still not allowing is “Leisure travel.” They are currently enforcing that by not allowing private campgrounds to open and not allowing hotels to open (except for essential workers).... so that means more people are using federal lands for camping, and there are no services (like toilets) open on those federal lands.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    If they spread the tables out and take proper precautions, a restaurant doesn't necessarily need to be any more dangerous than a grocery store. But we'll see. If it was just local community it would probably be fine, but that will attract the tourists. I have the exact same concerns here in Sonoma, as we are about to do the same... and we're much closer to SF and people do day trips all the time.
    The problem with a restaurant is that you are indoors, sitting near the same infected person (and 6 feet is not enough in that scenario) for a prolonged period of time. In the grocery store you may pass closely but the encounter is brief. And hopefully you are wearing masks, tough to do in a restaurant and not clear that they will help much over a long period of time. The closure of parks, beaches, etc doesn't make sense to me. Strict parking enforcement should take care of the crowding issue. A lot of the pictures you see of the beaches are with a long lens, which greatly compresses the apparent distance between groups. That said I haven't been to the beach lately. Grocery stores are wide open with tall ceilings, you're not going to have the concentration of bugs you would in most restaurants. And the beach has a very high ceiling.

There's not a lot of science behind what's closed and what's open. In Truckee the state park was open with a XC trail groomed daily--until someone in Sacramento decided all the state parks in the state needed to close.

I think hotels and airbnbs need to stay closed. If the previous occupant was sick there is no way that room or house will be adequately sanitized for the next person. And no way would I take public transportation of any kind right now.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1176.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	1.66 MB 
ID:	328294Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1243.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	328295Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1294.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	328296Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1303.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	328297

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Name:	IMG_0906.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	328300Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0931.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	1,017.8 KB 
ID:	328301Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0948.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	328302
    And my fave from that day on other side of lens. Pic by tbc

Name:	IMG_0950.jpg 
Size:	1.90 MB 
ID:	328303

Name:	IMG_1013.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	328305Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1015.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	592.5 KB 
ID:	328306Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0790.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	328307Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0833.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	1.67 MB 
ID:	328308Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2772.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	328309

And then came the sun chasing

Name:	IMG_1384.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	328310Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1445.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	328311Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1449.jpg 
Size:	1,001.0 KB 
ID:	328312Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1539.jpg 
Size:	808.1 KB 
ID:	328313Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1476.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	328314Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1549.jpg 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	328316Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1573.jpg 
Size:	676.1 KB 
ID:	328317

Tbc

nice pictures, Gimpy!

The problem with a restaurant is that you are indoors, sitting near the same infected person (and 6 feet is not enough in that scenario) for a prolonged period of time. In the grocery store you may pass closely but the encounter is brief. And hopefully you are wearing masks, tough to do in a restaurant and not clear that they will help much over a long period of time. The closure of parks, beaches, etc doesn't make sense to me. Strict parking enforcement should take care of the crowding issue. A lot of the pictures you see of the beaches are with a long lens, which greatly compresses the apparent distance between groups. That said I haven't been to the beach lately. Grocery stores are wide open with tall ceilings, you're not going to have the concentration of bugs you would in most restaurants. And the beach has a very high ceiling.

There's not a lot of science behind what's closed and what's open. In Truckee the state park was open with a XC trail groomed daily--until someone in Sacramento decided all the state parks in the state needed to close.

I think hotels and airbnbs need to stay closed. If the previous occupant was sick there is no way that room or house will be adequately sanitized for the next person. And no way would I take public transportation of any kind right now.
    i'm not disagreeing about the argument of potential hazard from restaurants, but NV County is moving forward (unless the state says, "no!"). here's the county's current guidance docs for bizes: https://www.mynevadacounty.com/2927/...usinessesEmplo. The County has acknowledged that this could likely bring infected people into the area to frequent the newly re-opened businesses. we'll know if a few weeks. knowing several restaurant owners in my area, some are stoked and will be opening as soon as it's allowed, and some are waiting, partially because they are not convinced that it'll be problematic from a health perspective and because supply chains are all fucked up.

ETA: here's the whole shabang about current CA re-opening. I'm sure the list (and links) of counties will grow, but it includes all tahoe-area CA counties: https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CID...estations.aspx.

I still do not understand some of this list, e.g., restaurants but not movie theatres. Also, small controlled fitness environment, like dojo's, are lumped with open large gyms. and camping... people are traveling and camping now and staying on federal lands.... this will eventually become a health hazard, not necessarily from covid19, but sanitation and wildfire. there can be "safe" ways to open private campgrounds.
    Last edited by bodywhomper; 05-12-2020 at 07:52 PM.

Vets is offline Orange Mocha Frappuccino!
    I'll add some more Mott Canyon love with some pictures from what turned out to be Heavenly's closing day of the season, March 14th.
    I was fortunate to be one of about a dozen members of the Mott Canyon Country Club since Mott remained open just after upper chairs such as Dipper closed due to wind.

Name:	IMG4675cr031420.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	1.95 MB 
ID:	328342

Name:	IMG4677cr031420.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	1.87 MB 
ID:	328333

Name:	IMG4681cr031420.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	328336

Name:	IMG4683cr031420.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	1.93 MB 
ID:	328337

Name:	IMG4688cr031420.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	2.28 MB 
ID:	328341

Quote Originally Posted by davjr96 View Post
    I'm hoping to get really lucky and catch a Sonora pass BC day some point before all the snow melts but that hope dwindles with every new announcement.
    Leavitt Lake snotel site is holding on at 59 inches snow depth. It’s been cold the past few days and it’s gonna stay pretty cool for a little bit... there’s hope yet!

Quote Originally Posted by HJ5 View Post
    Leavitt Lake snotel site is holding on at 59 inches snow depth. It’s been cold the past few days and it’s gonna stay pretty cool for a little bit... there’s hope yet!
    Yeah conditions looks good but it's more of a question of whether or not I'll be welcome before the snow melts, and that is looking unlikely. Always next year

nice score vets! during the season i will only visit mott when dipper is closed which is hardly ever. whats the inside local word on sonora opening vets?, seeing as you live pretty close to it

coming up to tahoe to recreate outdoors and stay in at night and maybe ordering takeout seems harmless enough to me right now. our hospitals never got overloaded which was the initial concern with visitors from out of town. bathrooms being closed at snoparks and trailheads seems to be the biggest concern with the van lifers having to shit in a hole outside instead. they reopened the bathrooms at va lakes to prevent that from happening there but they are still locked on the pass here. just be sure to unload your extra baggage before showing up at trailheads.

Amador County doesn't have a whole lot to say one way or another about my residency, except that "property taxes are still due in April and delinquency is not excused by the current pandemic".

The BC up in the valley is interesting as of a week ago. The hot days and hotter nights were not kind to the snowpack. A few new inches would go a long way to smooth things over.

Name:	IMG_20200502_111621.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	328368

Half Moon still in play if that falls within your 60%

Name:	IMG_20200502_172458.jpg 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	328369

I'll keep the Heavenly stoke going. The hike up from the Stagecoach base was popular until the signs went up warning of fines. Being by myself I stuck to mellower terrain like North Bowl Woods and StagecoachClick image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00451.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	328372.
    "Holy Cow!" someone exclaimed from the back of the stationwagon.