Page 102 of 165 FirstFirst ... 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 ... LastLast
Results 2,526 to 2,550 of 4118

The Official 19/20 Tahoe Ski Snowboard Thread. Plus bonus Bootfitting Recs!

What’s the over under on Sugar Bowl giving it the old Mt. Baldy try?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4236.JPG 
Views:	128 
Size:	459.0 KB 
ID:	327081

^^Deep cat track traversing across bacon’s and market street?

Quote Originally Posted by B.Gillis View Post
    What’s the over under on Sugar Bowl giving it the old Mt. Baldy try?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4236.JPG 
Views:	128 
Size:	459.0 KB 
ID:	327081
    Summer road, lift maint, events @ Dis. Quietly went off the Powder Alliance pass too.

I’ve only been to SB a few times so I couldn’t remember the layout off of Disney. Just thought it was interesting watching them work while I was up there. Lift maintenance work was what I was figuring but couldn’t help poke a little fun. It’s amazing how stacked Lincoln and Disney are still.

Heh, SB typically closes by end of April even in normal times. Snow coverage looks good for now but it's down to 2-3 feet in the flats and it'll start showing bare ground pretty soon (West Judah is pretty much burned out already). Plus everyone's moved on and is riding Jackass anyway.

Good points

Quote Originally Posted by Westmeister View Post
    Summer road, lift maint, events @ Dis. Quietly went off the Powder Alliance pass too.
    I'm told they're grooming XC trails for the SB homeowners who are stuck in their slopeside mansions.
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

The Official 19/20 Tahoe Ski Snowboard Thread. Plus bonus Bootfitting Recs!

Quote Originally Posted by powpig View Post
    I'm told they're grooming XC trails for the SB homeowners who are stuck in their slopeside mansions.
    Well, it is their resort... I believe the HOA owns the property of the xc trails.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Well, it is their resort... I believe the HOA owns the property of the xc trails.
    I'm also told they've discussed the scenario and crunched the numbers and come up with a per family cost to open SB for their own private use should the lockdown continue through what would be the 20-21 ski season.
    I guess if you can afford a multi million dollar slopeside mansion, a few dozen thousand dollars for your share of a private ski area is barely a blip on the radar. Some would probably even prefer it.
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

I don’t know the details of their permit from USFS.... I believe the HOA members float the hill when it is in the red.

Quote Originally Posted by powpig View Post
    I'm also told they've discussed the scenario and crunched the numbers and come up with a per family cost to open SB for their own private use should the lockdown continue through what would be the 20-21 ski season.
    I guess if you can afford a multi million dollar slopeside mansion, a few dozen thousand dollars for your share of a private ski area is barely a blip on the radar. Some would probably even prefer it.
    If SB is going to become the Yellowstone Club of Tahoe then it will certainly will need some super rich folks to buy properties there, not just the “regular rich.”

And remember even with the super rich members like Bill Gates, the Yellowstone Club went bankrupt in the financial crisis of 2008. On the other hand if Zuckerberg wants to buy all of Sugar Bowl and the surrounding properties, he was more than enough money to turn it into his private resort.

Pretty sure the USFS would have something to say about that.

Quote Originally Posted by hercule33 View Post
    If SB is going to become the Yellowstone Club of Tahoe then it will certainly will need some super rich folks to buy properties there, not just the “regular rich.”

And remember even with the super rich members like Bill Gates, the Yellowstone Club went bankrupt in the financial crisis of 2008. On the other hand if Zuckerberg wants to buy all of Sugar Bowl and the surrounding properties, he was more than enough money to turn it into his private resort.
    One of the owners was the late Warren Hellman (Hellman's Chute), investment banker, from the family that owned Wells Fargo and Lehman Bros, He owned Levi Strauss among other properties. I don't know if he qualified as uber rich but he had enough to put on a free Americana festival in Golden Gate Park with 100+ acts, 5 stages, and to endow it so that it continues after his death. (Also a champion ride and tie competitor and a touring bluegrass banjo player.)

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Given the current leadership, the something may be, “how much are you willing to pay? Need a tax break?”

Also Don and Doris Fisher - founders of The Gap. Some other SF finance money as well.

SB could run on all private land if they just stuck to Disney and Nob.

how about NZ-style where you get an old tractor engine, some long rope, a few pilings, and put up a temporary DIY rope tow slope off the highway

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Until Zuck makes a huge donation to them and some politicians in influential positions...

Mt Rose announced its 2020-21 renewal pricing, which includes a discount, and your choice of credit towards following year or full refund, if you do not use pass by Dec 15:

https://skirose.com/2021-season-passes/
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Also mt rose has resumed on mountain operations as of monday, clearing downed trees etc. Guy I talked to yesterday made it sound like if people act like dumbasses around the ops they'll close parking lots, etc. Just a heads up for anyone looking to skin for suncups or the chutes

Anybody been up Western States/Painted Rock? I've found snow-free trails on south aspects up to about 7500. Wondering about the shadier stuff that's not south. Seems like there are still lots of patches in shadows.

BTW, I've unfortunately been using the Truckee hospital's services for non-elective issues. Even had to use a vent for unexpected surgery. It sucked, but damn am I glad there was one available for use! Hospital staff/docs/nurses told me that they weren't busy in late March/early April when people were staying home, but have seen near normal busy-ness the last two weeks - seeing lots more out-of-town folks, MTB injuries, and more regular ER-type visits. TFHS is resuming some stuff next week, including non-emergency procedures, but still following significant social distancing measures to minimize risk of transmission.

Hope everyone is getting out and enjoying the nice weather, but keeping it 60%. Good time to work on fundamentals.

TFHS is the shit - amazing professionals for a small town, the nurses knew my kids, and full of friendly and good people serving all of us at great personal risk to themselves. Big ups to them for saving my/our bacon.
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Anybody been up Western States/Painted Rock? I've found snow-free trails on south aspects up to about 7500. Wondering about the shadier stuff that's not south. Seems like there are still lots of patches in shadows.
    I was walking around between big chief and deer creek about a week and a half ago (also trying to rehab non elective surgery...) there were patches of snow above maybe 6500 in the shade that should be melted by now. 06 spur I crossed still had patches 2 or 3 feet deep at 6700ish. If that helps.

Sent from my SM-J737T1 using Tapatalk

Damn, Meter,

Sorry to hear about your ordeal -> at the same time, glad to hear about it in a post searching for more adventure with a positive TFHS review to boot! Be well!

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Hospital staff/docs/nurses told me that they weren't busy in late March/early April when people were staying home, but have seen near normal busy-ness the last two weeks - seeing lots more out-of-town folks, MTB injuries, and more regular ER-type visits.
    I know some will disagree, but this is actually good to hear. My doctor friends who run the ER in Napa have seen their revenue plunge by 65% and they had to get loans to avoid laying off a bunch of nurses (shifts for everyone were cut back, however) and maybe even closing the doors, literally. Which sounds crazy, but it's true.

It's a lot easier to overwhelm our health system if the system itself shrinks in advance. The irony is that everyone being so careful for a few months may have actually left us more exposed (not that I disagree with it).

there's a whole concern that people with urgent but non-emergency issues are putting off care because they are afraid to go to the hospital, resulting in huge revenue declines and a big concern among doctors that they are going to get a wave of really serious issues (that would have been less serious if dealt with earlier).

my sister in law is a nurse in the bay and she was furloughed for a few weeks due to lack of work since there's no patients (covid or otherwise).

(should we get back to hurting ourselves, at a 60% level?)

I did my part, I was in TF ER on Tuesday for 10 stitches and xrays from work. Yay #suportlocal

Had a guy come in right after me for lip stitches from a MTB crash.