Page 69 of 165 FirstFirst ... 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 ... LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,725 of 4118

The Official 19/20 Tahoe Ski Snowboard Thread. Plus bonus Bootfitting Recs!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1705.JPG 
Views:	128 
Size:	141.5 KB 
ID:	320664 yep, it was still nuking up near mount rose summit today. Went to chickadee ridge. It’s pretty mellow, but the north facing slope always goes, especially in storms. This is my first full season in the backcountry, so I decided to keep it simple for my first real storm day of the season. Snow about hip-deep, was totally reveling In breaking trail (fortunately a couple other skiers had forged the trail to the ridge from the road). Lots of fun, lots of laps. Best day all season for me, but I’m new to this.

Edit: some typos

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Incline Peak was amazing today. Snow set up and skied/rode very fast even on low angle. Got on some steeper stuff on my last lap. Rode it very defensively but it stayed put. No whoomphing, settling, or cracking observed. Only 1 car in parking area at 8am. After 1st lap the masses showed up. Gonna be good all week. And coronavirus is still a hoax.

Quote Originally Posted by BGnight View Post
    Incline Peak was amazing today. Snow set up and skied/rode very fast even on low angle. Got on some steeper stuff on my last lap. Rode it very defensively but it stayed put. No whoomphing, settling, or cracking observed. Only 1 car in parking area at 8am. After 1st lap the masses showed up. Gonna be good all week. And coronavirus is still a hoax.
    Hahaha -- win!! Stoked for all this stoke.
    sproing!

another 18" overnight kept the wiggle factor high today until i switched skis to the 135 underfoot og praxis for shuttle laps to much improvement. passed a constant conga line headed up today on the down. some folks even built a kicker at a roll. patrol was bombing today so hopefully folks are smart enough to stay out of control routes and not fuck it up for everybody. big props to tahoe keys deli who is giving free breakfast to any slt student in need+++
    still dumping now with an interesting southeast flow dropping desert dried pow. when the light is green later this week, shit is gonna go off in the basin

The foothills are a mess with outages and roadway obstructions. Looking forward to some western slope skiing soon.

A+++++ storm! When you have to dump out your hood after each lap from the egregious face shots, you know its a good time!

Yesterday, lots of big (>2 mm) dendrites were falling. Some rimed flakes as well, indicative of the deep unstable cold pool aloft promoting convection and high snowfall rates. Not super cold, hence the aggregation of flakes (technically hydrometeors).

Name:	IMG_0847.jpg 
Views:	1187 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	320704

Bijou snow study plot yesterday (Mar 15) afternoon indicated some interesting layers (esp @~20 cm above ground) albeit right-side-up density. Ballpark totals now in the 60 cm range at lake level.

Name:	IMG_0083.jpg 
Views:	1193 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	320708
    That non-smooth wall is thanks to my brushing. A drywall or painters brush is a great way to quickly explore stratigraphy. The latter weighs nothing, costs nothing, and takes up no space. Hard to get good density measurements even with the 250 cc cutter, but the first half of the storm was in the 10% with the latter half coming in at around 5%. These are probably on the low end of the uncertainty estimates but my scale is baller ("Drop it in here til this say 28"), so blame my poor sampling. Seems to have gotten even lighter overnight based on ski "sampling".

Here's those facets from the Chutes, discovered via some handpits in the upper third, not near any heat sinks (rocks, trees, etc). About 45 cm below the pre-storm snow surface. Forgot to measure the stitches on the gloves to get scale, but these are nasty! "Yeah, like sugar!"

Name:  IMG_4259.jpg
Views: 1204
Size:  1.76 MB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0083.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	320706  

Quote Originally Posted by BGnight View Post
    I am a stupid cunt
    just say that. its quicker

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Bay area is expected to go 'shelter in place' shortly
    Yeah. But your still aloud out for essentials.

Is it his touring or alpine gear? Think that might make the difference.

The Official 19/20 Tahoe Ski Snowboard Thread. Plus bonus Bootfitting Recs!

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Fuck yeah!!!! That’s what I’m talking about. You might be the thread MVP this season. God damn I need to just move to Truckee full time and quit this back and forth nonsense (just don’t tell my wife’s lawyer).
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Just stack it MN. Stack it so there's corn to harvest later when we can get out

It warmed up a lot before cooling back down in the afternoon, so lake level snow is wet, dense, and sticky. Shoveling took me a long time. But how often do you get to ski down to the beach and back?

Name:	beachstorm.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	76.1 KB 
ID:	320718

The southeast flow seems to have moved north and it's cleared up, at least for now.

Noticed how warm it was at AM base yesterday around noon. Too warm. So I’m back in Santa Cruz. Might shelter at KW next week and tour about. We are able to hike down here, but no biking allowed. Have fun in the snow.

At least in SF, solo biking while maintaining social distance is allowed. Haven't tested it yet.

(Leaving the county, however, is verboten. This thread is now FOMO central: must... not... click.)

Not Nevada. Risked the COVID by staying in Tahoe rather than escaping to someplace with <1 person per square mile for a change.

WORTH IT

Photos taken by Connor Phelan, whose blog I can highly recommend if you all need some additional stoke while stuck at home.

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-03-17 at 12.42.44 PM.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	247.7 KB 
ID:	320788

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-03-17 at 12.36.45 PM.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	240.4 KB 
ID:	320789

Hey guys,

Considering heading up to rubicon peak area tomorrow to get a tour in. I have had friends who have skied the area but none as of recently and none of those friends are going. It seems the general consensus is to either park on 89 or up in the highland drive area, but highland drive often results in tickets (for obvious reasons, snow removal). What is the general consensus on parking? Any other recommendations? Thanks a lot.

Headed over in the AM to ski the face at Heavenly, looked like the lifts had been running for 3 laps after the opening bell, pretty much hammered from hikers we drove away and went elsewhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by morphintoskittle View Post
    Hey guys,

Considering heading up to rubicon peak area tomorrow to get a tour in. I have had friends who have skied the area but none as of recently and none of those friends are going. It seems the general consensus is to either park on 89 or up in the highland drive area, but highland drive often results in tickets (for obvious reasons, snow removal). What is the general consensus on parking? Any other recommendations? Thanks a lot.
    There are only 2 "legal" parking spots up on Highland Drive. I recommend getting there before sunrise if you want a chance at either of them. Otherwise, you'll be rolling the dice on getting a ticket.
    No kick turns
    No mercy

Quote Originally Posted by grubbers View Post
    There are only 2 "legal" parking spots up on Highland Drive. I recommend getting there before sunrise if you want a chance at either of them. Otherwise, you'll be rolling the dice on getting a ticket.
    I’m assuming not, but any other solid places to park around there? How is parking on 89 in one of the turnouts? Pictures from snow rains Instagram leads me to believe it looks fairly possible. Thanks!

PLEASE READ! NOT CONSPIRATORIAL. JUST A MESSAGE FROM A FIREFIGHTER IN S.F. I JUST HAD A CONVERSATION WITH.

Just got a call from a buddy who's a S.F. firefighter. He sounded freaked out and is trying to get word out to everyone to take this seriously. He also said they went to a home with someone who had been dead for days and everyone else in the home had the flu (one or some of them just returned from Japan). The wanted to report the death to the CDC but they told them that because he was dead it didn't fit their criteria! He personally thinks things are being under reported. Also lots of reports from paramedics and dispatchers being sent to sick people. As far as the quarantine, he said they were notified long ago that it was going to happen for sure so I'm sure other big cities are definitely going on lockdown even though they haven't said so. Basically, just keep those that are vulnerable safe. I have a few people I'm worried about here and although I'm skeptical I'm doing everything to make sure they don't get sick
    Most important though is DON'T LIVE IN FEAR. Viruses feed on that shit. It's science

Obviously this flies in the face of what I think is going on, but it seemed important to pass along. He thinks shit is going to get really bad.

You can also park in a pull out on 89 a mile or so past the entrance to the neighborhood. It is plowed. There is space for a good amount of cars and it fills up later in the day because you will have a longer approach. There is a agro private property owner right near the parking space so walk back N on 89 past the wetland/no trespassing signs before heading up hill. Skied there yesterday and it should only involve a small amount of bush bashing or rock dodging with the current snow pack. Name:  Screen Shot 2020-03-17 at 4.17.21 PM.png
Views: 958
Size:  591.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Blaster View Post
    You can also park in a pull out on 89 a mile or so past the entrance to the neighborhood. It is plowed. There is space for a good amount of cars and it fills up later in the day because you will have a longer approach. There is a agro private property owner right near the parking space so walk back N on 89 past the wetland/no trespassing signs before heading up hill. Skied there yesterday and it should only involve a small amount of bush bashing or rock dodging with the current snow pack. Name:  Screen Shot 2020-03-17 at 4.17.21 PM.png
Views: 958
Size:  591.8 KB
    Awesome. Thank you so much. It’s pretty awesome to have such awesome info available when trying to learn new terrain. Happy riding and maybe I’ll catch some of you guys out there tomorrow!

I'm not much of an action shot taker, but things were very good today. I thought winter was over, but it was definitely mid-Feb conditions.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15844996490220.jpeg 
Views:	129 
Size:	108.0 KB 
ID:	320851

Sent from my LG-US998 using TGR Forums mobile app
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Still firing out there. Wind slabs are starting to set up on the ridges in front of tamarack proper due to winds out of the east/northeast. Might make access a little sketch in the days to come if those slabs consolidate and get larger. We set off a few very small and thin (6-7 feet across, 3-4 in deep) slabs that didn’t propagate. Good chance those are quite a bit larger even from this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Buddy just watched a skier set off this slide a few minutes ago on Tallac, northbowl.

Meanwhile in a different location this morning, cold temps and more settlement provided me the best turns from this cycle

gimpy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ready2tumble View Post
    At least in SF, solo biking while maintaining social distance is allowed. Haven't tested it yet.

(Leaving the county, however, is verboten. This thread is now FOMO central: must... not... click.)
    Went on a cyclocross/gravel ride yesterday from mission to golden gate an through presidio. It's all good. Mission cholo low rider neighbor that's an asshole doesn't seem to care about the shelter in place.