Page 77 of 165 FirstFirst ... 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 ... LastLast
Results 1,901 to 1,925 of 4118
    Just ordered a motobike. Figured this is a good time to pick up new hobbies. Can anyone point me toward a YouTube video on how to gap jump?

^^^^Sweet Jesus is right.
    sproing!

Pardon the non-stoke content. This letter was written by hacksaw and it seemed relevant to some of the discussion here.
    Name:  IMG_3180.JPG
Views: 836
Size:  99.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by MashedPotatoes View Post
    who even cares about skiing right now? I'm only here for the titties and beer.

You ate my Chrissy

Titties and all

What about the beer

Were the cans this tall

You barf them back up Devil
    . . .

If you have been watching the disease trajectory of California -its clear that the shelter in place is working. For being one of the early hotspots, and the most populated state, growth in cases and deaths has been much much smaller than a number of other states. Nice work.

I will stop advocating for anyone to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Wobby View Post
    If you have been watching the disease trajectory of California -its clear that the shelter in place is working. For being one of the early hotspots, and the most populated state, growth in cases and deaths has been much much smaller than a number of other states. Nice work.

I will stop advocating for anyone to leave.
    It's OK for us to come down to Reno to buy all the TP at Costco?

Quote Originally Posted by beckcommar View Post
    I should stay, not drive anywhere, and just wait this out, right?
    JFC you can drive home. The fact you are asking permission says a lot of how clueless people are as to what's really going on.

Fyi, snow is AMAZING right now.

Tahoe Forest hospital is a ghost town right now. No one in town getting hurt or sick I guess. They're probably losing money with everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    It's OK for us to come down to Reno to buy all the TP at Costco?
    Only if you bring some to my house! I have legitimately been out for over a week now, and all of my trips to the store have yielded a 0% success ratio at acquiring more. The world is F'ed!

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    i sure wish this site had an ignore user function
    - click on your user name in the top right corner and choose "My Stash" from the pop-up menu
    - click on "Forum Settings" on the right
    - find "Edit Ignore List" under MY SETTINGS on the left.

I just learned how to use it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    You ate my Chrissy

Titties and all

What about the beer

Were the cans this tall

You barf them back up Devil

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Pardon the non-stoke content. This letter was written by hacksaw and it seemed relevant to some of the discussion here.
    Name:  IMG_3180.JPG
Views: 836
Size:  99.9 KB
    TNSAR released a similar statement earlier this week...
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

CA State parks are closing vehicle access

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    TNSAR released a similar statement earlier this week...
    ^^^This. Particularly if you are getting into backcountry skiing take it VERY easy.

That "hacksaw" statement is insane. No one should be doing anything anywhere with the thinking that a SAR team ia going to save them if they fuck up. I'm thankful that they exist (I'd love to volunteer some day), but they have no business urging people what to do. People have their own risk threshold and that should be respected.
    And knowing how dead the hospitals are in Tahoe atm I'm sure they'd be happy to fix a broken leg. SAR teams inherently involve REAL risk. Getting a case of the sniffles is not one of them.

Sent from my SM-N960U using TGR Forums mobile app

Despite the clearly excellent conditions right now, I think I'm going to stick with the stay near home program. Of course I could crash my MTB 1/2 mile from my house, but driving 45 mins to ski makes it seem even more indulgent. The guy in CO that was rescued put 40 people at risk and occupied a helicopter. It would be embarrassing to be that guy right now.

Sent from my LG-US998 using TGR Forums mobile app
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    Despite the clearly excellent conditions right now, I think I'm going to stick with the stay near home program. Of course I could crash my MTB 1/2 mile from my house, but driving 45 mins to ski makes it seem even more indulgent. The guy in CO that was rescued put 40 people at risk and occupied a helicopter. It would be embarrassing to be that guy right now.

Sent from my LG-US998 using TGR Forums mobile app
    this. there is snow here in Tahoe. Right outside my back door. Not everyone has that luxury but noone here needs to drive to Kirkwood unless you're okay with folks from Santa Clara driving up here. It's the same fucking thing.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    this. there is snow here in Tahoe. Right outside my back door. Not everyone has that luxury but noone here needs to drive to Kirkwood unless you're okay with folks from Santa Clara driving up here. It's the same fucking thing.
    This. It's nice to hear some Tahoe locals agree. And definitely don't buy into this nonsense about it only being dangerous for old people. A friend of mine who is 36 and in good health finally had to go into the emergency room last night because she couldn't breath. My ex who is 39 and also in good health was able to fight it off at home but almost went in at one point as well. She does have asthma so taking heavy hits of albuterol helped her get through it.

As for miracle March with a buzzkill asterisk attached (for most of us, anyway), how much snow have we had for the month now?

just to be clear, i'm not talking about folks heading to nearby trailheads or passes, but Kirkwood is a separate community.

Indulgent is a good word. Doctors, Nurses, Hospital workers, etc are putting themselves in the crosshairs and risking their lives fighting this shit. Going out and skiing right now is the equivalent of the rich fuck that got out of serving and spent ww2 trying to fuck the wives and girlfriends of the guys fighting overseas.

“The Governor’s order says for people to exercise near their homes so unless all those people suddenly moved near the trailhead, I don’t think they’re following the order,” said the League to Save Lake Tahoe Chief Strategy Officer Jesse Patterson.

Quote comes from this article: https://www.tahoedailytribune.com/news/stayaway/

I haven't left my house in Stateline in almost a month and its been killing me watching and clearing all this snow that's fallen but there is no way I am getting this shitty virus. I have had complications from viral infections in the past and am in my 50's now. I'm lucky in that I can work from home and we stocked up for a few months before shit hit the fan, getting deliveries of wine and groceries from Roundhill Safeway (Instacart works great) and just made a online pickup order from Raleys. Doing daily walks in the neighborhood and online yoga to stay somewhat fit.
    <Rant> I certainly have not been surprised by the irresponsibility and entitlement of my fellow humans. Lots of Cali plates at 2nd homes and VHRs in my neighborhood still and expecting more to come in this weekend. But the locals are even worst. Laid off Heavenly workers across the street go skiing almost everyday, I assume hiking up at Heavenly. Have friends over all the time too. Doctor at Barton lives next door to them has also been going out skiing, hit Rose on that last day of season and been hiking up Heavenly as well. Have a friend in South Lake that just started chemo for breast cancer and she has also been out backcountry skiing every time it snows. Its almost a shame it snowed since powder fever really does cloud people's judgement, but we do need the snowpack so I am still thankful for it.</Rant>

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    i sure wish this site had an ignore user function
    Here ya go: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...ignore&u=26443
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Quote Originally Posted by duffski View Post
    “The Governor’s order says for people to exercise near their homes so unless all those people suddenly moved near the trailhead, I don’t think they’re following the order,” said the League to Save Lake Tahoe Chief Strategy Officer Jesse Patterson.

Quote comes from this article: https://www.tahoedailytribune.com/news/stayaway/

I haven't left my house in Stateline in almost a month and its been killing me watching and clearing all this snow that's fallen but there is no way I am getting this shitty virus. I have had complications from viral infections in the past and am in my 50's now. I'm lucky in that I can work from home and we stocked up for a few months before shit hit the fan, getting deliveries of wine and groceries from Roundhill Safeway (Instacart works great) and just made a online pickup order from Raleys. Doing daily walks in the neighborhood and online yoga to stay somewhat fit.
    <Rant> I certainly have not been surprised by the irresponsibility and entitlement of my fellow humans. Lots of Cali plates at 2nd homes and VHRs in my neighborhood still and expecting more to come in this weekend. But the locals are even worst. Laid off Heavenly workers across the street go skiing almost everyday, I assume hiking up at Heavenly. Have friends over all the time too. Doctor at Barton lives next door to them has also been going out skiing, hit Rose on that last day of season and been hiking up Heavenly as well. Have a friend in South Lake that just started chemo for breast cancer and she has also been out backcountry skiing every time it snows. Its almost a shame it snowed since powder fever really does cloud people's judgement, but we do need the snowpack so I am still thankful for it.</Rant>
    Why does it bother you when they go ski? There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Anything that keeps people sane is good. Travelling any kind of unnecessary distance to do it changes things IMO. Can people get hurt? Maybe. My last and current injury I got walking to my car from work. Point is you can get hurt doing anything.

edit-i'd be walking out my back door to go ski right now except I'm waiting to sign for a wine shipment

Why does it bother you when they go ski? There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Anything that keeps people sane is good. Travelling any kind of unnecessary distance to do it changes things IMO. Can people get hurt? Maybe. My last and current injury I got walking to my car from work. Point is you can get hurt doing anything.

edit-i'd be walking out my back door to go ski right now except I'm waiting to sign for a wine shipment
    I don't really give a crap about people's tolerance for risk and lets face it skiing is a dangerous activity, I know that you can relate to this Powdork and I certainly can as well. But all the examples I noted were people driving to go ski with other people they do not live with. I believe that the shelter at home order only includes driving when essential and social distancing, no?

Quote Originally Posted by duffski View Post
    I don't really give a crap about people's tolerance for risk and lets face it skiing is a dangerous activity, I know that you can relate to this Powdork and I certainly can as well. But all the examples I noted were people driving to go ski with other people they do not live with. I believe that the shelter at home order only includes driving when essential and social distancing, no?
    I don't think there's anything wrong with someone driving from the keys to a trailhead or calbase. Riding a bike there would be the most dangerous part of your day. And skiing doesn't have to be dangerous. i have definitely dialed down my risk level (although I have to skin 3 miles to get on anything consequential at all).

Now the driving with others thing is cray, but not limited to skiers.

Driving when essential, exercise and recreation are essential. So if you have to drive to get there, and many do, then driving is essential to recreate.

I don't think there's anything wrong with someone driving from the keys to a trailhead or calbase. Riding a bike there would be the most dangerous part of your day. And skiing doesn't have to be dangerous. i have definitely dialed down my risk level (although I have to skin 3 miles to get on anything consequential at all).

Now the driving with others thing is cray, but not limited to skiers
    I smashed my thumb skiing down stagecoach run a few years back due to equipment failure. $30k surgery at Barton and physical therapy for a few months afterward put me in close contact with lots of medical workers. Of course that sucks at any time but I would definitely not want to go through that right now. Thats cool you feel comfortable skiing and driving to the trailhead but I'm not much of a rule breaker when I know it could effect other people adversely. Look this whole shitshow is due to irresponsible people, from the origins of the virus to Chinese authorities not containing it to our dumbass president not doing shit until it was too late. I've lost shit tons of money in the stock market but still have my job for now. God knows I am a lot luckier than most but I still would like to see other people take this a lot more seriously so we can get back to normal as fast as possible.