Page 76 of 165 FirstFirst ... 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 ... LastLast
Results 1,876 to 1,900 of 4118

The Official 19/20 Tahoe Ski Snowboard Thread. Plus bonus Bootfitting Recs!

Madden was broken and already done for the season. Chair removal was already probably needed for the repair or replacement

Edit : brain fart. must be the covfefe. yes! Ellis is the one done for mechanical. I agree w below statement re closure.
    Last edited by mcski; 03-25-2020 at 06:55 PM.

I think it was Ellis that was done for the season. In any case, Homewood is usually one of the first to close, usually only make it to the first or second week of April.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    Plus infinity.

I’ve been a part timer up in TC for 20years as well and have great neighbors. One of which asked me why I wasn’t coming up for all the fresh snow? I’d really really like too and probably need to button up the house better for the long haul, but I too would feel like I was taxing the infrastructure and am way better off in terms up medical care in SF if needed. Anyway, the fact that this lady that asked me if i was coming didn’t give a second thought to the fact that she herself is pretty immunocompromised. If I went up there and somehow she got sick because of it I’d feel terrible.
    So is the consensus among health and Tahoe folks that it's not cool for 2nd homeowners to visit their property until this boils over?

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm...pow! View Post
    I think it was Ellis that was done for the season. In any case, Homewood is usually one of the first to close, usually only make it to the first or second week of April.
    My bad. Yes sorry had that backwards. Carry on

So is the consensus among health and Tahoe folks that it's not cool for 2nd homeowners to visit their property until this boils over?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by mitanokaseifu View Post
    Yes.
    Absolutely not cool.
    At least here in Truckee.

Town of Truckee, the Chamber of Commerce, the mayor, and Tahoe Forest have all issued various forms of statements, press releases, news stories, and videos telling Bay Area and elsewhere folks to stay at their primary residences and to not come up here.

The story telling Bay Area folks to stay away made pretty much every paper from the the LA Times to the Marin Independent to the SJ Mercury... many of these stories are from 8 days ago, too...

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/03/...later-not-now/

https://www.marinij.com/2020/03/18/t...later-not-now/

https://www.latimes.com/travel/story...ont-come-visit

https://www.sacbee.com/news/coronavi...241449116.html
    Last edited by dookey67; 03-25-2020 at 07:36 PM.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    Yes.
    Absolutely not cool.

Town of Truckee, the Chamber of Commerce, the mayor, and Tahoe Forest have all issued various forms of statements, press releases, news stories, and videos telling Bay Area and elsewhere folks to stay at their primary residences and to not come up here.

The story telling Bay Area folks to stay away made pretty much every paper from the Marin Independent to the SJ Mercury.. these stories are from 8 days ago, too...

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/03/...later-not-now/

https://www.marinij.com/2020/03/18/t...later-not-now/

https://www.latimes.com/travel/story...ont-come-visit

https://www.sacbee.com/news/coronavi...241449116.html
    We'll stay put in the bay then. Don't want the neighbors pissed at me. They should have stay out of Tahoe signs on the Caltrans billboards or something.

I believe the state has a shelter in Place order. Not sure why you would need billboards. Stay where you are. Pretty fucking simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    I believe the state has a shelter in Place order. Not sure why you would need billboards. Stay where you are. Pretty fucking simple.
    But, but, but... Snow!

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    And the same applies to Tahoe locals getting in their cars and crowding at popular trailheads, but they don’t want to hear that.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by mitanokaseifu View Post
    We'll stay put in the bay then. Don't want the neighbors pissed at me. They should have stay out of Tahoe signs on the Caltrans billboards or something.
    My neighbor from the central valley came up and is hanging for a while. Doesn't bother me any.
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

I get that it is not OK for people to go to Tahoe right now. But what about folks like us who were up here in a vacation rental when these orders happened?

I have been in a short term rental for a couple of weeks now. I have assumed that the thing to do is follow the order and stay where I am. And that’s just what I’ve done. I have extended my stay and am just staying put. I can ski a bit without driving anywhere so I’ve been doing that and I’m stocked up for a few weeks with supplies.

I’m actually a little worried that a full shut down of short term rentals where I am would actually force me to travel and break the shelter in place order.

I should stay, not drive anywhere, and just wait this out, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe this ban could become a permanent thing. The airbnb’s on three sides of me have have got to go (tired of assholes parking in my driveway). If you can’t afford the second home without renting it out then just stop pretending to be rich. Who want to share their bed with strangers anyway?

Oh btw. Skiing was great today and I took up 2 parking spots just to piss people off.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    4 Time Balboa Open Champion

At the special truckee town council meeting it was announced that short term rentals are banned except for people who come to Truckee to perform essential or covid related tasks, for people isolating themselves from their local families, and for the homeless. Long term rentals, ski leases, and second homeowners are not banned. According to town counsel banning second homeowners would be illegal and unconstitutional. The chief of police and others made the point that people should not be labeled as locals, second homeowners, J1's, Bay Area people, etc etc. He said that what mattered was people's behavior, wherever they are from. He made the point that many Truckee residents go to Reno to shop and that Reno people could feel resentful of us. The town estimates that the current population is equivalent to a non holiday ski weekend, but the town is dead which tells me that people are staying home. While there is obviously a lot of sentiment in town against second homeowners that does not extend to the town staff, the PD, and the town council.

When I stopped watching the meeting council was about to vote on putting a moratorium on evictions, on investigating further the possibility of offering rent support, and giving money to Sierra Community Foundation and Senior Services for supplying meals to the needy and seniors.

When people are frightened they turn against each other. There are a lot of frightened people in this town, a lot of frightened people on this forum. When people get frightened they turn against each other. The hoarding is one way. The resentment of "strangers" is another. It's ok to be frightened, I am, but I say man up, be charitable and generous. We like to talk about how we Americans come together in times of crisis but to me it's looking like the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    And the same applies to Tahoe locals getting in their cars and crowding at popular trailheads, but they don’t want to hear that.
    How do you figure? We're going to ski, not doing group hugs. Pretty easy to spread out. Would be even easier if everyone at the trailhead actually was a local.

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm...pow! View Post
    How do you figure? We're going to ski, not doing group hugs. Pretty easy to spread out. Would be even easier if everyone at the trailhead actually was a local.
    All parks here in Sonoma County were shut down this week due to overcrowding at access points and a small cluster outbreak related to it. It will happen in Placer and Nevada county soon enough.

Read what old goat wrote above - he gets it. It doesn't matter where you're from, it's how you behave when you're there.
    Last edited by TahoeJ; 03-26-2020 at 07:38 AM.

i sure wish this site had an ignore user function

The Official 19/20 Tahoe Ski Snowboard Thread. Plus bonus Bootfitting Recs!

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    i sure wish this site had an ignore user function
    It does, I just figured out how to use it today!

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    When people are frightened they turn against each other. There are a lot of frightened people in this town, a lot of frightened people on this forum. When people get frightened they turn against each other.
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

Asking this in the Tahoe thread because it's sort of conditions / location dependent to some degree. Anyone here using Pomoca Free Pro 2 skins? I've heard good things in general but I imagine some skins are better or worse in different areas.

Trying to get whatever gear I can now to support the shops I like (not in person, but they will hold items and/or ship them).

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    When people are frightened they turn against each other. There are a lot of frightened people in this town, a lot of frightened people on this forum. When people get frightened they turn against each other. The hoarding is one way. The resentment of "strangers" is another. It's ok to be frightened, I am, but I say man up, be charitable and generous. We like to talk about how we Americans come together in times of crisis but to me it's looking like the opposite.
    So true. I am seeing it all across the country, all across the internet, all across different forms of communication and interaction. Lots of resentment, lots of hate, lots of finger pointing. The reality is that the only thing to really blame for this is the virus itself, and we'd all better tough it out together.

Stay safe, sane, and reasonable guys. I can't imagine what its like living the bay or Cali right now with the shelter in place order -must be fucking miserable. I'm sorry for you all. Just don't take it out on those of us who are fortunate enough to live in a place with better social dispersion and easier access. In normal times there are tradeoffs for that too -like a lot less pay for those who live in Reno/Tahoe. But right now I am so grateful.

Edit: anyone looking for an escape should go check out NV. I'm dead serious. Stock up on groceries at home, and do the rest of your shopping at the local store where you would normally transmit germs and whatnot. Get in the car, and don't fucking stop anywhere else where you can transmit/receive. At the gas station, use hand sani and then touch the pump/buttons with a wipe only (this is gonna be your only transmission point). Do not pass your shit to my community.

Continue to the desert without stopping. Drive down some dirt roads, and you will find a valley all to yourself! You're not going to transmit/receive if you're the only person for 20 miles in any direction. Camp out, smell the sage, enjoy the openness. Don't listen to the news, just listen to the world. If you want, you could even go backcountry skiing. You're not going to be clogging a trailhead, you're not going to have to worry about parking too close to a car, you're not going to have to keep distance from some "local" jabroni at the top. Just you and the view and your valley.

Think that these suggestions are too risky? Well... Coronavirus shouldn't really change your perception of risk for NV exploration or skiing anyway. Under "normal" circumstances, you are a long way from help and basically on your own. Getting hurt isn't an option anyway, Its the wild west out there.

Don't pass this info on, but good luck.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1732.JPG 
Views:	95 
Size:	213.7 KB 
ID:	322350 cornice some bonehead triggered at rose ski area. Lots of people getting out who don’t know what tf they’re doing and don’t know how to safely ski in uncontrolled areas, even at the resort. Ik I’m a few days late to the convo about this issue, but just saw this today. Stay safe and mindful in all respects

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Asking this in the Tahoe thread because it's sort of conditions / location dependent to some degree. Anyone here using Pomoca Free Pro 2 skins? I've heard good things in general but I imagine some skins are better or worse in different areas.

Trying to get whatever gear I can now to support the shops I like (not in person, but they will hold items and/or ship them).
    I have them, great

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

It’s not just staying away from each other on trailheads or in nevada. The health resources around those places are limited so even if you don’t get sick, driving statistics may catch up to you or some branch may get you and ruin your never fall record. Believe me, I’m sooooo tempted to do both, but any kind of accident is also a strain on the health care system. I’m in SF and I don’t feel sorry for any one because they are cooped up here. It’s fine.

Shelter in Place mean stay the where you are.

State clarified this morning you should not be driving to recreate. Walk, run, hike or bike from your home.

Everyone is going to decide what that means. We just need enough to listens and pay attention to make a difference.

I’m watching it closely, and when enough are doing it, I’ll buy groceries, fill the tank and drive up to ski for a few days. Hopefully this cough subsided before then. It’s only 450 miles round trip and my tank gets me about 500. Can’t wait to get out an explore while all the responsible people shelter in place for the good of mankind. Sheeple.