Page 22 of 165 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutter View Post
    This is literally one of the most iconic images associated with KW that is not skiing related. Someone should really make this a this a t shirt.
    I've seen at least 3 cars in the meadow on one of the KW FB groups. Someone who posts seems to have a nice view across the meadow and I recommended he setup a telephoto webcam so we can get a front-facing angle. There was definitely one there before opening day. Called 'em Jackson Jumpers.

Someone outta do a Where's Waldo style treasure hunt t-shirt, seems like they were kinda popular in the 90s? Just a map of the valley with easter eggs all over. Jumper in the meadow, generator fire in the powerhouse, airbag blowing away, skeleton stuck on chair 4....

@KWConditions just tweeted they're closed for the day due to heavy snow, hazardous conditions, and roads closed both ways.

In related news, Nokians going on the rig tomorrow and the chains are in the mail.

What is the SAT equivalent of “Jackson Jumpers”? I hit Sierra for opening day on Sat after Friday at Kirkwood and was blessed with this upon rolling in. 2 for 2!!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0221.JPG 
Views:	135 
Size:	355.7 KB 
ID:	304504Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0222.JPG 
Views:	147 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	304505

That look

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Tundra swans on Donner Lake. Worth taking a look if you're in the neighborhood, but you'll need binoculars since they stay out in the middle. They're usually only here for a few days.

The Official 19/20 Tahoe Ski Snowboard Thread. Plus bonus Bootfitting Recs!

Just a bit of new snow at Sierra@Tahoe today! Deep heavy leg breaking snow that’s laying down a great base for the season.

Went up with the intent really to just go find a good place to dig a pit to see what’s going on with the snow but the deep snow was so difficult to move though even with 116 under foot I said fuck it. Seasons off to a great start though.

Just drove down echo, they have one lane closed due to a rockslide, there busting up huge boulders with jackhammers right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    Well this is the base building snow we need, be interesting to watch how the avalanche situation unfolds over the next few days
    I would think quite a bit took care of itself mid or early storm, the other stuff was so light. Saw the signage for the rockslide at the Y. Turned around and took pioneer home.

Heavenly was pretty much the suck today. Low vis, heavy snow, snow trying to rain.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

sounds like it is perfect base building.

yes, except at Kirkwood. Definitely good base building but i think we skipped some fun snow depths along the way. Had to finish with over 6' I would think.

another 2' on the snowstake at the wood since i posted last night. seemed to drop a little toward the end when things got warm, possibly some rain. The totals at 9,500 must be crazy.

Kirkwood now reporting 7 feet in 7 days. Well, that's one way to get the season going I suppose.

The Official 19/20 Tahoe Ski Snowboard Thread. Plus bonus Bootfitting Recs!

Pretty sad that Kirkwood doesn’t have the whole mountain open by now. Shows you where Kirkwood is on Vail’s priority list. On a brighter side, Carson Pass backcountry must be fat. Wonder who will get the first descent of the season on Crescent.

what the fuck was i thinking going to work today?!? conditions at the pass look sikter

Quote Originally Posted by hercule33 View Post
    Pretty sad that Kirkwood doesn’t have the whole mountain open by now. Shows you where Kirkwood is on Vail’s priority list. On a brighter side, Carson Pass backcountry must be fat. Wonder who will get the first descent of the season on Crescent.
    It takes a few days to cat out a few roads, and set the mountain. Pre-vail they would likely get 6 open before this next storm, but nothing else.

Based on the weather, chair 10 for Sunday.

They would wait until the following Saturday to open the backside. So they could slowly prep things and wait until more folks are skiing.

But, yeah, low on Vail’s priority list regardless. Tahoe in general seems low on their priority list.

At least they have a closing date in the second half of April this season.

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    what the fuck was i thinking going to work today?!? conditions at the pass look sikter
    Got a few in this morning before work

Name:	IMG_1461.JPG 
Views:	123 
Size:	286.0 KB 
ID:	304651

Name:	IMG_1456.JPG 
Views:	135 
Size:	386.3 KB 
ID:	304652

None of the resorts have received their J1's yet for the season so I would have to imagine it’s partially due to staffing issues. Within the next two weeks all the J1’s arrive and with this next storm coming in everything will be poppin.

Not sad at all. Takes a TON of work to get a mountain like Kwood open for the season. They’ve had one day since the storm stopped to get everything going. Give them a few more days before you start crying foul.

Is wagon wheel bowl closed? I’ve skied wagon wheel bowl to the (and past) the typical outer palisades boundary in October. Only 6 was running so you had to walk around the back to access the wall. On that day, patrol staff were considering the “boundary” of the day to be upper monte’s and everything past monte’s was “out of bounds” (and all boundaries were open).... it was a pretty great day!

Website states Wagon Wheel and Sentinel open, Palisades closed. Also, Rabbit Runs and Lighting listed as closed. Lost Cabin and Drain listed as open.

I imagine they had ropes at the Rabbit trees which is typical for there early season. It funnels most fo the skiers back down toward Stump Run and back to 6. Often you can traverse at base of rope line through the trees for a bunch of terrain, but need to know your routes and way back to 6 from there. Until they have 7 running, they usually have that rope there.

Wagon Wheel is typically roped based on coverage and patrol staffing. Not a lot of patrol and they hang a line that cuts you off before the fingers. And one that keeps you below the butcher block.

Looking at that pic on open snow, it looks like powder is right in stating we skipped through a few nice low tide base levels. Looks pretty stacked.

Quote Originally Posted by B.Gillis View Post
    None of the resorts have received their J1's yet for the season so I would have to imagine it’s partially due to staffing issues. Within the next two weeks all the J1’s arrive and with this next storm coming in everything will be poppin.
    That’s what I was suspecting. Had this storm hit in February I would imagine Vail would get the mountain open much faster. In the past, Vail has shown that it can open Kirkwood quickly after a big storm despite all the challenges that come with it. However without the proper staff, it is impossible.

Staffing issues or not, it simply takes more time to open the mountain after the first big dump then it does later in the season. They have to put in cat tracks, prep lift unload areas, mark cliffs, setup rope lines, etc. and typically a lot of these tasks aren't going to be performed by newly arriving J1's regardless.

The way I see it, they have 6 up and running. Anyone else in Tahoe with legit terrain open yet?

Mt Rose is opening slide side today. This puts them at everything open, except Chutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

On Sunday they were just teaching the new lifties how to load the fixed chair.... Makes sense that they're not warmed up yet.

And re: missing low tide, what a luxury problem to have. Though I am also sad to miss low tide eagle bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    The way I see it, they have 6 up and running. Anyone else in Tahoe with legit terrain open yet?
    sugar bowl has Jerome Hill and Lincoln Open

after working flawfully for nearly two days, the Kirkwood snowstake appears to be toast.

Pville, that pic/look is hilarious.

Good thing hercules doesn't ski Squaw, otherwise he'd be losing his mind over the fact that Squaw hasn't even opened GOLD COAST!!!!!! Squaw ops saying they won't open upper mountain until after the next storm....because the next storm will bring more staff?? They definitely have the snow they need.

Anyway, anyone got some stoke? I'm stuck working. GIMPY???!!!???? Save us!! Here's some Kirkwood stoke from some guy who skis slow https://www.instagram.com/p/B5p3xcuJ..._web_copy_link
    sproing!