Page 71 of 165 FirstFirst ... 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 ... LastLast
Results 1,751 to 1,775 of 4118
    same thing here. ig is gonna be a lot of dog pics for a while.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Tahoe forest has what, 25 beds?? Can maybe handle 60 patients total? For 17,000 full time residents who need them?

LOCKDOWN BITCHEZ! That means you CA peeps can't drive to Rose and ski our powder. SHELTER IN PLACE!

The Official 19/20 Tahoe Ski Snowboard Thread. Plus bonus Bootfitting Recs!

Man, fishing season in full effect around here. Lol... that was almost too easy.

For real: my ex has to quarantine for 14 days so I have the kids and won’t be going anywhere.

Guys, you realize the impact of any stoke in this thread is almost irrelevant compared to say, Instagram, right? Go ahead and post.

Ottime did bring up a pretty good point in terms of hypocrisy however.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

"And yet the sun still shines fervently" -Erik T. Ray

Name:  beachstorm2.jpg
Views: 867
Size:  61.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Man, fishing season in full effect around here. Lol... that was almost too easy.

For real: my ex has to quarantine for 14 days so I have the kids and won’t be going anywhere.

Guys, you realize the impact of any stoke in this thread is almost irrelevant compared to say, Instagram, right? Go ahead and post.

Ottime did bring up a pretty good point in terms of hypocrisy however.
    Sorry to hear. Hope she is clean and if not recovers quickly.

BG is correct. Shelter in Place strongly implies not leaving your country and especially not crossing state lines. Same would go for y’all Nevadans. You should not cross into CA right now.

I know we still have a few deniers out there. Not sure if BG has budged after talking with the fire fighter. But if we are serious about this, we need to follow the protocol and shit it down.

Give more time during the storms for the roads to clear. Skin from home if you can. If you can’t, drive just a few miles. Don’t go out to CP. don’t drive across the county. If you can, stay off the roads completely for anything other than food, or emergency home supplies. No groups outside who you live with. If you do with a non Housemate, keep your distance. More than 6’, as you will be huffing on the boot pack. This shit is real and it will swirl through your mountain communities like it has elsewhere.

Sending y'all the best in this fucked-up time.

One thing is for sure -- being homebound reminds me of how amazingly good we have it here. KT-22, West Shore, the Lake, the trails, the unreal community of go-getters, all of it. It's all too much -- we're all too lucky -- whether we live here or there or anywhere in between, damn lucky.

Can't wait to get out and enjoy it again properly.

Peace and health, people. Love to our health-care workers. Do what you can to support our communities, which will be rocked for months to come.

Spats, thanks for the glorious shot.

(ETA: TJ, sending you the best - very sorry to hear about the illness in the fam.)
    Last edited by meter-man; 03-20-2020 at 10:29 AM.
    sproing!

Hear hear.

Happy I’m where I am. As much as I’d like to see the glorious snow that is March and April this year, glad I can see the ocean from my window. Lucky to MTB through redwood stands. Strange times indeed.

Spend money supporting your local businesses. Bookshop Santa Cruz is offering delivery and road side pick up. So we are buying books for our kid.

Local bike shops are open for tuning and limited sales. I might even by a bike at retail price this week.

Stay sane. Get outside daily. If you live alone, socialize at a distance. Hell, even if you do t live alone.

We are in day 4 down here if taking this seriously. Home schooling is interesting. Lucky I have a nerd. Walks on the beach.

Stock up on supplies in bulk when you do go out. Don’t hoard, but try to shop one way or less per week. Choose a different day if you pull in and the lot is full.

Good luck y’all.

And folks, please keep the stoke coming in this thread. Please. It is part of what keeps me sane. This is a small community. This is not IG.

On a serious note, I wonder how long before local police are going to start stopping people coming into certain towns and questioning them? They have the authority now to issue citations and/or arrest violators. I'm sure they'd rather not have to.

Dying to get out on a MTB ride but can't exactly leave a 5 year old at home, even with her older siblings (still another 1 - 2 years away from that luxury).

Forecast looks legit... let's hope it snows enough and things normalize-ish and we can ski corn in May.

The buildings at Donner state park are closed but there was free plowed parking (at least no one seemed to be collecting money) and they are grooming the main road through the park for XC skiing, hiking, and snowshoeing for people who like to snowshoe on firm packed snow. Maybe they'll groom a loop eventually. XC skiing has gotten much more difficult since I last did it 20 years ago. Wonder why they did that.

Tahoe Forest serves a district with 40,000 full time residents, but all property owners pay taxes to the hospital district. Relative to the size of the population it serves Tahoe Forest is actually large. And of course many North Tahoe Truckee residents get their medical care in Reno or Sacramento. I doubt that TF would be treating ICU coronavirus patients except short term until they can be transferred to Reno or Sac, until those places can't handle any more.
    Safeway had bread this morning--shelves only half empty.
    Who is the bigger stress on the system--the second homeowner who is staying home in their Tahoe area house or the "local" who goes out skiing and gets hurt? (I realize everyone here is an expert and never gets hurt.)
    "Local" is in quotes because AFAIC, to be a local you have to have at least gone to high school up here. The rest of us are just different degrees of touron.
    I do agree that hotel, motel, B and B--including air B and B--should be closed except for essential business travelers, if any.
    I live here full time.

i know that it's not Tahoe, but the statement from the Eastern Sierra Avi Center is pretty relevant for the tahoe area, too
    COVID-19 is creating unprecedented challenges to our healthcare system, and in this region services are already limited. Recognize that if you do choose to recreate in the backcountry and are injured or involved in an avalanche, the systems for rescue may not be available and this event will result in an undue burden on our already stressed healthcare system.
    This could be a time to avoid the backcountry. If you choose to head out, every effort should be made to avoid injuries. We encourage you to take all precautions necessary to safeguard the health and safety of your group and others.
    We strongly discourage traveling to ski in the backcountry at this time.
    ESAC will continue to issue backcountry forecasts for the foreseeable future. We consider this information important to our community to make informed decisions.
    Anytime you travel in the backcountry when there is snow on the ground avalanches are possible.

A couple more things to consider before heading into the backcountry during this global health pandemic.
    Governor Gavin Newsome issued a shelter-in-place order for the entire state of California, ordering all individuals living in California to stay home or at their place of residence. Please consider this directive and how your personal decisions can affect small communities with few resources before you head outside to recreate.
    Mono County and the Town of Mammoth Lakes have both declared States of Emergency. This means that restaurants, bars, and visitors centers are closed, gatherings of more than 6 people are discouraged, and visitors are strongly discouraged from coming to the region.
    Inyo County and the Town of Bishop have declared States of Emergency. This means restaurants, parks, and businesses are closed and visitors to this area are strongly discouraged.

Truckee / SLT to Reno: 30 - 45 minutes. Nevermind Sacramento.
    Mammoth to Reno: 3+ hours.

Plus Mammoth has a smaller population base and a significantly smaller hospital. Not really the same thing at all IMO.

What stoke I can provide with a (turns out it's broken) bum ankle.

Bunch of new tracks down red dog today, couple on KT nose, one person through banana chute. How many extra GNAR points do you get if you stop halfway down to cough?

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    i know that it's not Tahoe, but the statement from the Eastern Sierra Avi Center is pretty relevant for the tahoe area, too
    WWNCD? (what would Norman Clyde do?)

If you have to ask for permission to hike up a mountain then you are already a prisoner of the state.

I think common sense would dictate not to go out and huck your meat off cliffs or ski super exposed gnar. But, if someone wants to shred some pow, they have a universal right to do so. Driving to a trailhead, even an hour or so away, is not going to hurt anyone. Shaming people for making the best of this just makes one a huge dick. I will be a quarantine breaker (even across state lines!). Doesn't mean I'm going out to cough on people. I'll keep my aids to myself. I promise,

"I prefer the hardships of a free man over the comforts of the most well treated slave."

(never thought I'd see the day where one week liberals are like: "TRUMP IS LITERALLY HITLER!"...today: "DO EXACTLY WHAT OUR PRESIDENT SAYS AND GIVE UP YOUR FREEDOMS TO SAVE US FROM A BAD COLD!")

Quote Originally Posted by BGnight View Post
    WWNCD? (what would Norman Clyde do?)

If you have to ask for permission to hike up a mountain then you are already a prisoner of the state.

I think common sense would dictate not to go out and huck your meat off cliffs or ski super exposed gnar. But, if someone wants to shred some pow, they have a universal right to do so. Driving to a trailhead, even an hour or so away, is not going to hurt anyone. Shaming people for making the best of this just makes one a huge dick. I will be a quarantine breaker (even across state lines!). Doesn't mean I'm going out to cough on people. I'll keep my aids to myself. I promise,

"I prefer the hardships of a free man over the comforts of the most well treated slave."

(never thought I'd see the day where one week liberals are like: "TRUMP IS LITERALLY HITLER!"...today: "DO EXACTLY WHAT OUR PRESIDENT SAYS AND GIVE UP YOUR FREEDOMS TO SAVE US FROM A BAD COLD!")
    Truly spoken like someone who has no real knowledge about actual slavery, a totalitarian state, or a fascist regime.

They're just asking you to stay home so you don't (by mistake) take up emergency services that could be used for the less fortunate and less healthy among us. Or, less likely, actually spread the disease. They're not forcing you to work at point of death, or putting you in a train to get burnt to death in an oven because you're white, or taking all your property, your home, and your money because you belong to wrong political party/tribe/ethnicity.

They're just asking you to think of your community, our first responders and health care workers, and your fellow human.

I know, that must be hard.

Read some history dude, you/we are not the oppressed. Have fun punching your strawman liberal.

(ETA
    Signed, HUGE DICK.
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Truly spoken like someone who has no real knowledge about actual slavery, a totalitarian state, or a fascist regime.

They're just asking you to stay home so you don't (by mistake) take up emergency services that could be used for the less fortunate and less healthy among us. Or, less likely, actually spread the disease. They're not forcing you to work at point of death, or putting you in a train to get burnt to death in an oven because you're white, or taking all your property, your home, and your money because you belong to wrong political party/tribe/ethnicity.

They're just asking you to think of your community, our first responders and health care workers, and your fellow human.
    #slipperyslopes

I've been skiing for 25 years. I've never needed emergency services. Pretty sure the odds are slim I'll need rescued. And if I do, well...my bad. Shit happens. With that logic, no one should go for a jog because you could sprain your ankle.

It's incredible how compliant and submissive the general public is behaving (so far...won't last long). Edward Bernays would be proud of what they pulled off in his name.

^^^This. Everyone has to do their part for COVID-19. Take extra care in the backcountry or don’t go out.

#slipperyslopes

I've been skiing for 25 years. I've never needed emergency services. Pretty sure the odds are slim I'll need rescued. And if I do, well...my bad. Shit happens. With that logic, no one should go for a jog because you could sprain your ankle.

It's incredible how compliant and submissive the general public is behaving (so far...won't last long). Edward Bernays would be proud of what they pulled off in his name.
    All you had to say is that you would be careful in the backcountry. No one is saying don’t backcountry ski, just be extra careful. Just like when you go shopping, be extra careful.

Now, I await your overly defensive response...

Apparently, no fishing in Nevada county for fun. Doesn’t address bc skiing, but I bet Caleb would answer you if asked. He’s a friendly guy https://211connectingpoint.org/wp-co...Draft.KLE_.pdf

The Official 19/20 Tahoe Ski Snowboard Thread. Plus bonus Bootfitting Recs!

You know what activity is statistically way more dangerous than backcountry skiing and likely to take up a hospital bed? Driving. People need to get some perspective and chill out.

Tahoe locals who want to be angry? Yell at the resorts that didn’t close before last weekend when it was obvious the snow was going to bring up hoards of people.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Apparently, no fishing in Nevada county for fun. Doesn’t address bc skiing, but I bet Caleb would answer you if asked. He’s a friendly guy https://211connectingpoint.org/wp-co...Draft.KLE_.pdf
    That’s sadly necessary. You know that if they “allowed” fishing all of the crowded spots would be packed with people. Folks would launching kayaks, cleaning fish and using public restrooms. Take your fishing pole somewhere relatively remote (think hike to spot), socially distance yourself and you will be fine.

#slipperyslopes

Aren’t you worried you’ll get an extra strong dose of Teh Chemtrailz when you are climbing above sheeple altitude? I mean seems like they’d be spraying Teh extra mind special mind controlling Chemtrailz to keep everyone coronavibing

Damn, sorry to hear about the ankle.

Quote Originally Posted by Mokomahonah View Post
    What stoke I can provide with a (turns out it's broken) bum ankle.

Bunch of new tracks down red dog today, couple on KT nose, one person through banana chute. How many extra GNAR points do you get if you stop halfway down to cough?

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    Aren’t you worried you’ll get an extra strong dose of Teh Chemtrailz when you are climbing above sheeple altitude? I mean seems like they’d be spraying Teh extra mind special mind controlling Chemtrailz to keep everyone coronavibing
    For realz, I image all cloudseeding efforts in the Sierra dosing the sky.

Told you I’ve been collecting some vhs rarities...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6557.JPG 
Views:	142 
Size:	214.8 KB 
ID:	321407